Mass CS spell? 01/03/2020 12:00 AM CST
Are we ever going to get this?

Suggest open cast version of 719 - Dark Conduit

All sorcerers can evoke 719 for mass attack option. This will result in less of a mana return than the targeted version.

Runestaff users can use the runestaff as a conduit to draw ambient mana and disperse to attack foes in the area.

Channel 719 to cast. Channel runestaff to maintain for up to 15 minutes. Duration can be based on harness power and mana controls.

Eventually we'll fatigue and/or the runestaff will get too hot, or something, to limit the frequency. Frequency can be based on MIU, DIS, and CON

Group-friendly
Re: Mass CS spell? 01/03/2020 01:02 PM CST
We have mass 717, albeit harder to use. The spell I endorse is evoked 718. Right now the spell is underutilized because it's far less effective than any of our other single-target options, and comes with unnecessary risk. Make it our primary mass attack spell (evoked), and will help fill the void for group hunting and undead/elemental swarms.

Sorcerers are intentionally designed to be limited vs swarms, but they are the best at controlling them. In the end, 718 would be substantially weaker than the majority of other offensive options, so it would prevent making sorcerers the kings of all forms of combat. Also, demonology is the primary lore that drives 718, and also drives 713 - which would be our primary lore for improving mass attack capability.
Re: Mass CS spell? 01/21/2020 08:58 AM CST
717 is not loot-friendly when they run to the hills.
718 is slow and dangerous. I imagine there would be severe demon lore requirements and/or penalties to mass attacks.

I feel mass 719 is the sweet spot. Plus, I like the visual of ripping mana from a swarm and converting it into elemental damage. Just trying to keep up with other professions besides setting up the bolters/swingers with 709.
Re: Mass CS spell? 01/30/2020 11:22 AM CST
Mass 719 would be more powerful than most mass spells in the game. I don't think you'll see this happen.

718 is not very dangerous when used properly. I would propose that evoked 718 would only last for a single round, which would help reduce the risk. There have been lots of discussions about mass CS for sorcerers, and many times it's been indicated that Sorcerers were not designed to be masters of area damage. As the game progresses, that limitation seems flawed.

Another suggestion is to allow you to EXHALE or INFECT your current 716 charges against the entire room. Cast 716 on yourself, then use a special verb to have it cast the targeted version of 716 on up to as many targets as you can store charges. This would, of course, exhaust your 716 very quickly and require you to reapply the spell, but that way a Sorcerer could have meaningful area damage without becoming the most powerful area damaging spell caster in the game.

A level 16 sorcerer with 0 ranks in Necromancy Lore will be able to hit 5 targets in this case. The spell deals concussion and disintegrate damage as well as applies a DoT to targets that fail warding. At 100 ranks in necromancy lore, you could unleash 716 upon as many as 13 targets at once.

For balance reasons, I believe using the verb to unleash 716 on a group of targets should remove the buff even if you don't hit as many targets as you have charges. The reason is because it costs only 16 mana to cast this spell on yourself, and thus it would be a fairly inexpensive spell for area damage.