New Monk Advice 07/15/2020 12:49 PM CDT

I've been been able to title a square. As a matter of fact, I've tried warrior several times and just can't get past 10th level. I have a rogue that is about 17th level, but I've had him for about 15 years, and he got his last level from picking from the new pool. I don't enjoy hunting with him. Both of those characters feel slow and laborious to me compared to my semis and pures. A friend suggested that I might like monk as a square, but I've never really paid much attention to them. I barely understand them, and realize that playing one is going to feel like playing a new game. But I'm also worried about feeling laborious like warriors.

Could you share with me what you like about playing a monk? How do you feel it compares to playing a warrior? Do you agree that if I don't like playing a warrior, I probably won't like a monk either? Or are they very different?
Re: New Monk Advice 07/15/2020 03:07 PM CDT
The UCS is completely different, because you might not want to do another of the same attack you just did, if by doing a different one you can do a better one.
There are 4 different attacks: Jab/2s, Grapple & Punch/both 3s, and Kick/4s.
You can QStrike with any/all of them.
If you MStrike, and one of your targets is set to give you a better attack, you will automatically do <that one> rather than what you specified. (So "mstrike grapple" but one of the targets is ready to give you a tier up with 'kick', against that target you do a Kick, not a Grapple.)
You can QStrike your MStrike.

I suggest that you read Flimbo's guide, on the GSWiki.

Mine is a few thousand from 54th level, and I've enjoyed it.

In fact, I enjoyed it so much that when I was getting ready to score a few experience to make level--I think my Ranger had been stuck at 17th level, and I really kind of wanted access to Mobility...--I switched him over to Brawling to use that, instead of a regular weapon.

However, my new Paladin I am using an actual weapon, since I found a +12AS/+8DS (imflass, Defender, Holy so "Paladin") katana, and that just screamed out for that character. <shrug>

You do what feels right for each character.
Re: New Monk Advice 07/15/2020 11:43 PM CDT
Try it. Its more like a semi than a warrior at low level. If EBP is one of the things that make a warrior seem laborious, then UCS is for you.