Monk TATTOO Ability 06/12/2020 02:01 PM CDT
The TATTOO verb has been released. With it, any player can view their TATTOO INVENTORY and a TATTOO MENU of flash tattoos available.

Monks of at least level 20 are able to ink mundane tattoos from the TATTOO MENU upon themselves and others. The process requires a Monk own a tattooist's needle and ink. These can be found at your local alchemist's shop. A needle costs 2k silver, and ink costs 50k silver per dose. Ink can be POURed into other ink to combine up to 10 doses.

Monks can enhance non-special tattoos into Mystic Tattoos. Mystic Tattoos have 5 circles (a.k.a. tiers), with each circle providing +1 stat bonus (i.e. +2 stat base) of your choice (but the stat selection is locked in when first applied). Making these requires earning Motes of Tranquility by absorbing experience (via an exp pulse or offline exp absorption). Experience absorption modifiers such as Gift of Lumnis and RPAs apply, but instant exp absorption such as BOOST ABSORB or Rings of Lumnis brooches do not. There is a weekly cap of 50,000 Motes of Tranquility and a total cap of 200,000. It takes 50,000/75,000/100,000/125,000/150,000 Motes of Tranquility to reach circle 1/2/3/4/5. Thus, to go from a mundane tattoo to a Mystic Tattoo of the fifth circle requires 10 weeks of capped Motes of Tranquility. Current Motes of Tranquility are displayed using TATTOO (in character description) or RESOURCE (numerical readout).

A Mystic Tattoo is a normal, non-crumbly enhancive with 100 charges, but can only be recharged by a Monk. A character may only have one Mystic Tattoo at a time. There is a skill check based upon expected monk training, such that the circles are achievable around levels 20, 40, 60, 80, and 100. Each also costs ink doses equal to the circle. Failure to create a Mystic Tattoo results in a loss of 10% of the required Motes and one dose of ink. Monks automatically recharge Mystic Tattoos every time they upgrade the tattoo; also they can charge them at a cost of 1000 Motes of Tranquility per charge. Note that a typical 100-charge enhancive lasts a very long time. For comparison, Premium Point enhancives have 200 charges and often last most players many years before needing to be recharged.

Success factors for the skill check for TATTOOing are Monk level, Dexterity bonus, Discipline bonus, Physical Fitness ranks, First Aid ranks, Minor Mental and Minor Spiritual spell ranks, Arcane Symbols ranks, Mental and Spiritual Mana Control ranks, Mental Lore, Transformation skill bonus (when applying a tattoo to yourself) and Mental Lore, Telepathy (when applying a tattoo to others). The circle of the mystic tattoo, injuries, and low spirit apply penalties to the skill check. The Gift of Eonak crafting roll applies to these checks.

GameMaster Oscuro
Re: Monk TATTOO Ability 06/12/2020 02:31 PM CDT
Exciting release!

Warriors next? :D
Re: Monk TATTOO Ability 06/12/2020 02:31 PM CDT
I foresee a whole buncha Monks getting more play time in the immediate future. :)

Fortunately for me, that's the character that I'm working on right now anyhow...
Re: Monk TATTOO Ability 06/12/2020 03:05 PM CDT
There are no supplies in the Solhaven alchemist shop and the FWI shop's prices are a bit more. Is there something different about these supplies? Also, could there be a case or kit in the future to store these supplies that are specific to them?

Thank you.

Speaking softly to Raelee, Kilthal says, "Many things would be different if people listened to ye."

Speaking to Kilthal, Raelee says, "Believe me. I am painfully aware of that."
Re: Monk TATTOO Ability 06/12/2020 03:37 PM CDT
Sweet! Looking forward to some Monk-time now, to see how easy it is for my monk to make tattoos!

~Cylnthia Kythnis Ardenai
~Paragon of Kuon
~Rose Guardian, House Sylvanfair
Re: Monk TATTOO Ability 06/16/2020 11:01 PM CDT
I just rolled in a small update to the TATTOO verb. Monks can view their TATTOO STATS now. This tells you how many mundane tattoos you've made and how many motes of tranquility you've collectively spent on making, upgrading, and charging mystic tattoos successfully (failures don't contribute). There's also a couple titles available for when you've reached epic heights in these values.

GameMaster Oscuro
Re: Monk TATTOO Ability 06/17/2020 08:19 AM CDT
"how many motes of tranquility you've collectively spent on making, upgrading, and charging mystic tattoos successfully (failures don't contribute)" -- Oscuro

Since a failed Mystic bears a cost in Motes, can you include the tally of "how much you've lost by failure(s) you incompetent n00b", as well?
That way all the numbers should add up properly, rather than having... missing dark matter, like with Earthen Fury numbers.
Re: Monk TATTOO Ability 06/17/2020 08:39 AM CDT
>>Since a failed Mystic bears a cost in Motes, can you include the tally of "how much you've lost by failure(s) you incompetent n00b", as well? That way all the numbers should add up properly, rather than having... missing dark matter, like with Earthen Fury numbers.

I have already exceeded my data allotment for TATTOO.

GameMaster Oscuro
Re: Monk TATTOO Ability 06/19/2020 05:29 PM CDT
I might have missed this, but are monk tattoos subject to the same enhancive cap (+40 base stat or skill bonus) or are they outside of that?
Re: Monk TATTOO Ability 06/19/2020 05:31 PM CDT
Cap is cap. How you get to cap is many and varied, now including monk artistical drawings. But cap is still cap.

Doug
Re: Monk TATTOO Ability 06/19/2020 06:02 PM CDT
Cap is cap...
...except of Ascension bonuses, which they said are going to be different.

Resistances, on the other hand, are not going to be additive; you only get the best one if you have the same thing from two sources.
Re: Monk TATTOO Ability 06/20/2020 07:35 AM CDT
>> Cap is cap...

>>> ...except of Ascension bonuses, which they said are going to be different.

Yeah. I thought that was an odd decision there...

-- Robert

>> A halfling magistrate picks up a small rock and throws it at a half-elven bandit in a valiant effort to subdue him.
Re: Monk TATTOO Ability 06/24/2020 05:09 PM CDT
When a Mystic Tattoo is about to run out of charges, does it give the same, normal message about "an item in your inventory is nearly out"?
Re: Monk TATTOO Ability 07/09/2020 11:50 PM CDT
There was a bug where free-to-play Monks were not having their Motes of Tranquility weekly cap reset each week (since they don't normally have a Gift of Lumnis). It will now reset for them weekly on Sundays at midnight. I apologize for the delay.

GameMaster Oscuro
Re: Monk TATTOO Ability 07/21/2020 08:30 AM CDT
"When a Mystic Tattoo is about to run out of charges, does it give the same, normal message about "an item in your inventory is nearly out"?" -- Me, #88

Giving a bump to this, since I don't recall seeing an answer

And separately, since there's another run coming up next month...

"an old enhancive max paper", 10,000 bloodscrip, "The bearer of this paper is entitled to have their enhancive MAX CHARGES increased by +50 up to a max of 500. (Current charges will also be increased by 50.)"

Will these work with Mystic Tattoos?
Re: Monk TATTOO Ability 07/21/2020 07:15 PM CDT
>>"When a Mystic Tattoo is about to run out of charges, does it give the same, normal message about "an item in your inventory is nearly out"?" -- Me, #88

It should, yes, since that's a standard feature of the enhancive system. Note that you can see the exact number of the charges with TATTOO INVENTORY and the tattoo doesn't crumble either so if you miss that messaging, you're not out of luck. Running out of charges does not make the tattoo stop being a mystic tattoo. You can wait for it to drain completely and then have a Monk recharge it.

>>"an old enhancive max paper", 10,000 bloodscrip, "The bearer of this paper is entitled to have their enhancive MAX CHARGES increased by +50 up to a max of 500. (Current charges will also be increased by 50.)"

>>Will these work with Mystic Tattoos?

No. They're not eligible on any enhancive items that aren't rechargeable under normal recharging rules for enhancives, such as prizes from Night at the Academy or Mystic Tattoos.

GameMaster Oscuro
Re: Monk TATTOO Ability 07/21/2020 08:43 PM CDT
Good info to have, thanks for answering!