Upcoming TATTOO Ability 05/18/2020 10:44 PM CDT
Greetings,

I just wanted to give Monks a heads up about an ability we're planning for them. It is not yet released, but it is approved and is actively being coded, but the details are still subject to change. We wanted to hear your feedback. I'll be monitoring this folder over the next couple weeks, but you can also join in the conversation on the official Discord in the #mechanics channel. Here's the ability:

Monks (of at least level 20) will be able to ink mundane tattoos on themself and others.

Monks can enhance non-special tattoos into Mystic Tattoos. Mystic Tattoos have 5 circles (a.k.a. tiers), with each circle providing +1 stat bonus (i.e. +2 stat base) of your choice (but the stat selection is locked in when first applied). Making these requires earning Motes of Tranquility by absorbing experience (via an exp pulse or offline exp absorption). Experience absorption modifiers such as Gift of Lumnis and RPAs apply, but instant exp absorption such as BOOST ABSORB or Rings of Lumnis brooches do not. There is a weekly cap of 50,000 Motes of Tranquility and a total cap of 200,000. It takes 50,000/75,000/100,000/125,000/150,000 Motes of Tranquility to reach circle 1/2/3/4/5. Thus, to go from a mundane tattoo to a Mystic Tattoo of the fifth circle requires 10 weeks of capped Motes of Tranquility.

A Mystic Tattoo is a normal, non-crumbly enhancive with 100 charges, but can only be recharged by a Monk. A character may only have one Mystic Tattoo at a time. There is a skill check based upon expected monk training, such that the circles are achievable around levels 20, 40, 60, 80, and 100. Each also costs ink doses equal to the circle, where a dose is 50k silvers. Failure to create a Mystic Tattoo results in a loss of 10% of the required Motes and one dose of ink. Monks automatically recharge Mystic Tattoos every time they upgrade the tattoo; also they can charge them at a cost of 1000 Motes of Tranquility per charge. Note that a typical 100-charge enhancive lasts a very long time. For comparison, Premium Point enhancives have 200 charges and often last most players many years before needing to be recharged.

GameMaster Oscuro
Re: Upcoming TATTOO Ability 05/18/2020 10:57 PM CDT
So hype!

AuchandToday at 11:28 PM
I would like to reiterate: Whick is my hero.

What is love? BB don't hurt me05/13/2020
Whick's so helpful! He's our villain even in our backchannel chatter as staff. :smile:
Re: Upcoming TATTOO Ability 05/18/2020 11:00 PM CDT
Overall, this is an awesome change. Really love the idea and glad its something for the character rather than another thing to add to items.

Only concern I have is the temporary nature of it - yes 100 charges can last for a while but since these are on the character, they'll always be draining even if you're just sitting around doing RP or goofing off. How will we be able to check the charges if they can't be loresung to? Speaking as a player, I hate the maintenance of checking charges and worrying where it is.

I would really like to see a base permanent effect that stays on regardless of charges. One suggestion I saw is that it'll always have a base T1 level of capability when out of charges. I like that idea and +2 to one stat would hardly change things much to worry about balance-wise.
Re: Upcoming TATTOO Ability 05/18/2020 11:54 PM CDT
>>they'll always be draining even if you're just sitting around doing RP or goofing off.

That's what enhancive pauses are for.

>>How will we be able to check the charges if they can't be loresung to?

>tattoo inventory
You possess the following tattoos:
an enruned gold-inked band on your finger (exposed), which is a special tattoo
a pretty mermaid tattoo on your chest (covered)
a tranquil monk tattoo on your neck (exposed), which is a mystic tattoo of the first circle (100 of 100 charges remaining)

That's the current plan to solve that problem.

>>I would really like to see a base permanent effect that stays on regardless of charges.

If you're worried about it not lasting long enough, then spend a while between upgrades and you'll get more bang for your silver since upgrading comes with a free recharge.

GameMaster Oscuro
Re: Upcoming TATTOO Ability 05/19/2020 12:35 AM CDT

Love this design. Thank you for coming up with, designing, and sharing with us.
Re: Upcoming TATTOO Ability 05/19/2020 01:05 AM CDT
>>they'll always be draining even if you're just sitting around doing RP or goofing off.

That's what enhancive pauses are for.

Well, enhancive pauses are limited by login rewards so unless you intend for 5 (x5) RP/goof off periods per month, that's not an option, plus giving up the ability to use enhancive stats/recovery.

Unless you're bringing up having people buy simucoin items to allow for this, which I completely disagree with taking into account.
Re: Upcoming TATTOO Ability 05/19/2020 03:03 AM CDT
Enhancive pauses won't limit enhancive stat/recovery.

They were given away in giftboxes, you now get simucoins every month if a subscriber to purchase, they drop daily while hunting, they are gien freely for logging in as boost rewards, they are given out at events as prizes/rewards, they are incredibly cheap in the store and as a result of events are likely available in playershops and/or could be negotiated from a player for silvers.

Neat new professional ability!
Re: Upcoming TATTOO Ability 05/19/2020 03:22 AM CDT
This ability is super exciting and I'm looking forward to it.
Best part to me is the sheer imagination. I've so often gone through the thought exercise of a profession service for monks, would never have thought of this, and yet it's so elegant and fitting!

https://gswiki.play.net/Leafiara
Re: Upcoming TATTOO Ability 05/19/2020 08:21 AM CDT
I'm feeling some Grimnoir kanji effects!
(Larry Correia's series of books, available on Baen's website: https://www.baen.com/allbooks/category/index/id/2126 )

Do they count as worn?

If so, do they count as Functional?
Re: Upcoming TATTOO Ability 05/19/2020 09:32 AM CDT
Neat idea!

-- Robert

>> A halfling magistrate picks up a small rock and throws it at a half-elven bandit in a valiant effort to subdue him.
Re: Upcoming TATTOO Ability 05/19/2020 01:00 PM CDT
Love this idea, hope it gets implemented very soon!

Valdarrow
Re: Upcoming TATTOO Ability 05/20/2020 07:38 AM CDT
Awesome addition.

If you don't want to mess with charges and maintaining a temporary enhancive, then sell the service to another player. I guarantee you will be able to find a buyer. In the end, players have been clamoring for services for each profession and this is definitely a service. In fact it's a great service BECAUSE it's temporary. At a certain point, it is possible for the market to saturate from enchant and ensorcel (unlikely but possible).

As I gaze over the horizon, the wind tugs at my cloak and whispers, "Adventure" in my ear.

A squeaky halfling nearby asks, "Why you playing with orcs heads and troll rearends?!"

Re: Upcoming TATTOO Ability 05/23/2020 12:38 AM CDT
Is the stat bonus from the tattoo limited by the +20 stat bonus cap on enhancives? or is it it's own seperate entity?
Re: Upcoming TATTOO Ability 05/23/2020 11:17 AM CDT
>>Is the stat bonus from the tattoo limited by the +20 stat bonus cap on enhancives? or is it it's own seperate entity?

Yes, normal enhancive limits apply.

GameMaster Oscuro
Re: Upcoming TATTOO Ability 06/10/2020 04:04 PM CDT
A couple of thoughts:
1) Rather than "One Mystic Tattoo" (with a max cap of Tier5, having gone through 1/2/3/4), would you be at all amenable to "a maximum of 15 points' of TierValue"? Maybe this particular character wants 5x Tier2 to boost up a bunch of stats by a small amount. (== 5x (1+2) == 5x 3 == 15, as opposed to 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 == 15)

and

2) Are these considered 'items'? How will they work with, for example, some HESS goodness?
"an old enhancive max paper" - 10,000bs - The bearer of this paper is entitled to have their enhancive MAX CHARGES increased by +50 up to a max of 500. (Current charges will also be increased by 50.)
"a stained enhancive stat papyrus" - 50,000bs - The bearer of this papyrus is entitled to have a single enhancive BASE STAT (NOT bonus) -- increased by +1. (Cap at +20; can't add a non-existing bonus) Limit to 2 of these services per item.
Re: Upcoming TATTOO Ability 06/11/2020 07:10 PM CDT
>>1) Rather than "One Mystic Tattoo" (with a max cap of Tier5, having gone through 1/2/3/4), would you be at all amenable to "a maximum of 15 points' of TierValue"? Maybe this particular character wants 5x Tier2 to boost up a bunch of stats by a small amount. (== 5x (1+2) == 5x 3 == 15, as opposed to 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 == 15)

No. We're not going to increase this from +5 max to +15 and we're not letting it spread across different stats.

>>2) Are these considered 'items'? How will they work with, for example, some HESS goodness?
"an old enhancive max paper" - 10,000bs - The bearer of this paper is entitled to have their enhancive MAX CHARGES increased by +50 up to a max of 500. (Current charges will also be increased by 50.)
"a stained enhancive stat papyrus" - 50,000bs - The bearer of this papyrus is entitled to have a single enhancive BASE STAT (NOT bonus) -- increased by +1. (Cap at +20; can't add a non-existing bonus) Limit to 2 of these services per item.

Yes, tattoos are items in the sense that they count towards inventory limits, etc. No, they can't be worked on by any kind of merchant service outside of just altering their description. HESS services don't apply, merchant recharging doesn't apply, they can't become specially scripted tattoos, etc. etc.

GameMaster Oscuro
Re: Upcoming TATTOO Ability 06/12/2020 08:28 AM CDT
"We're not going to increase this from +5 max to +15" -- Oscuro

You mis-read my question; I was describing the costs similar to a Seed1 progression, and then amortizing those costs across multiple, smaller benefits.
Though I agree that it would have netted out to a higher total amount of bonuses, they would not all have been on the same stat. <shrug>
(And the total cost would have been commensurately higher, as well.)

"and we're not letting it spread across different stats." -- ibid

Well, phooie. :(

"Yes, tattoos are items in the sense that they count towards inventory limits, etc. No, they can't be worked on by any kind of merchant service outside of just altering their description. HESS services don't apply, merchant recharging doesn't apply, they can't become specially scripted tattoos, etc. etc." -- ibid

Good clarification, thanks!
Re: Upcoming TATTOO Ability 07/09/2020 07:21 PM CDT

Good afternoon, Oscuro,

With the unwashed masses now stampeding towards the nearest monk or tattoo wagon: can the stock tattoo list be updated to include cultural symbols?

I noticed that none of the Erithi culture symbols have stock tattoos available (except butterflies).

For Erithians, here is the list of their symbols.

grey owl tattoo
silver ram tattoo
white ram tattoo
bronze nautilus shell tattoo
golden nautilus shell tattoo
white nautilus shell tattoo
silver salmon tattoo
grey falcon tattoo
white falcon tattoo

I spent a little time browsing the cultures for Aeloti, dwarves, and gnomes, and the tattoo list seems to be good here. Gnomish bloodmark tattoos are already available, and I did not find a "symbol" for the various Aeloti and dwarven cultures.

Thank you,

Shield