New Armor specialization proposed for Rogues, Warriors and Monks now in QC 02/12/2020 03:03 PM CST
Heard this recently on Discord

Skill Name: Light Armor Mastery

Mnemonic: lightarmor

Other Requirements: Available to: Warriors, Rogues, Monks.

Prerequisites: None

Armor Point Cost: Rank 1: 20 Rank 2: 30

Description: You are able to capitalize on your maneuverability in light armor to reduce the effects of magical warding attacks and increase your effectiveness at maneuvers and evasion. At rank 1, you gain a CvA bonus of (70 - (AG * 20))% of the highest AsG you have fully trained. At rank 2, you gain a (20 - (AG * 5)) bonus to your maneuver rolls and a (25 - (AsG * 5))% to gain Evasiveness when evading an attack. Evasiveness prevents one attack or spell from harming you and lasts up to 30 seconds. When this effect ends, this ability has a 10 second cooldown.

Also, Armored Reinforcement, Armored Stealth, and Armored Evasion are being reduced to 150 armor points.

Cloth, Leather, Scale, with scaling benefits based on description there.

If you have 200 ranks of armor you can get light armor mastery and 5 ranks of evasion/stealth

Wolfloner's player
Re: New Armor specialization proposed for Rogues, Warriors and Monks now in QC 02/12/2020 04:37 PM CST
As written, if you know a lot about armor--many characters currently train a lot of Armor Use to take advantage of the overtraining benefits--then you would get LESS of a CvA bonus than some schlub wearing robes knowing nothing.

And by definition, someone trained at rank2 knows 50 ranks of Armor, which is enough for AsG13/chain mail. (Both my Bard & Thief are trained up to here.)

Literally, going from "rank1 knowledge" [enough for AsG11/studded leather] to "rank2 knowledge" [as above] COSTS you 20 points of CvA. (Or it would, if you could successfully go DOWN twenty points from the 10 conferred for AG3/hard leather. 70 - 3*20 == 10, and chain would be AG4.)

Unless either it got written out to Discord wrong, or I'm reading it wrong, or they re-number the Armor Groups (where Plate is now 4) and didn't tell me... Yeah, seems useless.
Re: New Armor specialization proposed for Rogues, Warriors and Monks now in QC 02/12/2020 08:32 PM CST
You are confusing what you are wearing and what knowledge you have. Wearing heavier armor gets you less bonus, knowing how to wear heavier armor gets you more bonus. You've only got half the formula there, so its only the bit about wearing heavier armor giving less bonus that's explicit.
Re: New Armor specialization proposed for Rogues, Warriors and Monks now in QC 02/13/2020 06:14 AM CST
I'll be happy to adjust my thinking based on more complete information, but I'll stick to my "As written..." analysis. What it said was "knowledge", so I went with "knowing ranks of Armor Use". <shrug>

If there's more formulae, fine, I'll read those, but as it stands? Not a winner.
Re: New Armor specialization proposed for Rogues, Warriors and Monks now in QC 02/14/2020 01:04 AM CST
>At rank 1, you gain a CvA bonus of (70 - (AG * 20))% of the highest AsG you have fully trained.

AG is what you are wearing. Since you are interpreting it as what you are trained for, you are getting silly results.

i.e if you are wearing AG 1 you get a bonus of 50% of the CvA difference between what you are wearing and what you are trained for.
if you are wearing AG 2 you get a bonus of 30% of the somewhat smaller difference.

So in robes with 140 ranks. Trained for full plate (-21) wearing robes (15) bonus is 50% of 36 = 18 actual CvA -3.
Put on doubles (12) instead. Bonus is now 30% of 33 = 9 actual CvA 3
Put on brig (2) instead. Bonus is now 10% of 23 = 2 actual CvA 0
Heavier armor, less bonus, may or may not lead to an improvement in CvA overall.

Drop your training to 70 ranks, now only trained for Aug chain (-8),
In robes, bonus 50% of 23 = 11, actual CvA 4.
Less training, worse CvA.

It may get tinkered with before release, but as it stands those numbers are a big deal for a monk's ability to improve CvA post cap.
Re: New Armor specialization proposed for Rogues, Warriors and Monks now in QC 02/14/2020 08:49 AM CST
What you have written out makes a lot more sense.

It would be nice if they included "...and THIS acronym refers to what you are actually wearing..." somewhere in the write-up, since otherwise it is absurd.

Thanks!

I agree with it being a big help: I'm already noticing weaknesses toward Warding spells, and I'm nowhere near cap, but I knew up front that it was a weakness for Monks using Iron Skin/1202.

But is the Armor Specialization going to be expanded to Monks? Currently still only Warriors, Rogues, and Paladins. (Which I still disagree with, since ONLY one Semi has access to it; why no love for Rangers and Bards? But that's a separate fight.)
Re: New Armor specialization proposed for Rogues, Warriors and Monks now in QC 02/14/2020 09:39 AM CST

It is for warrior rogue and monk only. Looking forward to this release myself!
Re: New Armor specialization proposed for Rogues, Warriors and Monks now in QC 02/14/2020 01:05 PM CST
My primary point was that Monks do not currently even HAVE Armor Specialization.
Is that being expanded?

The secondarily, since Paladins are Semis and do, why no love for Rangers & Bards?
Could that be expanded?
Re: New Armor specialization proposed for Rogues, Warriors and Monks now in QC 02/14/2020 02:28 PM CST
KRAKII
My primary point was that Monks do not currently even HAVE Armor Specialization.
Is that being expanded?

Yes.

KRAKII
The secondarily, since Paladins are Semis and do, why no love for Rangers & Bards?
Could that be expanded?

There are no current plans to, but anything is possible (just as we're doing so now for Monks). The original design for Armor Specializations was to create new shareable services for Squares to offer other professions. Light Armor Mastery doesn't fit that criteria, but it also makes more sense as an "Armor Specialization" than a "Combat Maneuver" and allows us to provide incentive for lighter armors. Rangers and Bards already have numerous shareable services and a reason to consider lighter vs. heavier armor (spell hindrance) so there's less reason for them needing Armor Specializations.

GameMaster Estild
Re: New Armor specialization proposed for Rogues, Warriors and Monks now in QC 02/14/2020 02:59 PM CST
Thanks, Estild!

(And consider re-phrasing the original description to include the specification of "the armor you are actually wearing", too... :)