Staff Mastery 09/27/2018 03:14 PM CDT
As another option to help improve the options available to Monks, I would like to suggest a Staff Mastery CMAN.

This would be utilized by Two-Handed Weapon trained monks. In lieu of having access to wspec, bonding options, and other various CMANs, Staff Mastery would provide the monk with the ability to improve the DF and AvD of a Quarterstaff to that equal to a higher damaging weapon. For example, a full master of the staff would be able to wield the weapon with the same DF and AvD of a Battleaxe.

The advantage here is that the weapon speed and weight is significantly lower than a Battleaxe (for example). This comes with three advantages.

1. The monk would be able to achieve minimum (5s) RT without additional AGIDEX training.

2. A staff would be easier to aim, therefore the monk would be able to make very precise attacks from the open - striking their aimed target more easily than other THW weapon types.

3. A staff is the fastest base RT and lightest weapon available in the THW weapon list. This means it will combine extremely well with MSTRIKE. The MSTRIKE recovery time will be the lowest of all THW options, and it will be easier to train the additional RT down due to the weapon speed and weight. This means a Monk would be able to mstrike more frequently with a weapon that can deal damage equal to that of a heavier THW.

I feel having a mastery such as this would allow monks to expand beyond the UCS into other weapon styles while it comes with the specific limitation of using a Quarterstaff as your weapon of choice. Since Monks do not have access to the major weapon specializations, their AS and associated CMAN skills would not be as powerful as that of a warrior/rogue/paladin wielder of other THW types, but they can make up for that lower AS with speed, accuracy, and mstrike options.
Re: Staff Mastery 09/27/2018 03:17 PM CDT
"We're masters of Mental Magic! We just make you think you got hit by a battle-axe!"
Re: Staff Mastery 09/27/2018 03:46 PM CDT
Well sure, but it was more along the lines of -- getting hit by someone using a staff who has mastered the martial art of using a staff is going to hurt a TON more than someone who just picked up a big stick and started swinging it around. Mostly because they know the forms and techniques necessary to make a light weight weapon hit incredibly hard.
Re: Staff Mastery 09/28/2018 01:13 AM CDT
I like this idea a lot.

As I gaze over the horizon, the wind tugs at my cloak and whispers, "Adventure" in my ear.

Whick's body sways back and forth for a bit.
* Whick drops dead at your feet!