ESN: Moar Experience! 11/16/2017 11:52 AM CST
On the second day of ESN:

1) The amount of experience awarded from abdomen, chest, back, and neck wounds has been increased! All of these wound types were awarding less experience than we felt they should be given the severity of bleeding they can cause as well as the mana/RT cost and time to heal them. For those curious about numbers, this ROUGHLY equates to an 18% overall increase in the amount of experience gained from healing.

2) Empaths level 1 to 10 get a buff to experience starting at a 2.0 multiplier at level 1 and decreasing by 0.1 every level until level 11. This change was made to encourage players who made an empath with the goal of healing to be able to do that with more ease early on.

Let me know if you have any questions/thoughts/concerns. Enjoy!

~ Konacon
Re: ESN: Moar Experience! 11/16/2017 12:17 PM CST
BLATANT FAVORITISM!

How come Clerics don't get an experience multiplier for the first ten levels, to help all of their Raising experience absorption?!?!?

It's an OUTRAGE!

<flee!>
Re: ESN: Moar Experience! 11/16/2017 12:45 PM CST
Very nice. Thanks a bunch, Konacon and team!
Re: ESN: Moar Experience! 11/16/2017 12:53 PM CST
<How come Clerics don't get an experience multiplier for the first ten levels, to help all of their Raising experience absorption?!?!?>

Ha! Thanks for the chuckle.

<2) Empaths level 1 to 10 get a buff to experience starting at a 2.0 multiplier at level 1 and decreasing by 0.1 every level until level 11. This change was made to encourage players who made an empath with the goal of healing to be able to do that with more ease early on>

While a boost to EXP doesn't hurt, if the goal is to encourage people that want to be town healers, this isn't going to make a dent in it. Outside of TSC, there's the same chicken and egg scenario going on with healing that there is with lockpicking. As people have moved towards self-sufficiency they've started relying mostly or exclusively on herbs and/or pocket healers, esp for bleeders that grant the most EXP. Meanwhile, healers have been getting bored sitting around traditional healing spots seeing maybe one or two folk an hour that pop in to have their scratches taken (to get rid of rank 2-3 scars) and leave almost immediately... so they've either taken up hunting and are never around healing spots (cause the only time anyone ever comes in for healing is when you JUST finished spelling up to hunt) or have become pocket healers.

If you want healing empaths (or even healing between hunts) to become more popular, I'd suggest something like a % chance that both healer and patient get a deed if the deities they're CONVERTed to are in the same pantheon.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: ESN: Moar Experience! 11/16/2017 01:04 PM CST
> If you want healing empaths (or even healing between hunts) to become more popular, I'd suggest something like a % chance that both healer and patient get a deed if the deities they're CONVERTed to are in the same pantheon.

That's an interesting idea.
Re: ESN: Moar Experience! 11/16/2017 01:06 PM CST
Cool on the exp change!

Pleasantly surprised about linking - I thought that was coming.

Now wondering if you decided to go after the most useless spell in any spell list: Cry for Help.

Rishi
- Player of Kembal

Speaking to Plur, Belnia says, "You're no Kembal."

[Roll result: -2112 (open d100: 82)]
A giantman thief crouches and sweeps a leg at you, but only manages to trip himself.
Re: ESN: Moar Experience! 11/16/2017 01:34 PM CST
> While a boost to EXP doesn't hurt, if the goal is to encourage people that want to be town healers, this isn't going to make a dent in it...

It's only day 2 of ESN! There are more things to come, and this is not the only one meant to encourage people that want to be town healers. Whether or not the entire review is successful at that will take a while to determine, but I'm hopeful!

> Pleasantly surprised about linking - I thought that was coming.

Full honesty here, I was actually REALLY excited about the idea I had which did require linking, but was convinced that it wasn't the right path to go down. I think there's a lot of potential behind linking, but requiring it for everyone wasn't the right way to go about it.

> Now wondering if you decided to go after the most useless spell in any spell list: Cry for Help.

Wait and see!

~ Konacon
Re: ESN: Moar Experience! 11/16/2017 01:41 PM CST
You want to see people tracking down healers, do something serious to make it worth the person's time to be there.

Like "have a severe wound taken, get a half-pulse from bucket to absorbed." (Like if you turned in a guild task. Immediate payoff.)
Re: ESN: Moar Experience! 11/16/2017 02:11 PM CST
>It's only day 2 of ESN!

This feels like the 12 days of Christmas, expect ten times as awesome.

~Land Pirate Maylan~
Re: ESN: Moar Experience! 11/16/2017 03:11 PM CST
Very nifty changes so far. Go go, Konacode!

~Amanda, player of Treeva
Re: ESN: Moar Experience! 11/16/2017 03:56 PM CST
<<This feels like the 12 days of Christmas, expect ten times as awesome.

What Konacon hasn't told y'all is that for every "day of Christmas" empaths are required to perma-wear a new piece of fluff. It's part of his Konacode. *nods sagely*

~Aulis
Platinum Co-Guru
Forums Manager
QC'er
Re: ESN: Moar Experience! 11/16/2017 04:50 PM CST
>>What Konacon hasn't told y'all is that for every "day of Christmas" empaths are required to perma-wear a new piece of fluff. It's part of his Konacode. *nods sagely*

Are you going to come do alters on all of them? My empath is a giantman, so I am okay with this idea, but now you need to come make them all fancy. :P

_ _ _
Wyrom gestures at you, causing you to explode.
Re: ESN: Moar Experience! 11/16/2017 05:00 PM CST
What Konacon hasn't told y'all is that for every "day of Christmas" empaths are required to perma-wear a new piece of fluff. It's part of his Konacode. *nods sagely*

Every required piece of fluff shall be a new pegleg for Maylan to celebrate the fact that we no longer fall down.

https://tinyurl.com/y7jynl6q

~Land Pirate Maylan~
Re: ESN: Moar Experience! 11/17/2017 05:45 AM CST
Konacon: a request for ESN - can you add a 30sec timer countdown or something to F2P empath's so they know how the linking is? I find linking to be an extremely pain but doesn't seem like its going anywhere. However, could you allow blood healing to not require linking, thus there's none of the you're bleeding to death and I can't do anything about it.

Additionally, can the list of last 10 healers be shown so they'll know who can't be healed? In some locations at off hours, there's only 2-4 people that are hunting and thus, the repeat problem really kills playing the healing empath.
Re: ESN: Moar Experience! 11/17/2017 08:43 AM CST
>Konacon: a request for ESN - can you add a 30sec timer countdown or something to F2P empath's so they know how the linking is? I find linking to be an extremely pain but doesn't seem like its going anywhere. However, could you allow blood healing to not require linking, thus there's none of the you're bleeding to death and I can't do anything about it.
>Additionally, can the list of last 10 healers be shown so they'll know who can't be healed? In some locations at off hours, there's only 2-4 people that are hunting and thus, the repeat problem really kills playing the healing empath.

I totally agree! These were my two chief complaints when I returned last year with an F2P account and started in the Landing. The poor character is still level 2. I just gave up in a fit of frustration. In Ta'Vaalor, for example, it's all but impossible to be an F2P healer because the population is too small. You'll find enough turnover after 7-10 days - maybe.

Modifying the F2P limit to also employ a cooldown timer on repeat customers would be preferable in my opinion: either 10-person or 1-2 hr IG cooldown before repeating last customer, whichever comes first. If it showed on Active Spells that'd be even more handy!
Re: ESN: Moar Experience! 11/20/2017 10:32 AM CST
>2) Empaths level 1 to 10 get a buff to experience starting at a 2.0 multiplier at level 1 and decreasing by 0.1 every level until level 11. This change was made to encourage players who made an empath with the goal of healing to be able to do that with more ease early on.

I would argue pretty strongly against this, although at the end of the day the point is fairly moot. I brought a pure empath up since Arcane Blast was released and it was by no means difficult. The character has a fairly focused healing build as well. My wife built a similar character a couple months ago and also had no issues either.

It's such blatant favoritism with literally no need that I can see. If there is a need, apparently it is for me to update gswiki beginner guide to empaths? I can imagine that a pacifist pure healer might have a little trouble before they can transfer wounds that give more experience, but if one really insists on a single-minded approach to leveling, I'd say that's on them.
Re: ESN: Moar Experience! 11/20/2017 11:32 AM CST
>It's such blatant favoritism with literally no need that I can see. If there is a need, apparently it is for me to update gswiki beginner guide to empaths? I can imagine that a pacifist pure healer might have a little trouble before they can transfer wounds that give more experience, but if one really insists on a single-minded approach to leveling, I'd say that's on them.

I exclusively town-healed for many many years because I enjoyed the experience. For the bulk of my 20+ year play history I have enjoyed socializing over hunting, and in fact I simply did not enjoy hunting at all for a long time. While the opposite is true these days, I do firmly understand the mindset of someone who chooses a no or low hunting play style. I can confirm that it is difficult to endure the 1-9 levels without hunting, and it often requires intervention and help from other empaths present. It's a roleplay choice for many, and a preference choice for many others to level in this manner, so I'm glad they've addressed the issue. Remember the intent of a lot of these updates is to encourage more town healing, and this does contribute to that.

As to the wiki, yes I think after the updates are rolled out we are in fact overdue for some updates.

~Land Pirate Maylan~
Re: ESN: Moar Experience! 11/20/2017 12:12 PM CST
Eh, considering the limits you have in taking wounds, and the limited amount of blood you can take, it seems to me to be a complement to Arcane Blast. Making it more rewarding to new players to sit down and heal in the early levels is a good idea, otherwise they'll get in a routine of hunting instead, and will unlikely choose to sit down and heal later on. (plus, learning how not to kill yourself healing in your early levels is a good idea)

Rishi
- Player of Kembal

Speaking to Plur, Belnia says, "You're no Kembal."

[Roll result: -2112 (open d100: 82)]
A giantman thief crouches and sweeps a leg at you, but only manages to trip himself.
Re: ESN: Moar Experience! 11/20/2017 02:16 PM CST
>>I exclusively town-healed for many many years because I enjoyed the experience. For the bulk of my 20+ year play history I have enjoyed socializing over hunting, and in fact I simply did not enjoy hunting at all for a long time.

I suppose either I have misunderstood the announcement or it really means all Empaths regardless. Giving a flat extra experience absorption, rather than a multiplier to filling the pool for specifically TRANSFER let's say, seems a little pointless to specifically encourage healing. Since hunting is sometimes a preferred option, this just encourages an empath to advance with the quickest path available which might not be healing. A multiplier to how much experience one gains from TRANSFER at lower levels would accomplish the stated goal better by making healing specifically, rather than low level empaths in general, more attractive.