309 10/30/2020 07:43 PM CDT
Quick question. Who uses 309 and what level intervals was it useful? I ask because Kadrem is 34 trains currently in the Miasmal Forest (RR) and one cast of 309 decimates wights who are are least 5 levels his senior. I've always used this spell and love it but it has proven to be especially useful in his current hunting ground. Just curious if this just happens to be especially useful in this area or if it eventually phases out. It also wreaks havoc on greater bog trolls.

Thx.
Re: 309 10/30/2020 07:54 PM CDT
Here is a clip of my last encounter.

>inc 309
[script done]
You quietly exclaim, "Confess ye, your sins to Lord Ronan!"
>
You raise your voice in a resonant canticle as you prepare Condemn, your hands imbued with flickering white light.
Your spell is ready.
You gesture at a greater moor wight.
[SMR result: 154 (Open d100: 83)]
Shadows deepen all around, enveloping a greater moor wight in night's embrace!
Dancing with dreamlike languor, tongues of black and silver flames sear the moor wight for 21 points of damage!
... 40 points of damage!
Flames cook a greater moor wight's chest. Looks about medium well.
The moor wight is stunned!
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.
>
Dancing with dreamlike languor, tongues of black and silver flames sear the moor wight for 20 points of damage!
... 30 points of damage!
Nasty burns to left arm. Gonna need lots of butter.
>
Dancing with dreamlike languor, tongues of black and silver flames sear the moor wight for 21 points of damage!
... 35 points of damage!
Flames burn hole in chest exposing ribs!
>
Dancing with dreamlike languor, tongues of black and silver flames sear the moor wight for 25 points of damage!
... 60 points of damage!
Flame engulfs back: a greater moor wight flambe!
You hear a sound like a weeping child as a white glow separates itself from the moor wight's body as it rises, disappearing into the heavens.
A greater moor wight wails one final time as it collapses.
A greater moor wight becomes solid again.
The light blue glow leaves a greater moor wight.
You sense Ronan's condemnation of a greater moor wight wane.
Re: 309 10/31/2020 07:12 AM CDT

Hi Jray,

I was using 309 in combination with web bolt very successfully up until I quit playing my cleric at 72 (lesser minotaurs). My cleric was 2x Spell Aim and I would use web bolt in order to add +100 (roughly) to my 309 outcome. This resulted in massive damage. Near 70 damage every tick of 309. Not much survived a full round of that (especially as I softened them up with 320, then a web bolt first).
Re: 309 11/04/2020 09:55 PM CST
309 never gets useless as far as I can tell. Lead out with a shot of 301 (if undead), or web bolt like mentioned above, or 316 a group of critters - disabling adds a significant bonus to the 309 roll. One exception I can think off of the top of my head is if you run into something that is resistant or even immune to the crit type of your 309.
Re: 309 11/24/2020 09:58 AM CST
Ah, this is great information. Thanks for contributing.
Re: 309 11/24/2020 10:02 AM CST
As with the post above, great info. Yes, I noticed that this spell does nothing against the swamp hags as they are resistant to the plasma flares. As a matter of fact, it seems to strengthen them. I just avoid them altogether. The web bolt and/or other disabling spell first was something I haven't tried but am looking forward to it. Thanks.
Re: 309 11/24/2020 10:14 AM CST
<As with the post above, great info. Yes, I noticed that this spell does nothing against the swamp hags as they are resistant to the plasma flares. As a matter of fact, it seems to strengthen them. I just avoid them altogether.>

Hhhmmm.... that's odd. They're immune to fire and I believe it replenishes their mana.... but I used Empathic Assault on them when my empath was hunting there to great effect and that's a plasma based bolt. Are you sure your deity doesn't make 309 do fire damage rather then plasma?

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: 309 11/24/2020 10:36 AM CST
Starchitin, you are correct. I meant to say fire flares. Because of their immunity to fire I haven't yet discovered an effective way to hunt them. Thx for the correction.
Re: 309 11/24/2020 10:56 AM CST
I'd imagine the impact crits of 306 would work well on them. If you can ward them, 312 or 317 might work even if they are expensive... otherwise you'd prolly have to resort to wands.

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: 309 11/27/2020 05:13 AM CST
Does reduced spirit affect the chance to hit or damage with 309?