Spring Spectacular: New Condemn (309) Spell 04/29/2019 08:57 AM CDT
Condemn (309) has been released as a new attack spell for clerics with deity specific messaging. When cast, it will subject the target to a maneuver roll (SMRv2) that uses the caster's Cleric spell and Spell Aiming ranks. If successful, the target will take concussion and deity specific critical damage. The damage will repeat every 2 seconds for a total of 5 rounds. Each time a target takes damage, they also receive a debuff that lowers its DS by 5 and TD 3, stacking up to a maximum of -25/-15, which persists for 15 seconds after the last round.

If a target is killed while under the effects of Condemn, the cleric will build up holy magic to be able to cast an empowered version of 309. Evoking the spell will cast the empowered version and causes all Damage over Time (DoT) rounds of the spell to immediately trigger. It takes 10 kills (of targets under the effect of the spell) to earn 1 charge. Training in Spiritual Lore: Religion reduces the number of kills needed by -1 per 50 skill. A cleric may only store 1 charge of holy magic for an empowered Condemn by default, but training in Spiritual Lore: Blessings increases that by +1 per seed 10 summation. You may view the number of stored charges with the SPELL verb.

Neutralize Curse has moved to the Arcane circle in spell slot 1716, and is available on scrolls and arcane trinkets that can be found in the treasure system. Clerics may also evoke Remove Curse (315) to cast the old Neutralize Curse. For the next 30 days, any magic item or scroll with 309 will automatically convert to 1716 when used.

Bless (304) may now be used to open the Graveyard gate near Wehnimer's Landing.

GameMaster Estild
Re: Spring Spectacular: New Condemn (309) Spell 04/29/2019 08:58 AM CDT
>incant 309
You chant a reverent litany, clasping your hands while focusing upon the Condemn spell...
Your spell is ready.
You gesture at a giant brown rat.

[SMR result: 158 (Open d100: 84)]
Dusky half-light envelops a giant brown rat in a rippling, nebulous haze.
A sudden flare of coruscating energy within the haze sears the brown rat for 22 points of damage!
... 25 points of damage!
Searing strike to back causes the brown rat to grunt in pain.
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.
[-5 DS/-3 TD]
>
[2 seconds later...]
A sudden flare of coruscating energy within the haze sears the brown rat for 26 points of damage!
... 20 points of damage!
Insignificant burns to the brown rat's neck.
[-10 DS/-6 TD]
>
[4 seconds later...]
A sudden flare of coruscating energy within the haze sears the brown rat for 18 points of damage!
... 25 points of damage!
Pinpoint strike sears the brown rat's chest.
[-15 DS/-9 TD]
>
[6 seconds later...]
A sudden flare of coruscating energy within the haze sears the brown rat for 25 points of damage!
... 25 points of damage!
Pinpoint strike sears the brown rat's chest.
[-20 DS/-12 TD]
>
[8 seconds later...]
A sudden flare of coruscating energy within the haze sears the brown rat for 23 points of damage!
... 25 points of damage!
Stinging burn to the brown rat's hand.
[-25 DS/-15 TD]
>
[15 seconds later...]
The nebulous haze fades away from a giant brown rat.

GameMaster Estild
Re: Spring Spectacular: New Condemn (309) Spell 04/29/2019 11:38 AM CDT
This spell is amazing. Thank you.

As I gaze over the horizon, the wind tugs at my cloak and whispers, "Adventure" in my ear.

Whick's body sways back and forth for a bit.
* Whick drops dead at your feet!

Re: Spring Spectacular: New Condemn (309) Spell 04/29/2019 12:10 PM CDT
Speaking as someone who was regularly busting Konacon's chops about the issues with "2-second cycles at server-side speed versus human reactions at internet-lag-end speed"...
...two second cycles are too fast. For exactly the same reasons here as for Earthen Fury.

That said, I'm always quite happy to see new improvements to Clerical spells. Rumour has it that Repel Undead has turned [heh] into this Smite/Bane thing, I may have to try stuff out nowadays....
Re: Spring Spectacular: New Condemn (309) Spell 04/29/2019 12:57 PM CDT
For the next 30 days, any magic item or scroll with 309 will automatically convert to 1716 when used.

Does this mean if I have a SK item, scroll, etc with 309 currently and I do NOT use it in the next 30 days that it will become a new 309 Condemn spell item instead? If so, nice!
Re: Spring Spectacular: New Condemn (309) Spell 04/29/2019 02:05 PM CDT
Exciting indeed! This elegant spell fills several needs in the cleric hunting toolbox and is just darn fun ta boot!
The way this spell synergizes with other cleric spells and systems, just amazing.

The changes to 315 and 304 are very handy as well.

Now to scrape together some training points for spell aim.

Option, decisions, love it!
Re: Spring Spectacular: New Condemn (309) Spell 04/29/2019 02:25 PM CDT
Krakii,

The way the spell works is that you get a debuff on your character visible with Spell Active.

Killing the creature won't stop it (this is assumed as I haven't tested it), and leaving the area won't stop it.

You can dispel it, but that can be difficult if you have a lot of spells on (let alone Arcane Decoy).

That all said...

I don't think the 2 second cycle is an issue since there's not many ways to stop it beyond letting it run its course.
Re: Spring Spectacular: New Condemn (309) Spell 04/30/2019 10:47 AM CDT
This spell does look nice and I'll def have to make a point to try it out with my cleric when I play him...

I do have some concerns about when/if critters start getting access to it, though. If there isn't going to be a way to counter-act the effects once one has been hit (as has been reported above), why is it doing damage over time rather then just inflicting it all at once?

So long as it's only a player ability, it doesn't really matter... but when a player is hit with something that does damage over time and there's no way to even attempt to escape the effects, it's extremely frustrating at best. Everything else I can think of off-hand that does DOT damage has SOME way to potentially escape or neutralize the effects (Scarabs, 716, 915, flesh golem disease, 710, 718), so it would be nice if this did as well... esp considering anything available to players is supposed to be fair game for critters to have.

I'm not saying it has to be easy to neutralize (flesh golem disease certainly isn't), just that there should be something we can attempt if we're lucky enough not to be stunned by the initial effect.

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Spring Spectacular: New Condemn (309) Spell 05/03/2019 04:16 PM CDT
My cleric is maxxed out in spell ranks, but doesn't bolt at all, hence she has zero spell aiming. How effective will her 309 be vs like level foes?

"So, what does that green line on the graph represent?"
"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville;
we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: Spring Spectacular: New Condemn (309) Spell 05/03/2019 04:20 PM CDT
Also: 309 had the ability to temporarily neutralize permanent curses that 315 could not affect. Specifically, held black ora items and the graveyard gate. Has 315 now been granted those abilities?

"So, what does that green line on the graph represent?"
"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville;
we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: Spring Spectacular: New Condemn (309) Spell 05/03/2019 06:47 PM CDT
304 does the gate now.

The evoke version of 315 can be used as neutralize curse.
Re: Spring Spectacular: New Condemn (309) Spell 05/03/2019 07:33 PM CDT
>My cleric is maxxed out in spell ranks, but doesn't bolt at all, hence she has zero spell aiming. How effective will her 309 be vs like level foes?

Seems much like 320, give them a maneuver malus and they suffer, but not effective against fresh targets.
Re: Spring Spectacular: New Condemn (309) Spell 05/22/2019 02:40 AM CDT
I've been using the new 309 and loving it! One suggestion (already?), can we get the debuff extended to 30 seconds (or more) instead of 15 seconds?

Sometimes, especially versus multiple creatures, I get stuck in maneuver RT or have to spend time stance dancing, crowd controlling, etc. that by the time I can focus on my original target the debuff wears off before I can kill it with my other attacks. This is often the case when dealing with non-critable or high health creatures. And then all I can do is 'grunt sadly, a small tear forming in the corner of his eye.'

Or is it just the case of my mid-level cleric is not yet over trained in cleric spells (he's fully doubled in spell aim and singled in cleric spells) to fully power the spell so that the targets don't survive one 309 volley plus follow up spells/attacks within the debuff timeframe? <ponder>

Thanks.
Re: Spring Spectacular: New Condemn (309) Spell 05/24/2019 05:26 PM CDT
I found that the sweet spot for damage really requires a roll ending in around 180 or higher, then you tend to get 60-70 per round.