Combine 309 & 315; Make 309 a Major Bolt that Does Deity Based Splash Damage 12/25/2018 05:50 AM CST
I want to bolt with my cleric, but I'm not looking forward to the prospect of using 111 as my primary bolt spell to hunt with. My cleric is a follower of Lorminstra and I kind of have this whole ice theme going with her and I just can't get comfortable with throwing balls of fire to attack with.

309 and 315 seem fairly redundant and could be combined into a cast and evoke version fairly easily to open up 309 as a spell slot.

Looking at wizards, they have 907, 908, and 910 as major bolt spells. I'm just pointing this out as a comparison of mana cost to use 309 as a major bolt spell slot.

The base damage of the bolt could be pure HP (like smite/bane) or use the crush critical table as I imagine you're summoning the power of your diety, giving it physical mass, and hurling it at your opponent. The twist for the spell is that any splash damage takes the character's deity alignment into consideration and does deity-specific critical damage.

Power wise, I'd like it to be better than fire spirit (without a bunch of summoning lore), but not as effective as the undead version of holy bolt.

As I gaze over the horizon, the wind tugs at my cloak and whispers, "Adventure" in my ear.

Whick's body sways back and forth for a bit.
* Whick drops dead at your feet!

Re: Combine 309 & 315; Make 309 a Major Bolt that Does Deity Based Splash Damage 12/25/2018 11:25 AM CST
This horse has been beaten to death, back to life, then death again.

I high doubt it'll ever happen, Kaight.
Re: Combine 309 & 315; Make 309 a Major Bolt that Does Deity Based Splash Damage 12/26/2018 10:06 AM CST
You can mix Web plus Fire Spirit for some combo goodness.

Also note that Fire Spirit is a splashy spell, so the more targets in the room the better it will serve you.

You might also want to chime in with support for previous suggestions to affect (particularly the splashy/ball) spells. Things like "<some combination of skill requirements> lets you have ALL of the splash effects hit JUST the original target," for example.
(Take your Lore skill for the 'possible' roll; use your MOC skill for the 'actual' roll; get # of splashes. Now, instead of reaching out to spread the love to additional targets, instead you apply ALL of them to that same poor bastard you just hit with the cast. Sucks to be him....)

Or make up your own improvements and kick them into the discussion. :)
Re: Combine 309 & 315; Make 309 a Major Bolt that Does Deity Based Splash Damage 12/26/2018 02:29 PM CST
<Also note that Fire Spirit is a splashy spell, so the more targets in the room the better it will serve you.>

My empath uses 111 as her main attack, backed up with gold wands to finish things off, and has pretty much owned several hunting grounds with it. Against trolls or (to a lesser extent) most undead, Fire Spirit can make one feel like a god... but against anything with even slight resistance to fire it's underwhelming and I switch to Empathic Assault or Bone Shatter.

My cleric has started using the same tactics and I'm planning on keeping his Cleric CS up so I can use both 302 and 306 on things that Fire Spirit isn't effective on. So far his experience has mirrored my empath's, but the real test will come when he starts going toe to toe with swamp hags (immune to fire and living).

I never found the Web/Fire Spirit combo to be worth the extra mana for the damage it does, but I also never hunted somewhere that I felt the need to use area Web (maybe when she's hunting in the dungeon of the Citadel, though).

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Combine 309 & 315; Make 309 a Major Bolt that Does Deity Based Splash Damage 12/28/2018 12:17 PM CST
Alternately...

Both Clerics and Empaths have what is possibly the least used spell in the entire game sitting in slot 208. I would love to see living spell replaced by some type of bolt spell. Would be a great place to stick it, since 208 is extremely niche (and that's being generous :D)
Re: Combine 309 & 315; Make 309 a Major Bolt that Does Deity Based Splash Damage 12/28/2018 12:28 PM CST
It would, maybe, possibly, be a good spell to use against critters... if there were any way to tell what they were preparing.
Maybe if creatures had two different "I'm getting a spell ready" actions, one for self/group buffs, one for offensive spell.

But yeah, on the whole, it's a completely lack-luster effect. Much rather pay twice as much mana to drain mana from them (Leech or Unravel), and then use the results on ANY spell in my arsenal rather than <whatever piece of dreck it turns out we got from them>.
Re: Combine 309 & 315; Make 309 a Major Bolt that Does Deity Based Splash Damage 12/28/2018 12:29 PM CST
Or just convert 306 holy bolt to a deity based damage bolt. That way we can hunt living or undead with it.

As I gaze over the horizon, the wind tugs at my cloak and whispers, "Adventure" in my ear.

Whick's body sways back and forth for a bit.
* Whick drops dead at your feet!

Re: Combine 309 & 315; Make 309 a Major Bolt that Does Deity Based Splash Damage 12/28/2018 05:40 PM CST
208 can actually do a lot of work if you have friends or alts to steal spells from, since you can get a lot of spells that aren't widely available through imbeds or scrolls--and even a couple spells that aren't at all available through imbeds or scrolls, like 1606 and 1611.

(More realistically you'll need alts... Successful 208 casts drain 1-2 spirit from the other character, so doing this with another person would need too much coordination for me to even try it. (I'm assuming 208 can cause spirit deaths, anyway, but I've never put that to the test even on accident yet...))

Merging 212 and 217 together would be a great spot for a new bolt, though, and I'd love to see one!

https://gswiki.play.net/Leafiara
Re: Living Spell/208 {was: Combine 309 & 315} 08/10/2021 12:22 PM CDT
"Both Clerics and Empaths have what is possibly the least used spell in the entire game sitting in slot 208. I would love to see living spell replaced by some type of bolt spell. Would be a great place to stick it, since 208 is extremely niche (and that's being generous :D)" -- Rayvynne

"It would, maybe, possibly, be a good spell to use against critters... if there were any way to tell what they were preparing.
Maybe if creatures had two different "I'm getting a spell ready" actions, one for self/group buffs, one for offensive spell." -- Me, replying

I was just thinking of this recently, and wanted to repeat the point.

Particularly since we now have custom spell preps... which means that it should be idiot simple to have "All Creatures Use Major Spirit CustomX" text when they prep a Major Spirit spell, and "All Creatures Use Cleric Base CustomY" when they prep a Cleric Base spell. Add repeat for all of the other lists.

Then we--as targets--know whether they're prepping a Minor Elemental or a Paladin Base. Because their spell prepping tells us so.