Tonis Revision 08/27/2022 11:04 AM CDT
I was excited about Tonis when my bard finally earned it? It's a big disappointment. Getting a RT reduction on a swing for 60 seconds at that cost and that level of reduction is not real useful. I don't bother with it anymore. It's a good spell, solid but not that enjoyable or utilitarian for me with my sword/board Bard.

My proposal is this: Tonis becomes a running reduction of RT. You continuously sing Tonis to gain the benefit. -1 is good, -2 is better. I feel -3 is going to be considered to powerful as a maximum by the designers but that would by my limit if it were up to me? Attaining a -3 however might be something that takes work after even cap. If you are post 100 then -3 is not overpowering imo. It's an expensive spell, the cost ratio makes more sense to me here? So -1 to start, running Tonis. With say 101 ranks for Air Lore plus 50 levels, you come up with -2. -3 for 202 Air ranks and level 100. That would make sense to me and people would use it a lot better, I feel. Many may be happy with it as it is? I don't know but it's not very fun for me at all, I just don't bother at present with it.

Second, when using Tonis with an air sung weapon, it will not reduce the RT more but it will make the strikes more precise. Thus you will have a chance to hit in the target in the same location of the body if you are not aiming. 25% chances to activate this feature per strike which can go up 1% per 5 ranks of Air Lore for a maximum of 65% chance. These chances are not a guarantee you will succeed, just that you will be influenced by the spell to possibly hit the same area. That would then be 50% to start with 1% increase every 10 ranks for a maximum of +70%. This would make it not so overpowered and a bit more fun.

I don't see why -1 to RT for a group would be so big of a deal.

Dragons r Real
Re: Tonis Revision 08/27/2022 05:16 PM CDT
It doesn't impress you much, but it is possible to get -2s and -3s as implemented right now, MUCH more easily than what you describe. WTH?
Yes, the mana cost happens every couple of minutes, but "training more ML:Telepathy" (+1s/2ranks over 20) should be part of most high-end Bard's planning anyhow, certainly if they are melee (also +AS to party).

I was able to use Uravel/1013 since roughly 65th level to keep Tonis up 100% of the time hunting, until I shifted to Reim (where creatures just don't have the right names to reliably steal mana from).