Bard service: Enhancive Siphoning 12/24/2020 09:14 AM CST
Using the energy of Song of Unravelling, a bard is able to permanently remove the magic of one enhancive bonus and channel it into another on the same (or other?) item. The bard is going to lose some of the potency due to the chaotic nature of mana, but using mana training, spell training, etc. the bard is able to salvage higher amounts from the original.

For example, a bard has a talisman that has +5 OHE ranks, +8 first aid bonus, +5 summoning lore bonus.

The highly trained bard unravels the +5 summoning lore bonus completely away from the item and puts it into another +2 OHE ranks. So the item is +7 OHE ranks and +8 first aid bonus. In order to spark the transference, bard lore knowledge must be consumed in varying amounts.
Re: Bard service: Enhancive Siphoning 12/24/2020 10:34 AM CST
Oh, HELL yeah!

Gimme some of THIS!

<ahem>

The above referenced proposal received enthusiastic endorsement from this reader.

<cough>
Re: Bard service: Enhancive Siphoning 12/24/2020 11:33 AM CST
I think it would be an issue if you could go item to item, but on the same item I am powerfully on board.

Sweet is the sound of the pouring rain,
And the stream that falls from the hill to plain.
Better than rain or rippling brook,
Is a mug of beer inside this Took.
Re: Bard service: Enhancive Siphoning 12/24/2020 01:53 PM CST
Nice suggestion! Being able to convert useless enhancives into beneficial ones would be a wonderful opportunity - Either by converting one undesirable trait to another OR by combining all those painful +1s from multiple items into a single more powerful piece.

Some lady softly says, "Naamit is over-rated."
You reply, speaking to the lady, "At least I have ratings."
Re: Bard service: Enhancive Siphoning 12/24/2020 01:58 PM CST

Balanced by requiring bare lore knowledge.

Gives a niche to enhancives with high bonus on useless things like climbing. (agree with the other comments saying it would have to be limited to changing bonuses on the same item...)

Good idea!
Re: Bard service: Enhancive Siphoning 12/24/2020 02:15 PM CST
>Balanced by requiring bare lore knowledge.

Do you mean the weekly points counter thingie?

Because bards are pretty limited with actual lores that you train for currently. We can only 1x our own lores.

--
ESP TUNE TOWNCRIER or ;tune towncrier
Web: http://gstowncrier.com/
Daily Email: gstowncrier.com/subscribe/

gstowncrier.com/where-to-find-the-towncrier/

Send in news: https://bit.ly/2ISsz2l

P.S. Help Wanted, Inquire Within
Re: Bard service: Enhancive Siphoning 12/24/2020 03:33 PM CST

WHOA! NICE! I love this idea!

But, I propose this be coupled with some uh modifications to 1035... So, you want this service idea implemented first then right behind it the 1035 changes in that order. i.e. put the mattress down first before tripping us to the floor.
Re: Bard service: Enhancive Siphoning 12/24/2020 05:15 PM CST

"Do you mean the weekly points counter thingie?"

Yes that's what I thought OP was referring to.
Re: Bard service: Enhancive Siphoning 12/24/2020 07:24 PM CST
However, I am completely on board with "trainable Lore" being a relevant factor in determining success... :)
Re: Bard service: Enhancive Siphoning 12/25/2020 07:22 AM CST

That should be something like 99th rank Bard spell, with specific high level lore training (specific to the type of bonus or modifier affected).

Clunk

(Buy your swords at CBD weapons in Zul Logoth.)
Re: Bard service: Enhancive Siphoning 01/04/2021 09:24 AM CST
And if this suggestion is deemed too powerful as-is (which I could totally see it being), how about just the ability to remove one of the Enhancives in the item? (At the very least, this lets a Bard strip off things that nobody cares about, and that just serve to jack up the price to recharge it.)

Better yet--maybe behind a skill gate?--the ability to then take that removed energy and plow it back into the same item, as charges.
Re: Bard service: Enhancive Siphoning 01/05/2021 10:05 PM CST
>And if this suggestion is deemed too powerful as-is (which I could totally see it being), how about just the ability to remove one of the Enhancives in the item? (At the very least, this lets a Bard strip off things that nobody cares about, and that just serve to jack up the price to recharge it.)

I think a fusion of your idea and the original idea can work, too. Give the bard a chance to remove an unwanted enhancive property and increase another on the same item. Success rate can be based on the bard's stats/skills, as well as the enhancive properties involved. If the bard succeed, the unwanted enhancive property disappears, and the desired enhancive property can increase. If the bard fails, you get a consolation result of only removing the unwanted enhancive, and everything else stays the same. This gives demand for a higher level bard's service, but even a lower level bard can have a lot to contribute depending on what the customer wants to accomplish with their items.

To build on the example used on the opening post, for the enhancive talisman with the +5 OHE ranks, +8 first aid bonus, +5 summoning lore bonus, perhaps a bard can have a better chance of increasing the OHE rank when sacrificing the +8 first aid bonus instead of the +5 summoning lore bonus. Other factors can come in play on how success is calculated, too. Increasing a +4 OHE item would be a lot easier than increasing a +6 OHE item. Sacrificing 3 STR bonus to increase something would give a much higher rate of success than sacrificing 3 INF bonus. You get the idea.
Re: Bard service: Enhancive Siphoning 01/08/2021 01:04 PM CST
This seems like a really cool, unique idea.

Avaia, player of