What did I do wrong? 08/16/2021 07:35 PM CDT
So I tried Reim today. Was able to walk through it alone pretty easily up to "the throne room" part. I beat a boss in the area (royal princess), bringing my total boss kill count to 6. It let me go in the door before the Golden Door, but no further (blocked by a force). Reim Info said I was unlocked up to "throne room". I walked around the area where the throne room is for 20+ minutes; lots of mobs spawned but no bosses. I stopped walking around because I got headbutted and had to go get healing. I came back and tried waiting in the room with the Golden Door; 10 minutes later, nothing happened. Then I waited in the room that said "throne room" for about 15 minutes, some mobs walked in but no bosses. I tried backtracking to see if I missed a boss in a previous area, but I couldn't find anywhere from the Wiki that I missed aside from "throne room". Then I ran out of time.

What did I do wrong?
Re: What did I do wrong? 08/16/2021 08:45 PM CDT
"Touch sphere."
Re: What did I do wrong? 08/17/2021 09:57 AM CDT
Hi!

When you get into the throne room, you manually trigger the emperor and empress to spawn by touching the sphere. This gives you time to heal, renew your buffs, and prepare-- they can be gnarly. As soon as you touch it, you will be forced to kneel and get a brief RT and they will spawn immediately.

Good luck on your next run!

/seo, wheels and skulls department/
Re: What did I do wrong? 08/17/2021 05:03 PM CDT
>When you get into the throne room, you manually trigger the emperor and empress to spawn by touching the sphere. This gives you time to heal, renew your buffs, and prepare-- they can be gnarly. As soon as you touch it, you will be forced to kneel and get a brief RT and they will spawn immediately.

I've ran through Reim three times, solo with my (at the time, level 23) TWC paladin.

The emperor and empress proved to be a challenge the first time, took a few hits, but won.

The second run, the emperor spawned with a feras weapon, I didn't notice it. About 5 seconds into the match I took a very minor hit, the endroll was maybe 103 or 105. However, the massive lightning crit from the feras weapon fried my nerves and killed me.

The third run, lucky me, I go up against the emperor with another feras weapon....I lasted about 2 minutes before I was hit and a massive lightning flare blew a hole through my chest and killed me.

After finding that 2/3 of my Reim runs resulted in dying from feras weapons on the emporer, I said screw this and I haven't set foot in it again...and this was back just after Reim was released. It wasn't fun putting in an hour of my time only to get screwed over in the end by a cheap game tactic. Granted a TWC paladin isn't a normal build, but he found Reim was doable by himself, until he meet his untimely death (twice) due to feras weapons. Perhaps things have changed since then, best of luck once you touch that sphere.
Re: What did I do wrong? 08/17/2021 05:23 PM CDT
Given that 'touch sphere' leads to an unavoidable 5s RT (and let's not forget "kneeling!" as a free bonus), I issue the commands as "touch sphere stand look emperor Alt+Enter Alt+Enter Alt+Enter" to keep bashing the 'stand' repeat until I actually do.

Meanwhile, my poor human meat-brain is parsing whether or not the Emperor has a feras weapon, in which case I do deal with him first rather than my normal tactic of dealing with the (normally much more dangerous, see also "caster", see also "female of the species more deadly than the male") Empress.

So, yes. Normal decision tree is "Empress, then Emperor". But "feras" trumps "Empress", because of CMans like "disregard some of your DS & EBP" and MStrike and things like that.
Re: What did I do wrong? 08/17/2021 05:25 PM CDT
"When you get into the throne room, you manually trigger the emperor and empress to spawn by touching the sphere. This gives you time to heal, renew your buffs, and prepare" -- quoted

For the low, low cost of being three rooms away, you can instead do your preparing out the window to the East, in the vortex room, which is a Node. (And also "outdoors", for Ranger-type spells.)

Then when you're ready you walk over, "go rhi door" and "touch sphere". (And then also "stand look emperor Alt+Enter Alt+Enter Alt+Enter Alt+Enter", as I just mentioned.)
Re: What did I do wrong? 08/17/2021 06:19 PM CDT
>Feras on the Emperor

That is very much still a huge problem to face. Disarm him fast! Or dispose of him...

--
ESP TUNE TOWNCRIER or ;tune towncrier
Web: http://gstowncrier.com/
Daily Email: gstowncrier.com/subscribe/

gstowncrier.com/where-to-find-the-towncrier/

Send in news: https://bit.ly/2ISsz2l

P.S. Help Wanted, Inquire Within
Re: What did I do wrong? 08/17/2021 06:52 PM CDT
My suggestion would be to put "feras" in your highlights before going in against the emps. I'm pretty sure you can leave, hit the balcony and wait ten minutes (if you have the time) for them to degen and re-touch the sphere for a different try.

Wee Sleepy Gnomette's player

From nearby, you hear Vyrshkana yell, "Why I's still drunkifyinged!"
Zicune yells, "Phenomenal cosmic liquir!"
Zicune yells, "Itty bitty drinker!"
Re: What did I do wrong? 08/17/2021 11:30 PM CDT
Thanks for all the advice! I didn't even see the sphere while I sat in the room like a dodo.

Two things I noticed: my bAS and DS seemed to be much lower in that room compared to the rest of the run; like I was walking around getting 375-420 DS depending on the attacks and such, but in that room I had about 350. My bAS was capping around 375 but in that room I was around 310-315. I didn't see any spells fall off, just seemed to be lower for some reason.

The Emperor didn't have feras when I was in there, but that Empress sure wrecked me once I killed him. Hit me with acid: outcome was 103, did 1 point of damage with a 50 point flare + stun + knockdown then boil earthed me to death. Went back and she mass dispelled me to death. I did manage to get his armor, some ornate glaes chain mail.

All in all, it was a cake walk until then. I think even if I killed her first, I wouldn't be able to handle his berserk. Will try it though and see what happens.
Re: What did I do wrong? 08/18/2021 12:26 AM CDT
If you're Voln, use smite on the Emps and disable. If the Emperor is on the ground (missing a leg), he can't charge and his attacks are much weakened even if he's berserking (I always kill the Empress first). If you have access to 610, 118, both, or something similar (Grasp of the Grave?) cast that before summoning the emps - it may catch one or both while you're in RT and kneeling. There are Celerity crystals for sale at DR; it's worth it to grab one to rub right before summoning to give you a leg up, too.

Wee Sleepy Gnomette's player

From nearby, you hear Vyrshkana yell, "Why I's still drunkifyinged!"
Zicune yells, "Phenomenal cosmic liquir!"
Zicune yells, "Itty bitty drinker!"
Re: What did I do wrong? 08/18/2021 07:08 AM CDT
Once one of them dies, the other one gets a boost to attacks and defenses (including TD).

Make sure you rub a cube and boost all of your maneuver capabilities as much as possible.

Yes, it is worth it to take out the Empress first, because the Emperor can ONLY do physical effects to you. The exception is when he has feras weapons, but you've already run into that. :)
War Cries count as "physical effects"; he does those a LOT.

If you can find some VibeChant/1002 scrolls, you can possibly get the Emperor's weapon (attacks with a bare hand do a lot less damage) and/or shield (he does love to charge and bash).
Re: What did I do wrong? 08/18/2021 07:30 AM CDT
<The exception is when he has feras weapons, but you've already run into that.

It's not applicable to all professions/builds, but if one can either disarm him or remove his right hand, it shouldn't be necessary to kill him first (esp if you pick up the weapon once it hits the ground). Aside from the Disarm cman, ambushing the right hand, 1002, and 708 can be used to achieve this (though you'll prolly want to be 2x in Spell Aim if using 708 for it).

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: What did I do wrong? 08/18/2021 11:54 PM CDT
Welp, 0/2 on that boss fight now. It's impossible for me to do this on my own, they have WAY too much CC for me.

Emperor charged me, result was almost 200 with a 48 roll so there's literally no way I can dodge it; I even had mobility running at the time and 0 encumbrance. I was able to blast the Empress a few times, but wasn't enough to knock her down or stun her so she just free casted. Since I can only waggle, I can't really use the tips provided. Emperor didn't have feras again; my plan was to weapon fire him if he did but now I'm afraid if I do that he will just do cman's on me that I can't dodge. Due to the level difference, my winds or waves don't affect them, so without my bolts getting lucky and knocking them down or stunning them, I'm a sitting duck. I was hitting for around 150 HP every cast, just wasn't enough.

I can walk through everything up to there with no problem, taking on 2-3 at a time. But that room is just impossible for me. Not very well balanced; in my opinion, that power needs to be spread out throughout the run but I guess it's geared toward groups so ... I just won't go back. It's a shame.
Re: What did I do wrong? 08/19/2021 12:24 AM CDT
I don't have enough experience playing a pure to give you any specific advice here, I'm afraid... Maybe others can chime in if you provide a little more info about your class and build, but I will say that it may be easier at later levels when you have more tools in your arsenal. Maybe give it another go in a few more levels!

/seo, wheels and skulls department/
Re: What did I do wrong? 08/19/2021 06:05 AM CDT
As a wizard, you're kind of boned if 912 and 410 don't help CC. If you can ward them, 512 can keep the emperor form doing cmans. He can still swing, but he can't do maneuvers on you while held in place by ice.

Otherwise self cast 909 (activated by STOMP or TAP) might help keep things in check, keep knocking them down. Most creatures won't attack without standing up first and once they stand, that is usually their only action for that round. If you can put them prone with 909 (not sure if it works on them or not), it might help your chances.
Re: What did I do wrong? 08/19/2021 06:08 AM CDT
Also, fire weapon spell is pretty much usless unless you're a much higher level than your target. There is also a good chance the fire weapon spell will fail even if you get a successful ward. So don't bother using it, it's just a waste of mana and casting RT.
Re: What did I do wrong? 08/19/2021 06:29 AM CDT
<I don't have enough experience playing a pure to give you any specific advice here, I'm afraid... Maybe others can chime in if you provide a little more info about your class and build, but I will say that it may be easier at later levels when you have more tools in your arsenal. Maybe give it another go in a few more levels!>

Yea... wizards are the one pure profession I don't have any real experience with either. Knowing that the OP is a wizard now, it def makes sense that they'd have more problems with the emperor then the empress though. The only thing I can think that might help is using 515 to try to take him out with bolts before a maneuver gets them....

Unfortunately, there's really no defense against maneuvers for most pures other then just not letting foes act to get one off to begin with... esp if what you're fighting is higher level then you. Unfortunately, level differences make maneuver based spells like 410 and 912 difficult/impossible to hit with rather quickly... though if your CS is high enough, any CS based disablers should be able to keep him busy (I don't know of any of those available to wizards though). So, I'll just echo what I quoted above and say that if you don't wanna group up with someone, maybe give it a try when you're higher level.

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: What did I do wrong? 08/19/2021 06:35 AM CDT
I agree with the Tremors/909 advice (since it has duration, and keeps knocking them down).

For the Empress... Dispel. Whenever you see her prep, Dispel it. (That way, no Earthen Fury!) I set a macro key just to dispel her.
Re: What did I do wrong? 08/20/2021 08:19 AM CDT
I don't spend time in Reim with my wizard but a couple of suggestions:
- Immolation is pretty effective at keeping many opponents busy - 75% of the time they will lay down and roll to put out the fire vs. doing "something else". So if nothing else this can reduce maneuvers against you by ~75% if you reapply as needed (and does some damage with a small chance to kill as a bonus).
- Casting SLOW on the emperor may also prove useful (guessing as I have not tried this).
- The few times I have gone up against this pair with other characters, we took out the Empress as the priority and then spent our remaining time wearing down the Emperor. From my recollection, The Emperor does seem to have about 1,528 Ranks of Combat Toughness.

Also - no harm in taking a friend! My sword and board paladin is pretty crunchy but the Emperor still manages to tear him up quite a bit. Pretty sure the results could have been gone worse for me if I hadn't brought a friend. While there are people that can solo REIM, I do believe that it was designed with groups in mind.

-- Robert

>> A mongrel kobold points at you and yells, "Mine! Chasin!"
Re: What did I do wrong? 08/20/2021 10:46 AM CDT
"Casting SLOW on the emperor may also prove useful (guessing as I have not tried this)." -- OtherRobert

Depression/1013 absolutely works (on both of them, even!), and particularly "having her cast less frequently" is a big benefit.

Bards have an advantage here in that they can--with successful warding--slow down BOTH of them in a single 3s castRT, but it's still a good tactic.
Re: What did I do wrong? 08/20/2021 08:16 PM CDT
>Bards have an advantage here in that they can--with successful warding--slow down BOTH of them in a single 3s castRT, but it's still a good tactic.

I'm too lazy to look, but any wizard with an okay amount of air lore can open cast 504 and hit multiple targets.
Re: What did I do wrong? 08/20/2021 09:05 PM CDT
>> I'm too lazy to look, but any wizard with an okay amount of air lore can open cast 504 and hit multiple targets.

Correct. 20 Ranks of Air Lore will allow you to open cast the spell for 2 targets. 24 Ranks will get you an extra 1 second of added RT.

https://gswiki.play.net/Slow_(504)

-- Robert

Re: What did I do wrong? 08/21/2021 06:30 AM CDT
Nice, I did not recall that about Slow.

(So I just need to remember to get some Air ranks with my mage... :)
Re: What did I do wrong? 08/21/2021 09:52 AM CDT
>> So I just need to remember to get some Air ranks with my mage... :)

Faulkil has around 100 Ranks. I highly recommend it!

-- Robert

Re: What did I do wrong? 08/21/2021 01:07 PM CDT
50 / 50 (/ 50 / 50) is the way.

As with all things in the lands. . . balance.

:)

Doug
Re: What did I do wrong? 08/22/2021 04:18 PM CDT
>> 50 / 50 (/ 50 / 50) is the way.

We'll definitely have to agree to disagree on this one Doug!

Air: 100
Earth: 40
Fire: 30
Water: 30

Eventually I may use Ascension training to boost my Earth lore a bit more.

-- Robert