Reim Lag 02/04/2021 08:57 PM CST
Hey everyone, the lag from Reim has been getting worse. Tonight (2/4/2021), I see over 50 people in the area and the game is just grinding to a halt often.

We've made a lot of changes to try to accommodate the larger group hunts. We've worked on the room window and how the engine handles updates. We've updated how group contributions are handled, as well as how AoE spells are limited to help on how the messaging can create exponential strain on the game. We've talked with the groups who run Reim to try to limit their size. But it all hasn't been enough and the group size is bigger than ever. Moving forward, we're going to need to take more drastic measures, whether it's changing the mechanics of Reim or limiting group size. We've spent a lot of time and we've tried to work these issues out, but we can't allow this to cause issues with the game as a whole anymore.

If we're unable to come up with something fairly quick, we'll be temporarily closing down the area until we can complete it.

Wyrom, PM
Re: Reim Lag 02/04/2021 09:20 PM CST
The game has been nearly unplayable Thurs/Sat nights recently for this strange 2 hour stretch. hmm

Also. Thank you for addressing this.
Re: Reim Lag 02/04/2021 11:25 PM CST
I'm bummed the game engine can't handle large groups well. I've never done a Hand of the Arkati Reim run, but I like the idea of things with groups of players and big events and stuff in general. But tonight the lag was some of the worst I've ever seen it.
Re: Reim Lag 02/04/2021 11:30 PM CST
I think this is worth cross posting here.

From Wyrom on discord.
We've worked things out with those running the hunt and I think we're all on the same page. We really don't want to discourage groups. We have put a ton of effort with trying to get this handled. It's not just Reim. It's the command queue, which is why guild night saw it. We also updated how the room window (StormFront) handles things, which was a big help. The game can clearly handle big groups, it's just when messaging is happening it gets exponential bad when group size grows too high.
Re: Reim Lag 02/05/2021 05:28 AM CST
Clearly, limiting the group size is necessary, but you're asking the hunt organizers to do it voluntarily.

* Instance Reim even further and only let 20 people (or whatever number makes sense for the servers to handle) at a time per instance? Char #21 joins the next instance.

* Mobs nver spawn if char count in room > 20.

* Automatic reduced messaging if char count in room > 20, ie: you only see the outcome of your own attacks, and maybe "X attacks Y and stuns them" for anyone else's attacks.

* Special room mechanics, since we know where the hunt happens. The plaza is only big enough for 20 chars to enter at a time, if it's full you can't come in (similar to lockers).
Re: Reim Lag 02/05/2021 05:30 AM CST
Hard cap of ten (10) people in a group?
But then people can just have GroupA and GroupB, and stand in the same room.

Put in something--inherent to the rooms--that forces groups to shift? (Like a sheer fear check, but not needing a creature there.) Two groups, 50/50 chance it's you. You move East.
But then people can just stand in the same room, as singles.

Cap players in a room in the same way you cap creatures? (What is it, 2-to-1 creatures to players?) You Can Have Five Peoples. No mas.
But then someone can be a putz, and stand their group of 5 people E/NE of the chains, and nobody can ever go past.

I run Reim as a single, and despite my frequent complaints about cheese (feras weapons on the Emperor who puts you into [more] forcedRT while you're still kneeling in forcedRT from touching the sphere? Please...) I still enjoy it as capped experience available any time and (thanks to the ring changes) anywhere.

So I would hate to see it go away, but asking for "be kind to your neighbors" doesn't seem to have overcome the "I'm out to get mine".
Re: Reim Lag 02/05/2021 08:31 AM CST
Cap the number allowed in the instance.

The alternative is changing the mechanics to make the experience of being in a large group worse, continuing down the line of making the large group experience better doesn't shift the size of the group that kills the game very much, and the group size expands until the game dies again. You either have to make people not want to be in a large assembly because its mechanically bad for them, or cap the number allowed in the instance.
Re: Reim Lag 02/05/2021 09:47 AM CST
Cap players in a room in the same way you cap creatures? (What is it, 2-to-1 creatures to players?) You Can Have Five Peoples. No mas.
But then someone can be a putz, and stand their group of 5 people E/NE of the chains, and nobody can ever go past.

~~~

If you try and go into a room (with/without group) that would go over the limit, you/you+your group gets shifted to a random empty area in that section of Reim, a la group Rifting.

Wee Sleepy Gnomette's player

Cloth-of-eonake: for when you absolutely, positively need to have zombie-impenetrable underwear. - Denil

When my scripts are acting up, I take Modrian with Coding. After a few hours, they feel like new! - MAXMANJ
Re: Reim Lag 02/05/2021 10:55 AM CST
>From Wyrom on discord.
>We've worked things out with those running the hunt and I think we're all on the same page.

I would like to know exactly what this means. Given the obfuscation(by some) surrounding this issue that has negatively and knowingly effected the entire game for literally years now, you will pardon my mistrust of vague promises.

Avaia, player of
Re: Reim Lag 02/05/2021 11:37 AM CST
<I would like to know exactly what this means. Given the obfuscation(by some) surrounding this issue that has negatively and knowingly effected the entire game for literally years now, you will pardon my mistrust of vague promises.>

+1

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Reim Lag 02/05/2021 12:19 PM CST

Kudos, thank you.
Re: Reim Lag 02/05/2021 12:20 PM CST
>>I would like to know exactly what this means.

I talked with the organizer of the hunt and we came up with a number for how large the group can be. They are, in good faith, going to keep it to that size so we don't have to temporarily close it down. On our end, we are going to work on the mechanics to make sure that we do not go over that number anymore. If that works, perfect. If we're still experiencing issues, we'll have to find a number where it isn't a concern anymore.

Wyrom, PM
Re: Reim Lag 02/05/2021 12:58 PM CST
Thank you for the explanation, Wyrom.

Avaia, player of
Re: Reim Lag 02/05/2021 02:24 PM CST
"I talked with the organizer of the hunt and we came up with a number for how large the group can be. They are, in good faith, going to keep it to that size so we don't have to temporarily close it down." -- Wyrom

Perhaps a silly suggestion, but...

...East Coast group runs at TimeX, and West coast group runs a few hours later at TimeY?

Is Barachado still active? "Hey, guys, I'm in Bora Bora updating the State Department computers. Who wants to group for Reim?!?!"

Damn I envied that man's job travel....
Re: Reim Lag 02/05/2021 06:30 PM CST
Wait I thought that the lag that was experienced during guild night for years was because of guild night and not Reim? You mean the people en-masse AFK farming favor using third-party applications were lying to me the whole time?
Re: Reim Lag 02/06/2021 12:02 AM CST
>>Wait I thought that the lag that was experienced during guild night for years was because of guild night and not Reim? You mean the people en-masse AFK farming favor using third-party applications were lying to me the whole time?

It's several issues. The command queue has been one of the leading issues due to guild night. It was also the room window (beyond just guild night and Reim groups). But the other night, specifically, it was due to a large hunting party.

Wyrom, PM
Re: Reim Lag 07/15/2021 01:19 PM CDT
I may have been on too early last evening (I think I was done by about 7:15pm Eastern?) but I saw essentially no lag the whole night, whether in Reim or out.

How have things been observed on this front?
Re: Reim Lag 07/15/2021 01:25 PM CDT
Hah... good point there Krakii! Out of sight (or lag) out of mind, I guess!

I am usually on earlier in the day but I have not observed any lag issues since the new hardware went in.

-- Robert

>> A mongrel kobold points at you and yells, "Mine! Chasin!"