Returning player tried Reim for the first time...help? 06/09/2020 08:25 PM CDT
Returning player who has never tried any of the Quests before.

I gave my 71 warrior a try at a Reim. Went in solo.

Am I simply not supposed to do these solo? I read back through this thread a bit,and people seem to have recently mentioned that something is wrong with the spawn rate on the monsters?

I don't know what caps are supposed to be on there or not, honestly, but I was completely overwhelmed in a matter of 5 minutes or so. Must have been a dozen or more creatures running around in the first area, including two of the named ones who seemed to be occupying basically similar territory.

Fighting was impossible. I could take on a creature, maybe even two with some feints to keep things in RT, but it was essentially pointless. Before I could swing at a thing two or three times, another one spawned or ran in from a nearby room.

Am I missing something, or is it really intended for groups?

Thanks!
Re: Returning player tried Reim for the first time...help? 06/09/2020 09:48 PM CDT
It is largely intended for groups. Certain builds can succeed solo--I'm using a Disrupting Bard, usually just a few casts can kill the singles before the next one shows--but it really is oriented towards groups.
Re: Returning player tried Reim for the first time...help? 06/10/2020 08:43 AM CDT

If there were 2 named then there were other people there I believe. Should only get one named period per person.

Reim can be tough. with bereserk mastered at 100 I still die from time to time.
Re: Returning player tried Reim for the first time...help? 06/10/2020 11:57 AM CDT
Oh? I thought it was instanced. Like if I go in solo....then its only me in there.
Re: Returning player tried Reim for the first time...help? 06/10/2020 12:08 PM CDT
No, you are in the same area as everyone else of your level bracket. (I think they break down as 1-25, 26-50, 51-75, 76-90, 91+, but it's been a while since I read about it. I didn't even try the first time "for reals", as opposed to just goofing with the free entry, until that character was already in the 91+ range. Never had the need or inclination before that.)

This also allows you to use the grouping ("reim group" [???]) command, to see if there's anyone else around in your range who may want to work together.
Re: Returning player tried Reim for the first time...help? 06/10/2020 12:09 PM CDT
It's instanced for a range of levels, 1-25, 26-50, etc. I think. I'm not positive on the level ranges but thereabouts. It'd be NICE if it were instanced per group or per person, but pipe dreams, many, pipe dreams.

Wee Sleepy Gnomette's player

Cloth-of-eonake: for when you absolutely, positively need to have zombie-impenetrable underwear. - Denil

When my scripts are acting up, I take Modrian with Coding. After a few hours, they feel like new! - MAXMANJ
Re: Returning player tried Reim for the first time...help? 06/10/2020 03:19 PM CDT
>It is largely intended for groups. Certain builds can succeed solo--I'm using a Disrupting Bard, usually just a few casts can kill the singles before the next one shows--but it really is oriented towards groups.

Its been taken over by groups, because groups make it impossible for others, but it wasn't originally intended that way.

>Fighting was impossible. I could take on a creature, maybe even two with some feints to keep things in RT, but it was essentially pointless. Before I could swing at a thing two or three times, another one spawned or ran in from a nearby room.

Its possible if you are the only one in there, but since the recent spawning changes this is practically impossible to avoid if there are other players in the Village.

Since the spawn change, I'm running at about: 10% immediate RT lock and death before I get any action at all, 60% this is obviously impossible run away eat herbs put dispelled stuff back on log off and try again tomorrow, 30% no one else in the Village its tricky but doable. The Village is a particular problem both because groups camp there, and you can't dodge back to the previous area to break the vicious circle of running away from swarms making it swarm even worse.

>If there were 2 named then there were other people there I believe. Should only get one named period per person.

Since the change I've had 5, all spawned by me, chasing me round the courtyard. If you are able to kill them without moving you'll only get one, but if you have to keep running from the massive swarms you generate if you have to keep running, then new ones will keep spawning.
Re: Returning player tried Reim for the first time...help? 06/10/2020 03:34 PM CDT
"Since the change I've had 5, all spawned by me, chasing me round the courtyard. If you are able to kill them without moving you'll only get one, but if you have to keep running from the massive swarms you generate if you have to keep running, then new ones will keep spawning." -- RathboneR

To be clear: you see five (5) of the named Rares?
Re: Returning player tried Reim for the first time...help? 06/10/2020 04:09 PM CDT
I really don't think any other players were in the village (the first area?) with me last night. No one was killing anything. No one was looting the two things I did manage to kill and nothing was done to any creature while I hectically ran around trying to bait one of the dozen+ things into a room for a 1 v 1.

As for the 2 rares, it was The Inkeeper and the Patrol Leader (again, I've never done this before, but they seemed to be unique and important). Both spawned in my room with me, they didn't just wander in from some other room. I really did just run around for 10 minutes and nothing was happening other than creature movement and me eventually getting caught in something that put me in 20 secs of RT an on the ground. Was game over when 4-6 things entered the room a moment later.

So unless someone was just randomly hiding, I'm pretty sure I was in there alone.

These last few posts are a really big disappointment for me. The Quests seemed like a really fun idea that GS needed for many years. It was one of the main reasons I signed back up. The problem with doing a quest like this with a group is that almost always one of two outcomes happen.

1) The rest of the group have all done this already, rush through it as fast as possible leaving the first timer(s) with no joy in taking in the setting, room descripts and creatures at an RP-workable pace. Instead, its Zerg-rush.
2) The group graciously slows down to let the new folks have their fun, leaving the new quest taker feeling like a clown for holding up everyone else from doing a 'run'.

That's why I wanted to run it solo the first few times at least.
Re: Returning player tried Reim for the first time...help? 06/10/2020 05:20 PM CDT
If you're just moving around, then you're leaving creatures behind. The area will continue to spawn while you have these creatures unattended to, so yes, you can see big crowds that you cannot then easily deal with.

To some extent there is fun stuff to read, but on the whole it's just a creepy ghostly area.
All the boxes work the same: could be more creatures inside, could be a trap, could be some scrip.
All the creatures work the same: could be casters (can't tell until either they do it, or you look and see a runestaff) or else they're Maneuver Monkey squares. (They do a LOT of maneuvers. And War Cries. And more Maneuvers. So many maneuvers. <weep>)
NO, there is no way to tell from their names, unlike Grimswarm creatures. (I've asked. Got declined.)
While you are just standing still, you are waiting for the spawn timer to kick out a new creature.
While you are moving, you can possibly trigger a 'fall into a pit trap' (one [1] creature will hop in with you) or possibly trigger a mini-swarm (2-5 creatures, NOW with free RT for you when they appear!).
And I believe the annoying little atmospheric NOW with free RT for you! effects--the grasping hands, the arrows from the shadows, the coiling chains, whatever--mostly trigger on movement, essentially forcing you to issue that movement command again. ("N, <you get RT effect and fail to move N>, N again")

Don't think of it as 1 v 1.

It may be 1 v Area, if there is in fact nobody else there. But for the most part, it is 1 v Clock.

A few months ago after I'd had some more success with it, I described it as "a two-hour Duskruin arena that you can ring home and take rest breaks during."
Duskruin has five stages (4 scrubs + 1 Champion, times five) and Reim has 6 or 7 (depending on how you count the final room, since there are no scrubs before facing them).
DR is one continuous fight (on a time limit), whereas Reim is a lot longer with access to breaks (but also on a time limit) during which you can go home, heal or spell up, and then come back.
Re: Returning player tried Reim for the first time...help? 06/10/2020 08:25 PM CDT
That is actually a very enlightening summary. Thank you!
Re: Returning player tried Reim for the first time...help? 06/11/2020 03:33 PM CDT

>To be clear: you see five (5) of the named Rares?

I spawned 5, in fairly quick succession. I did not try to hang around in the same room till all 5 walked in, but there were occasions when there were multiple in the same room. When one of the ones I had left behind wandered in while I was trying to take down the latest spawn, I left on the next available action and when it had got up to 5 I gave up and hid in a vortex room for 10 minutes to get the area to despawn.

(Rare spawns, I get swarmed, I run)*5

>While you are moving, you can possibly trigger a 'fall into a pit trap' (one [1] creature will hop in with you) or possibly trigger a mini-swarm (2-5 creatures, NOW with free RT for you when they appear!).
>And I believe the annoying little atmospheric NOW with free RT for you! effects--the grasping hands, the arrows from the shadows, the coiling chains, whatever--mostly trigger on movement, essentially forcing you to issue that movement command again. ("N, <you get RT effect and fail to move N>, N again")

I see the miniswarm in combat as well as on movement. Its fast movement that triggers stuff rather than just movement. If you leave about 5s between moves the annoying stuff designed to slow you down doesn't happen. Like slipping on the Icemule Trail except survival doesn't stop you being dumped on.

Walk into a swarm, ooops try to move straight out, and stuff gets dumped on you.

>All the boxes work the same: could be more creatures inside, could be a trap, could be some scrip.
The traps crit kill quite frequently. After about 4 deaths I decided they weren't worth it and I haven't touched one since. The right gear might make the risk tolerable, but the loot is puny and the risk far too large by my standards.
Re: Returning player tried Reim for the first time...help? 06/11/2020 05:20 PM CDT
Thanks for clarifying!

It's been ~2 weeks since I did a Reim run, so I'll keep my eyes open and see what happens.

I used to open boxes, trying to maximize use of Disruption (creature walks in, open box, blast two of them in the same RT as just one). Or I would get scrip.
Then a cheese-death brought me around to your point of view, so now I just cruise past them.

And thanks for the insights on the travel speed being a trigger for the hindrances. I had never noticed the correlation, but I'll buy that.