So... 01/26/2020 02:28 PM CST
Thought I'd try Reim today for the first time. Should put up a sign outside of it that says "Two handed characters need not apply" Because everyone and the maid had missile weapons... Since my character isn't a voln master I had not voln abilities up but I did have a lot of spells...
>spell active
You currently have the following active spells:
Multi-Strike Recovery .............. 0:00:03
Armored Fluidity ................... 2:17:25
Elemental Defense I ................ 2:28:56
Elemental Defense II ............... 2:28:32
Thurfel's Ward ..................... 2:22:36
Strength ........................... 2:15:32
Mass Blur .......................... 2:26:38
Mantle of Faith .................... 2:03:35
Arm of the Arkati .................. 2:03:38
Dauntless .......................... 2:03:41
Higher Vision ...................... 2:03:50
Patron's Blessing .................. 2:10:19
Champion's Might ................... 1:58:01
Guard the Meek ..................... 2:12:32
Vigor .............................. 2:25:42
ESP ................................ 2:27:04
>
Note: Full Defense, all my spells at 18th, up to paladin 18th level spells. x5 flamberge and chain shirt.
>
An unworldly steward cocks her light crossbow and loads it with a plain wooden bolt.
An unworldly steward fires a plain wooden bolt at you!
AS: +169 vs DS: +151 with AvD: +39 + d100 roll: +7 = +64
A clean miss.
The wooden bolt breaks apart and crumbles away.

The above is what I was noting repeatedly. My wife's wizard is 18th as well, we did ok but spent a lot of time hiding out in the safe rooms for her
to recover mana because I couldn't seem to land a melee strike until she knocked them down. In the end we died due to me because I'm also of course susceptible to ball spells of course as a two hander. I was stunned by the ball and the balls flare because it hit me hit my wife's wizard....

An unworldly noble whispers a curse and gestures at you!
An unworldly noble hurls a roaring ball of fire at you!
AS: +155 vs DS: +155 with AvD: +45 + d100 roll: +85 = +130
... and hits for 8 points of damage!
Burst of flames to abdomen. Didn't hurt much.
The roaring ball of fire strikes you, blossoming into a much larger sphere of flame upon impact.
... 15 points of damage!
Burst of flames to left leg blackens kneecap.
You are stunned for 1 round!
A burst of flame from an unworldly noble's roaring ball of fire flies off and hits Vixianna!
... 25 points of damage!
Flames incinerate scalp completely and blacken skullcap. Not very fashionable.
She is stunned!
S>

Once this happened crossbow bolts took her out along with balls of fire and then me. Interesting but I guess I should ask, should we run a sorcerer and empath in this to do well? Or how many spells should we have because as you see I wasn't particular light on spells and neither was she. We'd move rooms when they'd start to swarm but they gen almost like the freaking warcamps, so that running to a safe room appears to be the only real tactic.
Re: So... 01/26/2020 03:08 PM CST
>Flames incinerate scalp completely and blacken skullcap. Not very fashionable.

I take issue with this line. Vix is ALWAYS fashionable.

But yeah, it was a bit...overkill with the missile weapons and the like. Definitely difficult for THW. I get it's supposed to be a challenge, but...

~Heathyr
Re: So... 01/27/2020 06:40 AM CST
Reim assumes you wear every spell in the book. The more you leave out the harder it gets and there's an awful lot of spells you weren't wearing.

You weren't using all the spells your characters could cast (101, 103, 107, 414) and thats enough to save you from the ball spells even without adding 202, 601, 602, 618 which are all pretty commonly available outside spells and would have kept you safe from the missiles too.

Reim is actually easier for 2 handers, because DS is easily obtained from spells, but DF isn't.

I found mana problematic at low level too and spent most of my time in Reim medititating in safe rooms when I tested it out. Warmage plus paladin is probably your best combination, but get those basic outside spells and add a few more if you want to thrive in there.
Re: So... 01/27/2020 12:31 PM CST
"Things that make your Mana Recovery go faster" are worth looking into.

These can range from:
- Guardians of Sunfist (society power for +5 mana recovery for 10 minutes),
- to "having recovery under your control" ('mana pulse' verb, if you have enough ranks of Mana Control:YourRealm),
- to "wearing a bunch of Mana Recovery Enhancives", to
- carrying a couple of Mana Recovery Enhancives that you only take out when needed (like "when you are about to do Mana Pulse"), to
- firing off some of your 'boost' verbs for things like Mana Recovery, to
- getting back all your mana/now needing to recover Spirit instead (if you happen to be in the Council), to...

There's lots of stuff there. Whistle up some Manna bread, too, if you're going to be sitting on a Node recovering.

Wear More Spells. I finally had this lesson drummed into me (mostly by the Reim critters). Scrolls and imbeds are great, if you can't get them all native yourself.

Biggest problem it sounds like you'll run into is that neither of you is terribly high level, so you can't activate a lot of items/scrolls nor get long durations, nor have lots of MC:ranks to move your 'mana pulse' forward & get more mana from them.
On the bright side, though, with you being below 20th level... as soon as you hit the safe room you can do a 'goals' and reallocate all your (combat) skills into magical ranks, like MIU and Arcane Symbols, to activate all of that stuff, and then switch back to combat skills when you're ready.
On the gripping hand... make sure you DO NOT leave all of your combat skills parked that way when you hit 20th level, and your skills get locked in. :)
Re: So... 01/27/2020 12:57 PM CST
Don't forget the REIM BOOSTS, there is one for mana, and ... other stuff.

They use your Reim energy. I have to use the REIM BOOST MANA and SYMBOL OF MANA both in Reim.

---
;tune towncrier
Rohese: "... the TownCrier (tune in if you haven’t, it’s without doubt the best thing to ever happen on LNet)"
Xanith: "It's flat out amazing"
Doug: "100.times ^"
Lawronius: The stuff ... the TownCrier team does is incredible.
Re: So... 01/27/2020 02:13 PM CST
I hate the idea that I have to go find a bunch of different spells elsewhere and figure out enhancives...but I appreciate the info from everyone. Next time, I'll look at REIM BOOST MANA to see if I can do that for the mana bit.

Just have to go in with the attitude it's going to be a bunch of...start killing something, see a swarm move in, move to next room, and repeat, hoping I manage to get a few kill shots off before a room becomes unmanageabble. And then go hang out in the vortex rooms a lot.

~Heathyr