Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page
Re: Coming soon... 12/17/2017 06:27 PM CST
Thanks for providing an explanation, Coase. I don't agree with the decision to pull it, much less immediately prior to the event and strongly urge the PTB to reconsider the decision to pull enhancive permanence this run.

It's possible that I'm salty after buying into the Cyber Monday GoA discount in preparation for what I assumed would be a February run, followed by dropping several million coins on crumbly items once I heard SA was coming up this month. Egg on my face for trying to play into project piece game; I sure as heck won't make that mistake again. This could have been a nice last chance for Simutronics/StillFront make bank off players before the end of the year. Though, what does it matter; they already have my money...
Re: Coming soon... 12/17/2017 06:57 PM CST

It's like Briarmoon Was awesome for the people that pay to play the game, but not profitable for the people in charge so they take it away. Getting too many permanent things takes away from all the people in charge profits.

It's ridiculous.

Just like how the Patriots always get away with cheating. Same thing really
Re: Coming soon... 12/17/2017 08:04 PM CST
>Regarding enhancive permanence, it had become an increasingly common service or the last year or two, way beyond what it was actually planned or authorized to be.

I recall 20 slots being offered this year in total, provided via EG spinner. It also appears that SA may have run in FEB/2017. Was the FEB/2017 run not planned or authorized?

How did it go from planned and authorized in FEB, to not okay by DEC?

>It (and fusion) became increasingly notable when we were going over the 2016 auction items and various feeder items (before that too, but that was the tipping point) to the point where we increasingly found ourselves pulling back on what could be offered with respect to enhancive items because most of the balancing factors that we could add to the items could trivially be circumvented at the next event or two, either by literally orbing away most of the item or by simply applying a common service (which was getting to the point of being slipped into goody bags for basically free).

If the 2016 auction was the "tipping point" how did the FEB/2017 run get approved. And the new 125% cost to recharge doesn't fix the balancing factors related to using enhancives?

>So, unfortunately, we need to pull back enhancive permanence to where we actually wanted its rarity level to be at (which, as a permanent removal of a significant item drawback, should be much rarer).

What does this mean exactly? 20 slots once a year? Some new simucoin event?

>In its place, we are intending to offer a less permanent item crumbliness protection service, so that if you do find a crumbly enhancive item you'd like to to keep, you can still access a fairly common service to prevent it from crumbling, but at a cost and/or effort more in-line with the benefit derived.

Is this a simucoin item? Does it cost silvers? Bounty points?

>Again, I apologize for this, but its an unfortunate set of events that requires us to pull back on some of the excesses of enhancive item distribution that have occurred over the last few years, so that we can have more flexibility in offering new things going forward.

Is the unfortunate set of events the back to back faucet of enhancive items from Duskruin? Will Duskruin be changing to drop less enhancive items?

How would allowing us to have "one last chance" to permify items prevent you from having more flexibility in offering new things going forward?

I'd also like to point out that the other changes to enhancives were announced in advance so people could make choices around them. The changes to orbs, enchanting fusion, etc. One last chance to make an enhancive permanent isn't going to significantly change the future of enhancives.
Re: Coming soon... 12/18/2017 02:24 PM CST
Events change their offerings almost every single time they run. What ran last time is never guaranteed to run again. This is the case with every event we do in GemStone IV and just about holds true from each event we've repeated.

For the enhancive token, specifically the permanence, this was a Sylinar's Spire offering that was limited to 20 to 50 ticket holders. We allowed multiple ticket purchases during the Spire. When it moved to Summit Academy, everyone wasn't on the same page for how we'd continue to offer this service, but it was never anticipated as something offered in mass quantities.

Back in 2010, I offered this service for the first time as my merchant Rolarg at Ebon Gate. That was the only time it was ever specifically approved to be offered in unlimited quantities. Since then, we've either done one per account or limited it to tickets to an event. The SimuCoin events are very tough for us to forecast how they will do, but one thing is certain is that they do much better than we ever anticipated. We can only continue to gather data and adjust the events each run. Even Duskruin, an event that has run 8 times now, is tweaked and molded from previous data. It's constantly evolving. We also don't offer the same things at each Duskruin, we constantly retire or rotate items, services, and treasure.

Two things here to keep in mind. There were plenty of enhancive tokens from February still out in circulation. There are also quite a few from the SimuCon Goodie Bags. Your last hurrah with this service is definitely there, if you can get your hands on them, and there are plenty to get your hands on.

The Development team needs to make some long-needed adjustments to how enhancives are applied to players. The game's longevity is important. During the design of the enhancive system, it was never intended for people to walk around with +40 and +50 to multiple stats and skills, but that's a reality now. We have to scale back at some point. That doesn't mean this service is gone. It's just moving back to a rarer service.

The SimuCoin potion comment doesn't really apply, as it does something different, which is save on bounty points.

Wyrom, PM
Re: Coming soon... 12/18/2017 03:04 PM CST
My subscription was never guaranteed from month to month. I already canceled one and this confirms that the other is now to be canceled.

This is a PVE game. If development spent more time on actually developing new things instead of letting them linger you wouldn't have to spend this time nerfing stuff and worrying about balance against ... no one? There is no PVP, balance shouldn't be your first thought beyond "is everyone invincible, is everyone having fun?".
I don't even use fusion, I don't use enhancives, but I identify them as a way to become more powerful, and the recent years direction of tedium and nerfing is unacceptable.
I regret defending the terrible Mana point change with enchanting. Its consumed my game to now making me feel a slave to hunting and getting that 10k to be able to enchant in reasonable times. I let other parts of the game suffer and become unfun because hunting is so unfun. Theres no real progression available from RP so I never felt I was getting anywhere even while having fun. There was lots of good times that I feel are now ruined by the changes and how they made me feel.
I spent thousands between my subscriptions and what I spent on simucoins and now I just feel disgusted for doing so and being backstabbed.

Thanks for nothing, merry christmas.

Wyrom says, "Ordim is the reason savants won't be coded as well."
Re: Coming soon... 12/18/2017 03:33 PM CST

>Events change their offerings almost every single time they run. What ran last time is never guaranteed to run again.

From the OP of this thread:

>In addition to the services available at the past event (spell preps, swears, signature verbs, log phrases, feature pavilion [for body, distinguishing mark, and wing quirks], enhancive permanence), we've now added spell customizations to the available services. This pertains to things like Manna, Well of Life, Tangleweed, etc. Most, if not all, of the offerings from the last run are available this time around, and many have more options available.

There was no further information for 11 days after this post that the permanence would only be using old/SimuCon-issued tokens. People made plans and you're wondering why they're upset.
Re: Coming soon... 12/18/2017 03:36 PM CST
"hunting and getting that 10k to be able to enchant in reasonable times." -- JoeKups

Maybe I'm alone, at this point, but to me I still think Enchant is pretty good: permanent change, and I can actually do it.
No need for a mana pool, or infusing army.
Pour, wait, cast, done.
This is a huge step up from "1996 to 2004" state of being. (Dates are approximate.)

And now, should I choose to <do something special> in order to get it done faster, I can. (Typically I don't, because I got bored with hunting the Mage in like 2002 or so, but still. I could if I wanted to.)

Is it as flexible or as fast as Ensorcel? 10 weeks for a T5 and max something out? No. Ten weeks is not-done-for-another-month on a 7x, for example.
But I am also NOT required to hunt to enable those casts, as the Sorcerers are with Ensorcel.

Different spell, different effect. Different requirements.
Re: Coming soon... 12/18/2017 04:02 PM CST
>When [permanence] moved to Summit Academy, everyone wasn't on the same page for how we'd continue to offer this service, but it was never anticipated as something offered in mass quantities. ~Wyrom

Wyrom, I appreciate you coming to address our queries but it doesn't diminish my irritation that the team withheld this information until so close to the release of the event. In fact, you response leads me to believe the decision to remove permanence isn't a recent one. Staff has had 10 months to announce that unlimited permanence would not be coming back to SA. Haliste included it as an offering it in the original list of services as posted on 12/4. You also missed the opportunity to correct the record in your 12/4 post regarding how the Feb cubes weren't coming back. Is it because none of us pointedly asked to re-confirm the list of services as originally advertised? Should we start having pre- and port-mortem checklists for every event now to inquire whether N item/service was offered in error and whether it will be returning in the future? I get that you want to ensure health and longevity for the game, but if we don't know what YOUR plans are, how can we adequately plan for them?
Re: Coming soon... 12/18/2017 04:12 PM CST
>>My subscription was never guaranteed from month to month. I already canceled one and this confirms that the other is now to be canceled.

We definitely encourage players to take a break if they are no longer getting enjoyment from their subscription. It's unfortunate the way you feel, but it is within your right to place your entertainment dollars where yo see fit.

>>If development spent more time on actually developing new things instead of letting them linger you wouldn't have to spend this time nerfing stuff and worrying about balance against ... no one?

The Development Team spends countless hours developing new things, as GemStone IV has had more developments in the last 3 years than ever before.

>>There was no further information for 11 days after this post that the permanence would only be using old/SimuCon-issued tokens. People made plans and you're wondering why they're upset.

If someone made a purchase on or after 12/4 that we can verify from the logs for in-game silver and they used the GIVE or EXCHANGE verb, I'll go ahead and reimburse your silver and take the enhancive item out of game. You will need to email me directly using the email author link to the left of this post (in Legacy).

Wyrom, PM
Re: Coming soon... 12/18/2017 04:13 PM CST
Krakii, thank you very much for your contributions and you are seem like a very genuine and fun person when I met you for a short time. I don't always follow your posts but I appreciate what you helped create and pave the way for. That being said, it is exactly that kind of attitude that allows people to get away with tiny incremental changes instead of properly modernizing things.
"well, its a bit better then it was, even if its not what it really should be"
The simple fact is that the game is pulled in so many directions and doesn't have a proper cohesive feel when it comes to whether it wants to be tedious, difficult, fun or easy. It's clear based on the way items are distributed that they aren't meant to be lost, but we still have major item lose mechanics, some only recently being removed, many still to come. And instead of just removing them, they are going to be implemented with even MORE tedium added to recover "lost" items... why? The target market is clearly becoming casual players, none of that caters to casual players who are willing to spend lots of money to have items lost or wait forever and a day to get nothing but more stick and no carrot.

Many voices spoke up in the past, I didn't agree then. But I see what is now and I am sorry I didn't speak up then.

Wyrom says, "Ordim is the reason savants won't be coded as well."
Re: Coming soon... 12/18/2017 04:18 PM CST

>If someone made a purchase on or after 12/4 that we can verify from the logs for in-game silver and they used the GIVE or EXCHANGE verb, I'll go ahead and reimburse your silver and take the enhancive item out of game. You will need to email me directly using the email author link to the left of this post (in Legacy).

pretty snarky response. Some people also spent time going through their inventory looking to see what needed to be permified. Are you going to give us back our time as well?
Re: Coming soon... 12/18/2017 04:43 PM CST
5 star thread gg

~ Methais
Re: Coming soon... 12/18/2017 05:04 PM CST
Thanks Wyrom. If I am able to verify things through my logs, I'll reach out to you.
Re: Coming soon... 12/18/2017 05:06 PM CST
>>We definitely encourage players to take a break if they are no longer getting enjoyment from their subscription. It's unfortunate the way you feel, but it is within your right to place your entertainment dollars where yo see fit.

From a customer service perspective, I'm struggling to understand the rationale for this kind of response. Why would you want to "encourage" your loyal/long-standing playerbase to leave rather than attempt to understand or acknowledge the reasons for their dissatisfaction. It's just bizarre!

>>You slay me woman! ~ Wyrom

https://gswiki.play.net/Rohese_Bayvel-Timsh'l
Re: Coming soon... 12/18/2017 05:31 PM CST
< Why would you want to "encourage" your loyal/long-standing playerbase to leave rather than attempt to understand or acknowledge the reasons for their dissatisfaction. It's just bizarre! >

Likely because there's no applicable "quarter" to be given in this scenario. The customer is griping, but there's not a workable solution available. In the scheme of the real world, they would have been sent to a client feedback cycle where the gripe/email was read, scanned, checked for keywords and an applicable refusal letter sent.

I don't like the scenario either, but at least you're getting an authentic response. What's 3 months of missing revenue for a game that's lasted 20 years in comparison to an outright closing of accounts?

We can't all be cast iron pots and kettles when reviewing snark.

~James/Stunseed
Re: Coming soon... 12/18/2017 05:33 PM CST

As a long term player, enhancive permanence and swapping is one of the few things I can tweak slightly to improve my character. Permanence is simply a means to insure I do not make a minor oversight on an item and lose it. Enhancive's are already entirely to hard to manage as it is.

Duskruin dumped enhancives on the game world. Now we are worried they are making players too powerful?

That is why there was limits placed on stats and skills max bonuses, no?

That is why there was level limits on items, no?

That is why we had to recharge them using huge amounts of bounty points, or pay for a 30 day potion with simucoins, no?

I play games because I enjoy them. When they become tedious chores, they are no longer are fun.

Aurach (the multi enhancive skills+stats op ranger)
Re: Coming soon... 12/18/2017 05:54 PM CST
>>pretty snarky response. Some people also spent time going through their inventory looking to see what needed to be permified. Are you going to give us back our time as well?

How is that snarky? I'm willing to offer a complete refund for anyone who spent silver on a purchase in game as long as it was between the dates of 12/4 and the response that the service won't be offered.

Wyrom, PM
Re: Coming soon... 12/18/2017 06:31 PM CST
>How is that snarky? I'm willing to offer a complete refund for anyone who spent silver on a purchase in game as long as it was between the dates of 12/4 and the response that the service won't be offered.

You're also looking to take the items out of circulation. Your solution serves you more than serving the playerbase.
Re: Coming soon... 12/18/2017 06:34 PM CST
Well yes, that's how refunds work. I have to take it back. You're more than welcome to work out a deal with the seller who can take the item back. I'm not sure I understand your stance here. We'd not go after the seller of the item, since it wasn't they call, they'd get to keep the silvers as well.

Wyrom, PM
Re: Coming soon... 12/18/2017 06:38 PM CST

I don't feel like people will realistically go for that.

Once again an event cannot go off without a major hitch. Every single one. Who is reading these announcements before they are posted for completeness?
Re: Coming soon... 12/18/2017 06:39 PM CST
While I agree 100% with your change, please don't say stuff like this:

>>as GemStone IV has had more developments in the last 3 years than ever before

There's too much production history in the product in the past 3 decades to back a statement like that up. It diminishes your position. As someone who started working on the product in 1992, I can say that GemStone as a playable universe grew by leaps and bounds between 1996 to 2001, receiving a huge amount of system development, area expansion beyond the Landing, creature AI, customer service enhancements, and more. Most of what players experience today was created during that time frame.

Now that said, I do agree there's a problem that needs to be solved. Sadly, the core skill advancement system does not match the design of the original combat system. It was a 20-30 level product at best, and now we have 100+ (post cap as well) levels shoved into it. The sad reality is, that's a problem that can't just be solved without significant game changes that could easily cause huge subscriber problems. The system that Warden and I designed via Growing Pains (the first one) to combat this problem had to be discarded as well due to its huge development time/cost. It's unfortunate, but that's where we sit. Do I claim responsibility? I suppose so in part. And I mean "unfortunate" for everyone, players and developers alike. I am sure everyone would like a more scalable product, since most popular long-living games include two major features that everyone seems to like: Customization, and Itemization. GemStone has customization down pat. There's no more customizable product out there. Itemization however suffers due to the original design. When we de-Iced and went to the web, we took a 20 level game system (RoleMaster) and tried to make a scaling product, and that just didn't work. Since then, several systems have been bolted on top of it, enhancives included, and those need constant adjustment. We can't continue to add layers like this without going back and ensuring we are maintaining at least some form of balance, such as it is.

Granted, a bit more information earlier might have been ideal, but the player base also made an assumption that they shouldn't have as well. I condone neither side's actions, but each side has a huge stake here as well.
Re: Coming soon... 12/18/2017 07:32 PM CST

>but the player base also made an assumption that they shouldn't have as well

>In addition to the services available at the past event (spell preps, swears, signature verbs, log phrases, feature pavilion [for body, distinguishing mark, and wing quirks], enhancive permanence), we've now added spell customizations to the available services. This pertains to things like Manna, Well of Life, Tangleweed, etc. Most, if not all, of the offerings from the last run are available this time around, and many have more options available.

Where does it say there that the offering of enhancive permanence would be very limited? it is listed there with all of the other customizations that would be available the same as the past event. The same day of this announcement it was posted that cubes (not mentioned in the OP) would not be returning, but nothing even hinting at this major change until over a week later.

Of course people made the assumption that permanence was returning in the same form as before.
Re: Coming soon... 12/18/2017 09:46 PM CST

"it was never intended for people to walk around with +40 and +50 to multiple stats and skills, but that's a reality now. We have to scale back at some point"

Sanctimony about scaling back for the sake of game balance would be more convincing if you were not, at the same time, offering in the simucoin store the 30 day enhancive charger potions that, literally enable people to walk around with +50 enhancives in exchange for $.

You do realize that people are going to "walk around" with +50 enhancives next week, whether you hoist yourself with your own petard related to the Summit event, right?

I mean its sort of like a classic false choice: either we cut back on enhancive tokens, or else people will walk around with +50 enhancives!
Re: Coming soon... 12/19/2017 08:22 AM CST
So are you going to refund peoples simucoins to for those who bought those preparing for this event in advance on the promise of what was coming?
Re: Coming soon... 12/19/2017 08:59 AM CST
Wyrom:

>Since then, we've either done one per account or limited it to tickets to an event. The SimuCoin events are very tough for us to forecast how they will do, but one thing is certain is that they do much better than we ever anticipated. We can only continue to gather data and adjust the events each run. Even Duskruin, an event that has run 8 times now, is tweaked and molded from previous data. It's constantly evolving.

Translation: The SimuCoin model either hasn't been working or we don't understand it.
Re: Coming soon... 12/19/2017 11:00 AM CST
I find the 100k+ experience required to level through the 80s to be a high degree of tedium, too; should we turn that down? Versus I'm really liking my little Monk I started a couple of months ago, he's in the low-20s right now, not even 50k/level. And I'm just WILD about my little 6th level Cleric, who only needs like 4k (or whatever it is) to make level...

This IS a long-term game. Yes, someone min/maxing their way through with a strong knowledge of mechanics and a bunch of time on their hands, sure, they can get to cap in a year or less. But for most folks? This is a multi-year trip; COMPLETELY different from, well, essentially every other game out there. (We've all heard about the MMORPGs, you're capped in a month, then it's just "grind for gear".)

Same thing between Ensorcel and Enchant: two completely different mechanics. And, oh look! They provide completely different benefits. Also, two completely different designs (because one is nearly thirty years older than the other).
Re: Coming soon... 12/19/2017 11:30 AM CST
"the simucoin store the 30 day enhancive charger potions that, literally enable people to walk around with +50 enhancives in exchange for $.

You do realize that people are going to "walk around" with +50 enhancives next week, whether you hoist yourself with your own petard related to the Summit event, right?" -- GilchristR

You do realize that there is a big difference between
"managing to keep enough actual charges in an item (to ensure that it does not have a chance to crumble) and also then keeping twelve (12) potions going for EACH of the minimum of three (3) items to achieve Enhancive cap (be it 40 for stat or 50 for skill), for EACH year"
and
"pay this fee once, ever, for each of these items" (to ensure the first step, "never crumble")... and then just have to worry about charges (which can be done by a merchant in-game for silvers, or at the Guild for Bounty Points/silvers at the end of the year... now that you are not worried about that whole "it might crumble" issue)?

And that's "a big difference" on ALL THREE sides of the equation: us as the player managing all of that, and on their side as a game provider enabling it/having to balance for it, and on their side as a for-profit company managing cashflow.

When <someone, maybe Haliste?> replied to my comment about crumbliness with a reminder that armor (to include accessories) & weapons & shields did not crumble, it prompted me to go looking at those quite a bit harder.
For anyone that I have who is already in head-to-toe coverage? SURE, bring on the enhancive helm and arm greaves and whatnot. Why not?
And maybe I pick up some crit- or elemental-protection along the way, too. I don't care about it, per se, but if it comes for free--along with the Enhancive that I'm actually interested in--why not?

I went looking for pocketed containers, too, for the same reason.
Re: Coming soon... 12/19/2017 06:52 PM CST
>This IS a long-term game. Yes, someone min/maxing their way through with a strong knowledge of mechanics and a bunch of time on their hands, sure, they can get to cap in a year or less. But for most folks? This is a multi-year trip; COMPLETELY different from, well, essentially every other game out there. (We've all heard about the MMORPGs, you're capped in a month, then it's just "grind for gear".)

Does an increase in the time it takes to level to max make a game better? Those MMORPGs also offer more development and more content. They have things to do at max level. They have more than a glorified repeatable quest. They have a story that doesn't require a GM to force everything to happen.
Re: Coming soon... 12/19/2017 07:31 PM CST
>> They have a story that doesn't require a GM to force everything to happen.

Without weighing in too heavily on this - I can't think of ANY other game where the story often is written by the players, and sometimes (?:infrequently|not-often-enough) actually incorporated and used by the GMs. I don't see this as 'GM force something to happen', I see it as 'GM recording what happened and helping to increase the engagement'.

Certainly not everybody's cup of tea - but not available anywhere else I can think of off the top of my head.

Doug
Re: Coming soon... 12/21/2017 04:54 AM CST
I don't understand the fall back stance of lots of changes being necessary for game balance. As someone said, it's pretty much all PvE and GM storylines can tweak their critter stats however they want. Regardless of what yall do there is always going to be unbalanced players due to being heavily experienced post cap or due to acquiring items.

I think the players that want balance and challenge have that in spades. The HARDCORE mode that has gained popularity is entirely player driven with no aid from staff other than some communication tools.

Personally, a big draw of this game for me is creating a unique character that feels overpowered due to leveling, training, and items. I don't want to feel like the sidekick; I want to feel like the hero.

Regardless of the staffs' intentions, I think the general perception of many in the player base is that you're taking away our ability to be powerful. Frankly I don't understand this because every game that introduces micro transactions is essentially selling tools for a new player to have an advantage from day 1 and be more powerful.

The biggest issue I see is that yall are being very shortsighted in your thinking and not able to consider longterm consequences as you have said you continually underestimate how well things do. This is probably because you keep forgetting that the majority of your players are older and have more disposable income compared to the average WoW player.

I have a lot of respect for the staff. I'm married, work 40 to 50 hrs a week and have a young child. I'm sure much of the staff is similar. I can only imagine how much time you then have to devote to a side job/hobby.
That being said, 2017 has been a year of missteps if we look back at all the issues regarding events and unpolarity of many changes.

As I gaze over the horizon, the wind tugs at my cloak and whispers, "Adventure" in my ear.

AIM: Kaight (Matt) GS4
Re: Coming soon... 12/21/2017 10:53 AM CST
There are lots of different reasons people play. My understanding is only a limited group of players were attempting to maximize fusion. When maximized, fusion gear creates a pretty big disparity for continuous balance. In other words, it makes it hard to create and release new things. Rather than penalizing the players who aren't using fusion, it seems to make more sense to try to bring fusion back down to the way it was designed.

This is my own observation, and I could be completely wrong. I know for certain that once a change is made it becomes a precedent. It is exceedingly difficult to fix a problem once there is a precedent without grievance from players who were using it to their advantage. Especially so with something like fusion, that can mitigate racial and professional trade-offs. I'm not surprised players of halflings and gnomes, for example, are upset about the fusion changes, or giants who swing a lance, or any number of similar examples where fusion has become a fundamental part of being able to play the character as they want to. And, since fusion has been around for quite awhile, players have lots of time and money invested in it to create things like maxed out logic daggers, for example. I suspect they are asking how they are going to be reimbursed for this change, and the answer is not forthcoming.

This was a no-win scenario. Someone would have lost out, one way or the other -- even if the status quo was maintained, even if cheap fusion was pushed out to everyone.
Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page