Monthly Unlocks 01/16/2020 03:18 PM CST
Tomorrow evening, we're going to put some unlock certificates in the store that will only be available for a limited time each month. We're going to start this with a 2-week pilot run. Items will only be available that month in the store and not repeating each year. Items will have a non-mechanical focus (at least for now).

We're going to start with the following unlock certificates.

Stufimals
WhisperCloaks
Nalfein Black Rose Decks.

We'll have every unlock tier available. These unlock certificates being available in the SimuCoin Store directly won't impact if they'll be available by other means.

Wyrom, PM
Re: Monthly Unlocks 01/16/2020 03:45 PM CST
Did Bethesda quietly acquire Simu? Every time I turn around the Simucoin creep advances just a bit further....

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Monthly Unlocks 01/16/2020 04:26 PM CST
Would people prefer to be able to shop for their RP unlocks during an entire WINDOW of time,
or
try desperately to a) hit the uncommon Xerria appearances [after first being Premium] and then b) get chosen by the spinner, and then c) luck into "nobody has used up the limited unlocks available for this year yet"?

(I grant that the third one can still happen with the SC option, but this is not like a Pay-to-Win situation that people complain about making their items more powerful. These are RP nifty-ness.)

Given that the approximately ninety hojillion "how to make your fortune" books that are out on the market all say, "find something that people want and sell it to them", this seems like a natural for companies that, I don't know... sell stuff.

If everyone is seriously up in arms about it, boycott and don't buy those RP fluff item upgrades. Tell your friends not to! Black-highlight everyone that you see getting one delivered! Ignore them forever, the heinous dogs! That'll teach 'em!

(Or.)

Is it really that bad? Really?
Re: Monthly Unlocks 01/16/2020 06:01 PM CST
>Is it really that bad? Really?

Or this just helps reinforce the idea to GMs that folks will pay extra money st the simucoin store for RP unlocks on items...

Items with tires will be made and left with minimal ways to unlock them and wok find them on the SC store for those unwilling to play the waiting game...

Double edge sword, if you ask me.
Re: Monthly Unlocks 01/16/2020 06:49 PM CST
Slippery slope.

Avaia, player of
Re: Monthly Unlocks 01/16/2020 07:19 PM CST
It is plenty bad.

They create the items, they decide how many tiers and unlocks and the rarity of it.

But then they're also responsible for giving opportunities to unlock for free or at events.

If they can just sell the unlocks for cash...well why bother with doing free unlocks?

Its more like a heavily lubricated slope now rather than a slippery one.
Re: Monthly Unlocks 01/16/2020 07:51 PM CST
If I understand this correctly, I like the concept of allowing non-premium users to unlock gear, and I think it makes more sense to do this sort of thing with a certificate than in a merchant line. Several of the premium perks could be split off so that players can select them a la carte. Just keep the costs relatively high so they don't devalue the premium bundle.

Hopefully, in the long run, these certificates will make it easier to unlock items after the item owner disappears. The issues with fluff unlocks will be best addressed when there's no market for them. As Krakii says, if you don't like them, don't buy them.
Re: Monthly Unlocks 01/16/2020 08:42 PM CST
This is very exciting to see for me personally. Many of us don’t have time to be in game due to real life concerns like jobs and things, and miss many opportunities to get things unlocked during events that happen in game. So things like this open up opportunities for casual players to continue to advance their gear and characters while continuing to do the things in their lives that they have to.

I absolutely loved the Jangling Junker at EG because it gave the opportunity to casually get the unlocks without having to panic the whole week feeling you were going to miss the chance to get items unlocked, and I feel this is another version of that.

I have a Peretta cloak that has been stuck on Tier 2 for going on two years now and would love to finish it and get it fully unlocked, I also have spider bags that are unlocked but still missing spiders, I have a Fana weapon that isn’t fully unlocked and have never seen those unlocks offered, and that just scratches the surface of items that are unfinished. I am all for any way to finish these items.

So thank you for this, I think it’s a good thing.
Re: Monthly Unlocks 01/16/2020 09:44 PM CST
> If they can just sell the unlocks for cash...well why bother with doing free unlocks?

Overall, most GMs who "own" cool tiered scripts like to take as many chances as they can to provide those services because it's nice to see how appreciative people are with the fluff-n-stuff that came from your brain.

I am mostly fine with the store being a way for F2P to get extra things that as a paid sub we get free and then having some extra fluff-based services also available in the store for those people with spare cash and not time, especially since right now this is for fluff. My problem will typically be if they stop offering in-game methods as well, if in-game development essentially becomes "hey, new thing we created is only for purchase in Simucoin store", or it strongly becomes P2W (pay to win) with mechanics-oriented stuff.

It's a balancing act and a slippery slope, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Wyrom is already aware and keeping a strong eye on it.

Now, I do think on some fluff items the rarity may need to be decreased, but I've not been back long enough to gauge any of that. Heck, I don't know 99% of the items people talk about when they are talking about tiered items and I'm spending a fair amount on the wiki trying to find them and then thinking about how I can get them <g>

~Heathyr
Re: Monthly Unlocks 01/16/2020 10:25 PM CST
Well, for instance, Whisper Cloak Unlocks have not been offered anywhere to my knowledge. At least within the last 4 years. You buy one at Duskruin fully unlocked or not - and if you buy the one that is not, you are stuck with it in OTS condition.

So here's a way to finally get yours unlocked!

Imagine being a premium player in Australia. When would you ever be near Xerria, or any merchant during any event?

I think it is a great idea!

---
;tune towncrier
Rohese: "... the TownCrier (tune in if you haven’t, it’s without doubt the best thing to ever happen on LNet)"
Xanith: "It's flat out amazing"
Doug: "100.times ^"
Lawronius: The stuff ... the TownCrier team does is incredible.
Re: Monthly Unlocks 01/16/2020 10:39 PM CST
What's the reason that fluff unlocks has to be done via cash payment rather than well...in-game silver?

Why isn't this an in-game silver cert shop instead?
Re: Monthly Unlocks 01/16/2020 10:41 PM CST
I'm with Luxie on this. More of this please, especially for impossible to find unlocks.
Re: Monthly Unlocks 01/17/2020 08:52 AM CST
>My problem will typically be if they stop offering in-game methods as well, if in-game development essentially becomes "hey, new thing we created is only for purchase in Simucoin store", or it strongly becomes P2W (pay to win) with mechanics-oriented stuff.

Heathyr, if you really feel like going down that rabbit-hole I would suggest looking into the history of Duskruin Arena and the multitude of criticisms that have arisen over the years about its PaytoGrindCurrencytoWin or P2W model. There are many of us who have clanged the warning bell, foreseeing a day when micro-transactions creep into nearly every aspect of the game.

It is what it is. We are not going to change it, and I understand that. I will, however, likely "stand up" and sound that claxon every time some next little part of the game switches over to the a-cash-transaction-is-all-that-is-needed paradigm.

Avaia, player of
Re: Monthly Unlocks 01/17/2020 09:01 AM CST
Currently, as described, I see these as a feature of convenience for those who do not feel like waiting for the merchant to come around.
Are they going to appeal to everyone? No. Then again, many/most of the items in the SC store do/do not appeal to everyone.
Heck, many/most of the items in Duskruin--to include the HESS--do or do not appeal to everyone. (I routinely look at the [thirty-plus] offerings there and go, "Meh." Except for those like 4 that I really want...)
Re: Monthly Unlocks 01/17/2020 11:09 AM CST
I like this idea. I hate having items I've bought that are locked and I know I'll never realistically be able to unlock them. Please please don't be greedy and overprice things, but otherwise I think this is a nice alternative for players and gives more choices for how to handle their items. Especially for those who rarely make it to merchants and spins.
Re: Monthly Unlocks 01/17/2020 08:03 PM CST
I understand the concerns, but we don't plan on creating items with many tiers to exploit any sort of offering like this. We plan to continue to offer in-game ways to achieve these unlocks. This is an alternative option we'll have available once a month. This is just a pilot run right now to see how it goes. January will be the only time we offer this batch. We are offering three different items. Whisper cloaks are our lower end unlock certificates which will be significantly cheaper. Stufimals will be our mid-end unlock certificates and the Nalfein Black Rose Deck are consider our rarer offer. In February we'll have something new. We might only do one item group at a time moving forward. All depends on how this is received.

Sale should be live in roughly ten minutes from this post and will go on until the end of the month (January 31st at 10pm ET). Please offer any feedback you might have.

Wyrom, PM
Re: Monthly Unlocks 01/23/2020 10:18 AM CST
Please note that the Stuffimals script does not indicate the Tier in the ANALYZE, so hard to know which certificate to buy.
Re: Monthly Unlocks 01/25/2020 10:49 AM CST
>>Please note that the Stuffimals script does not indicate the Tier in the ANALYZE, so hard to know which certificate to buy.

We'll get something (whether ANALYZE or another tool) updated.

Wyrom, PM
Re: Monthly Unlocks 02/20/2020 01:32 PM CST
I realize this never happened. We had some hiccups with the store earlier this month, and then it was full blown Duskruin with very little time to get this completed.

We'll resume in March and feature two items with multiple unlocks.

Wyrom, PM