Quest/event or something from pre 1997 02/15/2011 03:35 PM CST
I am trying to get a bit of help identifying an item. I have seen a few of these around, and a couple people do remember them. However no one that I have spoken to have told me the specific event that these came from, I think they were handed out, not purchased, but I am just not sure.

Its a
translucent glaes spider charm

that has a few niftly scripts to it, including having a spider that lives inside it and waves at you sometimes.
it has the following written on it

Tiny, exquisitely-formed letters fade into view on the parchment back of your glaes spider charm...

"Follow me," said the spider to the unenlightened sprite,
"To lands of bold adventure, of darkness and of light.
Join me in my web," she urged, "We'll be so happy there.
Your fantasies await you, there in my dreaming lair."

As you read, the verse fades into invisibility once again...

Tiny, exquisitely-formed letters fade into view on the parchment back of your glaes spider charm...

"Though quaking with uncertainty the sprite did as she bade
- Following the fragile path of silver thread she made.
Until at last he turned along the final twisting strand
To find he'd journeyed far to reach his own beloved land.

- from "The Journey Home"
by Fraen Wasstont
Early Fourth Age

As you finish reading, the poem fades into invisibility once again.

It also seems these came in a few different color variations, black, gold, translucent,, that I am aware of. Does anyone remember or know specifically what that event was ? I beleive there bonded, although in researching I did see one that had been sold. I am not sure if there functional for someone other then the original owner or not. The one I have has alaways been mine.
Re: Quest/event or something from pre 1997 02/15/2011 03:41 PM CST
>> Join me in my web," she urged, "We'll be so happy there.<<

The spider charms were distributed as part of the move from GS3 to GS4.. To the 'web' ;)

~Diana, Seomanthe's (much less colorful) keeper
Re: Quest/event or something from pre 1997 02/15/2011 03:44 PM CST
That was a gift item. They are bonded and I think the scripts do not work for anyone else. I think it was handed out with the move from AOL to the web. Sort of like the giftboxes we more recently got. It should have verbs to shoot a web (no effect, just text) at random people, and climb in your nose (lick). They die if you pour liquid in them, so please do not. Was my favorite gift item ever, and I miss mine terribly.

AIM: GS4Menos

>Here lies the formless world we´re living in
>Gravity is finally giving in
>High altitudes and still upward we go
>I was never meant to lead but to follow
Re: Quest/event or something from pre 1997 02/15/2011 04:57 PM CST
From what I understood (and this may be a few years old) that they were replaceable by a GM if they exploded.

You can push them, raise them (for smoke), tap for colors, or rub.

Josh
Re: Quest/event or something from pre 1997 02/15/2011 04:58 PM CST
Yep. Same here, very much at the top of my list of stuff I wish I still had. Mine also was a victim of trying out different verbs on them before anyone knew they could be destroyed.

And it wasn't a GS3-GS4 thing, that was much much later.

These were given out to everyone in celebration of moving Gemstone from AOL over to the web (the play.net move).

Upon your first login after Gemstone officially "moved", you were immediately greeted by some messaging about a spider crawling down a wall and jumping onto your chest. Scared the crap out of me at the time!!

They are indeed attuned. There was a rumor floating around for a while that you could pour a white flask into it and keep people with it (There were no refillable LK flasks at the time) which was a pretty cool idea. I don't think that ever turned out to be true though.

There is a way to make them change color though I don't remember how. That may also be a verb only useable by the original owner.

Balinworn
Re: Quest/event or something from pre 1997 02/15/2011 05:37 PM CST
That would be the item, and yes it changes color, the spider does come out of it, and it also waves to me.

From what your telling me, it would be best if I stop playing with it completely before the poor spider dies.

It doesn't seem to be shooting the webs anymore and when I look close, the spider seems to be barely glowing. I would much rather preserve it now, and offer it to one of the museums in RR or the landings, if they want it.. then see it die and stop functioning. IF it was or is supposed to be repairable back to its original state I am still fine with donating it. I would however rather see it in the original form then diminished. Please let me know if any of the museums would like to have it.

I had one of the GMs look at it, so I am sure he knows who to get hold of IG, or just post here.
Re: Quest/event or something from pre 1997 02/15/2011 05:42 PM CST
Also, I was never on the AOL server, I was using Prodigy back then, but Id say it was the same for both as I did move the account off prodigy to play.net as soon as it was available, and also joined as a premium when that came available. Moving from paying by the hour to a monthly fee back then was a godsend!