Sand Elementals 10/24/2010 11:28 AM CDT
I think I may have hit upon some elementals with buggy ability levels. For the past year and a half(+/- months), I have been trying to train up a batch of 5 sand elementals in four of the base abiltiies: Sandstorm, digging, carving and holding.

In that time, I have managed to cap out two elemental in all four abilities. However 3 of the 5 don't seem to have ever co-operated to perform a Hold. They can't gain a rank because the skill level is too low to have a chance to perform the action.

Anyone able to take a peek at them to see if this is intended? After so much time, I think if I had any shot of getting this done, it would have at least some middling level of ability.

The Nalfein Kitten
Re: Sand Elementals 10/24/2010 01:27 PM CDT
I have been trying to train up a batch of 5 sand elementals in four of the base abiltiies: Sandstorm, digging, carving and holding.

A tangental sandstorm question that I had been planning to post. Is there any place that you can put the digging ability to use?

-- Faulkil
Re: Sand Elementals 10/24/2010 01:30 PM CDT
There's an area in Northern OTF that allows for digging to be done.

The Nalfein Kitten
Re: Sand Elementals 10/24/2010 03:18 PM CDT
Also a beach outside Solhaven that works.
Re: Sand Elementals 10/24/2010 08:38 PM CDT
what kinda digging we talking about? treasure map digging? digging for seashells digging? getting down and funky digging it digging?
Re: Sand Elementals 12/20/2010 12:21 PM CST
Way late here...

This is purely anecdotal, so take it for what that's worth...

I seem to recall that the sand elementals were "unique" in regards to their overall abilities. What that means mechanically, is that they are unlikely to be perfect in all abilities, ever.

Their abilities all start at random places, and some of them have better chances to get better at some abilities than others. I don't think it's entirely impossible for a sand elemental to succeed at any given ability though, it's just more or less likely based on it's current level of training.

Lastly, you can have a bard loresing to a sand elemental to discover it's current level of training. It will take several verses, as they must get past the story loresong before getting to the information about training.

"The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power" - William Shakespeare
Re: Sand Elementals 12/20/2010 05:41 PM CST
Krip, you're correct in that when beginning, the sand elementals generated with random levels of ability in each of the different skill groups (morphing, digging, carving, holding, bashing, quaking, sandstorm, etc). The desireable skills were relatively low while the annoyance skills were relatively high.

To my knowledge, it was intended that with enough patience/effort you could train the elementals to the maximum for each ability: for good abilities it meant that it was 100% success rate and the bad abilities would 100% stop firing.

My issue is that the elementals generated with a skill level so low that it hasn't ever worked. Therefore it can never gain a skill to be able to work.

The Nalfein Kitten