Arena of the Abyss Updates 09/30/2020 12:16 AM CDT
The Arena of the Abyss (AotA) will be returning this year. Price to enter will be the same (100 seashells) with the same combat format. The experience orbs that dropped in the arena were intended to be 400 XP. In April of this year, we changed XP orbs from 100, 200, 300, and 400 to 250, 500, 750, and 1000 respectively. We didn't anticipate there to be so many yellow orbs out there from AotA still.

This year, we'll be dropping shimmering green orbs, which are modifiers. They will award 250 flat XP and will modify how much experience you absorb briefly.

The other rewards are fusion tokens which can be used to work with the fusion shaman or sold to the junker for some seashells, a withered dried-out heart that can be broken apart for silvers, a gem, or a standard treasure drop, and the necrotic rings.

AotA will be opening up when all other games open up.

Wyrom, PM
Re: Arena of the Abyss Updates 09/30/2020 05:34 AM CDT
What's the drop rate of the green orbs going to look like vs the previous yellow orbs drop rate?
Re: Arena of the Abyss Updates 09/30/2020 12:51 PM CDT

what are we to do from october 1st through the 10th?

!!!
Re: Arena of the Abyss Updates 09/30/2020 12:55 PM CDT
Shop. And I believe story line begins first night.
Re: Arena of the Abyss Updates 10/15/2020 10:04 AM CDT
This year, there will be a few purchasable upgrades to necrotic rings that should available in the next week or two:

Unstable Manifestation: in addition to the existing worn finger location, your necrotic jewelry can be upgraded to add new worn locations: wrist, ankle, neck, and ear. This will also affect the illusion that the jewelry projects. Each new worn location will cost 25,000 seashells to unlock and will allow you to rotate between your unlocked worn locations at any time.

Lich's Curse: this curse causes the necrotic jewelry to have a chance to spawn a greater (boss) undead creature when it triggers. These are normal boss creatures which are higher level and have a random selection of boons. Killing these creatures results in long-term experience and more treasure (compared to their non-boss variants). It will cost 10,000 seashells to increase the odds of the curse triggering by 1%, unlockable up to 100 times (100% chance). This curse can be enabled/disabled at will on the jewelry, causing only normal undead to spawn.

Voln's Blessing: The Destroyer of the Undead blesses those who complete his work. When you slay an undead generated by your necrotic jewelry, there is a chance to receive Voln's Blessing, which results in +15 AS, +15 DS, +10 CS, and +10 TD for 30 seconds It will cost 10,000 seashells to increase the odds of the blessing triggering by 1%, unlockable up to 100 times (100% chance).

GameMaster Estild
Re: Arena of the Abyss Updates 10/15/2020 10:33 AM CDT
Some initial thoughts on the Necrotic Ring upgrades:

Unstable Manifestation: Seems useful! I like this as is.

Lich's Curse: I think this is about 10x more expensive than it should be. 10% chance being 100,000 seashells...I dunno, seems a lot? I get that if it was too cheap youd have boss critters every time for cheap but a) is that so bad, considering that you need to keep these charges and there is only one place to do so, once a year? and b) perhaps there could be a sliding scale of cost. 1k for the first 10% increase, 2.5k for the next 10%, etc etc until you get to the 10k percentage increases?

Voln's Blessing: Initially on reading this I thought 'Oh Wow!' but then I re-read it and realized that it was only undead generated by my ring. I'd pay the 10k per percent straight up if it was all undead. Being that it is only the rings undead, this suffers from the same cost issues as Lich's Curse.

AuchandToday at 11:28 PM
I would like to reiterate: Whick is my hero.

What is love? BB don't hurt me05/13/2020
Whick's so helpful! He's our villain even in our backchannel chatter as staff. :smile:
Re: Arena of the Abyss Updates 10/15/2020 11:04 AM CDT
Wyrom, can you please advise whether the drop rate on orbs was changed? It appears to have been nearly halved compared to last year.

Some lady softly says, "Naamit is over-rated."
You reply, speaking to the lady, "At least I have ratings."
Re: Arena of the Abyss Updates 10/16/2020 11:21 AM CDT
Estild confirmed on Discord that the drop rate for orbs was additionally reduced this year, to account for the greater amount of experience the green orb affords over time as a modifier.

It would've been nice to have the reduced drop rate explicitly stated in the original list of AoA updates so expectations could be set accordingly.

Thanks!

Re: Arena of the Abyss Updates 10/16/2020 11:39 PM CDT
This is AWESOME!!

-- Wheels & Skulls Department

You see Blood Mayor Cruxophim the Blood Reaver.
“Blood for the Blood Mayor! Skulls for the Skull Office!”

[ Storyline: https://goo.gl/HNbwpC ]
[ Order of the Shadow: https://goo.gl/88Ojff ]
Re: Arena of the Abyss Updates 10/17/2020 12:01 AM CDT
Wow! Those are super cool! Great upgrade!

The one thing holding them back is that there's still no way to add charges outside of EG - it'd be neat if there was another way (even if it was at other pay events like DR and RW).

Great job! Keep the hits comin!
Re: Arena of the Abyss Updates 10/17/2020 05:56 PM CDT
This sounds like a very exciting addition. Thanks for the effort that went into making this happen. I'm already planning on going down the Lich's Curse and Unstable Manifestation upgrade tree somewhat.

Is there a chance you could revisit the Voln's Blessing upgrade tree? Especially the duration of the effect. I was trying to come up with at least close to an apples to apples comparison on the cost per benefit calculations, and here's what I came up with. The cost for 13 minutes a day of Voln's Blessing (that means Voln's Blessing will trigger 10,000 times over the course of a year) is roughly equivalent to the cost of the off-the-shelf price of three and a half Empathic Focus (1109) pendants sold previously at DR. At 101 MIU ranks, each one of those pendants will give over one hour's usage. Voln's Blessing adds an interesting dynamic to the item, but at 13 minutes per day, the value isn't there unless the duration is about 20-30x longer. Perhaps it could be a refreshable, non-stackable, 10 minute buff?

That's just my 2 cents. Certainly not a complaint since I'm only window shopping. Thanks for the consideration.
Re: Arena of the Abyss Updates 10/17/2020 06:37 PM CDT
To put it slightly differently, the current cost of Voln's Blessing on a per minute basis is currently over 20 times more expensive than the 1x a day Empathic Focus (1109) pendant that sold at DR for 100k BS.
Re: Arena of the Abyss Updates 10/21/2020 06:01 PM CDT
A birdy told me that you were looking for some information on the Updates.... Here goes:

TURN - You turn a smooth bone ring pierced by tiny crystal shards over in your hand, the shape of it warping and twisting before your eyes. A pulling sensation, somewhere behind your eyes, causes a wave of nausea to overtake you and your vision swims. Bile fills your mouth, and you gulp for air. The moment is brief, thankfully, and as your vision finally clears you see a smooth bone bracelet pierced by tiny crystal shards in your hand.

WEAR BRACELET - Sending sharp needles through the entire length of your hand, you feel the burn of a smooth bone bracelet pierced by tiny crystal shards necrotic energy as it slips over your hand to settle on your wrist.

LOOK Player - Split like the skin of an overripe piece of fruit, her (complexion) flesh parts beneath the touch of a smooth bone bracelet pierced by tiny crystal shards. Blackened and slightly shriveled, her hand resembles the dried out husk of something that has been mummified.

REMOVE BRACELET - You lift a smooth bone bracelet pierced by tiny crystal shards off of the bones of your wrist and feel nauseous as the pain of removing the device nearly blinds you.

TURN - You turn a smooth bone bracelet pierced by tiny crystal shards over in your hand, the shape of it warping and twisting before your eyes. A pulling sensation, somewhere behind your eyes, causes a wave of nausea to overtake you and your vision swims. Bile fills your mouth, and you gulp for air. The moment is brief, thankfully, and as your vision finally clears you see a smooth bone necklace pierced by tiny crystal shards in your hand.

WEAR NECKLACE - You carefully link a smooth bone necklace pierced by tiny crystal shards around your neck by its simple chain. Instantly, a choking sensation alerts you the pain of its pendant melting into the hollow of your neck.

LOOK Player - Whistling wetly, her flesh is rotted and raw around a smooth bone necklace pierced by tiny crystal shards which has exposed holes in her trachea.

REMOVE NECKLACE - Waves of pain seem to tempt you to leave a smooth bone necklace pierced by tiny crystal shards where it rests, but you power through it and pull the pendant from the flesh at the follow of your neck.

TURN - You turn a smooth bone necklace pierced by tiny crystal shards over in your hand, the shape of it warping and twisting before your eyes. A pulling sensation, somewhere behind your eyes, causes a wave of nausea to overtake you and your vision swims. Bile fills your mouth, and you gulp for air. The moment is brief, thankfully, and as your vision finally clears you see a smooth bone earring pierced by tiny crystal shards in your hand.

WEAR EARRING - You carefully attach a smooth bone earring pierced by tiny crystal shards to your ear lobe and are blinded by the sound of a thousand voices yammering in your ear. They promise to eat your flesh. They promise to drink your blood. They promise you will live.

LOOK Player - Clinging bits of tattered flesh hanging off the side of her skull, a smooth bone anklet pierced by tiny crystal shards is coated in a thin layer of dried blood.

REMOVE EARRING - As you remove a smooth bone earring pierced by tiny crystal shards from your ear lobe, you feel a stabbing pain in your ear. Voices whisper to you, a single quiet promise… they will find you.

TURN - You turn a smooth bone earring pierced by tiny crystal shards over in your hand, the shape of it warping and twisting before your eyes. A pulling sensation, somewhere behind your eyes, causes a wave of nausea to overtake you and your vision swims. Bile fills your mouth, and you gulp for air. The moment is brief, thankfully, and as your vision finally clears you see a smooth bone anklet pierced by tiny crystal shards in your hand.

WEAR ANKLET - Searing pain takes hold of your sciatic nerve as you wear a smooth bone anklet pierced by tiny crystal shards, the fiery hot sensation reaching to your hip.

LOOK Player - Her ankle bone is exposed, a fine trail of ichor green pus and blood trickling from an open wound where a smooth bone anklet pierced by tiny crystal shards rests.

REMOVE ANKLET - Prying a smooth bone anklet pierced by tiny crystal shards out of the open wound of your ankle, you feel a familiar jolt of pain traverse your sciatic nerve.

~*~ Thandiwe ~*~
ASGM of Events
Re: Arena of the Abyss Updates 10/24/2020 02:19 PM CDT
http://forums.play.net/forums/GemStone%20IV/Paid%20Events:%20Adventures,%20Quests,%20and%20SimuCoins/Ebon%20Gate%20Festival/view/17656

The Unstable Manifestation, Lich's Curse, and Voln's Blessing unlocks are now available from purchase from the lithe dark-skinned abyran'ra at the Arena of the Abyss entrance. Just ASK it. It should now also be able to trigger from multiple group members. Enjoy!

GameMaster Estild
Re: Arena of the Abyss Updates 10/24/2020 05:46 PM CDT
Hello, I would like to request the following adjustments to the purchasable upgrades for necrotic rings:

Lich's Curse: Base 10% trigger on initial purchase
Voln's Blessing: Base 10% trigger on initial purchase

Re: Arena of the Abyss Updates 10/24/2020 05:56 PM CDT
>Hello, I would like to request the following adjustments to the purchasable upgrades for necrotic rings:

The GMs do what the GMs do but I think it's entirely appropriate as is. I'll be upgrading my rings to 50% on at least the Lich's Curse, and maybe the other. Sure it's cheaper for me if I got 9% of that for free-but I don't think it's necessary.
Re: Arena of the Abyss Updates 11/20/2020 09:58 AM CST
I've noticed that the boss critters that spawn from the necrotic ring sometimes award less than the full amount of LTE per kill. This appears to happen when my group kills the critter before I can get a hit in. This would be less of an issue if that LTE was awarded to someone else, but it isn't. No one else in the group earns LTE from boss creatures spawned from necrotic rings, which means that a good portion of that LTE is just going to waste. With the amount of time required running Arena of the Abyss to harvest enough necrotic ring charges for the LTE goals I had in mind, it would be a shame to see that LTE go to waste. Could someone look into whether this is working as intended?

>[You have been awarded 17 Long Term Experience!]
>[You have been awarded 16 Long Term Experience!]
>[You have been awarded 53 Long Term Experience!]
>[You have been awarded 45 Long Term Experience!]
Re: Arena of the Abyss Updates 11/21/2020 12:13 PM CST
There's another perhaps unintended consequence of these necrotic rings that should be mentioned: they now can introduce capped-level undead creatures into areas that low-level folks frequently travel through. For example, while hunting bandits today between the Landing and Solhaven, the ring spawned a few spectral bandits. Why is this a problem? The sheer fear mechanic.

This can be a huge annoyance to low-level folks simply traveling between the Landing and Solhaven. Perhaps it's time to revisit sheer fear?
Re: Arena of the Abyss Updates 11/23/2020 10:28 AM CST
I tried out my necrotic ring on a krolvin pirate ship that I encountered while doing Open Sea Adventures. The necro ring successfully spawned two spectral boss critters, and neither granted LTE before I disabled the necrotic ring.
Re: Arena of the Abyss Updates 12/09/2020 12:19 PM CST
Necrotic jewelry has been updated with ANALYZE information to detail all of its specifics and methods to enable/disable various functions.

GameMaster Estild
Re: Arena of the Abyss Updates 12/09/2020 12:30 PM CST

voln's blessing doesn't work ( tested for over an hour of non stop hunting at 8 %percent change and another person tested with 50% )

use often enough to get 50k plus LTE & another person got enough for 200k LTE

seems silly paying for upgrades & charges for something that doesn't work
Re: Arena of the Abyss Updates 12/09/2020 12:36 PM CST
NEIMANZ
voln's blessing doesn't work ( tested for over an hour of non stop hunting at 8 %percent change and another person tested with 50% )

http://forums.play.net/forums/GemStone%20IV/General%20GemStone%20IV%20Discussion/Items%20and%20Inventory/view/3881

GameMaster Estild
Re: Arena of the Abyss Updates 12/09/2020 01:41 PM CST
Estild, thanks for the update on these. The information on analyze is very helpful. I'd posted a while back on this but was hoping if I could get your feedback on whether a certain situation is working as intended.

If my necrotic ring spawns a boss creature, but my group kills it before I can get a hit in, I would get rewarded with only very small amounts of experience. The amounts vary, but I've seen in the low teens, 20-somethings, 30-somethings, etc. It would be great if I could get the full LTE even if I'm not quick enough to get in a hit before my group kills it, and alternatively, it would make more sense if the rest of the exp was split among the group, but that isn't the case either. Is this working as intended?
Re: Arena of the Abyss Updates 11/01/2021 06:48 PM CDT
I am noticing the same issue as Gillien, but in my case I am even seeing the issue in cases where my group does not touch the boss. See below.

You swing a twisted urglaes skull-crusher at a human robber!
AS: +788 vs DS: +305 with AvD: +44 + d100 roll: +15 = +542
... and hit for 192 points of damage!
Strike pierces temple and kills foe instantly!
Excruciating pain causes a visceral reaction as the smooth bone necklace within the hollow of your throat is awakened! Necrotic energy, in the form of an ichor green haze, trickles from your necklace and encircles a human robber, strangling its lifeless remains until a spectral human robber is squeezed into existence!
The human robber rolls over and dies.
Roundtime: 6 sec.

ambush robber
You swing a twisted urglaes skull-crusher at a spectral human robber!
Your urglaes skull-crusher glows brightly for a moment, consuming the magical energies around the human robber!
[SMR result: 117 (Open d100: 14, Bonus: 15)]
... 15 points of damage!
Hit passes right through the midsection.
Nothing hurts like an empty stomach.
The human robber is stunned!
AS: +818 vs DS: +395 with AvD: +44 + d100 roll: +58 = +525
... and hit for 176 points of damage!
The human robber's head wavers as your attack passes right through it!
You lose your focus on a spectral human robber's critical weaknesses.
You feel the unnatural surge of necrotic power wane away.
You swing a warped xazkruvrixis spikestar at a spectral human robber!
AS: +720 vs DS: +371 with AvD: +45 + d100 roll: +98 = +492
... and hit for 187 points of damage!
The human robber's head is split cleanly in two, but reseals from the neck up!
You hear a sound like a child weeping as a white glow separates itself from the human robber's body and rises into the heavens.
The human robber falls to the ground and dies.
Necrotic energy from your xazkruvrixis spikestar overflows into you!
You feel energized!
Roundtime: 7 sec.
Aranthius searches a spectral human robber.
A spectral human robber decays into compost.
[You have been awarded 30 Long Term Experience!]