Re: Droughtman's Maze Challenge - Holiday Run: Prize List Update 12/08/2013 10:37 AM CST
>>To whom is this directed? Me? Because I have not asked for a do-over and I have not asked for a special ticket and I certainly have not threatened to quit the game over this issue. So I am not sure where you're getting that.

This is directed at no one specifically but a general response to what I've seen in-game and in this thread. If it had been meant specifically for you, I assure you I'd have directed it to you.

>>I did and do believe an official response is both necessary and appropriate. There's no need for you to WK for Simu. You're right that I didn't get what I wanted, which was a fair opportunity to attempt to get a ticket to this event. But I'm not demanding special treatment or making threats or even being particularly unreasonable, unless you happen to think that expecting a company to address something that affected its customers in a timely manner is unreasonable.

>>There's no need for you to WK for Simu.

Clearly, when I don't agree with the sense of entitlement some of the player base has it means I WK for Simu.

Now let's address your claims...

Gemstone has -always- been fairly casual in its responses but here Wyrom is explaining the workaround to the issue... Not the best response, but given that he can't do anything about it its nice that he explains a way to deal with it going forward.

>>>The "get your ticket" link on the quest page didn't work, you had to click on the title at the top while the space where the "get your ticket" link should be said "Tickets for this event are unavailable for purchase at this time."

>>That link seems to take time to forward properly, as it has for a long time (well before I was even a GameHost in 2007, as I recall people talking about this at the EG 2006 auction). It's always best to click the title or image to get to the ticket area. You can always see the details of the tickets as well before tickets go on sale.

Oh and here he's doing what any customer service rep would do, explaining he's forwarded the issue to the proper channels to see if it can get fixed. I don't see what else is required here, a formal apology?

>>I deal with customer service in my "real job" every day. I am well-acquainted with what constitutes good CS. Good CS is not seeing posts about what other players acknowledge is a "known problem" and then not responding to those posts.

He did. Perhaps not they way -you- would like, but he pretty much went by the book.
Re: Droughtman's Maze Challenge - Holiday Run: Prize List Update 12/08/2013 10:58 AM CST

<<That link seems to take time to forward properly, as it has for a long time (well before I was even a GameHost in 2007, as I recall people talking about this at the EG 2006 auction). It's always best to click the title or image to get to the ticket area. You can always see the details of the tickets as well before tickets go on sale. - Wyrom, apparently>>

As I said, I did not see this post.

<<Oh and here he's doing what any customer service rep would do, explaining he's forwarded the issue to the proper channels to see if it can get fixed. I don't see what else is required here, a formal apology? - Jhynnifer>>

No, that's not what he said. He said, "The link takes time to forward", which is an acknowledgement of the problem. He said, "it's best to click another area," which is apparently advice for people going forward and a tacit acknowledgement that this problem may not be addressed. He said, "you can see the details of the tickets well before they go on sale," which is a statement of fact ... assuming you know where to click. Nowhere does he say, "I'm going to look into this" or "I'm going to forward this to Simu-Whomever so they can address the issue because this shouldn't happen again", so either you're reading it wrong, interpreting it wrong, or you didn't do a full quote of everything he said.

<<He did. Perhaps not they way -you- would like, but he pretty much went by the book.>>

We will have to agree to disagree for two reasons: first, because your interpretation of his words isn't what he actually said; and second, because I don't think that that response is in any way "by the book."

And I just want to say - my ire isn't directed at Wyrom but at Simu as a whole. Wyrom's the only GM responding to this issue in this thread and that is laudable. And he helped me out immeasurably during RTCF when I mistakenly bought a major ticket that I didn't intend to buy, so I think he is a great guy and he has my gratitude for his excellent customer service in that regard. So the ONLY reason I am discussing Wyrom in this depth is because you are saying he said one thing when, in fact, he did not say it. I also don't think his response was acceptable, but that is apparently a subjective issue and I don't need to rehash my thoughts on that.
Re: Droughtman's Maze Challenge - Holiday Run: Prize List Update 12/08/2013 11:09 AM CST
>>No, that's not what he said.

My apologies, I left out another quote from another post where he did express it was being looked into.

>>>The issue is being looked into to see if there is anything we can do about getting the one link to open up on time with the other two links.

I'm not sure why you're railing the issue given all the facts, or claiming poor customer service, when I've been responding as best as I can.

So what you're saying, if I have this right is you didn't see his post where he explained a way to go about it without dealing with that particular bug and you also didn't see his post I just C&P'd (and forgot to earlier)?
Re: Droughtman's Maze Challenge - Holiday Run: Prize List Update 12/08/2013 11:17 AM CST

<<So what you're saying, if I have this right is you didn't see his post where he explained a way to go about it without dealing with that particular bug and you also didn't see his post I just C&P'd (and forgot to earlier)? >>

He made two posts. The first one - the original post that you quoted - I did not see. And that post did not say anything about him looking into the issue or otherwise acknowledging that players were upset. It just had some general commentary about the issue, which I do not believe is sufficient when he's representing the game and there are disgruntled customers.

The second post was made yesterday, in direct response to my statement that there had been no official recognition of the fact that there was a problem. So yes, Wyrom did indeed say that he was looking into the problem, however he did not say it until after I said, "Why hasn't anyone addressed the fact that players are unhappy with what's acknowledged to be a well-known bug?"

What I expect from good CS is a company representative to acknowledge the problem, indicate remorse or at least sympathy that the problem exists, indicate that they are going to try to take care of the problem, and a promise to follow up either way. That simply didn't happen here. So I am unhappy with the fact that I couldn't attempt to buy a ticket because the website didn't update. I'm even more unhappy with the seeming lack of official response and that's NOT a knock on Wyrom so much as it is a knock on Simu. I've played this game for a long time, since 1996, and I am well aware of Simu's generally terrible CS. That doesn't mean I'm just going to accept that the CS is always going to be terrible; I will continue to expect good CS for as long as I am a player.
Re: Droughtman's Maze Challenge - Holiday Run: Prize List Update 12/08/2013 11:22 AM CST

No matter how many times you try to argue back and forth, not matter how many POINTS you try to make, not matter how many times you try to ignore the baseline facts, they will not go away just because you want them to, and want to be right. The baseline facts are that NOT EVERYONE KNEW ABOUT THE BUG, in fact, MOST people didn't know about the bug. Saying it's been around for years, means NOTHING, saying that it's happens at most of the previous big ticket events, means NOTHING. Most people haven't gone to a big ticket event, most people haven't run into this problem before, most people haven't read previous bit ticket event forums. PERIOD There was NO reason for anyone, sitting there, refreshing the page, where it said there are no tickets available, to look anywhere else for tickets. This was extremely unfair for the majority of people trying to buy tickets. The other fact so many of you are trying to ignore, is that the site has a bug. . . it IS a mistake. . . no matter how long it's been there, no matter how often they point out the mistake AFTER the fact, no matter how many times they say their sorry for it, AFTER tickets have been sold out, and so many people didn't even get a CHANCE to buy tickts. This is a SIMU mistake, that they have not corrected for years, it was not made common knowledge before the tickets went for sale. They have caused anger by choosing not to fix, or announce this bug, so that it didn't effect people. They should find some way to compensate for THEIR mistakes.
Re: Droughtman's Maze Challenge - Holiday Run: Prize List Update 12/08/2013 11:26 AM CST
>>1. Clicking on the title of a listing is the most common method of navigation on the Internet.

This is true when the listing does not have subsets of links beneath it as has been established for Gemstone events - More Information, Get your ticket, and Event Guidelines. As someone who has been on the internet, has worked for multiple internet sales and ISPs, and generally has no issue with this sort of thing I can state that the bug did stop me from getting to the correct page when the RtCF event 1, batch 1 was released. The title as it is now looks nothing like something that I would normally think to click on to get somewhere further.

>>2. """But Wyrom it said "Get your tickets - Available 12/19/13 9PM EST" but that message never changed, it still said they will be available at 9PM so I thought you were running late and no one came to hold my hand and I just kept refreshing but it kept saying 9PM even at 9:05 and I didn't get a ticket and you should make an extra run just for me."""

I didn't state to just have it be a message, what I stated was to use the "Get your tickets" link followed by the message of when they are available. That way, at the worst, when the correct time hit someone would click the link and actually be able to proceed forward through a direct path. The link itself would be able to be active just like the title and image links currently operate.

Having the date and time both here and on the next page would not prove harmful.
Re: Droughtman's Maze Challenge - Holiday Run: Prize List Update 12/08/2013 11:30 AM CST
I give up. What does WK stand for in this context?

SGM Sleken
Re: Droughtman's Maze Challenge - Holiday Run: Prize List Update 12/08/2013 11:33 AM CST
>>I give up. What does WK stand for in this context?

White Knight
Re: Droughtman's Maze Challenge - Holiday Run: Prize List Update 12/08/2013 11:34 AM CST
I'm guessing 'white knight'.

-Richard/Fjalar.
Re: Droughtman's Maze Challenge - Holiday Run: Prize List Update 12/08/2013 12:05 PM CST
>>I brought it up because I didn't see a post from you or any other GM saying that you're looking into it. Maybe I missed it, but all I recall seeing is people complaining and no official commentary of any kind. And I'm not blaming you for a bug that exists, by the way; I was commenting on the perception that Simu doesn't care about things that affect its longtime players, which sometimes seems to be the case.

Most people who were upset on the forums, also were reporting in game, and I sent a message to each one of them. I'm an offsite GM, there isn't a whole lot we can do for website issues. I've reported the issue with details to those that can take a look. I did mention it here on the forums. I wouldn't call it a bug or a secret. It's been like that probably longer than I've said. For some reason, that link has always been delayed at forwarding properly. If we can't sync them, I'm going to have to agree with Virilneus that maybe ditching the one link entirely might be the best solution.

GMs represent Simu on the forums, so most times when you blast Simu, you're blasting us. I don't think the past year has been bad for customer service on the forums. I think open communication and support has been pretty high. I understand that many people get frustrated and want to say we're being poor with customer service, or bring up something from the past. But maybe moving forward, we can stop using the past situations against GMs who are currently active. I don't think it's entirely fair that the current crop of GMs are atoning where others have failed. Maybe just see that we're trying pretty hard to steer things back in the right direction. Let's try to keep morale at a high.

I get it though. I get some people missed out on a ticket who were excited for the event. If the captcha wasn't in place, I'm sure we'd have heard it even louder when they sold out in under a minute. I also know that cool loot is a very big carrot for some of you. I hope that we can deliver a better event year in 2014. Trust me when I say this. I've used 2013 as a big learning experience.

And if you didn't get a ticket to DMC, we still are putting together a small thank you for everyone who comes out and wishes to grab a souvenir for the holidays.

~Wyrom, SGM
Premium
Platinum
Promotions
Re: Droughtman's Maze Challenge - Holiday Run: Prize List Update 12/08/2013 12:11 PM CST

<<<<<I hope that we can deliver a better event year in 2014. Trust me when I say this.

I want an auction... a alter fest fest, more Dm runs, the Wavedancer to rise from the depths, and a pony.

I want a darn pony!!!

Seriously though, I can't wait to see the events this year coming.
Re: Droughtman's Maze Challenge - Holiday Run: Prize List Update 12/08/2013 12:51 PM CST

I agree with Wyrom on most of what he has said, but when the website says tickets are not available at this time, while tickets are being sold. . . That's a bug, no matter how long it's been there. Posting about this bug in the forums is not an acceptable solution. Posting it in the announcements before the sale of big ticket items, or in the big ticket announcements themselves is a solution, fixing the BUG before tickets go on sale, is a solution. Something simple at the top of the announcement like. . . "Remember, the tickets for this event could go fast due to there being a limited number of tickets, it's suggested going right to the ticket sale page, and refreshing until they are available, by clicking the title of the event, or the event icon. Good luck!". . . . After all the years this has been a problem, no one ever considered to put something simple like that?
Re: Droughtman's Maze Challenge - Holiday Run: Prize List Update 12/08/2013 12:54 PM CST

If that type of simple consideration for the players that did not know about this bug, which I'm pretty sure is most of us, had happened, I would still be playing.
Re: Droughtman's Maze Challenge - Holiday Run: Prize List Update 12/08/2013 01:32 PM CST

>No matter how many times you try to argue back and forth, not matter how many POINTS you try to make, not matter how many times you try to ignore the baseline facts, they will not go away just because you want them to, and want to be right. The baseline facts are that NOT EVERYONE KNEW ABOUT THE BUG, in fact, MOST people didn't know about the bug. Saying it's been around for years, means NOTHING, saying that it's happens at most of the previous big ticket events, means NOTHING. Most people haven't gone to a big ticket event, most people haven't run into this problem before, most people haven't read previous bit ticket event forums. PERIOD There was NO reason for anyone, sitting there, refreshing the page, where it said there are no tickets available, to look anywhere else for tickets. This was extremely unfair for the majority of people trying to buy tickets. The other fact so many of you are trying to ignore, is that the site has a bug. . . it IS a mistake. . . no matter how long it's been there, no matter how often they point out the mistake AFTER the fact, no matter how many times they say their sorry for it, AFTER tickets have been sold out, and so many people didn't even get a CHANCE to buy tickts. This is a SIMU mistake, that they have not corrected for years, it was not made common knowledge before the tickets went for sale. They have caused anger by choosing not to fix, or announce this bug, so that it didn't effect people. They should find some way to compensate for THEIR mistakes.

And no matter how many times you insist it is a bug and you were powerless before it. If this event was that important to you, and it seems like it was, you should take a little responsibility for preparing yourself to purchase tickets.

I go to every pay event, and yet even so before RTCF do you know what I did? I almost got married. (dodged a bullet!) I went through all the steps except the final confirmation to buy a wedding package to make sure I had the box office process figured out and would be as fast as possible. No one told me to do this, no one posted this advice as I am doing now (and did in the ensuing arguments post the RTCF releases). I took it as my own responsibility to make sure I was prepared.

I know my reputation as a Simu cheerleader who never complains or criticizes them about anything might lead you to disregard my remarks, but I merely call it as I see it. In this case, I would attribute most of the fault to the players.
Re: Droughtman's Maze Challenge - Holiday Run: Prize List Update 12/08/2013 01:32 PM CST

>I didn't state to just have it be a message, what I stated was to use the "Get your tickets" link followed by the message of when they are available. That way, at the worst, when the correct time hit someone would click the link and actually be able to proceed forward through a direct path. The link itself would be able to be active just like the title and image links currently operate.

Except their current problem is the inability to change that text instantaneously when the tickets open. So your solution is not in fact a solution. They need either no text, or text that does not need to be changed. I'm willing to bet the problem is either that the boxoffice page is cached, or it isn't database driven and the text is done manually. In this case, deleting or editing text would be a simple solution, adding a bunch of nested database calls to the script generating the page is, while not difficult, more complex programming which will take more time and wait for the one guy who does that work for them to have a free moment etc etc etc. Nevermind performance issues with all those database calls if people do in fact refresh that page repeatedly instead of the deeper page.

But I stand by the point that if you can't figure out to click on the title of something to get to more information about it, then I'm not sure you're able to be helped.
Re: Droughtman's Maze Challenge - Holiday Run: Prize List Update 12/08/2013 01:33 PM CST

>I'm going to have to agree with Virilneus
-Wyrom

Always a good decision, welcome to the dark side. We have the best desserts.
Re: Droughtman's Maze Challenge - Holiday Run: Prize List Update 12/08/2013 02:00 PM CST

>And no matter how many times you insist it is a bug and you were powerless before it. If this event was that important to you, and it seems like it was, you should take a little responsibility for preparing yourself to purchase tickets.

When the website says there are no tickets available, and they are selling tickets, it's a bug. . . The event it's self, was like any other event, I wanted a chance to get a ticket just like everyone else, I was denied that chance, like MANY others, due to this bug. I was as prepared as anyone should have been, I was ready to quickly click on the link to make a purchase.

>I go to every pay event, and yet even so before RTCF do you know what I did? I almost got married. (dodged a bullet!) I went through all the steps except the final confirmation to buy a wedding package to make sure I had the box office process figured out and would be as fast as possible. No one told me to do this, no one posted this advice as I am doing now (and did in the ensuing arguments post the RTCF releases). I took it as my own responsibility to make sure I was prepared.

What events you've gone to is COMPLETELY irrelevant. The steps you took to get married, have nothing to do with this bug, that was not announced, even though it was known, and it's NOT common knowledge.

>I know my reputation as a Simu cheerleader who never complains or criticizes them about anything might lead you to disregard my remarks, but I merely call it as I see it. In this case, I would attribute most of the fault to the players.

Your TOTALLY opinionated argument helps no one. Just because you FEEL others should have done this, or done that, because you did this, and did that, matters to no one. People were screwed out of the chance to get a ticket due to a site BUG, that should have been fixed LONG ago, or announced before each big ticket event, no matter how you FEEL. Opinion based arguments have no value in a fact based argument, especially when they disregard all the facts that completely go against their argument.
Re: Droughtman's Maze Challenge - Holiday Run: Prize List Update 12/08/2013 02:03 PM CST
>>Opinion based arguments have no value in a fact based argument

Unless you have the requirements document for the website, your argument that it is a bug is indeed an opinion based argument.
Re: Droughtman's Maze Challenge - Holiday Run: Prize List Update 12/08/2013 02:10 PM CST

>Unless you have the requirements document for the website, your argument that it is a bug is indeed an opinion based argument.

If it makes you feel better, replace the word bug, with error, problem, not right, lie, false. . or many other words/phrases. When the event pages says there are no tickets available at this time, and there are tickets available, it's wrong. That's not an opinion, and there is good reason to believe the person/s who made the site didn't intend for it to be wrong, therefor there is plenty of evidence/facts, pointing towards it being a bug. Again, if you don't like that word, because you don't see the website "documents", then use a different word for it.
Re: Droughtman's Maze Challenge - Holiday Run: Prize List Update 12/08/2013 02:35 PM CST
I've played for a long time and I've been to a lot of events. I will say I don't remember the bug, maybe it's because I always test links for limited tickets and play around with it beforehand and have always managed. This time, had it not been for Sagoth I might not have gotten my ticket. He told me to click the D when I asked him. I came directly home from work and had a downed router and got on late.

As far as customer service, Wyrom I think gives excellent customer service. He isn't arrogant, he seems to really care about his job and the people playing the game. Although perhaps a sign up fiasco without a security check, even RTCF showed he really tried to allow everyone, not just premium, a chance at tickets. Bashing him is not bashing Simu. He does not own the website and it is not his responsibility. Writing feedback would probably be a better solution.

Perhaps next time they should have the words "click the title of the event for tickets" instead of no tickets available. Nothing is ever perfect, and I am sorry so many were waiting and never even got a chance. Simu needs to fix their antiquated website, that isn't Wyrom's job.

Velvette
Re: Droughtman's Maze Challenge - Holiday Run: Prize List Update 12/08/2013 02:43 PM CST

>If it makes you feel better, replace the word bug, with error, problem, not right, lie, false. . or many other words/phrases. When the event pages says there are no tickets available at this time, and there are tickets available, it's wrong. That's not an opinion, and there is good reason to believe the person/s who made the site didn't intend for it to be wrong, therefor there is plenty of evidence/facts, pointing towards it being a bug. Again, if you don't like that word, because you don't see the website "documents", then use a different word for it.

Is it so hard to fathom that different notifications might not be updated at the same time? Simutronics told you tickets would go on sale at 9, they went on sale at 9. That one of the signs on the website was not updated precisely at 9 did not change anything.

You're essentially complaining because you show up at 5:01 and a business is closed, their hours say they're closed, but the manager hasn't yet flipped the little sign in the window yet to say it is closed vs open and you demand a free hamburger.

That isn't a bug, its a delay.

Could Simu put a disclaimer at the top that says "Information on this page should not be considered up to the minute accurate, if you're refreshing this page trying to wait for ticket sales to open for any event you're doing it wrong."

Sure, but that doesn't remove your responsibility in the situation, if you don't utilize the available resources and make sure you understand fully how to do what you want to do, you're not entitled in a ticket merely by virtue of sitting at your keyboard at the appropriate time.

Consider it a learning experience, or a puzzle if you must. If Simu did an impromptu droughtman in game and announced it and said portals are available in each town, only once you entered the portal (which would be instanced) you can't find the way to the game, all you find are deadends, you get lost. Later you're told the correct entrance was a puzzle and you weren't one of the chosen few who found it. What then? Same reaction?

Maybe the ability to buy a ticket was secretly planned to be difficult as the first stage in the droughtman competition. How diabolical! The ability to enter the tournament is in fact the first stage of the tournament.
Re: Droughtman's Maze Challenge - Holiday Run: Prize List Update 12/08/2013 02:49 PM CST
>>What I expect from good CS is a company representative to acknowledge the problem, indicate remorse or at least sympathy that the problem exists, indicate that they are going to try to take care of the problem, and a promise to follow up either way. That simply didn't happen here. So I am unhappy with the fact that I couldn't attempt to buy a ticket because the website didn't update. I'm even more unhappy with the seeming lack of official response and that's NOT a knock on Wyrom so much as it is a knock on Simu. I've played this game for a long time, since 1996, and I am well aware of Simu's generally terrible CS. That doesn't mean I'm just going to accept that the CS is always going to be terrible; I will continue to expect good CS for as long as I am a player.

So basically he did everything but offer you sympathy or remorse because of the issue. Looks like he hit most of your requirements for good CS. Clearly, in the future Wyrom you need to apologize for everything. Do remember that.

>>No matter how many times you try to argue back and forth, not matter how many POINTS you try to make, not matter how many times you try to ignore the baseline facts, they will not go away just because you want them to, and want to be right. The baseline facts are that NOT EVERYONE KNEW ABOUT THE BUG, in fact, MOST people didn't know about the bug. Saying it's been around for years, means NOTHING, saying that it's happens at most of the previous big ticket events, means NOTHING. Most people haven't gone to a big ticket event, most people haven't run into this problem before, most people haven't read previous bit ticket event forums. PERIOD There was NO reason for anyone, sitting there, refreshing the page, where it said there are no tickets available, to look anywhere else for tickets. This was extremely unfair for the majority of people trying to buy tickets. The other fact so many of you are trying to ignore, is that the site has a bug. . . it IS a mistake. . . no matter how long it's been there, no matter how often they point out the mistake AFTER the fact, no matter how many times they say their sorry for it, AFTER tickets have been sold out, and so many people didn't even get a CHANCE to buy tickts. This is a SIMU mistake, that they have not corrected for years, it was not made common knowledge before the tickets went for sale. They have caused anger by choosing not to fix, or announce this bug, so that it didn't effect people. They should find some way to compensate for THEIR mistakes.

Why should they compensate for their mistake? While it caused some confusion clearly at least 100 people managed to overcome this obstacle that you didn't. Are you kidding about no reason people should look anywhere else? Why, for ANY reason, would someone not be at the SIGN UP NOW page to buy their tickets when the time hit? Claim a little responsibility yourself here. Hell, I was even overcautious because I remember how quickly RCTF tickets sold. I kept three browsers open to the SIGN UP page of each of the runs I wanted to join so when the time came I could tab between and catch the one that was still open. That's called preparation.

>>After all the years this has been a problem, no one ever considered to put something simple like that?
Show me the threads (aside from Wyrom's own post about a discussion over it in 2006) where its been discussed as an issue.

>>I've played for a long time and I've been to a lot of events. I will say I don't remember the bug, maybe it's because I always test links for limited tickets and play around with it beforehand and have always managed. This time, had it not been for Sagoth I might not have gotten my ticket. He told me to click the D when I asked him. I came directly home from work and had a downed router and got on late.

This. She tests links prior to ticket sales. She also talks to people. She IMed me as well and we talked a bit about the captcha and our frenzy clicking of pictures and going "wait what?"

If you want to be angry you didn't get a ticket, I understand that. Its frustrating when you don't get what you want.
Re: Droughtman's Maze Challenge - Holiday Run: Prize List Update 12/08/2013 02:58 PM CST

>Is it so hard to fathom that different notifications might not be updated at the same time? Simutronics told you tickets would go on sale at 9, they went on sale at 9. That one of the signs on the website was not updated precisely at 9 did not change anything.

It's not just one of the links, it's the main link, directly off the events page. There was no reason to believe it would have been delayed, or that there is another way to get to the ticket purchasing page. . .

><You're essentially complaining because you show up at 5:01 and a business is closed, their hours say they're closed, but the manager hasn't yet flipped the little sign in the window yet to say it is closed vs open and you demand a free hamburger.

You don't know what you are talking about, at all. I was there all day, and started refreshing the page often, a hour before the were even supposed to go on sale, and started refreshing it every few seconds at least 3 minutes before 9pm. This isn't a business, this isn't a sign that needs to be flipped, this is an electronic link, that has the ability, and responsibility to show up on time. Again, if they don't want to fix it, they could have posted the problem in the announcement for the event, and they way around it.

>That isn't a bug, its a delay.

For about the third or fourth time, when a page (the main event page), says there are no tickets available, and there are tickets available, it's a bug/lie/false/problem/ whatever you want to call it. . .

>Could Simu put a disclaimer at the top that says "Information on this page should not be considered up to the minute accurate, if you're refreshing this page trying to wait for ticket sales to open for any event you're doing it wrong."

That disclaimer wouldn't be necessary if the links updated on time, nor would it be helpful.

>Sure, but that doesn't remove your responsibility in the situation, if you don't utilize the available resources and make sure you understand fully how to do what you want to do, you're not entitled in a ticket merely by virtue of sitting at your keyboard at the appropriate time.

There was no reason for us to even consider that we were not prepared. A link shows up at the bottom of the event when tickets are on sale, that link did not show, on top of that link not showing, it clearly stated that tickets were not available for sale. There was no reason to search for a way around that link, or to even think there was a way around that link what so ever.

>Consider it a learning experience, or a puzzle if you must. If Simu did an impromptu droughtman in game and announced it and said portals are available in each town, only once you entered the portal (which would be instanced) you can't find the way to the game, all you find are deadends, you get lost. Later you're told the correct entrance was a puzzle and you weren't one of the chosen few who found it. What then? Same reaction?

This whole paragraph was a waste of everyone's time that had the unfortunate experience of reading it. It gave no information, helped no one, and had nothing to do with the problem people have been complaining about. Buying tickets to events is not comparable to puzzles/quests/events in any way. Trying to compare the two is totally ignorant.

Re: Droughtman's Maze Challenge - Holiday Run: Prize List Update 12/08/2013 02:58 PM CST
>>You're essentially complaining because you show up at 5:01 and a business is closed, their hours say they're closed, but the manager hasn't yet flipped the little sign in the window yet to say it is closed vs open and you demand a free hamburger.

I think a better analogy to this would be having a store open with limited doorbuster sales at 9:00pm. Signage and everything is on the front door of the building, hours are there, but the door remains locked and the closed sign stays up as the clock strikes 9. No employees show up to open the door and let the rush of customers through because they are over at a side entrance opening those doors up first. Eventually the workers figure that they'll get to the front door but by the time they do all the limited items are gone. Would the customers who waited at that front entrance and were unaware of a side entrance have something legitimate to complain about? I would say so.
Re: Droughtman's Maze Challenge - Holiday Run: Prize List Update 12/08/2013 03:08 PM CST

>Why should they compensate for their mistake? While it caused some confusion clearly at least 100 people managed to overcome this obstacle that you didn't. Are you kidding about no reason people should look anywhere else? Why, for ANY reason, would someone not be at the SIGN UP NOW page to buy their tickets when the time hit? Claim a little responsibility yourself here. Hell, I was even overcautious because I remember how quickly RCTF tickets sold. I kept three browsers open to the SIGN UP page of each of the runs I wanted to join so when the time came I could tab between and catch the one that was still open. That's called preparation.

100 made it through. I have very little doubt that 90% of those 100 people knew about, or had run into the bug before, the other 10 people had herd about the bug in the nick of time from a friend. I've explained why people had no reason to think they were in the wrong spot, you either don't read, or just don't pay attention. I have no responsibility in a site bug causing me, and many others, to not even get a crack at a ticket. Your overcautionsness, and RtCF runs have nothing to do with this situation, at all. It doesn't matter what you did, or how YOU prepared. More opinionated arguments that totally ignore the facts of the problem.

>Show me the threads (aside from Wyrom's own post about a discussion over it in 2006) where its been discussed as an issue.

He stated this has been an issue SINCE at least 2006. He did not say there was in issue in 2006. Know what you are arguing about before you argue.

>>You're essentially complaining because you show up at 5:01 and a business is closed, their hours say they're closed, but the manager hasn't yet flipped the little sign in the window yet to say it is closed vs open and you demand a free hamburger.

>I think a better analogy to this would be having a store open with limited doorbuster sales at 9:00pm. Signage and everything is on the front door of the building, hours are there, but the door remains locked and the closed sign stays up as the clock strikes 9. No employees show up to open the door and let the rush of customers through because they are over at a side entrance opening those doors up first. Eventually the workers figure that they'll get to the front door but by the time they do all the limited items are gone. Would the customers who waited at that front entrance and were unaware of a side entrance have something legitimate to complain about? I would say so.

Much better analogy.
Re: Droughtman's Maze Challenge - Holiday Run: Prize List Update 12/08/2013 03:26 PM CST

I think Ryvicke should be asked to post a How-to guide before the next limited ticketed event. This thread reminded me of the same confusion at RtCF.

http://forum.gsplayers.com/showthread.php?81602-How-to-get-a-ticket-to-RtCF

Granted, this was more about how to quickly get a ticket, he didn't actually have the screenshots for steps 1 and 2 of how to get to the signup page.

Lochiven

PS Don't click if you are offended by references to Abrahamic religions or freedom.
Re: Droughtman's Maze Challenge - Holiday Run: Prize List Update 12/08/2013 04:07 PM CST
>Perhaps next time they should have the words "click the title of the event for tickets" instead of no tickets available. Nothing is ever perfect, and I am sorry so many were waiting and never even got a chance. Simu needs to fix their antiquated website, that isn't Wyrom's job.

that is why I said someone from corporate should address the issue. I know Wyrom is off-site, but if he wants to insist that his actions are Simu's actions and criticisms against Simu are criticisms of his work, then so be it. It doesn't mean that progress wasn't made with the picture confirmations in the sign up process. Perhaps there are more new players or players that don't sign up for every event than others thought. And yes, I did get a ticket because I did click around, but that doesn't excuse the fact that the website is awful. Perhaps some of the Dragons of Elanthia cash should go into upgrading the website, and the message boards while they're at it.

>Can we be done with this and talk about something useful like more spoilers? I'm not sure why your still fighting this Jon, you won't even be here come Monday.

wow that's rude.
Re: Droughtman's Maze Challenge - Holiday Run: Prize List Update 12/08/2013 05:13 PM CST

<<So basically he did everything but offer you sympathy or remorse because of the issue. Looks like he hit most of your requirements for good CS. Clearly, in the future Wyrom you need to apologize for everything. Do remember that.>>

Maybe you spent too much time on the PC and therefore have forgotten how to craft an argument based on fact, but that is absolutely not what happened. Perhaps a timeline is in order.

12/5/13 9:00pm EST: website doesn't work correctly; I do not get a ticket

12/6/13 12:25am EST: I post saying that I'm unhappy.

12/7/13 1:09pm EST: Wyrom posts saying, "There is no face slot."
12/7/13 1:41pm EST: Wyrom posts saying, "Those take a pin ... worn slot."
12/7/13 9:11pm EST: Wyrom posts saying, "This mask isn't a helm..."
12/7/13 9:12pm EST: Wyrom posts saying, "I don't foresee another DMC anytime soon."

12/7/13 10:43pm EST: I post saying, "I can't say I'm surprised, but I am seriously disappointed with the lack of response to what is evidently a known bug that affected multiple players. Hey, Simu, want to know why people say you have terrible customer service and quit the game as a result? Here's an example."

NOTE, PLEASE, the total lack of official response one way or the other to my post. It was only AFTER I posted the second time that this occurred:

12/7/13 10:48pm EST: Wyrom posts saying, "The issue is being looked into to see if there is anything we can do about getting the one link to open up on time with the other two links.

I'm not sure why you're railing the issue given all the facts, or claiming poor customer service, when I've been responding as best as I can."

So, Riend, I did not receive ANY response to my post, which does not hit ANY of my requirements for good CS. It was only after I said, "Hey, I am disappointed by the total lack of Simu's response to this issue" that I got a response from Wyrom. And, as previously discussed, Wyrom's response (which I did not see prior to my initial post), was inadequate for several reasons.

You want to paint me as a whiner? Go right ahead. I'm not a whiner; I am talking about something that obviously needs to be discussed because there is at least one player who quit the game over it. Maybe Simu doesn't care about whether people leave the game. If I was Simu, I sure would.
Re: Droughtman's Maze Challenge - Holiday Run: Prize List Update 12/08/2013 05:36 PM CST

>>After all the years this has been a problem, no one ever considered to put something simple like that?
>>Show me the threads (aside from Wyrom's own post about a discussion over it in 2006) where its been discussed as an issue.
>>>He stated this has been an issue SINCE at least 2006. He did not say there was in issue in 2006. Know what you are arguing about before you argue.

Yes, I'm the one with the comprehension issue here. What I'm saying is that if this was an issue that people have been having for 8 years where are the threads where people are complaining about it. I see this one and one from 2006. So clearly,t his hasn't been a problem for most people.

>>I've explained why people had no reason to think they were in the wrong spot, you either don't read, or just don't pay attention. I have no responsibility in a site bug causing me, and many others, to not even get a crack at a ticket. Your overcautionsness, and RtCF runs have nothing to do with this situation, at all. It doesn't matter what you did, or how YOU prepared. More opinionated arguments that totally ignore the facts of the problem.

Right, because common sense never comes into this. You chose to sit at the Events page. NOT the sign-up page for a ticket, you're telling me that it never occurred to you to figure out how the site actually works prior to buying a ticket? Did you completely miss all of the angst surrounding RTCF?

>>>lots of dates/times/posts..

Looks like you did receive an answer to your post. Yes it was two days later and there could be reasons for that, maybe he didn't want a post until he had actual information to give you. As far as I can see while his customer service here isn't going to win him gold stars and a pat on the head, he hit the points he had to and its acceptable, certainly not poor. We've seen poor CS from Simu in the past and it looks a lot uglier than this. I'm not trying to paint you as a whiner, in fact I agree with your upset with the bug. But all this hoopla and I'm going to quit and the people who are demanding compensation for this... its ridiculous. Things happen, life isn't fair.Its insane that ticket sales are -always- followed by fitty threads of people whining because for whatever reason they don't get one.
Re: Droughtman's Maze Challenge - Holiday Run: Prize List Update 12/08/2013 05:40 PM CST

>You chose to sit at the Events page. NOT the sign-up page for a ticket, you're telling me that it never occurred to you to figure out how the site actually works prior to buying a ticket?

because the link we always took to get to the sign-up page did not exist.
Re: Droughtman's Maze Challenge - Holiday Run: Prize List Update 12/08/2013 06:18 PM CST

>For about the third or fourth time, when a page (the main event page), says there are no tickets available, and there are tickets available, it's a bug/lie/false/problem/ whatever you want to call it. . .

This wasn't the main page for the event. You were at the box office homepage, not the Droughtman event page. That was ultimately the source of your problem.

>There was no reason for us to even consider that we were not prepared. A link shows up at the bottom of the event when tickets are on sale, that link did not show, on top of that link not showing, it clearly stated that tickets were not available for sale. There was no reason to search for a way around that link, or to even think there was a way around that link what so ever.

Well, as Donald Rumsfeld said, it is the unknown unknowns that'll get you, you assumed you had the system down without ever testing your assumption by say... trying to buy a ticket to an event that was already open. What you weren't searching for was a way around the link, that link is entirely superfluous. All you had to do was click the title for the event. This isn't a sneaky way to do things, or a work around, it is an intuitive and normal way to do webpage navigation.

>This whole paragraph was a waste of everyone's time that had the unfortunate experience of reading it. It gave no information, helped no one, and had nothing to do with the problem people have been complaining about. Buying tickets to events is not comparable to puzzles/quests/events in any way. Trying to compare the two is totally ignorant.

I see the irony wasn't lost on you.
Re: Droughtman's Maze Challenge - Holiday Run: Prize List Update 12/08/2013 06:27 PM CST

>I think a better analogy to this would be having a store open with limited doorbuster sales at 9:00pm. Signage and everything is on the front door of the building, hours are there, but the door remains locked and the closed sign stays up as the clock strikes 9. No employees show up to open the door and let the rush of customers through because they are over at a side entrance opening those doors up first. Eventually the workers figure that they'll get to the front door but by the time they do all the limited items are gone. Would the customers who waited at that front entrance and were unaware of a side entrance have something legitimate to complain about? I would say so.

Except this wasn't a side door. Lets be clear, the 3 or 4 people up in arms here who got confused about which page to refresh are vastly outnumbered by the 100 tickets sold.

To slightly tweak your analogy 4 people sit at the mall entrance waiting it to open there is a sign on the door that says "Pottery Barn is having a special sale in the mall today at 9", not realizing the doors are open and unlocked and they merely need to go through them. 100 people sit inside the mall at the entrance to Pottery Barn, waiting until 9:00 when the Pottery Barn sale on handcrafted fair trade status symbols opens. At 9:00 those 100 people go in and shop. At 9:05 the 4 people at the mall entrance in the cold finally try the door, realize it had been open this whole time, march to Pottery Barn and get indignant with the overwork sales associates because no one told them they were queued up in the wrong place and why couldn't they have sent someone to the front door of the mall to change the sign that said "today at 9" to "right now!"

Meanwhile, the 100 people who have shopped at a mall before are staring and silently wondering "Why didn't anyone try the door?"
Re: Droughtman's Maze Challenge - Holiday Run: Prize List Update 12/08/2013 06:34 PM CST
>>To slightly tweak your analogy 4 people sit at the mall entrance waiting it to open there is a sign on the door that says "Pottery Barn is having a special sale in the mall today at 9", not realizing the doors are open and unlocked and they merely need to go through them. 100 people sit inside the mall at the entrance to Pottery Barn, waiting until 9:00 when the Pottery Barn sale on handcrafted fair trade status symbols opens. At 9:00 those 100 people go in and shop. At 9:05 the 4 people at the mall entrance in the cold finally try the door, realize it had been open this whole time, march to Pottery Barn and get indignant with the overwork sales associates because no one told them they were queued up in the wrong place and why couldn't they have sent someone to the front door of the mall to change the sign that said "today at 9" to "right now!"

>>Meanwhile, the 100 people who have shopped at a mall before are staring and silently wondering "Why didn't anyone try the door?"

That would work, but the door to the main entrance would have to have a sign on it that said "Closed", which would effectively be the "Tickets are not available yet" text.

The people that were waiting at the main entrance see that sign and try the door only to find it locked (no link), so wait for it to be unlocked. While other people head over to the side entrances of the mall which have the closed sign but are also unlocked and allowing people to go in and wait at the Pottery Barn.
Re: Droughtman's Maze Challenge - Holiday Run: Prize List Update 12/08/2013 07:02 PM CST

>The people that were waiting at the main entrance see that sign and try the door only to find it locked (no link), so wait for it to be unlocked.

There was no locked door here sir. There were two links to get you to the page you needed to go, the icon, and the title, both were working the entire time. I don't know if you're an expert computer user, an amateur, or secretly Bill Gates, but navigation through clicking on icons and titles is not some revolutionary thing. All of us should be used to it.

And certainly, we all make mistakes, and if one were to make the mistake of not bothering to even try to click those two links, they shouldn't get indignant about it. Call it a lesson learned.
Re: Droughtman's Maze Challenge - Holiday Run: Prize List Update 12/08/2013 07:19 PM CST

>And certainly, we all make mistakes, and if one were to make the mistake of not bothering to even try to click those two links, they shouldn't get indignant about it. Call it a lesson learned.

lesson learned to not believe anything clearly posted on Simu's site?
Re: Droughtman's Maze Challenge - Holiday Run: Prize List Update 12/08/2013 07:23 PM CST
I think we've definitely drilled the issue home. So I think it's time to close up on this discussion, as I can see it moving to personal attacks soon.

~Wyrom, SGM
Premium
Platinum
Promotions
Re: Droughtman's Maze Challenge - Holiday Run: Prize List Update 12/08/2013 07:30 PM CST
>>There was no locked door here sir. There were two links to get you to the page you needed to go, the icon, and the title, both were working the entire time. I don't know if you're an expert computer user, an amateur, or secretly Bill Gates, but navigation through clicking on icons and titles is not some revolutionary thing. All of us should be used to it.

There was a locked door in the essence of the "Tickets are not yet available" text. The "Get your ticket" link would be the unlocked and open front door. The title and icon links are the side doors, which I say had the closed sign from the "Tickets are not yet available" but were unlocked and allowed you to go further in. Not everyone knows to check the side doors, or to even look for them. The same can be said about the title and icon link.

The only lesson to be learned here is that Simutronics as a company (not the GMs) are willing to let an easily fixed known issue continue for over 7 years.
Re: Droughtman's Maze Challenge - Holiday Run: Prize List Update 12/17/2013 11:25 PM CST
So, I've read through these threads, and I might have missed it, but were there any hints given about these two items?

a rounded black cobblestone painted with a pair of golden feline eyes
a weathered leather coin pouch stitched with strands of veniom thread
Re: Droughtman's Maze Challenge - Holiday Run: Prize List Update 12/18/2013 03:44 AM CST

ooo a pet rock. pouch looks like one of the coin holder, quantities they hold can vary, but it holds some weightless coinage great for hunting
Re: Droughtman's Maze Challenge - Holiday Run: Prize List Update 12/18/2013 06:26 AM CST

One would hope the cat eyes means call familiar but it might have something to do with the cat goddess. No hints that I've seen but the possibilities are endless.
Velvette