How are the prizes working in the Dec run? 11/27/2012 09:51 PM CST
Could we get one single post from a GM which clearly describes how the prizes are working this time around?

Also, could we get that posted in advance every single time from now on? Maybe in the quest description in the box office?

If you don't want to post about it in the announcements, I understand. If you don't have teasers about the prize pool until a few weeks before the event, that's fine. What's really irritating is finding out less than 2 weeks before the event that it's not going to work like the last series of runs. The cherry on top is sifting through a couple threads of scattered information in order to find details and still, after reading it all, not being sure exactly what is going on.

I don't expect to be disappointed. Even as a participant in one of the gimped death cooldown timer runes last time, I wasn't particularly disappointed. I just like to know what to expect.
Re: How are the prizes working in the Dec run? 11/27/2012 10:03 PM CST
I had just posted the information not too long ago. The souvenir pull is not new, and is something we've done with the weekend runs. The only thing that has changed is the grand prize. It has never been set in stone what it is, and has been different a few times now. The items just got out of QC a few days ago, hence my teasing them. There are just over a 100 items to get.

I am sorry that there has been bad information gathering on this run of DMC. Things weren't announced very well, and it's something we will try not to do going forward. I completely understand anyone's frustration on that aspect.

The 10 runs will work just like any other weekend game. Each player is guaranteed at least one item as long as they show up. The winner of each round will move to the finalist (champion) game, and each player will get a souvenir item at the end. The grand prize winner will be awarded a deed for a private property, which is transferable (the details are all listed on the physical deed). It is a workshop, it will cost 100k a month. For those trying to guess, it is Tedra's Cottage.

If there is anything specific you'd like to know, feel free to ask here.

~Wyrom, ASGM
Host Manager
GameMaster Trainer
Honorary QC Lackey
Re: How are the prizes working in the Dec run? 11/27/2012 11:23 PM CST
In the past runs, the winners of each round got a prize (GALD or enchant, for the past few mini-DMC runs, correct?). Will this be the case or is there only a prize for the winner of the final round?
Re: How are the prizes working in the Dec run? 11/28/2012 07:12 AM CST
>>In the past runs, the winners of each round got a prize (GALD or enchant, for the past few mini-DMC runs, correct?). Will this be the case or is there only a prize for the winner of the final round?

Only a prize for the winner. Everyone gets a souvenir pull.

~Wyrom, ASGM
Host Manager
GameMaster Trainer
Honorary QC Lackey
Re: How are the prizes working in the Dec run? 11/28/2012 10:50 AM CST
>>In the past runs, the winners of each round got a prize (GALD or enchant, for the past few mini-DMC runs, correct?). Will this be the case or is there only a prize for the winner of the final round?

>>Only a prize for the winner. Everyone gets a souvenir pull.

Wyrom, I think he means the winner's reward in the first 10 runs, separate from the random prize pull.

Like the previous mini weekend tournaments there will still be 10 enchant services (up to 8x) going out to the winners of each of the qualifying rounds, correct? This in addition to the 100 (if they show up) random prize (item) pulls.

To confirm, the only change from the last three runs is the grand prize switching from a padding/weighting (max exceptional) or enchant (max 10x) service, to a transferable Landing workshop private property deed.

And thank you for being so responsive with the details.
Re: How are the prizes working in the Dec run? 11/28/2012 02:10 PM CST
No, there is no enchanting or padding/weighting this run. The prizes are substantially better than any previous mini run.

~Wyrom, ASGM
Host Manager
GameMaster Trainer
Honorary QC Lackey
Re: How are the prizes working in the Dec run? 11/28/2012 04:24 PM CST
Why is this still going ahead as plan even though there was no announcement for buying tickets? Why not cancel them out and then open them up to everyone who would like to buy one? Seems highly unfair to the rest of your customers. Either that or add more runs. Acknowledging that you screwed up but then not doing anything to fix it is just not cool.
Re: How are the prizes working in the Dec run? 11/28/2012 04:44 PM CST

wait no enchanting for winning? you just get a random prize like everyone else with the exception of making it to the next round for a chance at the grand prize?
Re: How are the prizes working in the Dec run? 11/28/2012 05:07 PM CST
Cancelling wouldn't be fair for those that purchased tickets. I'm sure we'll have more runs eventually. Creating prizes isn't as easy as Tamuz and Wryom make it look.

SGM Sleken
Re: How are the prizes working in the Dec run? 11/28/2012 05:12 PM CST

Well, if it is only just a prize pull for the winner, then it is not the same as the others like you said.

To be honest, it makes winning a run meaningless if you don't win the whole thing. Which was the point of either getting the service in the last 2 mini runs. Or a second pull in the original DM. Frankly, changing it AFTER the tickets were sold is very shady.

These changes should have been announced before the tickets sold.
Re: How are the prizes working in the Dec run? 11/28/2012 05:29 PM CST

Nothing at all was announced before the tickets sold out, buyers made assumptions, Solomon forgot to make the announcement and it sold out anyway. Nothing shady involved, caveat emptor and all that.
Re: How are the prizes working in the Dec run? 11/28/2012 05:41 PM CST
Well, if it is only just a prize pull for the winner, then it is not the same as the others like you said.

To be honest, it makes winning a run meaningless if you don't win the whole thing. Which was the point of either getting the service in the last 2 mini runs. Or a second pull in the original DM. Frankly, changing it AFTER the tickets were sold is very shady.

These changes should have been announced before the tickets sold.

Um, where did he say it was only a prize pull for winners? The winners of the various rounds get a SOUVENIR prize pull in the finals is what I read, with everything else being the same as past mini-runs.I don't find it shady at all, and I'm pleased with the prize list that was presented, and the grand prize is pretty awesome. Especially since it is transferable.

~James
Player of Septimius
Re: How are the prizes working in the Dec run? 11/28/2012 05:44 PM CST
Property deeds in DMC have always been transferable. Not sure why you'd expect anything else at this point.

-Richard/Fjalar.
Re: How are the prizes working in the Dec run? 11/28/2012 05:51 PM CST

Um, where did he say it was only a prize pull for winners? The winners of the various rounds get a SOUVENIR prize pull in the finals is what I read, with everything else being the same as past mini-runs.I don't find it shady at all, and I'm pleased with the prize list that was presented, and the grand prize is pretty awesome. Especially since it is transferable.

~James
Player of Septimius

---

I think you missed the part where he said there was no service for the winner of the round. Which was something that was offered in all the other mini runs. Hence it is not the same.

All I know is I will laugh my butt off if the winner of a round gets the unlimited crystal amulet, or the 20 sip enhancive potion. The grand prize isn't that bad, and a nice way to give out a property.
Re: How are the prizes working in the Dec run? 11/28/2012 06:11 PM CST
Yeah, I know they don't get that. I thought you were inferring that only the winner of a round gets a pull from the prize pile.

~James
Player of Septimius
Re: How are the prizes working in the Dec run? 11/28/2012 06:14 PM CST
>Property deeds in DMC have always been transferable. Not sure why you'd expect anything else at this point.

Not the case for the previous grand prize, actually, so it's good to clarify.

What an awesome prize, by the way!

~ Nuadjha, the Briar Fox

You inhale deeply upon your pipe, puckering your lips as you send out three rings of smoke before you, then puff out a small vine of smoke that darts right through all three which causes them to disperse in a hazy shroud!
Re: How are the prizes working in the Dec run? 11/28/2012 06:40 PM CST
This is exactly why I asked for it to be spelled out.

There was confusion the first time the Droughtman's mini-run tickets were sold (it differed substantially from the 2011 tournament). But all three 2012 mini-runs were the same in terms of prizes: all first-round participants get a prize pulled from the treasure chest, winners of the first round got an enchanting or GALD service. In the final round, participants get a non-treasure-chest souvenir, and the winner received a grand prize of an enchanting, weighting, or padding service. And, of course, all contestants get the silvers from each of the individual rounds. Correct me if I'm wrong here.

The grand prize was never variable in the mini-runs so no one would have expected it to change. And, from other people's posts, it's clear that people expected first round winners would get a prize as well.

There's nothing innately wrong with the new prize structure here. If we had been told ahead of time that the grand prize was going to be a transferable property deed, that first-round winners wouldn't get a prize, and that the treasure chest pool would be getting a boost (with teasers to follow), I'm sure many people would have been excited (after all, 90% of the participants would get a bump here).

At this point, the issue is that it's just not what anyone expected. People will definitely complain about the prize structure simply on that basis. Most of us probably already worked out in our heads what we would have done with our win. That fact that the opportunity is gone is perceived as a loss (even though it's not). This is human nature.

As customers, we all just want to know what to expect.
Re: How are the prizes working in the Dec run? 11/28/2012 07:24 PM CST

Thanks for responding to feedback and buffing up the prize pool on this run. Hopefully the subsequent runs for those that missed the Sept. thread here are similiarly buffed (whenever that will be). I've been a bit unlucky with the mini DM's by being in one of the few death timer runs, grabbing crumbly objects and missing this last unannounced one. :)
Re: How are the prizes working in the Dec run? 11/28/2012 07:54 PM CST
Just to give you a little insight on everything, maybe to better help understand our situation, I'll explain a little bit. We actually finalized some tools when it comes to building items for events such as Droughtman's Maze Challenge or Night at the Academy after the tickets went on sale this time around. Then Ebon Gate hit us, which is a very time intensive event for the majority of staff. So please accept our (or at least my) apology about the poor communication.

Moving forward, the prize structures can change from event to event, even with the event having the same name. This time around, we built items with substantially better properties for you, so that all ticket goers would end up with something we hope you'll like, or can barter with players to get something you like. This prize pile is a littler more heavily weighted for mechanical items. But we do have some interesting non-mechanical items too.

A new X/day item system is also being introduced this run, so expect a handful of those type of items. We made a number of items that were requested here. We have some top notch stuff. I think you will find your time here will be worth your while.

~Wyrom, ASGM
Host Manager
GameMaster Trainer
Honorary QC Lackey
Re: How are the prizes working in the Dec run? 11/29/2012 12:00 PM CST
<<A new X/day item system is also being introduced this run, so expect a handful of those type of items. We made a number of items that were requested here. We have some top notch stuff. I think you will find your time here will be worth your while.>>

Thanks for being receptive to the feedback. I know people are never happy with those crumbly prizes.