520: set default element 07/20/2018 09:56 PM CDT
It would be super handy if we could set Mage Armor/520 to always cast to a specific element, akin to the recent 712 Retribution update for sorcerers.

Such as:
>prep 520
>evoke <element>
>>You are now set to invoke the element of <n> by default for Mage Armor

It would allow the wizard to always open cast 520 with the desired element, until it is overriden by another evoke <element>, or cast/incant with another targeted element for the situation.

Thanks!
Re: 520: set default element 07/20/2018 10:29 PM CDT
Would also like for it to respect this setting if you do MANA SPELLUP as well.
Re: 520: set default element 07/20/2018 11:28 PM CDT
In my experience, MANA SPELLUP simply refreshes the existing spell - so if it's set right, that should be taken care of.

But - I like the suggestion to be able to set a default!

Doug
Re: 520: set default element 07/21/2018 03:29 AM CDT
I'll add it to my list, to see if it can be supported. The cast mechanics of 520 are atypical though, so no promises.

Viduus
Re: 520: set default element 07/21/2018 10:07 AM CDT
Thanks, Viduus!

Doug
Re: 520: set default element 07/26/2018 08:59 AM CDT
While we're at it can we just remove attunement from our spells altogether and let lore handle stuff like this? i.e. 502

~ Methais
Re: 520: set default element 07/26/2018 09:46 AM CDT

No.

Ophion...

Er Viduus
Re: 520: set default element 07/26/2018 01:44 PM CDT
>No.

>Ophion...

>Er Viduus

:(

How about making iridescents drop? :D

http://gifimage.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/i-got-these-cheeseburgers-gif-1.gif

For real though, have any actually been pulled from a plinite yet?

~ Methais
Re: 520: set default element 07/26/2018 07:13 PM CDT

To expand on the no. I didn't want to support lightning with 520 originally because I wanted pure lore influenced spell. Since it had to be supported, the spell gained a pretty good additional effect in the form of stun protection. Stripping it out now would lessen the spell, and no, more composites would not be an option - at least for 520.

Having to support the 5 elements actually tends to result in more class gains than not if you think about it.

Viduus
Re: 520: set default element 07/26/2018 07:27 PM CDT
>>I wanted pure lore influenced spell

Isn't lightning defined as a pure lore, though? Er. . . two pure lores?

If you have someone who has say. . . 50 air and 50 water ranks - bam! Lightning eligible. It's just a question of if the individual wizard would have trained up to the right amount of lores.

I'd a thunk this would be a good thing. . .

Doug
Re: 520: set default element 07/27/2018 03:53 AM CDT

Isn't lightning defined as a pure lore, though? Er. . . two pure lores?

If you have someone who has say. . . 50 air and 50 water ranks - bam! Lightning eligible. It's just a question of if the individual wizard would have trained up to the right amount of lores.

I'd a thunk this would be a good thing. . .

Doug

It's murky. I personally define it as a composite.

Viduus
Re: 520: set default element 07/27/2018 11:40 AM CDT
>> I personally define it as a composite.

Ahh, yep, I understand the way you're considering, now.

How much to change your mind? :)

Doug
Re: 520: set default element 07/27/2018 11:47 AM CDT
>To expand on the no. I didn't want to support lightning with 520 originally because I wanted pure lore influenced spell. Since it had to be supported, the spell gained a pretty good additional effect in the form of stun protection. Stripping it out now would lessen the spell, and no, more composites would not be an option - at least for 520.

>Having to support the 5 elements actually tends to result in more class gains than not if you think about it.

>Viduus

How about for 502 though? Having that spell tied to attunement causes a lot of really annoying problems and can make the spell effectively useless depending on what you're hunting.

It seems like it would make a lot more sense to be able to choose 502's element based on your lore training similar to how 518's elements work, instead of being shoehorned into just one (reliable) element via attunement, especially with how many changes/nerfs we've had with the intent of pushing us away from CS kill spells in favor of bolting and bolt setup spells.

If we're supposed to be all about bolting, then wouldn't it make sense for our bolt setup spell to be able to work with the element of our choosing vs. being stuck with 1 element or roll the dice on a random one? It only gives the DS penalty for 2 follow up bolts, so I'm not seeing how being able to choose our 502 element based off of lore instead of attunement would be unbalanced. If you're a cold mage hunting in Pinefar, for example, 502 has zero reliability and will most likely just not be used at all. This applies to any critter that's immune to an element.

This is on top of wizards being "masters of the elements," as with at least this spell, we're only master of one element, and amateur night for the rest.

~ Methais
Re: 520: set default element 07/27/2018 04:14 PM CDT
>>It seems like it would make a lot more sense to be able to choose 502's element based on your lore training similar to how 518's elements work

I still like this idea, or at least have the 502 elements be more usable. For instance, you mentioned 502 cold in Pinefar, but it's also an issue against many undead. Give me the option to choose my element with my lore, or let me stash things with jagged icicles. Or drop a giant icecube on them. But mostly, just working like 518 and 520 with choosing sounds best to me.

_ _ _
Myasara says, "Raining rocks down on my city was not the best course of action."
- - -
Nishima put a group of five partially frozen corpses in the Nishima disk.
Several frozen limbs peek out of the disk in a macabre fashion.
Re: 520: set default element 07/27/2018 05:28 PM CDT

An idea, practicality of implementation aside, would be to give wizards an ability to temporarily change atonement, to reflect the mastery element.