Familiar Talismans come to Alchemy 02/17/2016 09:08 PM CST
Ship's Alchemist Thris has labored through the year to formulate fancy new alchemical Familiar Talismans! She has sent her parrot to the Wizard Guild, Atrium, in the town of Wehnimer's Landing with instructions on how to create these new talismans.

The parrot has been instructed to stay around for the following two weeks and will share the alchemical formulas for upgraded and merchant style Familiar Talismans for those who ask it about the first and second recipes.

OOC:
The first formula will create a talisman that will be able to bind and summon any unaltered familiar with 100% accuracy, regardless if it is a type not normally summonable in the area. This first talisman type will not work with altered familiars.

The second formula will create a talisman that will bind and summon any altered familiar, similarly to above.

There are also a set of additional formulas that have been released that can be discovered through experimentation, and following the parrot's clues when asked about more recipes.

-KEIOS
Keios is pretty amazing. ~Wyrom

Re: Familiar Talismans come to Alchemy 02/17/2016 09:15 PM CST
Thank you very much for this!

>The second formula will create a talisman that will bind and summon any altered familiar, similarly to above.

Does this still only apply to your own altered familiars (no saving someone else's design)?

Can these second types now be merchant altered?
Re: Familiar Talismans come to Alchemy 02/17/2016 09:25 PM CST
>>Does this still only apply to your own altered familiars (no saving someone else's design)?

Yes, a wizard can only bind a familiar they have themselves summoned or previously bound.

>>Can these second types now be merchant altered?

Familiar talismans are not likely to become options for GALD, as they require specialized training.

-KEIOS

Re: Familiar Talismans come to Alchemy 02/17/2016 11:57 PM CST
>There are also a set of additional formulas that have been released that can be discovered through experimentation, and following the parrot's clues when asked about more recipes.

Is this daytime only, for the sake of not wasting rare ingredients?
Re: Familiar Talismans come to Alchemy 02/18/2016 08:07 AM CST
>>Is this daytime only, for the sake of not wasting rare ingredients?

Nope. Feel free to experiment either during the day or night.

-KEIOS

Re: Familiar Talismans come to Alchemy 02/18/2016 02:19 PM CST
These are amazing. Thank you again for all the work that went into creating them!

Special thanks to Faulkil for his help.
Re: Familiar Talismans come to Alchemy 02/18/2016 02:23 PM CST

What do the finalized products look like?
Re: Familiar Talismans come to Alchemy 02/18/2016 02:38 PM CST
I wouldn't post any details until at least after the weekend so other people can have the fun of figuring it out and discovering what the end results are.

That's just me though. :-)

-- Robert

Bazzelwyn says, "Maul maul maul maul maul maul maul."
Bazzelwyn says, "The answer is maul."
Re: Familiar Talismans come to Alchemy 02/18/2016 02:40 PM CST
upgraded familiar talisman: a carved wooden talisman
merchant familiar talisman: a subtly carved wooden talisman

As your eyes traverse across the grain of an ironwood raven talisman, the misty image of a glossy coal black raven fills your vision before slowly fading away.

As your eyes traverse across the grain of a birchwood cat talisman, the misty image of a silver-eyed pure white cat fills your vision before slowly fading away.

As your eyes traverse across the grain of a maple wolf talisman, the misty image of an amber-eyed grizzled timber wolf fills your vision before slowly fading away.

As your eyes traverse across the grain of a maoral fox talisman, the misty image of a black-footed plump red fox fills your vision before slowly fading away.

As your eyes traverse across the grain of a crudely carved frog talisman, the misty image of a heavy-set bull frog fills your vision before slowly fading away.

As your eyes traverse across the grain of a cocobolo hawk talisman, the misty image of a dappled broad-winged hawk fills your vision before slowly fading away.
Re: Familiar Talismans come to Alchemy 02/18/2016 04:13 PM CST
>>These are amazing. Thank you again for all the work that went into creating them!

I am very glad you like them!

It looks like you've found half of them. :)

-KEIOS

Re: Familiar Talismans come to Alchemy 02/18/2016 04:24 PM CST
>> It looks like you've found half of them. :)

Doh! Ohhhh... day vs. night I'll bet...

-- Robert

Re: Familiar Talismans come to Alchemy 02/18/2016 04:56 PM CST
>It looks like you've found half of them. :)

As your eyes traverse across the grain of a haon owl talisman, the misty image of a dark-eyed grey barred owl fills your vision before slowly fading away.

As your eyes traverse across the grain of an ebonwood cat talisman, the misty image of a silver-ruffed charcoal black cat fills your vision before slowly fading away.

As your eyes traverse across the grain of an ash jackal talisman, the misty image of a rangy dappled grey jackal fills your vision before slowly fading away.

As your eyes traverse across the grain of a hickory coyote talisman, the misty image of a lithe golden-eyed coyote fills your vision before slowly fading away.

As your eyes traverse across the grain of a crudely carved toad talisman, the misty image of a squat pebble-backed toad fills your vision before slowly fading away.

As your eyes traverse across the grain of a driftwood merlin talisman, the misty image of a slim dove grey merlin fills your vision before slowly fading away.
Re: Familiar Talismans come to Alchemy 02/18/2016 06:13 PM CST
Do the upgraded familiar talismans also have 10 charges?
Re: Familiar Talismans come to Alchemy 02/18/2016 06:19 PM CST
>gaze my talisman
You gaze in awe at the penguin talisman in your hand.

Also, the bound upgraded familiar talismans don't appear to display the saved familiar description.
Re: Familiar Talismans come to Alchemy 02/18/2016 09:44 PM CST
>>Do the upgraded familiar talismans also have 10 charges?

All of the talismans newly introduced to the alchemy system have 10 charges each.

>>Also, the bound upgraded familiar talismans don't appear to display the saved familiar description.

I hadn't coded in that functionality as the upgraded familiar talismans are really just an upgrade of the store boughts, which also do not have that functionality. However, since you expressed interest, I've added GAZE to the upgraded familiar talismans. Please let me know if you see any other issues or concerns.

-KEIOS

Re: Familiar Talismans come to Alchemy 02/18/2016 09:56 PM CST
>I hadn't coded in that functionality as the upgraded familiar talismans are really just an upgrade of the store boughts, which also do not have that functionality. However, since you expressed interest, I've added GAZE to the upgraded familiar talismans. Please let me know if you see any other issues or concerns.

Thank you for the prompt update! I really appreciate these being made with accessible ingredients.
Re: Familiar Talismans come to Alchemy 02/18/2016 09:57 PM CST
I haven't posted much on this release but I wanted to say I had a lot of fun with the parrot and puzzling out the extra recipes and think these are a nice lift for alchemy and for familiars! Thanks for your time and effort in putting this together and getting it out there!

-- Robert

Re: Familiar Talismans come to Alchemy 02/18/2016 10:09 PM CST
>Please let me know if you see any other issues or concerns.

Actually, there is one minor bug with the upgraded familiar talisman.

>gaze my talisman
As your eyes traverse across the grain of a carved wooden penguin talisman, the misty image of a 0 little blue penguin fills your vision before slowly fading away.
Re: Familiar Talismans come to Alchemy 02/18/2016 10:31 PM CST
>>Actually, there is one minor bug with the upgraded familiar talisman.

Pushed out an update that should fix that. Thanks.

-KEIOS

Re: Familiar Talismans come to Alchemy 02/20/2016 01:47 PM CST

https://gswiki.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Familiar_talisman#Alchemy_Recipes

Did my best with the recipes based on the parrot and not making them myself, feel free to correct
Re: Familiar Talismans come to Alchemy 02/20/2016 06:44 PM CST
The recipes look fine.

What does this mean?

Location All but Teras

-- Robert

Re: Familiar Talismans come to Alchemy 02/20/2016 06:55 PM CST

>What does this mean?

Ayana leaf doesn't grow on Teras as far as I can see from various resources, so it cannot be made there
Re: Familiar Talismans come to Alchemy 02/20/2016 07:05 PM CST
All right... thanks for explaining!

-- Robert

Re: Familiar Talismans come to Alchemy 02/21/2016 10:02 PM CST
>>Ayana leaf doesn't grow on Teras as far as I can see from various resources, so it cannot be made there

Got that fixed for you. Many thanks to GM Wakefield!

Stormbrow, Abandoned Mine Dock
Ghorsa Isle, Under The Bridge
Ghorsa Isle, Plaza Southeast

Those should all now be locations where Ayana leaves can be foraged.
In addition to those, Ayana leaves also grow in the backyard of Welkin Hall.

-KEIOS

Re: Familiar Talismans come to Alchemy 02/22/2016 04:54 AM CST
You just placed a rare herb in the hobbits lair. If he ever wakes up, expect a grumpy response to this. /flees
Re: Familiar Talismans come to Alchemy 02/22/2016 08:18 AM CST
>You just placed a rare herb in the hobbits lair. If he ever wakes up, expect a grumpy response to this. /flees

What a dumb statement. Nobody owns any room on Teras, or anywhere in the public lands, for that matter.
Re: Familiar Talismans come to Alchemy 02/23/2016 01:47 PM CST
So, I don't Alchemy. I think I have, at the most, 5 ranks in trinkets.

How many ranks does it require to successfully make the Talismans?
Re: Familiar Talismans come to Alchemy 02/23/2016 02:12 PM CST
>> How many ranks does it require to successfully make the Talismans?

The basic talismans probably not that much training as they only use SIMMER and CHANT(as a pure guess I would go with 10 ranks).
The merchant altered talisman probably a bit more as it requires that you INFUSE mana (I think you learn to INFUSE around rank 30).
The special talismans you would need to be pretty high up as they require that you REFRACT light (I think you learn that skill at around 45 ranks).

-- Robert

Re: Familiar Talismans come to Alchemy 02/23/2016 02:14 PM CST
Or, join me and just buy from those that invest their time this way.

Competition never hurt.

Doug
Re: Familiar Talismans come to Alchemy 02/23/2016 02:19 PM CST
>> Or, join me and just buy from those that invest their time this way.

Along these lines, and as long as it doesn't get out of hand, if anyone wants some of these new talismans made simply provide me with two of the required dusts for each talisman you would like to have in return. I'll supply the skill, time, and other ingredients to provide you with a corresponding talisman.

Unaltered familiar talisman - blue essence dusts
Merchant quality familiar talisman - violet essence dust
Special familiar talismans (12 to choose from) - radiant crimson essence dust

-- Robert aka Faulkil

Re: Familiar Talismans come to Alchemy 02/23/2016 02:30 PM CST
And nice service!

Doug
Re: Familiar Talismans come to Alchemy 02/23/2016 02:55 PM CST
>The basic talismans probably not that much training as they only use SIMMER and CHANT(as a pure guess I would go with 10 ranks).

Thanks for the response!

I failed my first attempt at making a basic talisman the other day. I don't want to waste more ingredients than I have to, any pointers on where I went wrong? I was assuming that if I had learned the required skills, I would be able to complete the recipe. If it matters, I have 18 ranks in General Alchemy, 5 ranks in Trinkets, and 7 ranks in Potions. I believe I had the recipe correct:

>take cau
You detach the sigil-carved cauldron from your brushed suede satchel.
>put cau
You drop a thick grey steel sigil-carved cauldron.
>light cau
You focus on the sigil-carved cauldron and pulse a small amount of mana into it. A small flickering flame appears beneath it.
>
You feel at full magical power again.
>take oil
You remove a vial of pearlescent oil from in your brushed suede satchel.
>put oil in cau
You pour a vial of pearlescent oil into a thick grey steel sigil-carved cauldron.
>take my berry
>
You remove an ayana berry from in your brushed suede satchel.
>put berry in cau
You place an ayana berry into a thick grey steel sigil-carved cauldron.
>take my berry
You remove an ayana berry from in your brushed suede satchel.
>put berry in cau
>
You place an ayana berry into a thick grey steel sigil-carved cauldron.
>l in cau
The sigil-carved cauldron is currently lit. So far, you've added trinket oil and 2 doses of ayana leaf.
>alc simmer
You focus on the sigil-carved cauldron and gently push mana into it. The flame beneath it quickly flares to life, bringing the contents to a slow simmer.
Roundtime: 20 sec.
>take blue dust
You remove some glimmering blue essence dust from in your brushed suede satchel.
>put dust in cau
You place some glimmering blue essence dust into a thick grey steel sigil-carved cauldron.
>take wood talisman
You remove a wooden talisman from in your brushed suede satchel.
>put talis in cau
You toss a wooden talisman into a thick grey steel sigil-carved cauldron. The talisman swirls gently on top of the solution within before sinking and dissolving with a faint hiss.
>alch chant 920
You extend your hands over the sigil-carved cauldron and softly begin the incantation of Call Familiar, altering the phrasing, tone, and inflection slightly as you focus the power of the words on the solution within. Flickering wisps of essence coalesce over the solution as your chant continues, swirling in rhythm with the sound of your voice, and lazily drift down to vanish into the solution.
Roundtime: 30 sec.
>l in cauld
The sigil-carved cauldron is currently lit. So far, you've added trinket oil and 2 doses of ayana leaf, simmered it, added glimmering blue essence dust and plain familiar talisman, and chanted Call Familiar.
>alch seal
You hold your hands over the sigil-carved cauldron and murmur the incantation for sealing the solution. As you do so, an olive green haze begins to seep out of the cauldron, dissipating as it reaches the ground.
Roundtime: 10 sec.
>
Gradually, you pulse mana into the cauldron, settling the turbulent essences contained within.
Roundtime: 8 sec.
>
Your senses are no longer as sharp.
>
As you soothe the solution, you can see the liquid in the cauldron slowly begin to condense.
Roundtime: 8 sec.
>
You feel at full magical power again.
>
You sense something amiss with the solution in the cauldron and quickly dismiss the flame and stop the sealing process.
The contents of the cauldron swirl suddenly, turning an unpleasant shade of brown and casting a foul odor into the air. The solution is clearly ruined.
With a sigh, you empty the cauldron of its failed concoction.

Re: Familiar Talismans come to Alchemy 02/23/2016 02:57 PM CST
5 ranks in trinkets is not going to be anywhere close enough to make much of anything.
Re: Familiar Talismans come to Alchemy 02/23/2016 02:58 PM CST

for ranks the only thing that would matter is your rank in trinkets. 5 ranks is very low.

If you heard the parrot at the release, he hinted the first recipe was "mid-range," and the second recipe was "high-end," and the third was for masters
Re: Familiar Talismans come to Alchemy 02/23/2016 02:59 PM CST
>5 ranks in trinkets is not going to be anywhere close enough to make much of anything.

Great! I'll repeat my original question, then.

>How many ranks does it require to successfully make the Talismans?

Do you know?
Re: Familiar Talismans come to Alchemy 02/23/2016 03:01 PM CST
>If you heard the parrot at the release, he hinted the first recipe was "mid-range," and the second recipe was "high-end," and the third was for masters

Ah, I missed the release event. But that does give me a more clear idea of what I'm looking for! Thank you for the helpful response!
Re: Familiar Talismans come to Alchemy 02/23/2016 03:01 PM CST
No one will know unless someone who tests at every rank, but I would be surprised if any of them can be made with under 30 ranks of trinkets.
Re: Familiar Talismans come to Alchemy 02/23/2016 03:14 PM CST

>But that does give me a more clear idea of what I'm looking for!

Generally you're not going to deal with recipes having to do with high level spells at 5 ranks. Rather than assuming you can make something at 5 ranks, assume you cannot.
Re: Familiar Talismans come to Alchemy 03/25/2016 02:31 AM CDT

Late to the party, but, I admittedly haven't checked this folder because I didn't want to wade through the all the rage about the ELR. However, now that I've stepped into it, I was able to create the first tier of talismans at Rank 15 Trinkets, and the Merchant ones at Rank 30. I can not make the other ones, or at least not that I've found the recipes for.