Zemis the Dwarven Warmage...returning after a long time away 02/17/2017 10:12 AM CST
(I posted on Tinyforums, apologies in advance if you read it twice)

After 9+ years away, I've gotten the bug to get back into Gemstone. For some perspective, I've played on and off since the days of GEnie and those horribly expensive dial-up costs back when it was the original GS3...

I had been happily playing/RP'ing a Naginata swinging Warmage Dwarf named Zemis. I'm now wondering, given all that has changed even in the last decade, is my character path still viable?

I must admit that after doing some reading on the boards here and on play.net I have been considering fixskilling back to a pure caster but...I just don't know.

I do realize that 506 is no longer what it used to be and it only works with quickstrike and air lore ranks so this was one of my immediate worries. My city is Icemule and I was last hunting in and around Pinefar, though after logging in several times I have been gun shy until I can get my feet back under me.

What are your thoughts? Anything that stand out which you feel, given all that has been changed, I should tweak? Oh, I have an old-style nagi + eblade and am wearing self enchanted 6x Doubles.

Thanks very much,
Cisco--Player of Zemis

Name: Zemis Xarag Race: Dwarf Profession: Wizard (not shown)
Normal (Bonus) ... Enhanced (Bonus)
Strength (STR): 91 (30) ... 91 (30)
Constitution (CON): 74 (27) ... 74 (27)
Dexterity (DEX): 84 (17) ... 84 (17)
Agility (AGI): 76 (8) ... 76 (8)
Discipline (DIS): 84 (27) ... 84 (27)
Aura (AUR): 97 (13) ... 97 (13)
Logic (LOG): 94 (27) ... 94 (27)
Intuition (INT): 67 (8) ... 67 (8)
Wisdom (WIS): 77 (13) ... 77 (13)
Influence (INF): 65 (-3) ... 65 (-3)
Mana: 146 Silver: 0

Zemis (at level 44), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:

Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 70 15
Polearm Weapons....................| 146 46
Physical Fitness...................| 105 25
Arcane Symbols.....................| 146 46
Magic Item Use.....................| 146 46
Spell Aiming.......................| 192 92
Harness Power......................| 163 63
Elemental Mana Control.............| 146 46
Elemental Lore - Air...............| 102 24
Perception.........................| 146 46
Climbing...........................| 78 17
Swimming...........................| 50 10

Spell Lists
Major Elemental....................| 27

Spell Lists
Minor Elemental....................| 36

Spell Lists
Wizard.............................| 37
Training Points: 69 Phy 0 Mnt (596 Phy converted to Mnt)
(Use SKILLS BASE to display unmodified ranks and goals)

95 days remain until the annual FIXSKILLS is to be granted, on 05/20/2017.
Re: Zemis the Dwarven Warmage...returning after a long time away 02/17/2017 03:06 PM CST

Hi Zemis! welcome back!

They definitely changed some of the root mechanics of how Warmgaes worked - but it is arguably far stronger than it was before..

506 is reliant on Air-lore to get good, once you reach the thresholds outlined in the Wiki there's no reason to actually use the quick strike verb unless you want to spend stamina to go-below what 506 natively gives you... at 70 air lore ranks I am happily swinging a maul at 1 second.

Besides the 70 air lore, I'm pumping my other lore ranks into Earth.

Pole-Arms are still very good weapons, I'm using THW - but if I ever find a good Nagi I'd probably switch just for the +20 ADV... at Cap our AS is better than it was - but still reliant on Enhancives to smooth out the gameplay.

Check out 909 evoke! it's super fun - allows you to STOMP or POUND and knock everything in the room down *works better on some mobs than others, uses no RT.
Also 902 evoke will enhance your weapon giving you phantom Weapon ranks in form of a self-buff enhance.

Looking over your skills.. I'd recommend my opinion only!

Combat Maneuvers Definitely want some of this, I know it's hard to afford with Spell aiming also.
Physical Fitness * 1x (For Maneuver defense, and Stamina if you decide GOS/or use Quickstrike)
Arcane Symbols * good, but doesn't need to be any higher since we're not worried about Ruenstaff DS unless you just want more scroll duration.
Magic Item Use * good, but doesn't need to be any higher since we're not worried about Ruenstaff DS unless you want to enchant slightly better
Spell Aiming * useful to for undead mobs, but not necessary at all (I only got spell aiming after hitting cap)
Harness Power * probably don't need to keep doubling Combat Maneuvers is more AS/DS/Maneuver defense
Elemental Mana Control * Good stuff I 1x'd this
Elemental Lore - Air * to reach thresholds you want, aim for each threshold then stop when it feels saucy
Elemental Lore - Earth * go for Strength Thresholds, at cap I'm at 70 air 72 Earth and plan on going the rest Earth after I finish my wiz spell ranks.
Perception * Great
Climb/swim are pretty much same as ever, get what you need, aim for 50 ranks by 90/cap

Major Elemental....................| 27 * try and keep at level
Minor Elemental....................| 36 * until 75 ranks.
Wizard.............................| 37 * no point in going above 919/920/925/930 depending on if you want to do those things for flavor, save any other training in this circle until you hit 101 Major/75 minor.

And again! Welcome back!
Re: Zemis the Dwarven Warmage...returning after a long time away 02/17/2017 04:44 PM CST
Many thanks for all the advice Deck!

I'll carefully look through your notes and apply them. Wow, 70 air lore ranks is a ton! If you don't mind, I've a couple more:

-My naginata is an old style unconverted one from Tykell's that I bought many years ago. Should I "update" it to have the +20avd instead of +20 natural AS?

-Is there an alternate hunting spot you would recommend besides Pinefar (Ice Wraiths, Frozen Corpses, etc.)?

-When there is a fixskills available to the character, is there a way to tell? I asked Simu, but they pointed me to the in-game command.

-How much CM should I train in if I go through with a fixskill at level 44?

Thanks again!
Zemis
Re: Zemis the Dwarven Warmage...returning after a long time away 02/17/2017 07:39 PM CST
Depending on your current swinging speed (AGI / DEX counts, too), you probably need 45 or 65 ranks of Air lore to get to 1 second. Or, alternatively, get it to a two second swing and use a bit of stamina where necessary to reduce to 1 second, not always, but at need - for right now.

And, you should visit the moon (Broken Lands) for a bit while you work things out.

Also, didn't see anything about a society - there are three now (that unnamed unmentionable power / evil one that w don't talk about, Voln that was recently updated, and Guardians of Sunfist that is a new society). You might, as a dwarf, strongly consider the GoS society, if you don't have one or want to change. The benefit, you can get instanced hunting in any town scaled to your training. But - be warned, it's tough to solo.

I like old things, so don't convert the naginata. If you're feeling deprived, get a current one, and locker your existing. You'll be glad you did.

Fixskills are granted every year (May), so you're never more than 12 months unhappy with any decision you might need to make. You always have one, if you haven't used it. Since you just started back up after a hiatus, it's a fair bet you have one. I would personally recommend you use the time between now and April trying out various areas, getting back into the rhythm of things, and enjoying the game. Then, in April, I would recommend you decide what you want to do, and use the fixskill to do it. Then, if something unplanned happens, you will get another fixskill 5/20, and you can make corrections or change back.

As a warmage, to the maximum extent possible you want to be 1x in CM (trained at level). But, between you and I (unconventionally), I would recommend for you a regimen of armor training (get into something like leather breastplate or cuirbouilli), Air Lore, and Physical Fitness to 1x (and kept at 1x) before I'd overly fuss about CMans. You'll want them - but it is easily possible to cap without any and make CMans a post-cap goal.

Doug
Re: Zemis the Dwarven Warmage...returning after a long time away 02/19/2017 07:28 PM CST
Welcome back!

~ Haliste ~
The Forest Gnome of Silverwood Manor
ASGM, Events

Omrii: Okay, thanks Haliste. You're way better than Wyrom.
Re: Zemis the Dwarven Warmage...returning after a long time away 02/21/2017 06:43 PM CST
Thanks Haliste!

Doug,

Thanks very much for the excellent tips!

Once I get my feet back under me, I'm going to heed your advice and try various places, starting with Broken Lands. My only worry with a place like that is the remoteness, should I bite the dust, though I suppose it is probably what also makes it a great spot to hunt.

Yes, I've been in CoL since back in the GS3/GEnie days. I read a little bit about the new GoS society and perhaps I should give it a shot. It might also help renew my passion for the GS game world.

Great point about keeping old things. I was chatting in game with a player that rezzed me my second day back a couple of weeks ago (Hey what better way to chat it up than getting killed right!?) and the first thing he said was my gear was "A blast from the past". I guess it's what happens when you're away for so long.

You have a great point about trying various things, then using the extra one not too far away from the free one we all get in May. My concern currently is that I need to get those 24 ranks of Air lore up to the numbers you mentioned asap as well as those CM ranks of which I have none. I did have some thoughts of trying to make Zemis a pure-caster but I'm quite hesitant...I love slinging bolts and swinging the Naginata just the same.

I have my self-enchanted (6x) doubles and could get started on a LBP enchant project for the future before putting in more armor ranks. I suspect, though, that neglecting my Wizard circle will really lower the % at 6x enchanting? (I probably got pretty lucky with getting my doubles to 6x)

Please let me know if you guys have any other tips... Deck suggested 909 evoked, but I was wondering...will it affect other players walking in on my room or adjacent rooms? I've never liked to use tremors/e-wave much due to that.

Zemis
Re: Zemis the Dwarven Warmage...returning after a long time away 02/21/2017 08:16 PM CST
>Deck suggested 909 evoked, but I was wondering...will it affect other players walking in on my room or adjacent rooms? I've never liked to use tremors/e-wave much due to that.

909 doesn't cause any roundtime - the idea behind using the spell (especially the evoked version) is that you STOMP(foot)/TAP(runestaff)/SLAM (two handed weapon like a maul) and immediately follow up with your next attack.

If someone does walk into your room when you cast 909 or use an evoked version, they're not pinned down with RT. They can quickly stand and be on their way. Just remember that even though you have 909 evoked, to utilize a charge will still cost you mana:

Training in Elemental Mana Control reduces the mana cost of using a charge of the self-cast (evoke) version of the spell by one each at 75 ranks and 150 ranks.
Elemental Mana Control ranks 0 75 150
Self-cast charge activation mana cost 5 4 3

And the evoked version only gives 1 quake, so make sure you're ready to immediately follow up the quake with an attack. It's a great setup tool in a lot of hunting places, so play with it and find a good hunting method to add it to your arsenal.

-Drumpel
Re: Zemis the Dwarven Warmage...returning after a long time away 02/21/2017 09:28 PM CST
Good stuff Drumpel, thank you! I will definitely give it a try.

-Zemis