Thinking About Society Change 09/20/2016 10:43 AM CDT
So my wizard joined the secret society, oh, 10+ years ago when Voln was the only alternative. It seems Voln got improved a bit since then. Does it makes sense for to switch over and give that a go? Or should I stick with what I already have?
Re: Thinking About Society Change 09/20/2016 11:26 AM CDT
Tough call! I'd almost put this in the realm of 'personal choice' now. The mechanical benefits between the three societies have been somewhat equalized with the new Voln update. There may be a slight mechanical edge depending on how you play, but it's almost not worth worrying about in my personal view.

Doug
Re: Thinking About Society Change 09/20/2016 12:23 PM CDT
I did the secret society with my wizard when he could first join up - back before the bath house change. I didn't like the idea of all the steps and necessary things you had to do to join Voln, plus being limited to favor based on undead you killed.

A few years passed and I found the ability to regain mana didn't do my wizard much good from the secret society, especially being a dark elf. It was a chore to find out how to resign from it back then, but the way you do it was fun and something I'll always remember.

I ventured to Voln and joined up after that. Hunting undead is easy for a wizard, as long as you have mana and are good at casting bolt spells. It was an easy fit for him and I have a viable way to regain mana (though I haven't used it in a long time) from Voln that doesn't hinder my bolting AS.

My wizard is the only one that I've ever taken through Voln. Any other character visits the secret society because it's easier....also, I'm too lazy to try GoS or work my way through Voln again.

If you think the minor adjustment to AS/DS boosts are worth it or some other ability you need is necessary, then go for it. I probably wouldn't worry about it. Though, I do have to say I greatly enjoy Symbol of Return. It's a lot more user friendly, in my opinion, over what the secret society offers.

-Drumpel
Re: Thinking About Society Change 09/20/2016 01:51 PM CDT
CoL is better at lower levels when mana is an issue and wracking is a life saver.

Once mana isn't so much of an issue, Voln is better in almost every way.

Being able to teleport to hunting areas is awesome too especially at cap, even moreso if you play at work and want to be in and out of a hunt quickly.

The only thing CoL really has going for it is wracking. Almost everything else it has that isn't useless, the other societies have something similar and/or better.

~ Methais
Re: Thinking About Society Change 09/20/2016 02:01 PM CDT

have stayed with CoL because halfling spirit regeneration is fastest of all races - hate to give up one of the advantages
and am too lazy to change :)

rarely have to wrack anymore in a typical solo hunt but before cap wracked all the time

rtune
Re: Thinking About Society Change 09/20/2016 02:56 PM CDT
>have stayed with CoL because halfling spirit regeneration is fastest of all races - hate to give up one of the advantages
and am too lazy to change :)

>rarely have to wrack anymore in a typical solo hunt but before cap wracked all the time

Not that there's anything wrong with CoL, but if all you're really getting from CoL are the AS/DS signs (since you don't wrack much anymore), you're kind of shorting yourself.

You'd be surprised how fast you can plow through Voln on plane 5, and I'm extremely lazy. :P

~ Methais
Re: Thinking About Society Change 09/20/2016 03:11 PM CDT

you are probably right about shorting myself - will have to look at plusses and minuses
but am comfortable with hunting abilities using CoL - can keep all signs running indefinately without spirit decreasing bolts
plus instantly restoring health while not bleeding has saved me too many times to think about

but am open to it

rtune
Re: Thinking About Society Change 09/20/2016 03:21 PM CDT
>Not that there's anything wrong with CoL, but if all you're really getting from CoL are the AS/DS signs (since you don't wrack much anymore), you're kind of shorting yourself.

You're clearly shorting yourself 9 AS/DS, but to each their own. :) I disagree that Voln is the clear winner.
Re: Thinking About Society Change 09/20/2016 04:00 PM CDT
>You're clearly shorting yourself 9 AS/DS, but to each their own. :) I disagree that Voln is the clear winner.

Against undead, Voln still comes out slightly ahead on AS due to Symbol of Supremacy, which is another +13 AS/CS vs. undead. I hardly use it though despite that due to its shorter duration and additional favor cost.

Societies are more of a personal preference than anything else anyway. None of the societies are going to make or break anyone's character.

That said, Voln has saved me from getting killed more times than I can count, between transcendence, restoration, return, etc., and the convenience of symbol of seeking is really awesome to me. Going from town to the Rift or Nelemar in under 5 seconds is probably the biggest reason why I made the switch, and piling up favor is cake especially if you go to plane 5 where everything dies as soon as you walk in the room.

I thought I was going to miss wracking a lot, but I haven't really missed it at all.

CoL is probably due for some buffs like what Voln got a few years ago.

~ Methais
Re: Thinking About Society Change 09/20/2016 04:08 PM CDT
>Against undead, Voln still comes out slightly ahead on AS due to Symbol of Supremacy, which is another +13 AS/CS vs. undead. I hardly use it though despite that due to its shorter duration and additional favor cost.

I hate undead!

>Societies are more of a personal preference than anything else anyway. None of the societies are going to make or break anyone's character.

I agree.

>CoL is probably due for some buffs like what Voln got a few years ago.

Why do you keep asking for reviews?! :P
Re: Thinking About Society Change 09/20/2016 04:27 PM CDT
>Not that there's anything wrong with CoL, but if all you're really getting from CoL are the AS/DS signs (since you don't wrack much anymore), you're kind of shorting yourself.

How so?
Re: Thinking About Society Change 09/20/2016 05:34 PM CDT
>Why do you keep asking for reviews?! :P

I said buffs, not review! Last year we learned that "review" means "nerf". :(

>How so?

Based on my own experience, the only real use I got from CoL that Voln didn't already have something similar or better for was wracking. Staunching is great too, but restoration is basically unlimited HP, end result of not dying is the wsame. Once mana wasn't really an issue for me anymore, wracking rarely got used. And if you're bolting, you won't be bolting for a while after wracking.

CoL isn't bad, I just get a lot more use out of Voln whether I'm hunting living or undead.

~ Methais
Re: Thinking About Society Change 09/20/2016 07:30 PM CDT
Voln always fit more with my style of RP for my characters.
Having recently returned, I no longer feel like my RP is hurting me. I actually prefer Voln over COL, for both RP and mechanics.

That said, I always picked Voln for RP reasons in the past. With the two getting so much closer, mechanically, I now feel RP is the only reason to choose one over the other.

And Voln isn't difficult to master at all, it just takes a bit of time. Kill undead, perform step, repeat. I actually enjoy the steps, as they add a bit of unique lore to the game. That said, if you don't like them, I think about 22-24 of them can be done in seconds with a script.