Quick questions about lores 09/25/2015 02:51 PM CDT
I'm sure it was mentioned somewhere before, but I haven't the heart to try and figure what folder/topic it may have been mentioned in.

Do lore benefits work if someone else casts the spell?

Here's what I mean.

Bob, he's got 50 ranks of Earth Lore. Bob is a Bard. Bob has no ability to cast Strength (509) himself, so employees his Wizard friend, Jim, to cast him some strength.

So, Jim casts 509 at Bob a bunch. Now Bob has 4 hours of strength spell time active. Does Bob get his lore ranks to boost the AS bonus of Strength? If he does, does he get the full Benefit of his 50 ranks (would be a extra +4 to AS) or does he only get 25 ranks (would be an extra +2 to AS) like MIU and Lores: 509 is MjE, so you only get 1/2 your lore ranks applied to the benefits?

OR

Does Bob get no added bonus from his lore ranks since the spell was not self cast or derived from MIU?

-Drumpel
Re: Quick questions about lores 09/25/2015 03:29 PM CDT
As far as I know, all applicable lore bonuses apply when a spell is cast on another.

I think it'd be helpful to know if that is 'still accurate', and I think it would be helpful to know if there are any exceptions.

Doug
Re: Quick questions about lores 09/25/2015 03:37 PM CDT
Per the wikki, the lore benefit for strength is a self cast benefit only:

"The lore benefit is only seen when the spell is used on the caster, not when cast on others."

https://gswiki.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/509

Lore benefits tend to be spell specific (in terms of how/when they apply to others) so I would suggest checking the wikki vs. trying to come up with a rule of thumb for this.

-- Robert

Fluke in the programming, or just your average everyday Konacode? ~ Konacon
Re: Quick questions about lores 09/25/2015 03:40 PM CDT
Thanks for the reminder, Robert.

Hopefully the lore review will catch these edge cases and convert them to a standard. There's no justification for this (and plenty of justification to encourage training points spent by permitting it). I'm fairly sure that would hold true in every tested case, if there are any more of these.

Off to check. . .

Doug
Re: Quick questions about lores 09/25/2015 04:16 PM CDT
>> Hopefully the lore review will catch these edge cases and convert them to a standard.

I'm not sure there is a 'standard' to convert the 'edge' cases too:

Released as part of the ELR for 911:

Training in Elemental Lore, Air increases dodge ranks by +1 per seed 1 summation bonus. This bonus is self-cast only, the unmodified bonus will still be applied to any party members normally.

Current implementation of Haste (506):

The skills of the person benefiting from the spell are used for this formula, not those of the caster.

ELR: Lore benefit for having 401/406/414 up

The ability to get a 5% chance for a magical barrier to deflect a single physical (AS/DS) attack is unlocked at 25 Elemental Lore, Earth ranks, if the caster has all 3 Elemental Defense spells active and has the knowledge to cast all of them.

-- Robert

Fluke in the programming, or just your average everyday Konacode? ~ Konacon
Re: Quick questions about lores 09/25/2015 04:57 PM CDT
>>I'm not sure

I'm going to have to work on my PR campaign mechanics, I can see!

Anyway (I have to work on no longer getting distracted by reason), I agree with your reasoning.

So step 1 of the 12 step program is now defined as:
1) Don't let well-reasoned positions distract one from the goal.

I'll work on that a while - in the meantime, I think it'd be uber-spiffy (tm) if Lores were consistently applied based on Lores known for all spells.

Doug
Re: Quick questions about lores 09/25/2015 10:11 PM CDT
It's working, I'm convinced!

Let others reap the benefits of my lore, and praise me for all time!