Society 01/01/2013 01:32 PM CST
What society should a wizard join? I know one is better for mana and it seems like I get another potential +59 AS out of it, but is there any reason I should choose Voln over that whopping +59 AS? shrugs I also want to enchant and charge items as well of course. I don't know...
Re: Society 01/01/2013 01:42 PM CST
What society should a wizard join? I know one is better for mana and it seems like I get another potential +59 AS out of it, but is there any reason I should choose Voln over that whopping +59 AS? shrugs I also want to enchant and charge items as well of course. I don't know...

That +50 AS you're considering only lasts 15 seconds and drains you of 3 spirit. Meaning that when it ends, you'll spend at the time it takes you to recover at least 1 spirit point casting with a gimp AS. If you're an elf, it's upwards of 3 minutes.

Consider CoL 9 AS over Voln for living, and trailing for undead.

Dgry
Re: Society 01/01/2013 02:18 PM CST
There are 3 societies; with the new update to Voln symbols it's pretty much a toss up. The 9 difference in AS between Voln and CoL masters is pretty miniscule when compared with the ability to LK yourself and call for help when you are dead; on the other hand, you need to hunt undead a lot in order to power your symbols. Like the previous poster, I pretty much ignore Sign of Madness for CoL, since it will take you out of effective combat for a while afterwards.

GoS seems to hate trolls a lot, so the ability to use fire spells is a plus there. Also if you want a like level hunting ground generated at will, just hit a warcamp. CoL is good for basically unlimited mana from wracking (unless you are a wimpy elf type who gets spirt back slowly); wizards tend to need this ability less than other spell casters, however, since they can also use mana leech.

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: Society 01/01/2013 03:11 PM CST
When it comes to bolt AS how does GoS compare with Voln? I do like the hunting area perk though to be sure... Is the gen for them real good?
Re: Society 01/01/2013 03:51 PM CST
Same as CoL, I believe (+35), unless you're talking undead, where Voln is +39 (instead of +26).

But I think you're looking at it all wrong. Look at things besides AS (hunting grounds could work, I suppose, but there's so much more.)

Doug
Re: Society 01/01/2013 04:10 PM CST
Tough call.

COL hasn't received a review, so the list of abilities is typical of early GS design. You want +35 AS/DS, +20 bolt DS, and +15 TD? No problem! But it's going to require EIGHT symbols to do it. Why? Well, we could have designed 8 uniquely useful symbols, but instead we decided that we'd rather fill the entire list with redundant abilities that all do the same thing and are similar and do the same thing, right? Nice! And they'll ding you again with the signs of clotting and staunching. These are even better because they do exactly the same thing, but one has double the duration. Woohoo! Fortunately, the few abilities you DO get are quite good!

Here's a list of the bonuses you'll actually care about:

Sign of Healing - 2 spirit points restores your health to full instantly.

Sign of Wracking - 5 spirit points restores mana to full instantly.

Combat stat boosts - +35 AS/DS, +20 bolt DS, +15 TD

Sign of Staunching - 1 mana stops all bleeding for 20s/level.

You may also get some use out of Sign of Darkness (6 spirit cost self-only teleport) and there may be a new application for the Sign of Hopelessness. Not sure on this, but it used to just cause a spirit death but now Krakiipedia says you can use it while dead to cause a decay. However, it doesn't specify whether this allows you to avoid the additional penalties associated with departing early. That would at least make it useful for saving time when you die in places like the scatter (why wait 32 minutes when you know nobody is coming?).

Not sure about GOS and Voln. Voln is looking good now, but I can't give up wracking. I like it too much!

~Taverkin
Re: Society 01/01/2013 07:02 PM CST
GoS has plenty of options, but its partially dependent upon your choice of race, because Stamina is a major factor. All the GoS sigils run on Stamina and Mana, but the mana costs are not particularly severe most of the time.

Some notable Sigils:

Generic +20 AS/+20 DS powers

- 1 minute duration +5 AS power and a 1 minute +10 AS power that add heavy crit weighting against any hated enemy (includes a lot of enemies, but hardly all, and very few undead)
- 1 minute duration +5 DS power and a 1 minute +10 DS power that add heavy crit padding, stackable to 3 minutes
- 1 minute duration +20 to TD, stackable to 3 minutes

Concentration = Ten minute power that gives +5 mana per pulse, runs on stamina alone.

Power = Turns 50 stamina into 25 mana.

Mending = Gives +15 health regen per minute, and all herbs give 3 RT without training in first aid

Determination = Allows you to do actions unhindered by wounds, including casting with injuries, but it can't negate rank 3 wounds.

Resolve = Phantom 10 ranks to Climbing, Swimming and Survival.

Health = Basically like Voln's healing power, but runs on mana/stamina

Escape = Non-group teleportation power, can be used 1x a day while stunned/webbed/etc, but burns nerves, all mana, stamina, etc and can't use it for 24 hours.

The more stamina you have, the more you will be able to generate mana from Sigil of Power, and thus the more easily you can make up for not having Wracking. I know that even on my Dark Elf with 105 Stamina, I regen 50 Stamina every two minutes, so its an extra 25 mana every pulse, plus another 5 due to Concentration. In other words, 30 more mana per pulse.
Re: Society 01/01/2013 10:52 PM CST
How hard is it to make it as a wizard with no society at all?
Re: Society 01/01/2013 11:18 PM CST
Actually, it's not. Have some (wizard and empath, actually) that aren't.

Especially if you have a bit of patience. For example, more friends and more time are required for recharging sessions. Not a bit impact to enchanting. May be a bit slower / less efficient in hunting, but I'm the romantic in the crowd that says 'go for it!'

In fact, I was toying around with the idea of middle age crisis and old age wisdom, and actually taking a character through all three, purposefully through roleplay. Ultimately to declare them all shams.

Haven't found the time, just yet, though.

Doug