Taking a step back 10/02/2012 02:41 PM CDT
Recently found I had a fix skills floating around and was wondering since
I've been away for a bit if my training is still decent for my level or if
I should look at moving stuff around. Curious if its work keeping 2x MIU,AS
or bump up EMC to 2x with recent spell durations and mana per pulse, etc.
Also wondering if this would affect my runestaff DS if I dropped the ranks that much?
Any feedback would be great! Thanks.

(at level 89), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 40 8
Physical Fitness...................| 191 91
Arcane Symbols.....................| 282 182
Magic Item Use.....................| 282 182
Spell Aiming.......................| 282 182
Harness Power......................| 191 91
Elemental Mana Control.............| 191 91
Perception.........................| 191 91
Climbing...........................| 140 40
Swimming...........................| 140 40

Spell Lists
Major Elemental....................| 88

Spell Lists
Minor Elemental....................| 75

Spell Lists
Wizard.............................| 80
Training Points: 49 Phy 0 Mnt (2384 Phy converted to Mnt)
Re: Taking a step back 10/02/2012 04:45 PM CDT
All and all your training looks just fine. There are lots of suggestions people can offer, but knowing your goals for the character would help a lot in determining what to suggest. Do you want to focus primarily on hunting? Enchanting? Or somewhere in the middle? You are well past the point of being able to enchant regular 7x without failure but enchanting fusion or enhancive items may interest you. How do you like to hunt? Is there one particular bolt you favor over another, to where you may consider training in some lores for it?

The only thing I find odd about your training is 8 ranks of armor, you need 4 for fulls, 15 for doubles. Perhaps you wear reinforced leathers?
Re: Taking a step back 10/02/2012 04:54 PM CDT
<<The only thing I find odd about your training is 8 ranks of armor, you need 4 for fulls, 15 for doubles. Perhaps you wear reinforced leathers?

8 ranks is to train away the penalty of "not being fully trained" for doubles, as far as maneuvers and such are concerned. But it takes 15 ranks to get to the minimum spell hindrance with doubles for MjE and Wizard Base. So that's most likely why. Or it be just for reinforced leathers.

~Aulis
Forums Manager
QC'er
Re: Taking a step back 10/02/2012 05:14 PM CDT
Your training is decent, for a wimpy pure twig user, but there are some holes in it. (We all know that THW warmage is the uber way to go!) You might consider getting some CM skills, and dumping it into learning cunning defence; the main bane of pure casters is maneuvers, after all. I also notice that you have ... no lores whatsoever?? Get 24 ranks of air lore to maxiimize your haste, and also increase your disk size a bit. Even if you don't use weapons, haste cuts down on RT from the effects of enemy maneuvers and such, so you want the maximum benefit. Then consider going for earth or fire lore (increased effectiveness of stone skin and hurl boulder, or damage from fire attacks).

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: Taking a step back 10/02/2012 07:19 PM CDT

If your goal for training in EMC is mostly based on mana per pulse, then I'd suggest doubling in Harness Power instead. The multi cast bonus is pretty nifty, but at cap, you're going to have enough single ranks in EMC to do a 4 hour cast of whatever you want as it is.

If you're wanting to get the extra Mana Spellup then that would be a good investment. Not that it wouldn't be neat to have, but I'd probably rate the bonus to 540 higher than the extra Mana Spellup though.
Re: Taking a step back 10/02/2012 08:15 PM CDT
Thank you all for the excellent feedback I guess I left out a bit of info as far as my goals, hunting, etc.
Currently bolt hunting w/ acid and rapid fire in the Bowels but starting to get tired of instant deaths w/ stone fists..
I heard the Rift or OTF is the next place to go so I don't know if I need to change up my hunting strategy..currently I'm just enchanting
up to 7x on reg gear w/ no issues at the moment but would like to try fusion items, maybe try with some gear from EB coming up. I plan on taking
armor use to 15 ranks now (thought 8 was the goal for doubles) also going to take air lore up to 24 ranks. I was holding off on any other lore training
till our lore review and I doubt that will happen before the next fixskills is ready :D I'm liking the advice to train in CM for cdefense..question though..if
I drop MIU and AS down to say 100 ranks or so to be just 1x how much impact will that be to my DS? Or am I so over trained in magic ranks that it wouldn't matter much?

I do plan on being in the middle of the road though as far as hunting and enchanting..I would like to keep doing 7x regular/poss. fusion gear.

So after reading the feedback would this be work out better? Or would I be worse off w/ a bigger disk and extra haste? :P

Ranks
Armor Use 15
Physical Fitness 91
Arcane Symbols 91
Magic Item Use 91
Spell Aiming 182
Harness Power. 91
Elemental Mana Control 91
Perception 91
Climbing 40
Swimming 40
Elemental Lore - Air 24

Spell Lists
Major Elemental 89

Spell Lists
Minor Elemental 75

Spell Lists
Wizard. 85

I agree CM would be nice but the cost to get over 2 ranks would probably kill my skills in other areas no? Maybe a post cap goal?
Re: Taking a step back 10/03/2012 02:05 AM CDT

The Combat Maneuver ranks won't help much in the Rift. Cost to benifet, I'd put them as a post cap goal unless you plan on using a melee weapon at some point. Bandit tasks will be a little easier, as will resisting maneuvers. This will not give you anything like great odds at not having a square build creature use combat maneuvers against you. It will just give you a better chance of resisting it. I'm firmly in the camp that thinks that the best defense is making sure the bad things don't get the chance to hurt you.

My opinion is that 24 ranks in Air Lore is a great investment. 505 (Tonis Bolt) is one of my go to spells, however it may not work as well with Rapid Fire as it doesn't have a great DF against a lot of armor types without a lot of lore training. The extra second off round time is nothing to scoff at though.

Your Wizard spell are high enough that I doubt the loss to your DS will impact your ability to hunt at all. Being 1x in AS/MIU with far fewer wizard spell ranks is still viable so you probably won't even notice the difference.

As to enchanting, your wizard spell ranks are easily adequate for doing 7x enchantments. I can't speak for fusion items though. I'm pretty sure Rimalon did some research on it when the potions were first released. Might be some other folks that could offer advice on this.
Re: Taking a step back 10/03/2012 08:55 AM CDT
The training looks good. I would recommend 24 ranks in air lore at the very least. Tonis bolt is a very useful spell.

As to your problem with stone fist? If you don't mind slowing down a little and taking your time, you can use PEER to scout adjacent rooms and then just run a simple script that walks into the room and e-waves immediately. That should cut down the time window for stone fist as your reaction time is basically instantaneous. Something like this should work...

put %1
put incant 410
put release
exit

Then just name the script for just a letter or something. Like "x". That way you PEER west, see a Jarl or Elder, and just type .x w and the script will have them on the ground in RT with only a fraction of a second vulnerability. You can also use this with 417 to turn the tables on those dispel-happy creatures like lost souls or dogmatists that are such a major risk for rapid fire hunters. You could even write the script like this to allow you to set whatever spell you like:

IF_2 GOTO SETVAR

put %1
put incant %castspell
put release
exit

SETVAR:
SETVARIABLE castspell %2
exit

Pretty handy and should cut down on some deaths if you don't mind slowing your roll a bit and using PEER.

~Taverkin
Re: Taking a step back 10/03/2012 09:13 AM CDT
I would recommend 24 ranks in air lore at the very least. Tonis bolt is a very useful spell.

One clarification: 20 ranks of air lore gets you tonis bolt, 24 ranks gets you an additional second RT reduction from haste, and air lore adds to the DF of various spells (tonis bolt, minor shock, major shock, cone of lightning), as well as effecting floating disk, call wind, slow, and sand storm.

Read here for more detail: http://www.krakiipedia.org/wiki/Elemental_Lore,_Air

The TL;DR version is that air lore is very, very useful.

-Taakhooshi, and Me

For the Story of Taakhooshi:
http://www.gsguide.net/index.php?title=Taakhooshi
Re: Taking a step back 10/03/2012 11:33 AM CDT
No idea what kind of pour modifications you have right now but one thing to keep in mind with enchanting fusion is that the pre-temper potions have a -200 mod when using them.
Re: Taking a step back 10/03/2012 02:17 PM CDT

You pour your potion on the plate.
1d100: 6 + Modifiers: 327 == 333

Material is imflass. Seems a bit over kill eh? :D
Re: Taking a step back 10/03/2012 02:19 PM CDT
I pretty much do this method minus the scripting, it's mainly they don't do any kind of casting prep, they instant boil or fist even right after an e-wave. I find it kind of bogus but I heard it's the typical BS of the Bowels, looking forward to moving on soon.
Re: Taking a step back 10/03/2012 06:21 PM CDT
Well, if you're looking for something safer than the bowels (for a wizard, at least!), try plane 5 of the Rift. With the right strategy, it's one of the safest places I've hunted in my 93 levels.

Look me up some time in Icemule. I can show you around there if you like.

~Taverkin
Re: Taking a step back 10/04/2012 10:00 AM CDT
>>Material is imflass. Seems a bit over kill eh? :D

For normal enchanting, yes. For fusion, your modifier on a pretemper potion would have only been 127, not so much over kill there.