Red Forest - Dreamvines 10/05/2017 05:36 AM CDT
Any have suggestions for avoiding these (other than, uh, avoiding them)? I've tried hunting my level 65 sorcerer there a few times and everytime I even try to move through a room with the dreamvine I get immediately brought to the ground and then killed by a creature. It's ridiculous. I've only just returned to the game after a 2 year absence and was excited to see this new area by the Landing but am thinking I'll just go back to the temple.
Re: Red Forest - Dreamvines 10/05/2017 05:20 PM CDT
Peer into the next room before going in.
Re: Red Forest - Dreamvines 10/09/2017 04:52 AM CDT
Could do that but seems pretty silly to have to avoid them altogether because of certain death. Maybe if I was massively overhunting the area. These things need to be tweaked down a little if you can't even enter a room with one in it.
Re: Red Forest - Dreamvines 10/09/2017 09:34 AM CDT
Well, they're maneuver-based and you're a pure who's not an empath, so they'll be an issue, yes. I will say I'd much rather have trouble with the dreamvines that are avoidable than the creatures in that part of the Red Forest, though--and a lot of professions have trouble with those creatures! That area is notorious.
Re: Red Forest - Dreamvines 01/12/2018 08:53 AM CST
This is probably dated / irrelevant by now being a few months ago, but if you peer ahead and see a dreamvine, it will almost never grab you if you immediately pass into the next room. At Level 65 you were presumably in one of the two rings, where you can always walk around that room until it de-spawns. In a given hunting section of the forest there is only ever one writhing dreamvine, so when you know where it is you just avoid it. That is probably true in the rings, I just do not know off the top of my head.

With a sorcerer I found the dire creatures too dangerous even with Dreavenings, though maybe with lots of 711 Pain it could have worked out. With the Ilvari and treekin where there are also dreamvines I was overhunting, once figuring out a tactic mix that works, with most deaths being pure bad luck with major e-waves or maneuvers.

- Xorus' player

(tl;dr All of the RT locks in the Red Forest are really lethal, but the dreamvines are one of the easiest to avoid.)

"(If you really want to understand Marlu, I suggest reading "The Call of Cthulhu" by H.P. Lovecraft.)" - Varevice (2000)
Re: Red Forest - Dreamvines 01/12/2018 08:57 AM CST
Additional suggestion: hunt with a Bard, benefit from Song of Tonis in addition to higher spawn rates for there being "someone other than just you" in the area.
When all of your RTs are at -3s, it's a MUCH easier place to work with. :)
Doesn't help with casting, though. :(