Prev_page Previous 1
New Hunting Grounds: The Red Forest! 07/06/2016 11:42 PM CDT
A new set of hunting grounds have been released: the Red Forest!

These level 60-83 hunting grounds contain many dangerous woodland creatures, including: direbears, direwolves, warped tree spirits, the long-lost Ilvari, and the tyrannical treekin!

The forest itself once existed near what is now the Elven Village near Wehnimer's Landing, but was banished from Elanthia many years ago during an enchanted lunar alignment, becoming accessible only during the rare repeats of that alignment. However, the recent collision of Elanthia and the Elemental Confluence has unleashed unstable planar energies that disrupted the repeat of the enchanted alignment, tearing the forest from its realm of banishment, and imperfectly placing it back into Elanthia. This imperfect return has resulted in an eerily similar forest also appearing on the Aradhul Road near Ta'Vaalor.

For those who dare to explore this enchanted forest, one must first brave the thick fog that permeates these woods (a Survival/Perception check) and then face the dangerous creatures that lurk within!

Thanks go to GMs Kenstrom and Mazreth for their help on this project!

Coase
Re: New Hunting Grounds: The Red Forest! 07/07/2016 12:03 AM CDT
SWEET!!

Looks awesome, we're testing it out now... :3

-- Wheels & Skulls Department

"Bring me your suffering. The rattle roar of broken bones. Bring me the riot in your heart... Angry, wild, and raw. I am not afraid of the dark." -- mia hollow
[ https://carrionkissingchaos.wordpress.com ]
Re: New Hunting Grounds: The Red Forest! 07/07/2016 12:11 AM CDT
From the exploration I've done, it looks amazing -- loresongs to explore, exciting new enemies to kill, wonderfully eerie environments, it's just got everything!

Deeply jealous of everyone who can still take advantage of it, level-wise. It looks fantastic! :)
Re: New Hunting Grounds: The Red Forest! 07/07/2016 01:09 AM CDT
Well. It looks like I will have Wiki pages to update...

+1 on the dreamvines. I love dreamvines.

- Xorus' player

>Level: 46
>Strongest foe vanquished: an infernal lich
Re: New Hunting Grounds: The Red Forest! 07/07/2016 01:25 AM CDT
Already found a lot of neat features in this new ground... wow! I look forward to exploring it more later when it's not full of people and swarming so much.

Thanks for all the work that went into this.

And most of all, THANK YOU for doing something about the notorious undead gap! The warped tree spirits appear to be level 68 (most commonly), and this goes a long way to closing that age-old 63-75 gap.

<3 <3 <3
Re: New Hunting Grounds: The Red Forest! 07/07/2016 01:30 AM CDT
Roblar got killed, it's officially legit now... admittedly, it was from a box, I think, but TECHNICALITY.

"Bring me your suffering. The rattle roar of broken bones. Bring me the riot in your heart... Angry, wild, and raw. I am not afraid of the dark." -- mia hollow
Re: New Hunting Grounds: The Red Forest! 07/07/2016 01:35 AM CDT
Also, Public Service Announcement: If your weapon gets turned into a banana or some such by a tricksy pixie (ye gods, I love those creatures and their pranks), DO NOT PANIC -- play with your banana a bit, and you'll figure out that it's not lost permanently!

Re: New Hunting Grounds: The Red Forest! 07/07/2016 01:47 AM CDT
>> DO NOT PANIC -- play with your banana a bit,

Always sound advice, that

Fyonn's player
Re: New Hunting Grounds: The Red Forest! 07/07/2016 02:20 AM CDT
>> DO NOT PANIC -- play with your banana a bit,

I just thought they were all happy to see me.

- Xorus' player

Re: New Hunting Grounds: The Red Forest! 07/07/2016 04:56 AM CDT
This is really cool. The poisons and enchantments of the area temporarily change your statistics.

Those bush berries hit your stamina and 1 health point at 0 dissipation per round.

- Xorus' player

Re: New Hunting Grounds: The Red Forest! 07/07/2016 09:01 AM CDT
>Also, Public Service Announcement: If your weapon gets turned into a banana or some such by a tricksy pixie (ye gods, I love those creatures and their pranks), DO NOT PANIC -- play with your banana a bit, and you'll figure out that it's not lost permanently!

I don't understand. I play with my banana already, sometimes 2-3 times a day!

~ Methais
Re: New Hunting Grounds: The Red Forest! 07/07/2016 10:09 AM CDT
"once existed near what is now the Elven Village near Wehnimer's Landing, but was banished from Elanthia many years ago during an enchanted lunar alignment, becoming accessible only during the rare repeats of that alignment." -- Coase

Sssoooo... Brigadoon?

Has anyone seen any indications that the eerie similarity might mean that the 'two' areas are in fact the same? Seeing people known to be in the other one? Mirror images of themselves walking both forward and back down the same trail at the same time? :)
Re: New Hunting Grounds: The Red Forest! 07/07/2016 10:13 AM CDT

>Also, Public Service Announcement: If your weapon gets turned into a banana or some such by a tricksy pixie (ye gods, I love those creatures and their pranks), DO NOT PANIC -- play with your banana a bit, and you'll figure out that it's not lost permanently!<

Odd, I ended up with my great axe still in hands and the huge banana. Must be my high skill in dexterity.

Cryheart
Re: New Hunting Grounds: The Red Forest! 07/07/2016 01:13 PM CDT
New Wiki pages for the area:

https://gswiki.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Category:Red_Forest_creatures - area info

https://gswiki.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Direbear
https://gswiki.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Ilvari_pixie
https://gswiki.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Ilvari_sprite
https://gswiki.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Monstrous_direwolf
https://gswiki.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Treekin_druid
https://gswiki.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Treekin_warrior
https://gswiki.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Warped_tree_spirit
https://gswiki.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Winged_viper

Anymore new creature pages needed?
Re: New Hunting Grounds: The Red Forest! 07/07/2016 02:44 PM CDT

Is this new hunting ground included in the adventure guild yet? If it isn't will it be? Does it require any item like the confluence requires a soulstone to get confluence bounties? Does it require a skill check to get the bounties?

GBB

Place looks great look forward to taking my paladin, warrior, and sorcerer through there in the next year.
Re: New Hunting Grounds: The Red Forest! 07/07/2016 08:42 PM CDT
Any chance to get a 60 undead mob put in that first ring?

http://i.imgur.com/lsWPzG9.gif
Re: New Hunting Grounds: The Red Forest! 07/08/2016 07:09 AM CDT
<<Has anyone seen any indications that the eerie similarity might mean that the 'two' areas are in fact the same? Seeing people known to be in the other one? Mirror images of themselves walking both forward and back down the same trail at the same time? :)>> - KRAKII

I was wondering the same thing, but at the moment I can only poke around there on the mostly empty test server, unless I want to waste a ton of deeds.

Most of my Wiki edits lately have been about transient spaces coexisting in more than one place/time. So this is prolly my 2016 highlight.

- Xorus' player

Re: New Hunting Grounds: The Red Forest! 07/08/2016 10:45 AM CDT

Kudos for the new hunting area love it, now how about invasions before 9 pm for us that have to get sleep like say east coasters?
Re: New Hunting Grounds: The Red Forest! 07/08/2016 12:23 PM CDT
It sounds awesome and I'm stoked to check it out. It also seems to have nearly closed the undead gap with those level 68 undead!!!!!!!
Re: New Hunting Grounds: The Red Forest! 07/08/2016 09:24 PM CDT
Thank you thank you thank you! Great hunting area close to home. Also picking up some nice fletching material while actually earning some exp. While I like glossy black raptor feathers I can actually level gathering pure white feathers.

To echo the Wiki Witch of the East, will there be AG tasks for this new area? It would be awesome if so.

Chad, player of a few
Re: New Hunting Grounds: The Red Forest! 07/08/2016 10:27 PM CDT

(Wehnimer's Landing AG)
You have been tasked to recover a delicate silver link necklace that an unfortunate citizen lost after being attacked by a treekin warrior in the Red Forest near Wehnimer's Landing. The heirloom can be identified by the initials KR engraved upon it. Hunt down the creature and LOOT the item from its corpse.

Bounties for the Red Forest exist... Now, If could I just find the entrance.
Re: New Hunting Grounds: The Red Forest! 07/09/2016 12:25 AM CDT
When updating the wiki, I noticed that creature heights here do not agree with each other:

R>wtr app war
The treekin warrior is large in size, about sixteen feet high in its current state, appears to be of extremely hardy constitution, is in an offensive stance, and is in relatively good shape.

R>desc warrior
Standing approximately twelve feet tall, the treekin warrior towers menacingly before you. Lambent yellow eyes and thick leg-shaped roots make it clear that this is no ordinary tree. Leaves cover the warrior from head to trunk, with two arm-shaped branches protruding from the canopy. Numerous gashes and chips indicate that this particular specimen has seen much combat in the past.

And yes, there are AG tasks, at least in Ta'Vaalor.
Re: New Hunting Grounds: The Red Forest! 07/09/2016 03:03 PM CDT
Greatly disliking the fog mechanics. The fact that I am well-trained as a sorcerer to hunt the creatures in the area, but the fog causes me injuries frequently, is a major deterrent to my interest in this hunting ground. At 78 trains with 80 ranks of perception, but no ranks of survival (that's because I'm a SORCERER) I find myself covered in minors trying to enter the area. Once I finally get to the final circle within to hunt the treekin, which I am getting bounties for, I am usually just injured with minors, but sometimes I finally make it there and find I have a major injury on my neck, eyes, or head - which prevents me from casting.

Now I have to leave, get heal up, and then hope I can get back into an area I should be perfectly equipped to handle...

Then -- add in CHILD RESCUE bounty, and you're looking at hell. I managed to get the child out with the following injuries:

Major Head Wound
Major Neck Wound
Major Right Leg Wound
Minors in -every other area-

That seems over-tuned to me. This shouldn't be a skill check - but a level check. Or factor in skills people train for other hunting areas (climbing or swimming) to make up for the lack of survival skill ranks...
Re: New Hunting Grounds: The Red Forest! 07/09/2016 04:00 PM CDT
>> At 78 trains with 80 ranks of perception, but no ranks of survival (that's because I'm a SORCERER)

There are areas that are much lower that require at least a small amount of survival. 10-20 ranks may do wonders. That was my experience with the Teras Lava Flows at any rate (level 50ish area).

>> Now I have to leave, get heal up, and then hope I can get back into an area I should be perfectly equipped to handle...

If you are dead set against training any survival, carrying an assortment of herbs might solve the problem for you. As a sorcerer, they won't even weigh that much in the right container.

-- Robert

A powerful whirlpool is suddenly overtaken by a windy vortex!
Re: New Hunting Grounds: The Red Forest! 07/09/2016 05:28 PM CDT
I hunted the lava flows for months with this character and never had a single point of survival. Same with hunting in mule. There is no survival check to enter those areas. Getting injured due to lack of survival skill was easy to fix when you could return to the hunt without any difficulty.

If the fog was just a passive environment that caused you damage occasionally, that would be fine. But as a barrier it makes the area much less accessible to your average spell casting types that focus on magic and not tertiary skills.
Re: New Hunting Grounds: The Red Forest! 07/09/2016 05:40 PM CDT
It's not an entry / exit check there.

There are areas where, just by standing there, you will fall through the thin surface and take leg damage from the lava. 10-20 ranks of Survival is about the point where this stops occurring. Maybe there are other skills / spells that can counter it as well but that was how I, and some of my hunting partners, addressed it.

Icemule has a climbing requirement to enter / exit the hunting areas after a certain point (or you end up falling off the cliff taking damage over and over). Survival helps you to stay out longer in the cold.

Sounds like your solution is to run back to town every time you are injured. That works well in some areas, less well in others I guess. I don't agree that the area is 'less accessible to your average spell casting type' given at that level any spell casting type certainly could invest the points likely necessary to counter it (or just carry herbs like my wizard does).

I'm still assuming that 10-20 ranks in survival will mostly mitigate the issue... now if the requirement turns out to be that you need to 1x in survival I would agree that it is a pretty steep entry price. Just my opinion of course.

-- Robert

A powerful whirlpool is suddenly overtaken by a windy vortex!
Re: New Hunting Grounds: The Red Forest! 07/09/2016 06:46 PM CDT
At level 100 with 50 ranks of survival and 100 ranks of perception, my character sometimes got injured from the fog there as well, although only with minor cuts and bruises. Are you getting rank 2 or higher injuries from the first fog bank, or are you not healing down the damage you take from each area transition?

If you're getting minors, eat a few bites of salad before you move to the next zone, and you should be fine. It's not much different from having to heal the bumps and scrapes picked up from moving through some areas with the minotaurs (stupid cliff).
Re: New Hunting Grounds: The Red Forest! 07/09/2016 07:02 PM CDT
My warrior has 87 perception and 10 survival, and feels like he has a 30% chance of getting through the fog, 50% chance of rt, and 20% chance of getting a minor.

(Usually it takes 2-5 tries, and I often get a minor in the process.)
Re: New Hunting Grounds: The Red Forest! 07/09/2016 07:08 PM CDT
>>At level 100 with 50 ranks of survival and 100 ranks of perception, my character sometimes got injured from the fog there as well, although only with minor cuts and bruises. Are you getting rank 2 or higher injuries from the first fog bank, or are you not healing down the damage you take from each area transition?

I'm only getting rank 2 wounds when the fog randomly injures the same location that has a rank 1. The fact that you have 100 ranks of perception and 50 ranks of survival is indicative, to me at least, that the skill check is too high and should be adjusted.

This is a non-capped hunting area. Highest train creatures are 83. People hunting these areas do not necessarily have spare TPs to just throw 1x into survival (which is starting to seem like the necessary skill to pass without injury) while also needing to maintain climb/swim/perception and their core skills.
Re: New Hunting Grounds: The Red Forest! 07/09/2016 10:17 PM CDT
Nearly every area with this level of hunting has creature abilities or realm type abilities that have to be accounted for. If it's carrying a short sword, having survival, needing swimming or climbing or protecting your hands from Waern bites, random mazes, Moulis, the lava flows as mentioned, illoke that fall on you or krag dwellers this seems par for the course. It's why these are meant to offer variety.
Re: New Hunting Grounds: The Red Forest! 07/11/2016 02:53 PM CDT
<<If the fog was just a passive environment that caused you damage occasionally, that would be fine. But as a barrier it makes the area much less accessible to your average spell casting types that focus on magic and not tertiary skills.>>

As a sorcerer can you phase through it? You mentioned a barrier, which is why I asked. :)
Re: New Hunting Grounds: The Red Forest! 07/12/2016 05:51 AM CDT
<<As a sorcerer can you phase through it? You mentioned a barrier, which is why I asked. :)>>

[Red Forest, Derelict Village]
A compact half-sphere of thick trees circles outward to eventually peel away and reveal the broken and scattered remnants of what appears to have once been a village. Some wooden buildings remain intact with little overgrowth, while others have been left in useless piles of rubble, smashed or scorched. Intermittent flecks of silver or golden light can be seen within the hazy mist that saturates the edge of the woods. You also see a cloud of thick ethereal fog.
Obvious paths: northeast, southeast
>prep 704
You begin drawing a faint, twisting symbol while softly intoning the words for Phase...
Your spell is ready.
>cast fog
You gesture at a cloud of thick ethereal fog.
Umm, but it's open. Why not just walk through it?
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.
(Forcing stance down to guarded)

Re: New Hunting Grounds: The Red Forest! 07/12/2016 07:51 AM CDT
Having trouble with a child rescue task. The NPC will not cross the gigantic rock on Aradhul Road. I did a bug report for the room but thought I would put it here. Not really a Red Forest issue but a heads up for staff and anyone who may get this task in Ta'Vaalor.

Chad, player of a few
Re: New Hunting Grounds: The Red Forest! 07/12/2016 03:31 PM CDT

OH, you know what, it wasn't phase. It was a Voln Symbol I used at Ebon Gate. Symbol of Transference I believe. Helped get past the traps.
Re: New Hunting Grounds: The Red Forest! 07/12/2016 03:42 PM CDT
>Having trouble with a child rescue task. The NPC will not cross the gigantic rock on Aradhul Road.

Should be fixed now.

Coase
Re: New Hunting Grounds: The Red Forest! 07/12/2016 03:48 PM CDT
Should be fixed now.
Coase

Thank you, sir!

Chad, player of a few
Re: New Hunting Grounds: The Red Forest! 07/12/2016 03:53 PM CDT
At 56 my gnome has 119 ranks of perception and 2 survival through enhancives with Sigil of Resolve. I get the occasional minor. I've been experimenting with 402 Presence and seem to have had less injury failures. Could be a lucky streak.

Chad, player of a few
Re: New Hunting Grounds: The Red Forest! 07/12/2016 03:59 PM CDT

Transcendence not Transference geeez. Where's the edit button anyway? >:)
Re: New Hunting Grounds: The Red Forest! 07/14/2016 11:17 PM CDT
Will this area be added to the places Symbol of Seeking can bring Voln members?

I came up in RR so I'm not overly familiar with most hunting areas in the Landing above level 15 or so, but none of the rooms Seeking finds appear to be the Red Forest even though I've heard there are undead there.

Also, are the levels for the individual creatures there listed anywhere? I see some of them have been listed on the wiki, but not all of them.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: New Hunting Grounds: The Red Forest! 07/14/2016 11:27 PM CDT

>Also, are the levels for the individual creatures there listed anywhere? I see some of them have been listed on the wiki, but not all of them.

usually they'll release info like that quite a few months after release. the ones you see listed were figured out by players and are not official.
Prev_page Previous 1