Krag Slopes/Minotaur Labyrinth :: Landslide 04/19/2015 07:17 PM CDT
What, exactly, are the factors that contribute to the success of climbing the landslide and to what degree do these factors contribute to success?

Both hands free
Stance Defensive
Climbing........................... 148 48

>climb landslide
Tentatively, you attempt to climb the landslide. After only a few feet, you slip! You catch yourself just barely, scrambling back to where you started.
Roundtime: 4 sec.
>climb landslide
Tentatively, you attempt to climb the landslide. After only a few feet, you slip! You catch yourself just barely, scrambling back to where you started.
>sigi res
You experience a momentary flash of insight on how to best overcome nature's obstacles.
>climb landslide
Roundtime: 3 sec.
>climb landslide
Roundtime: 2 sec.
R>'REALLY?
You ask, "REALLY?"
R>
>climb landslide
Confidently, you climb up the landslide, reaching the top without much trouble

>climb landslide
It quickly becomes apparent that you will not finish the climb. You begin to lose your footing and finally let go and fall.
... 5 points of damage!
Blow to your back connects lightly.
You drop to the ground with a thud.
Roundtime: 10 sec.
PR>l
[Upper Krag Slopes]
A steep landslide has tumbled masses of rocks and boulders down the western slope, preventing further passage in that direction. The tip of a boot-clad foot protrudes from beneath the rubble. You also see a lesser minotaur.
Obvious paths: northeast, east
PR>sigh
You sigh.
PR>
Your internal strength fully recovers from your most recent attempt to tap into it.
PR>
You feel fully energetic again.
PR>
A lesser minotaur swings a curved silvery white greataxe at you!
AS: +381 vs DS: +147 with AvD: +32 + d100 roll: +96 = +362
... and hits for 62 points of damage!
Diagonal slash leaves a bloody trail across your torso.
You are stunned for 3 rounds!

Re: Krag Slopes/Minotaur Labyrinth :: Landslide 04/19/2015 07:30 PM CDT
I believe encumbrance would be a factor as well and going Stance OFFENSIVE would improve your chance to climb.

-- Robert

"Wyrom isn't interacting with me, I think he is AFK scripting."
Re: Krag Slopes/Minotaur Labyrinth :: Landslide 04/19/2015 07:43 PM CDT
Zero Encumbrance.

If a NiR could respond, I would be very grateful.
Re: Krag Slopes/Minotaur Labyrinth :: Landslide 04/19/2015 08:01 PM CDT
No wounds.
Fully trained for full plate at 150 ranks.

Getting beyond ridiculous at this point.

>store all
You put a perfect maoral-handled steel spikestar in your haon weapon case.
You sling a nicked illthorn greatshield over your shoulder.
>
You feel at full magical power again.
You feel fully energetic again.
>climb land
R>gird
...wait 3 seconds.
R>l
[Upper Krag Slopes]
A steep landslide has tumbled masses of rocks and boulders down the western slope, preventing further passage in that direction. The tip of a boot-clad foot protrudes from beneath the rubble.
>climb land
Climbing well, you adeptly move up the landslide. As your confidence rises, your concentration lapses and then you miss a foothold. You call out in surprise and fall to the ground below.
... 7 points of damage!
Blow grazes your right leg.
PR>gird
You remove a perfect maoral-handled steel spikestar from in your haon weapon case.
You sling a nicked illthorn greatshield off from over your shoulder.
P>stand
You stand back up.
R>l
[Upper Krag Slopes]
A steep landslide has tumbled masses of rocks and boulders down the western slope, preventing further passage in that direction. The tip of a boot-clad foot protrudes from beneath the rubble.
>look
[Upper Krag Slopes]
>look
[Upper Krag Slopes]
>stance off
You are now in an offensive stance.
>store all
You put a perfect maoral-handled steel spikestar in your haon weapon case.
>climb land
R>l
[Upper Krag Slopes]
R>climb land
It quickly becomes apparent that you will not finish the climb. You begin to lose your footing and finally let go and fall.
... 10 points of damage!
Brushing blow to your right hand.

Re: Krag Slopes/Minotaur Labyrinth :: Landslide 04/19/2015 10:23 PM CDT
You're just a klutz. With 33 ranks in climbing I fail maybe one try in 20.

"So, what does that green line on the graph represent?"
"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: Krag Slopes/Minotaur Labyrinth :: Landslide 04/20/2015 01:04 PM CDT
>>What, exactly, are the factors that contribute to the success of climbing the landslide and to what degree do these factors contribute to success?

What level are you? People seem to have an easier time of it the higher level they are, I don't know if this is because they have more PF or just because they are a higher level though.
Re: Krag Slopes/Minotaur Labyrinth :: Landslide 04/20/2015 01:42 PM CDT
Maybe just crazy bad luck? It's possible.

Positive factors I'm sure of:

Empty Hands
Stance Offensive
Zero Encumbrance
Climbing Ranks (30-35 seems reliable)

Factors I think might have some effect:

Physical Fitness
Survival Ranks
Level of Climber

~ GtG
Re: Krag Slopes/Minotaur Labyrinth :: Landslide 04/21/2015 02:42 AM CDT
Level 71
80 PF
8 Survival Ranks (current amount from Sigil of Resolve)

If I had to guess, it takes survival into account or perhaps the mechanic is way over emphasizing the Armor Action Penalty despite being fully trained for the armor.

When I grep my logs, I fail roughly 50% of the time. The rate of failure, and especially failure leading to injury or consequential death is totally unacceptable.
Re: Krag Slopes/Minotaur Labyrinth :: Landslide 04/21/2015 11:37 AM CDT
>If I had to guess, it takes survival into account or perhaps the mechanic is way over emphasizing the Armor Action Penalty despite being fully trained for the armor.

Action penalty is what you take when fully trained and its significant in full plate so you'll need extra climbing or PF training to compensate. (Overtrain enough and it goes down, 180 ranks for the first drop on full plate).

Train more climbing, or more PF or both and you'll be fine. Trying to do it on minimal training in defensive stance is asking for trouble.
The three characters I've hunted there haven't had any issues (full plate with 2x PF and 0.75x climbing works for me, as does robes with 2x PF and 0.5x climbing, and chain with 1.2x PF and 1x climbing)
Re: Krag Slopes/Minotaur Labyrinth :: Landslide 04/21/2015 06:28 PM CDT
Ah, plate mail; that may be a factor. I'm in brigandine with 70 ranks armor training and 1.5x PF. Also, agi and dex both 100. Zero survival, however. (Is that really a factor in climbing?)

::This space for rent::
Re: Krag Slopes/Minotaur Labyrinth :: Landslide 04/24/2015 01:19 AM CDT
>>Action penalty is what you take when fully trained and its significant in full plate so you'll need extra climbing or PF training to compensate. (Overtrain enough and it goes down, 180 ranks for the first drop on full plate).

I've seen no NiR ever mention PF being a factor for this specific climb or any climb in general. Is there evidence cited from a NiR on the wiki or saved on the playerscorner that I'm missing? I'm also 1.67x trained in PF.

I understand Action Penalty and how AP is reduced per 50 ranks over the RT breakpoint. I get that. My complaint can be boiled down thusly: I've never had issues getting to the Rift, OTF or Nelemar with 40 ranks of swimming or climbing, where applicable; why is this climb so dramatically different? The wiki for OTF says 25-30 swimming ranks for unencumbered characters (and my personal experience corroborates said statement). It also mentions PF and Strength but lacks citation, which, as an aside, infuriates the hell out of me. Both the OTF and Rift swim are entirely free of attacks when coming out of the water. Let us not forget the mechanics for those two swims were built when there was no level cap and players had longer to attain the sufficient ranks; I assume the mechanics for OTF and the Rift remained static. Nelemar has the chance of creatures waiting at the two entrances, but the player can at least PEER into those entrances to decide the best route; players cannot peer past the landslide. To make matters even worse, I'm taking 10 seconds of RT, in offensive, prone, sometimes injured, sometimes stunned, in an area populated by minotaurs with 375AS Greataxe attacks, sometimes over 400 AS, and can MStrike for 3 attacks or be attacked by nearly 400AS Pounds (i.e., 275 DF vs Plate) from Dwellers. Even if the landslide climb isn't bugged, it certainly has a far more difficult threshold of success than other capped hunting grounds.
Don't worry y'all, I bugged it in game.

You experience a momentary flash of insight on how to best overcome nature's obstacles.
>
You have nothing in your right hand.
>
>
... 5 points of damage!
Strike glances off your chest.
>
P>stand
You stand back up.
>
... 2 points of damage!
Blow nicks your neck.
>
P>stand
You stand back up.
>
Tentatively, you attempt to climb the landslide. After only a few feet, you lose your grip and fall...
... 10 points of damage!
Strike to your head breaks your cheekbone.
You are stunned for 1 round!

Re: Krag Slopes/Minotaur Labyrinth :: Landslide 04/24/2015 03:41 AM CDT
I can say that I definitely upped my Climbing ranks (to 35 finally gave passable results) when I moved to this hunting ground. I'd go into stance offensive, empty handed, no encumbrance, in robes. 1x PT, no survival, Halfling with good AGL and DEX for what it's worth (not sure what is factoring in here). I was mainly climbing this slide around level 70 to 74 I'd guess.

However, even at that stage, although I could climb up reliably, I could still get RT at the top, with a creature waiting. Stance offensive, empty handed in robes..."this is not what you want."

So I switched to two different methods. One was when I had to or decided to do the climb manually, I put of Wall of Force (best. utility. spell. ever.). The other thing I did was to simply set a Planar Rune to the top of the landslide and Shift in.

PRO TIP: Set a gold ring at the top of the Landslide

Next time I'm in the Landing I can give it a try again. Now I have 1x Climb, 1x Survival, and am higher level. ^_^

Check out who's dying any time! https://twitter.com/GSIVDeathLog
Re: Krag Slopes/Minotaur Labyrinth :: Landslide 04/24/2015 03:46 AM CDT
>I've seen no NiR ever mention PF being a factor for this specific climb or any climb in general. Is there evidence cited from a NiR on the wiki or saved on the playerscorner that I'm missing? I'm also 1.67x trained in PF.

"Physical Fitness also helps with HP recovery, stamina pool and stamina recovery, some swimming, some climbing, some maneuvers, as well as resisting disease and poison." ~ http://www.play.net/gs4/info/skills.asp#physicaltraining

There are definitely checks on heavy armor for climbing and swimming as well. Probably you need to up your armor use or take off your plate and climb that way. Don't worry, like I said in my previous post, I was also in offensive, hands empty, and practically speaking no armor on. (Problem is, your encumbrance may go up without your armor on...)

I don't think this is necessarily a bug...though I'm sure it can be frustrating.

I still like my solution of setting a gold ring, though.

Re: Krag Slopes/Minotaur Labyrinth :: Landslide 04/24/2015 05:16 AM CDT
>I've seen no NiR ever mention PF being a factor for this specific climb or any climb in general. Is there evidence cited from a NiR on the wiki or saved on the playerscorner that I'm missing? I'm also 1.67x trained in PF.

Its in the discussion shortly after its release about the checks on the trail to OTF. I'm not sure if those posts are saved anywhere, but if you can find them, its in there.

>My complaint can be boiled down thusly: I've never had issues getting to the Rift, OTF or Nelemar with 40 ranks of swimming or climbing, where applicable; why is this climb so dramatically different?

I had issues with swim to the Bowels at those levels of training, and I'm fairly sure it would cause issues on the TV/OTF trail too and in the Confluence. Its just that you've stuck to easy routes so far (you don't actually need any climb/swim for Nelemar or the Rift if you stick to easy routes for them, but you would need to switch society).

You don't have to hunt minos, but if you want to have an easier time on that climb, train more climbing. This isn't GS3 where you got badly stuffed if you didn't train enough at earlier levels, you can just keep adding a rank until it works well enough for you (and the designers have taken that into account and upped the difficulty level on checks in the more recently released areas). That's the way to manage training if you are trying to get away with minimal levels. If you want to be comfortable all the time, train 1x.
Re: Krag Slopes/Minotaur Labyrinth :: Landslide 04/24/2015 05:42 AM CDT
>PRO TIP: Set a gold ring at the top of the Landslide

PRO PRO TIP: Set two gold rings. If you really, really don't want to do climb, have an insurance against navving.

PRO PRO PRO Tip: Set three gold rings. Once you get into hunting warriors you'll want separate rings for inward and outward travel.

PRO PRO PRO PRO Tip: three is enough, it doesn't matter if your inbound ring gets navved because you get back to town anyway.
Re: Krag Slopes/Minotaur Labyrinth :: Landslide 04/24/2015 06:26 AM CDT
>PRO PRO PRO PRO Tip: etc etc etc

In: 19. a set of thin twilight grey "es-im-mer-pu-str" symbols [Hidden Plateau]

Out: 1. a set of squiggly twilight grey "mer-th-jil" runes [Town Square Central]

Or: Incant 130

Or: SWAN DIVE!

(And yes, I get that this is unlikely to be helpful to a character in full plate, since um, sorcerers don't do that. But, it's the reason my "pro tip" might not have been super amazing in its construction.)

>This isn't GS3 where you got badly stuffed if you didn't train enough at earlier levels, you can just keep adding a rank until it works well enough for you (and the designers have taken that into account and upped the difficulty level on checks in the more recently released areas). That's the way to manage training if you are trying to get away with minimal levels.

Agreed. I should probably just syndicate the advice I wrote for the Paladin guide awhile ago:

https://gswiki.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Paladin#Climbing_and_Swimming

"A base amount of these skills are needed simply to get around Elanthia. 10 to 15 ranks of climbing should be acquired early on, as well as 5 to 10 ranks of swimming, depending what area of the world the paladin prefers. The best rule of thumb to increase the ranks is to save some extra training points when going to a new hunting area with such skill checks. If the paladin significantly fails a skill check, immediately type GOALS to add 5 ranks in the relevant skill, and try again. Then the paladin will not have to spend unneeded training points on these skills."

Re: Krag Slopes/Minotaur Labyrinth :: Landslide 04/25/2015 09:32 AM CDT
This uses a pretty generalized climbing skill check that is configured separately for each place that it's used, but may factor in any of these upcoming values.

Bonuses for you: your enhanced climbing skill, your AGI bonus, your CON bonus, your stance (offensive is best, defensive is worst), a bonus for having Mobility (618) on, one or two empty hands, and a lucky roll.

Penalties for you: climb difficulty, injuries, encumbrance, armor action penalty, and an armor undertraining penalty (this is separate from the action penalty - I highly recommend only wearing armor that you're trained for!)

These could go either way: Your race, and your profession.

As was mentioned, the action penalty for full plate is significant (-35), even when fully trained. I suspect that that plus some bad luck is what's happening. You might want to try having a rogue put Armored Evasion on you until you can increase your climbing and/or armor ranks.

Ixix
Re: Krag Slopes/Minotaur Labyrinth :: Landslide 04/25/2015 10:36 AM CDT
> You might want to try having a rogue put Armored Evasion on you until you can increase your climbing and/or armor ranks.

Does Armored Evasion reduce the action penalty for all situations? From the description I thought it only applied to combat rolls.
Re: Krag Slopes/Minotaur Labyrinth :: Landslide 04/25/2015 11:39 AM CDT
Whoops - good catch. I misspoke on that part - armored evasion won't help with these general climbing checks.

And that's how rumors start!

Ixix
Re: Krag Slopes/Minotaur Labyrinth :: Landslide 05/03/2015 03:44 PM CDT
Thank you Ixix. I appreciate the explanation of Climbing.

On the advice of others, I added more ranks of climbing, despite each rank only adding 1 skill. It's working out really well.

>
You have nothing in your right hand.
>
>
Tentatively, you attempt to climb the landslide. After only a few feet, you lose your grip and fall...
... 10 points of damage!
Light strike to your chest.
PR>
Your disk arrives, following you dutifully.
PR>
A nearby boulder begins to shift, revealing a krag dweller.
PR>
The krag dweller's eyes sparkle with evil intent as it collapses into a boulder-shaped ball and begins rolling erratically across the ground!
In a vain attempt, you roll to avoid the speeding boulder! The boulder strikes you squarely, crushing you beneath it and the ground!
... 30 points of damage!
You hear several snaps as your neck is broken in several places.
The deep blue glow leaves you.
You become solid again.
You lose a bit of focus as the knowledge of future battles drifts from your mind.
You feel your abilities diminish as the energy provided by your patron fades from around you.
Your skin grows slightly numb for a moment as the warm glow fades from around you.
Your boosted confidence and fearlessness fade.
Your bolstered defenses fade with the soft glow about you.
The subdued warmth embracing you fades along with the spiritual force surrounding your arms.
The dully illuminated mantle protecting you begins to falter, then completely fades away.
You return to normal color.
The brilliant luminescence fades from around you.
The light blue glow leaves you.
The powerful look leaves you.
The dim celadon wisps about your hands flare up once more and fade completely away.
You feel slightly weakened as the blood in your veins thins.
You feel your added insight slip away.
The white light leaves you.
The very powerful look leaves you.
The shimmering aura fades from around you.
It seems you have died, my friend. Although you cannot do anything, you are keenly aware of what is going on around you...
You mentally give a sigh of relief as you remember that the Goddess Lorminstra owes you a favor.

Re: Krag Slopes/Minotaur Labyrinth :: Landslide 05/03/2015 10:47 PM CDT
>On the advice of others, I added more ranks of climbing, despite each rank only adding 1 skill. It's working out really well.

I missed the part in the log of annoyance where you got nav'ved and only had one ring set, thus requiring you to die climbing.

Re: Krag Slopes/Minotaur Labyrinth :: Landslide 05/04/2015 12:51 PM CDT
>I missed the part in the log of annoyance where you got nav'ved and only had one ring set, thus requiring you to die climbing.

All snark aside I just want to be clear; you're advocating a method circumventing the mechanics of the climb altogether instead of addressing the underlying issue. This particular climb is quite simply bad game design. Gating an area with a skill requirement is fine, but a skill requirement that puts the character into a position where zero counter-play is possible is, by definition, bad game design.

I'm not looking for advice however wonderfully sarcastic; I'm advocating for change. I recommend the Action Penalty from armor be reduced by 1/2 for all climbs because it brutally, and unfairly, penalizes professions designed to be wearing full plate.
Re: Krag Slopes/Minotaur Labyrinth :: Landslide 05/04/2015 01:33 PM CDT
>>I'm advocating for change.

Thank you for making this clear.

Doug
Re: Krag Slopes/Minotaur Labyrinth :: Landslide 05/04/2015 02:01 PM CDT
>I'm not looking for advice however wonderfully sarcastic; I'm advocating for change. I recommend the Action Penalty from armor be reduced by 1/2 for all climbs because it brutally, and unfairly, penalizes professions designed to be wearing full plate.

Nope. You just get penalised for not training enough. Its well within the compass of a full plate wearer to do that climb. I posted a skill set that works already in this thread.

You can

1) train
2) use rings
3) suffer when you tackle a stiff climb in a dangerous area

If you choose to suffer, thats your choice and giving you that choice demonstrates good design, not bad design.
Re: Krag Slopes/Minotaur Labyrinth :: Landslide 05/04/2015 04:02 PM CDT
This conversation seems to have gotten somewhat combative and that is my fault. Let me take the time to apologize; I am sorry for being hostile. I believe I have a compelling case and I'm frustrated with climb failures leading to death. Couple that with the fact that I'm being told the climb isn't an issue given less training than my character possesses. My data below clearly and distinctly is at odds with the assertions of other players made in this thread.

Just so we (i.e., Myself, Doug, Rathboner, and Daid) are all on the same page, below are my inputs and outputs.

Inputs:
No Wounds
No Encumbrance
Stance Offensive
148 Climbing Skill
150 Armor Use Ranks
21 Agility Bonus
25 Constitution Bonus
Empty Hands (necessity for landslide climb)
Human
Paladin

Outputs:
Description StringFrequencyOutcome
You skillfully climb (direction) the landslide, barely breaking a sweat before you reach the (direction).57Success
Gracefully, you scamper (direction) the landslide, reaching the (direction) in no time at all.58Success
Confidently, you climb (direction) the landslide, reaching the (direction) without much trouble.48Success
Tentatively, you attempt to climb the landslide. After only a few feet, you slip! You catch yourself just barely, scrambling back to where you started.53Failure: 3 RT
Tentatively, you attempt to climb the landslide. After only a few feet, you lose your grip and fall...16Failure: 10 RT + Injury
Climbing well, you adeptly move up the landslide. As your confidence rises, your concentration lapses and then you miss a foothold. You call out in surprise and fall to the ground below.3Failure: 10 RT + Injury

What follows is more of a speculative string of questions to spur dialogue instead of an argument:
(1) Assume that the climb skill check is additive such that an equal 1:1 ratio exists between all inputs (e.g., Agility Bonus of 40 == 40 Climbing Skill; -35 Action Penalty + 35 Climb Skill == 0).
(2) Given (1), do we agree having more training than is recommended in the thread should lead to ~30% failure rate?
(3) Given (2), do we agree having more training than is recommended in this thread should lead to ~8% catastrophic failure rate?
(4) Given (1), do we agree training roughly 30 more climbing ranks (i.e., 80 ranks; 180 skill) would remove the chance of failure, barring unavoidable failure (i.e., d100 = 1)?
(5) Training past 40 ranks results in a skill to rank ratio of 1:1
(6) Given (1), (4) and (5), do we agree Paladins and Warriors must have roughly 25 to 35 more climbing ranks than their pure and hybrid counterparts (excluding rogues and rangers) to achieve the same frequency of outcomes when climbing the landslide?
(7) Given (6), is there a lack of parity between the aforementioned professions in (6)? I mean this sincerity, is it reasonable to ask Paladins and Warriors to nearly double the climb ranks necessary to achieve equal landslide climb outcomes as their counterparts?

As an aside, until such a time this climb gets altered, I've set a ring to just after the climb and will society-port back. I feel as though this is treating the symptom and not the problem.
Re: Krag Slopes/Minotaur Labyrinth :: Landslide 05/04/2015 06:58 PM CDT
Not sure if you have ever been rock climbing or not but you can accomplish some pretty amazing climbs with modern equipment.

Now take away the special climbing shoes and modern gear and tools to assist in climbing.

Now strap on a 60+ lb set of plate armor which is not only heavy but is also very good at restricting your site, movement, and reactions.

I don't think everything in game has to be 'realistic' but I think the climbing results you listed are pretty good given a realistic perspective.

Now, moving into the game world, the climb checks are there to give some reason to take the skill of climbing. They don't need to be realistic but if you didn't need to train in climbing to overcome some of the hurdles in the game then what would be the point of the skill?

My (serious) two cents.

-- Robert

"Wyrom isn't interacting with me, I think he is AFK scripting."
Re: Krag Slopes/Minotaur Labyrinth :: Landslide 05/05/2015 12:01 AM CDT
>Not sure if you have ever been rock climbing or not but you can accomplish some pretty amazing climbs with modern equipment.

Yes. Accurate. My grip strength is really poor. I should stop using straps with deadlifts. I accept your claim of how ridiculously hard it would be to climb in plate. I have a hard enough time traversing uneven ground when backpacking.

>I don't think everything in game has to be 'realistic' but I think the climbing results you listed are pretty good given a realistic perspective.

I just simply do not know how you can make this type of evaluative statement. What real-world analog exists for the landslide climb? Which did you use? Or was it constructed entirely conceptually? How did you navigate that process? How much does 148 Climbing Skill equate to real-life climbing skill? Is the climbing skill of in-game heroes measured the same way as oog humans? And so on.

>Now, moving into the game world, the climb checks are there to give some reason to take the skill of climbing.

Understood. I'm trained more than is recommended by the posters in this thread.

>They don't need to be realistic but if you didn't need to train in climbing to overcome some of the hurdles in the game then what would be the point of the skill?

I'm sympathetic to the lack of climbing skill application in the game. At least during GSIII it was applied to Redux (I think?), but alas no longer to the GSIV analog, Damage Reduction. However, that's an entirely different question than what I tried to articulate in my previous post. That is to say, I'm concerned with the inter-profession application of Climbing skill.

Maybe an ATHLETICS system could be made that concentrated on Climbing and Swimming. Although, it would make little sense to exclude the other obviously physical skills.
ATHLETICS:

Ignore Pain
Ranks: 1,2,3
Cost: 6,12,18
Benefit: Each rank allows the character to ignore the effects of wounds ranks * 2 wound levels, this applies only to rank 1 wounds. The highest wound is ignored first. At rank 3, the character is able to ignore rank 2 wounds (e.g., three rank 1 wounds == 3, one rank 2 wound == 2, one rank 2 wound and one rank 1 == 3).

Adrenal Surge
Stamina: 15
Benefit: The next action taken within 15 seconds of activation that imposes RT on the player is reduced by ranks * 2 seconds. After activating Adrenal Surge, the skill goes on cooldown for 30 seconds. Use during cooldown increases the stamina to 30 and additionally causes a rank 1 nervous system wound on the player.

Power Lifter
Benefit: Permanently increase the Strength Bonus of the character by ranks * 1.

Speed Bag (I AM NOT A CREATIVE PERSON)
Benefit: Permanently increase the Dexterity Bonus of the character by ranks * 1.

Marathoner (lol)
Benefit: Permanently increase the Constitution Bonus of the character by ranks * 1.

SomethingSomethingAgility (lol)
Benefit: Permanently increase the Agility Bonus of the character by ranks * 1.

Flexibility
Benefit: The player gains +1% dodge.

Hand Eye Coordination
Stamina: 5
Benefit: The next aimed physical attack made within 15 seconds has increased chance to hit the location aimed by ranks * 3% (I have no idea how aiming works?).
Re: Krag Slopes/Minotaur Labyrinth :: Landslide 05/05/2015 12:59 AM CDT
I'm still considering how I feel about each of your questions, GARGADON, but. . .

I do have to say I like the Athletic concept and most of the recommendations. That's one helluva suggestion for change, and with some additional thought could round out in other ways some certain aspects of the game. The only real challenge I see at this point is that Physical Fitness training would have to tie in, leading to empaths smoking the competition - again. Perhaps some mechanism of limiting from pures (who generally use lighter armors anyway) through cost / rank limits?

Still, a modest problem for what could be one of the more compelling suggestions I've seen in a while. My only other comment would be - keep those rings handy. . . this isn't likely to be quickly implemented, despite best wishes on the matter.

ATTN: Monks - you should be all over this!

Doug
Re: Krag Slopes/Minotaur Labyrinth :: Landslide 05/05/2015 01:42 AM CDT
>I'm not looking for advice however wonderfully sarcastic; I'm advocating for change. I recommend the Action Penalty from armor be reduced by 1/2 for all climbs because it brutally, and unfairly, penalizes professions designed to be wearing full plate.

There has to be more to it than this. My warrior in full plate, level 71, has no problem making that climb. I can't swear that he has never failed it, but I honestly do not remember a failure, so it must be rare, and he has been hunting up there for about two levels now.

--David

"At a moment like this, I can't help but wonder, 'What would Jimmy Buffett do?'"
Re: Krag Slopes/Minotaur Labyrinth :: Landslide 05/05/2015 06:21 AM CDT
>There has to be more to it than this.

Looking at the data, I'd say that the difference is in the tactics. My success is similar, maybe a bit less than that (better training but worse AGI) but the failure rate isn't a problem for me because I don't get close to making that number of attempts on it. I could quite easily go through 10 levels there and never see an example of the 1% fumble (and I don't recall ever having seen it, though I've only gone through about 4 levels there as a plate wearing warrior). 70% success, 20% minor failure, 9% moderate failure, 1% fumble failure counts as being able to do the climb just fine as far as I am concerned.
Re: Krag Slopes/Minotaur Labyrinth :: Landslide 05/07/2015 06:04 AM CDT
>This conversation seems to have gotten somewhat combative and that is my fault. Let me take the time to apologize; I am sorry for being hostile.

I personally haven't felt any problems here.

>>I missed the part in the log of annoyance where you got nav'ved and only had one ring set, thus requiring you to die climbing.

>All snark aside I just want to be clear; you're advocating a method circumventing the mechanics of the climb altogether instead of addressing the underlying issue. This particular climb is quite simply bad game design. Gating an area with a skill requirement is fine, but a skill requirement that puts the character into a position where zero counter-play is possible is, by definition, bad game design.

You seem to get that I was a little snarky or sarcastic, which hopefully is all in good fun. As a player, mainly I can advise on different methods to work around existing game design. The fact that I was in robes and didn't ever die making that climb and still teleported in just says to my mind that it's a good way to go. Then again I'm a big teleportation buff. I'm sure some areas of my rune book would amuse you...

I do think you have a reasonably good case here. But keep in mind, for some kinds of swimming checks, you are required to take your heavy armor off. I sort of have the feeling the design in the case of this climb is similar for heavy armor, perhaps.

Whether it's good design or bad design I have no strong opinion on. I wouldn't mind if it was changed, but there are all kinds of hazards in Elanthia. Heck, when you rescue kids from the Laby, you're literally taking a swan dive off a cliff (as I alluded to before).