Minotaur Labyrinth 02/01/2015 01:59 AM CST
Any advice on finding one's way around in the minotaur labyrinth? I did not have any problem surviving the warriors (did not see any mages), but I was not really able to get anywhere either. I did eventually get out, but that is about all I could do other than wander. Any advice?

Thanks,

--David

"At a moment like this, I can't help but wonder, 'What would Jimmy Buffett do?'"
Re: Minotaur Labyrinth 02/01/2015 03:22 AM CST
Some areas are random, others have a plan that doesn't vary. There are a couple of room descriptions I looked for. I suspect one can't say too much here on the forums.

"So, what does that green line on the graph represent?"
"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: Minotaur Labyrinth 02/01/2015 07:04 AM CST
The maze is split into sections. The connecting rooms are always the same, highlight them so you know when you have an opportunity to chance section or exit the maze completely. Some connections are always the same direction, some can flip between two possibilities each time the maze resets.

All sections have warriors, those that gen lessers don't gen maguses and vice versa. (but they can wander if they gen for someone in a different section.) You drop in on one of the lesser sections (different trapdoors go to different sections)

Have a ring to teleport to a trapdoor and another method for teleporting out (fog or another ring).

Work out an exit route before you start killing when on a rescue task.

I establish circuits each time I go into a section for the first time that day. e.g. n,n,n,n,n,n,n,n and I'm back in the room I started is a useful circuit because it covers a lot of the section. nw,nw and I'm back isn't (unless one room is the exit and the kid appeared in the other)

Use some technique for identifying the rooms. I only have the key phrases for the connecting rooms highlighted, and just remember the other rooms, but a different highlight on a key phrase in their descriptions might help you in tracking the circuits.
Re: Minotaur Labyrinth 02/02/2015 03:46 AM CST
Thanks for the responses. That should help. I'll keep working on it.

--David

"At a moment like this, I can't help but wonder, 'What would Jimmy Buffett do?'"
Re: Minotaur Labyrinth 02/02/2015 09:05 AM CST
A similar discussion is going on concurrently in Paladins as a sort of off-shoot.

Here's what I wrote there, pasted with quotes I replied to (http://forums.play.net/forums/GemStone%20IV/Paladins/So%20You%20Want%20to%20be%20a%20Paladin%3F/thread/1683081)

>actually i find hunting the slopes and hidden plateau kinda boring, so i am heading to the skull temple for a while, then i will likely come back for a few levels of mino magi.

>The magi (maybe it's just me) didn't seem to be spawning much when I hunted there, usually twas just warriors.

This is basically true. In my experience, the magi do not spawn in the maze that leads out of the Labyrinth, only in the other four. Also, the number of total magi which can spawn I believe is more limited (because of the number of spawning rooms). So if you want to hunt magi explicitly, you have to search for them. They especially seem to like spawning in the lower maze through the archway. They might also not spawn in the western maze either. Note, however, that the color-coding for spawning on the map included with Lich is definitely erroneous; the top maze leading out has warriors and lesser minotaurs, not magi. Also, on the staircase area before the labyrinth, I think only lesser minotaur spawn. Finally, in the main plateau, dwellers, yeti, and lesser minotaur all spawn I think.

Of course, that analysis is just my personal experience...but something about those maps is not right.

>Kayse scrambles to avoid being sucked into the void!
Re: Minotaur Labyrinth 02/02/2015 09:33 AM CST
Magi spawn best in my experience through the doors. Cast a minor sanct and push the doors open.

General Radeek Andoran
Drakes Vanguard
Defender of Wehnimer's Landing
Black Raider of the Mir'Sheq

Empires come into being through conquest, they continue to exist by exercising total control.

Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato
Re: Minotaur Labyrinth 02/02/2015 01:18 PM CST
>This is basically true. In my experience, the magi do not spawn in the maze that leads out of the Labyrinth

This is a lesser and warrior section, no magi spawn there.

One of the widely circulated maps of the maze has an inaccurate depiction of the magi spawn zone. If you are relying on that you are likely to have trouble finding them.

Also if you are on your own in the maze, you need to move around between the sections where they spawn because if there's no one killing them in their other sections, they'll just pile up there and stop spawning in the section where you are.
Re: Minotaur Labyrinth 02/03/2015 12:44 AM CST
>Magi spawn best in my experience through the doors.

I never once managed this. Not sure if it's because I'm a halfling or didn't use a scroll for 213. I do suspect it's accurate information though; they like to spawn in that general area very much.

>Kayse scrambles to avoid being sucked into the void!
Re: Minotaur Labyrinth 02/03/2015 07:49 AM CST
>Magi spawn best in my experience through the doors.

>I never once managed this. Not sure if it's because I'm a halfling or didn't use a scroll for 213. I do suspect it's accurate information though; they like to spawn in that general area very much.

It does take a while to get the doors open and I would think that due to being a halfling it will take even longer. It's almost a necessity to use minor sanct if you aren't group hunting due to the RT involved in pushing/pulling the doors. Also those doors don't remain open forever and you have to go through the same thing to get out. I only hunted behind the doors if spawns were extremely slow and I didn't feel like being in there forever but they definitely spawned both faster and more numerous for me while inside that area.

General Radeek Andoran
Drakes Vanguard
Defender of Wehnimer's Landing
Black Raider of the Mir'Sheq

Empires exist through conquest, they live on by exercising total control of the conquered.

Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato