Greater Vruul 12/28/2014 07:25 PM CST
I'm looking for some help in hunting greater vruul--specifically, in finding them. Are they only behind the locked doors in the monastery, which is the only place I have not been able to look? And if so, how does one get through the doors? Trying to batter them just got me diseased very badly. Thanks for any input.

--David

"At a moment like this, I can't help but wonder, 'What would Jimmy Buffett do?'"
Re: Greater Vruul 12/28/2014 10:33 PM CST
There are two chambers where greater vruul spawn, and that's it. The doors at one time were both always open, but now at least one is locked, with a scarab trap; that's what probably diseased you. I believe the trap can be disarmed by someone with enough skill. I'm not sure about the other door; I haven't been there in years. They are 76 trainings and undead, so don't go in with anyone under 66 or you will get hit with greater sheer fear. I may go there with my rogue and have a look at what the trap is like in terms of difficulty.

"So, what does that green line on the graph represent?"
"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: Greater Vruul 12/28/2014 10:41 PM CST
No, the character I want to take in is almost at 71, so he should be fine. But both doors were locked today. I tried battering them. On one I was immediately diseased, so that may be the scarab. The other door took damage but it never did open, and I pounded on it for a while. Sort of frustrating given the lack of undead at that level.

--David

"At a moment like this, I can't help but wonder, 'What would Jimmy Buffett do?'"
Re: Greater Vruul 12/29/2014 12:03 AM CST
OK, I went there today, and both doors were locked. I found no scarab on either door. Possibly it takes a while for the scarab to come back after being triggered. I picked both locks; one was -750, the other -675. Locks that size may require a lot of battering, especially with the one set of doors being made of vaalin. Assuming you can actually batter a vaalin door down, that is. The other door is haon (wood), so that may be the way to go. The dark chapel was the one with the bigger lock and the vaalin doors; I'm betting that's the one with the scarab also. They're also enruned, so I suspect that spells won't work on them either. Looks like the Sheruvians want to protect that room more than the other. Don't make assumptions, however; have someone check both doors for traps.

Also, once you do get the doors open, you may well encounter a problem of a different sort. Namely, getting out again alive. First, here's what the locksmithing part was like .... this is the summoning chamber.

>disarm door
You carefully begin to examine some carved haon double doors for traps...
The lock appears to be free of all obstructions.
>
The focused look leaves you.
>
Your senses are no longer as sharp.
>open door
It appears to be locked.
>
The scintillating light fades from your hands.
>get black lockp
>
You remove a diamond-edged black vaalin lockpick from in your deep black silk pack.
>incant 403
You gesture and invoke the powers of the elements for the Lock Pick Enhancement spell...
Your spell is ready.
You gesture.
A scintillating light surrounds your hands.
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.
(Forcing stance down to guarded)
>pick doors
You settle into the difficult task of picking the lock.
You make an adequate attempt (d100=57).
You struggle with the doors. As you do, you get a sense that the doors has a difficult lock (-675 thief-lingo difficulty ranking). Then...CLICK! It opens!<<

The problem with these two rooms is that the critters take forever to despawn, and with the doors locked from the outside, they can't go anywhere in the meanwhile. I was well aware of this, and not being a total idiot, I sent my capped cleric in to explore. The following is a fairly common occurrence in these rooms.

>>go door
[Sheruvian Monastery, Chapel]
A circular dais, with three small steps surrounding it, squats in the center of the room. Standing alone on the dais is an altar formed from a block of black marble, the pale glow from the sphere overhead reflecting off of the veniom inlaid into its surface. Lurking on the outskirts of this circular room, almost hidden in the heavy brocade tapestries adorning the walls, are statues, one for each of the Gods of Lornon. Spaced between the statues are large candles on vaalin stands. You also see a greater vruul, a greater vruul, a greater vruul, a greater vruul, a greater vruul, a greater vruul, a greater vruul, a greater vruul, a greater vruul, a greater vruul, a greater vruul, a greater vruul, a greater vruul, a greater vruul, a greater vruul, a greater vruul, a greater vruul, a greater vruul, a greater vruul, a greater vruul, a greater vruul, a greater vruul, a greater vruul and some enruned black vaalin doors.
Obvious exits: none<<

Can you say "force on force"? I knew you could! They also cast spells; CS is 295.

"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: Greater Vruul 12/29/2014 12:26 AM CST
Well crud. Thanks for the information, though. And for the record, no, it was the summoning chamber door that diseased me. Looks like this is not the place for me to hunt undead.

--David

Re: Greater Vruul 12/29/2014 11:06 AM CST
>[Sheruvian Monastery, Chapel]
A circular dais, with three small steps surrounding it, squats in the center of the room. Standing alone on the dais is an altar formed from a block of black marble, the pale glow from the sphere overhead reflecting off of the veniom inlaid into its surface. Lurking on the outskirts of this circular room, almost hidden in the heavy brocade tapestries adorning the walls, are statues, one for each of the Gods of Lornon. Spaced between the statues are large candles on vaalin stands. You also see a greater vruul, a greater vruul, a greater vruul, a greater vruul, a greater vruul, a greater vruul, a greater vruul, a greater vruul, a greater vruul, a greater vruul, a greater vruul, a greater vruul, a greater vruul, a greater vruul, a greater vruul, a greater vruul, a greater vruul, a greater vruul, a greater vruul, a greater vruul, a greater vruul, a greater vruul, a greater vruul and some enruned black vaalin doors.

That is seriously awesome. That is all.

~ Bill, Coyote.

The best government is a benevolent tyranny tempered by an occasional assassination.
~ Voltaire
Re: Greater Vruul 12/29/2014 04:21 PM CST
>>>[Sheruvian Monastery, Chapel]

job fer Clunk?

Clunk

(Buy your swords at CBD weapons in Zul Logoth.)
Re: Greater Vruul 12/31/2014 04:07 PM CST
>disarm door
>You carefully begin to examine some carved haon double doors for traps...
>The lock appears to be free of all obstructions.

This is the messaging for a scarab trap after the scarab has been removed from it.
Re: Greater Vruul 01/01/2015 02:31 AM CST
Yeah, I figured someone else had removed it ... one way or another. It does seem that it takes a while for the bug to reappear.

Re: Greater Vruul 01/01/2015 07:01 AM CST
>Yeah, I figured someone else had removed it ... one way or another. It does seem that it takes a while for the bug to reappear.

It would be a pretty exploitable bug if it was replaced fast.
Re: Greater Vruul 01/01/2015 12:05 PM CST
>It would be a pretty exploitable bug if it was replaced fast.

I see what you did there!