Two questions 10/06/2011 09:15 PM CDT
Can't really find a better place for this so here goes:

1. Is there a way to do a search within the forums? That would certainly ease my hunting for whatever my question of the day might be. If it doesn't exist, is there any chance of that being added? I don't peruse tons of forums out there, but of the half-dozen or so that I do, this is the only one that doesn't have an obvious "Search" function.

2. Is there any easy way to get the pages to load/reload without every one coming up with "Do you want to view only the webpage content that was deliveredy securely? This webpage contains content that will not be delivered using a secure HTTPS connection, which could compromise the security of the entire webpage."

Thanks.
Re: Two questions 10/06/2011 09:56 PM CDT
1) Not easily, no. In fact, just -- no.

2) Get Firefox.

Doug
Re: Two questions 10/06/2011 10:05 PM CDT
The general 'crappiness' of the forums has long been an issue, and despite multiple, ongoing suggestions to use vbulletin, it has been stated that that will not happen, for multiple (possibly legitimate) reasons.

As for your question, best way to search the forums is to use google, and best way to not get those security suggestions is to use Firefox/Chrome/something else besides IE. You can also go in and change your security settings in IE, but I don't remember the exact setting that needs to be changed.

-Taakhooshi, and Me

For the Story of Taakhooshi:
http://www.gsguide.net/index.php?title=Taakhooshi
Re: Two questions 10/06/2011 11:50 PM CDT
I don't get the security suggestions with Safari, either.

--David

"At a moment like this, I can't help but wonder, 'What would Jimmy Buffett do?'"
Re: Two questions 10/07/2011 07:50 AM CDT
It's probably a matter of "what we're used to", but when I try to follow other peoples' bulletin boards I get all confuzzled. So put me down in the "WHAT crappiness of boards are you talking about?" camp. <shrug>
Re: Two questions 10/08/2011 01:35 PM CDT
I don't get the security warning, using Windows 7 and IE8. I have read people previously on other forums where that's an issue saying they did an internet search for that phrase and there was a pretty easy setting change that corrected the issue.

As to the search function, it's something that Simu has said they would like, and it is being looked at. As to when it would be implemented is unknown. I doubt they really know either. It's one of those things that when it shows up, cheer and be glad but until then no we don't have a search function.

Others have made some suggestions on how to work around it. Also, several mods have repeatedly offered that if you see a post that you think contains valuable information that should be saved just email the mod for that forum and they can see about making it permanent.

For now, since Simu has the forums tied directly to accounts - and accounts obviously contain billing information - the boards are a very custom written affair. For obvious reasons it would be a poor choice to use commercial software such as vbulletin since it opens up so many doors to hackers obtaining personal information and/or credit card information.

B
Re: Two questions 10/08/2011 02:34 PM CDT
For obvious reasons it would be a poor choice to use commercial software such as vbulletin since it opens up so many doors to hackers obtaining personal information and/or credit card information.

This is actually opinion, and may or may not be fact, depending on who you ask. I happen to disagree with the actual security risk.

-Taakhooshi, and Me

Re: Two questions 10/08/2011 02:42 PM CDT

<<This is actually opinion, and may or may not be fact, depending on who you ask. I happen to disagree with the actual security risk.

-Taakhooshi, and Me>>

It is the opinion of those who make such decisions. It ain't happening folks.
Re: Two questions 10/08/2011 02:47 PM CDT
For obvious reasons it would be a poor choice to use commercial software such as vbulletin since it opens up so many doors to hackers obtaining personal information and/or credit card information.

>>This is actually opinion, and may or may not be fact, depending on who you ask. I happen to disagree with the actual security risk.

>>-Taakhooshi, and Me

How is that opinion? Either vbulletin opens up doors to hackers or it doesn't. You can think it doesn't as much you want to, but that doesn't make it so. Maybe there are ways to make it more secure, but why waste the time when you already have a secure BBS? Seriously, is a search function worth compromising security? That's where opinion comes in.
Re: Two questions 10/08/2011 03:36 PM CDT
It is the opinion of those who make such decisions. It ain't happening folks.

Yeah, I know, Sleken, was just trying to correct some misinformation.

How is that opinion? Either vbulletin opens up doors to hackers or it doesn't. You can think it doesn't as much you want to, but that doesn't make it so. Maybe there are ways to make it more secure, but why waste the time when you already have a secure BBS? Seriously, is a search function worth compromising security? That's where opinion comes in.

Being pretty well educated in the computer security field, I happen to disagree. Vbulletin can be made to be quite secure, and it's not that hard to do. And, there are plenty of features on vbulletin besides search that would make these forums much more user friendly. Subscribed threads, easy search, private messaging, etc...

But, as Sleken said, it ain't gonna happen.

-Taakhooshi, and Me