Where to Start? 05/25/2016 02:25 PM CDT
Hello all,

Relatively new warrior here. I'm not quite 15th yet, but I plan on joining the Guild ASAP for the plethora of skills. I'm sure I could just start anywhere and work through all of them eventually, but RP factors aside, is there one skill that is considered a 'must start first' type of skill? I think I'm going to try to focus on getting Feint as quickly as possible, and disarm would be useful for defensive purposes. I think I read somewhere that most people train Berserk early both for the mechanical benefits as well as the ease of training early on? Any help would be super appreciated.

Thanks!
-D
Re: Where to Start? 05/25/2016 03:02 PM CDT
>>Relatively new warrior here. I'm not quite 15th yet, but I plan on joining the Guild ASAP for the plethora of skills. I'm sure I could just start anywhere and work through all of them eventually, but RP factors aside, is there one skill that is considered a 'must start first' type of skill? I think I'm going to try to focus on getting Feint as quickly as possible, and disarm would be useful for defensive purposes. I think I read somewhere that most people train Berserk early both for the mechanical benefits as well as the ease of training early on? Any help would be super appreciated.

Berserk is fun, useful, and fairly easy to rank up in. The other skill I made a priority was warcries. I liked the benefits and as my warrior is in sunfist the fact that it used a different resource(vocal chord stress) was a perk. Wtrick up to feint is another solid training choice.
Re: Where to Start? 05/25/2016 04:20 PM CDT
With each warrior I've played, I always went for tricks and berserk first. No partner reps so they are easier for me to get done and mechanically very useful.

AIM: GS4Menos

>Like men we'll face the murderous, cowardly pack,
>Pressed to the wall, dying, but fighting back!
Re: Where to Start? 05/25/2016 04:22 PM CDT
Wait to level 20 before doing serious work. The points required at levels 15-19 are a lot higher. (No discount for not being at the wall until level 20)

You don't need disarm for defensive reasons any time soon. Get it for offensive ones by all means, if thats a skill you'd like to use, but its a waste of ranks to push it high early for defense.

Berserk is a sound choice for early training as is tricks. Feint is a very useful tool for one on one hunting.

You really need to be a THW user to see much benefit from tackle. (And I'm not that convinced it does much for them) Get a rank for RP use.

Get one rank of batter so you can do it (to things like the GY gate) but otherwise there's not much to be gained from pushing it.

Warcries are a lot more useful now than they used to be. I trained them 3rd (after tricks and berserk) for RP reasons, but never got much use out of them until long after I mastered them.
Re: Where to Start? 05/25/2016 06:54 PM CDT

>Wait to level 20 before doing serious work. The points required at levels 15-19 are a lot higher. (No discount for not being at the wall until level 20)

Awesome! Ok, so it sounds like tricks, berserk and warcries are the way to go as far as focuses to start. And I can reasonably wait until 20 to really start to push myself in the Guild.

Thank you everyone for the advice!
Re: Where to Start? 05/25/2016 07:57 PM CDT
I agree on tricks, if nothing else to get feint. And I would definitely save batter for last. I did not find warcries to be nearly that important, though. I would say do tricks and berserk first, but my warriors have used tackle a lot. I guess it is less important now that you can get shield bash or other knockdowns in other ways, but I still find tackle more reliable sometimes. So I would say tricks and berserk, then disarm, tackle, warcries, and batter in that order.

--David

"At a moment like this, I can't help but wonder, 'What would Jimmy Buffett do?'"
Re: Where to Start? 05/25/2016 09:11 PM CDT
First off, get the first rank of everything. It goes super fast, rank 1 doesn't count against your training limit, it gives you enough batter to open the landing GY gate, etc. After that, in my opinion:

Tricks first. Feint is one of the most important skills in the game for a warrior, period. Your Warrior Tricks ranks substitute for CMAN ranks, so don't stop after learning feint, keep going all the way to 63 to get the most skill with it as possible.

When you need to diversify, diversify with Berserk. It'll be a good tool down the line, but when you're 15-25, your ability to tank hits hasn't really developed yet. You're not trained for plate yet and you don't have much or any redux. Berserk is thus less useful both offensively (you'll take it on the chin a lot and won't have a ton of MOC to power it) and defensively (you'll get a lot more long stuns or shots that outright murder you). Once you hit 30ish, you'll be able to master Berserk, and it'll be more useful.

Warcries third. It's a great group skill and it's a great skill to use in swarms. (You can WARCRY <CRY> ALL to target everything; I'm not sure the Guild ever tells you this.) It uses its own recovery system, not stamina, not mana, and not voln favor, which is nice. And even if you don't use it for any of that, you can give yourself +20 AS.

After that disarm is nice for defensive purposes, and is a niche skill to inflict some RT on a weapon-user that you can't stun and can't/don't want to bellow at.

Tackle and batter are not useful under any normal game circumstance. If you want to 2x perception and disarm to bash open boxes, go for it. I wouldn't. Tackle gets a penalty for having weapons in your hand, and gives you 7 RT. SEVEN RT! Think of the things you could do in 7 RT. You could bellow and growl with 1 RT to spare. You could feint and disarm for 1 RT more. You can feint and ambush the leg for 2 RT more, far less stamina, and actually do serious damage, not just piddly HP/spike/flare stuff.

Tackle's main use is training other warriors in tackle. Tackle's secondary use is when you take little characters hunting.

(I would rather tackle take very little RT, say 3 or 4, but leave you kneeling afterward. At least it'd have a niche use then as a high-risk, high-reward takedown.)
Re: Where to Start? 05/25/2016 09:36 PM CDT

Is it absolutely necessary to join the Guild and learn these skills to be successful? For rp reasons, I have put Lasindriel in the guild yet, but I don't want to cut off my nose to spite my face. :)
Re: Where to Start? 05/25/2016 10:26 PM CDT
It's not absolutely needed, but it is an advantage for certain. You don't have to join a society either, but I'd say the guild is more optional since you can CMAN a lot of them.

Berserk in particular is a must and the guild at max rank has a 6th modifier for rank vs. CMANs.
Re: Where to Start? 05/26/2016 02:51 AM CDT
>Tackle and batter are not useful under any normal game circumstance.

Well, I do use tackle sometimes, and it works well for me. I use it less now that I have shield bash, but some critters are very hard to bash and much easier to tackle. Yes, it has 7 seconds RT, but it puts critters down for longer and is pretty reliable. As I said, I do not use it all the time, but I definitely do not agree that it is not useful at all.

--David

"At a moment like this, I can't help but wonder, 'What would Jimmy Buffett do?'"
Re: Where to Start? 05/26/2016 08:28 AM CDT
Tackle with qstrike is also not quite as bad since you dont get charged a weapon penalty. I will frequently use that to get a more reasonable RT. Not the best option but its there. I would not go out of the way to learn it, however, which is a shame as I always considered it a defining part of the guild. Atleast you dont have to use CMAN points for it. For me I went tricks, berserk, warcries, tackle then batter.
Re: Where to Start? 05/26/2016 09:50 AM CDT
"It's not absolutely needed, but it is an advantage for certain." -- Geijon

If you find yourself with skads of time on your hands, then the Guild is a great boon. It lets you free up CMan points from things that even spellcasters find nearly required (Feint, Disarm) so that you can use the CMan points for something more esoteric OR even shift the raw training points into something unrelated.

On the other hand, if you find yourself not logging in a whole hell of a lot and wanting to spend time with buddies when you are here, then avoiding the Guild and just sinking the training points into those CMans is still available to you.

It's similar to Bards and the musical instruments: you can spend the time training in them to boost your Sonic Disruption/1030 (and have training points to spend in things other than Lore), OR you can sink the training points into Lore and save time.

It is good to have options.
Re: Where to Start? 05/30/2016 03:59 PM CDT
My warrior is an elf, so the bonus to warcries and penalty to tackle might be coloring things. It was good when there was no CMAN system. Now, it's just kinda there.

>Tackle with qstrike is also not quite as bad since you dont get charged a weapon penalty.

That also means you don't get your CMAN/Bonding bonus to the roll, though. That's a +16 to +20 difference to your endroll that weapon-based CMANs get.