Poll 11/28/2017 06:49 PM CST

2 questions:

1. When information is released, would you rather:

a. Have everything on the Officials for people to sort through.

b. Have everything put directly on the Wiki in a comprehensive manner, and linked to from the Officials.

2. When Simu sends out a promotional event email, do you think it links to the Wiki because:

a. That's where the information is about the event.

b. They want to honor the players who contribute.
Re: Poll 11/28/2017 07:02 PM CST
1: b*
2: a

* Ultimately, I'd like the information to be released, period. Having official data in the official data section (the wiki, since the website has never been updated promptly, and my understanding is that's a major point of why KP was eaten and became the official wiki) is ideal, but if it's going to be a serious blocker to someone releasing information because they're not comfortable with updating the wiki, then I'll take what I can get.

---
Walsor Gryhm says, "Hmm, a most impressive weapon of note. I'll give you 16 silver coins for it."
You think to yourself, "This deal is getting worse all the time."
Re: Poll 11/28/2017 07:13 PM CST
1) Depends on the nature of the information. For something like a spell release where there's not much of a time constraint, it should be 1: post on officials and discuss on officials, which leads to greater insight, then 2: add to wiki as the Q&A dies down and details are solidified. For an event where there is a definite time constraint, I think your option B might be more appropriate but would still prefer to see information posted on officials in part for the benefit of ANNOUNCEMENT notification and archiving.

2) A
Re: Poll 11/29/2017 01:55 AM CST
What Naamit said.

>>You slay me woman! ~ Wyrom

https://gswiki.play.net/Rohese_Bayvel-Timsh'l
Re: Poll 11/29/2017 07:20 AM CST
I vote for modern forums software that makes finding informational posts easy and can handle mundane things like actually making real polls that people can respond to.
Anything that reduces the continually fracturing community across numerous player owned entities to pick up the slack that Simutronics refuses to do so.

Wyrom says, "Ordim is the reason savants won't be coded as well."
Re: Poll 11/29/2017 07:59 AM CST
I remain pretty happy with this board software, that requires people posting to be actual customers of the company (although F2P means that someone can now post without having to pay).

The two biggest differences from <everywhere else I see people talking about posting> are
1) those other sites tend to allow for avatars and imbedded pictures and dancing GIFs and all sorts of cutesy animated crap, and
2) those other sites tend to allow for posters to go back days or weeks or months later and change what was said in a message.

Neither of those represents content desirable to me.
(I like reading "plain text Boards" [and yes, I have all of the avatars turned off]. I like being able to follow a conversation all the way through; if someone later posts an update or correction, then it's obvious when their mind got changed.)

It's almost like reading a chain of emails. Or texts. Somebody says something. Someone else later says something else. Amazing!
Re: Poll 11/29/2017 02:03 PM CST
>Anything that reduces the continually fracturing community across numerous player owned entities

A thousand times, yes.
Re: Poll 11/29/2017 02:14 PM CST
Is the in-game news being phased out?
Re: Poll 11/29/2017 02:42 PM CST

>Is the in-game news being phased out?

no, the poll has specific questions and options to reflect specific issues with official documentation, promotions, and how players get information outside of the game.
Re: Poll 11/29/2017 04:23 PM CST
1. It should all be posted to the Officials directly whether or not the GM updates the wiki with the info themselves. Clicking links on forums, in general, is not a habit anyone should get in the habit of for security reasons.

2. Don't know and don't care.... 90% of the promotional emails don't get sent to me in the first place for some reason (yes, they have the correct email, everything sent to my play.net seems to go through)

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Poll 11/29/2017 04:34 PM CST
>>I remain pretty happy with this board software, that requires people posting to be actual customers of the company (although F2P means that someone can now post without having to pay).

Not to drag this thread into this discussion too much, but you literally can't easily browse for a thread if it falls off the list.
You can actually see more threads when you LOG OUT then you can when you LOG IN. How does that make ANY sense?
No search functionality.
Two majorly different views that means you have to link to a specific post number to even hope of showing someone the exact thing you are looking at.
No modern functionality
mediocre and obtuse formating

And the whole "paid customers only" and "its attached to billing" is 100% trash considering you have the wiki linked up to Simutronics accounts and working perfectly fine.

Wyrom says, "Ordim is the reason savants won't be coded as well."
Re: Poll 11/29/2017 06:12 PM CST

1. When information is released, would you rather:

a. Have everything on the Officials for people to sort through.

b. Have everything put directly on the Wiki in a comprehensive manner, and linked to from the Officials.

Honestly - It depends on the content. Given how many things change I'm fine with a. until things are final / have settled down a bit. I'm not a fan of having to click links every time I want to read the message.

I'm more interested in having things that haven't been recently announced being available on the wikki so that I can find them without having to search through the forums.

2. When Simu sends out a promotional event email, do you think it links to the Wiki because:

a. That's where the information is about the event.

b. They want to honor the players who contribute.

I don't care what their reason is? I almost never read the promotional emails as I'm generally already aware of the events via the official forums. This is true even if the email goes out before the information is announced on the officials because I'm just not that into email.

-- Robert aka Faulkil

-- Robert

Due to the volatile atmosphere, random bolts of lightning can intermittently be seen streaking through the skyline.
Re: Poll 11/29/2017 06:54 PM CST
> I almost never read the promotional emails as I'm generally already aware of the events via the official forums.

Slight tangent, but I'd like to see promo emails sent with greater haste.
Re: Poll 11/30/2017 09:16 AM CST
"[a] Not to drag this thread into this discussion too much, but you literally can't easily browse for a thread if it falls off the list.
[b] You can actually see more threads when you LOG OUT then you can when you LOG IN. How does that make ANY sense?" -- JoeKups

Addressing [b] first... yes, it does make sense. Because anyone NOT logged in, is not a customer, and is forced to see ALL of the messages. Anyone who IS a customer--and logged in--is only bothered by those messages that that person has not yet read.
"Good to see you again, Mr. Kirk; here's today's newspaper!" "Thanks!"
"Hey, buddy. Here's all the newspapers. Ever." "...Thanks?"

Which coffee shop am I more likely to spend my time at?

As to [a], though, I don't get where this is a real problem any more. In today's world, throughput/bandwidth should mean the difference between "click/see text", and "click ... ... ... see text", even if you're loading up several thousand messages.
Oh, look, I'm on message #241.
Click in box at top of page, type "1", hit "Enter" ... ... ... See all messages from #1 to #241.
Ctrl+F, search on page for keyword "wiki". Solved.

I routinely search things out in 'hot' topics--Ebon Gate, Duskruin--by loading up 3000+ messages at time. (Pro Tip: Most of the topics here don't even have 3000 total messages.)
If I know for a fact that they were from staff, I can limit that to authors of "gs4-%" or "simu-%".
Re: Poll 11/30/2017 09:47 AM CST

>Clicking links on forums, in general, is not a habit anyone should get in the habit of for security reasons.

???????????????????????????????????????

we're talking about links to the wiki, which is on the play.net domain.
Re: Poll 11/30/2017 12:56 PM CST
<we're talking about links to the wiki, which is on the play.net domain.>

Yes, and I seriously doubt any NIR would ever post a bad link. Take note of the "in general", I was referring to the habit being a security risk. Clicking on links on forums without taking a good look at where they're taking you is a good way to get malware or worse. The more anyone follows a link, the less likely they are to look close enough at the URL to spot one sending them to a domain that looks similar but takes them somewhere they don't want to be.

It's one of several reasons why I take the time to type out answers to questions on the forums rather then just posting links to where the info can be found on the wiki.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Poll 11/30/2017 01:13 PM CST
There are many players in the world who enjoy learning and experimenting with things, even if they are things that are known and well-documented. These players tend to stay in-game and dislike reading message boards, or a wiki, or a guide, because it spoils the mystery. Solving these mysteries on their own is a big part of why they play. They see games as entertainment, a diversion, problem-solving, something to do for awhile and come back to later. Conversely, there are players who want all the answers up-front, to minimize risks, costs, and time. To be the best. They tend to see games as an investment, a race, something to win. Both types of players currently play this game, although the latter are now in the majority. I feel that having a way to announce basic changes to the game, in the game, without all the details would help cater to the former.
Re: Poll 11/30/2017 01:59 PM CST

>I feel that having a way to announce basic changes to the game, in the game, without all the details would help cater to the former.

do you regularly check NEWS NEXT? I know that details are included in that as they are usually copy/paste from the boards, but you can try to look at headlines and maybe skip everything else?

Do you mean more like brief release storylines/events with NPCs involved? If so, I agree, I love those. I haven't been IG for the empath releases so I don't know if anything was done for those, and don't recall seeing any reports in my TownCrier emails. I have seen OOC announcements in the past without an IC event as spells were released without any details, along the lines of, "Empaths now have access to New Spell."

As I said earlier, the questions and options of the poll are very specific to very specific issues, and was meant to address those issues rather than intentionally exclude any type of player, but I enjoyed your input.

>These players tend to stay in-game and dislike reading message boards, or a wiki, or a guide, because it spoils the mystery. Solving these mysteries on their own is a big part of why they play.

Do you spend time when not logged in learning about mechanics or game lore or anything else about GS? If so, where do you look? I love the richness of the world of GS and cannot be logged in a majority of the time, so I found that looking at and contributing to outside sources is a way to expand my knowledge and improve and focus the time I spend in game.
Re: Poll 12/01/2017 04:30 PM CST
>Do you spend time when not logged in learning about mechanics or game lore or anything else about GS? If so, where do you look? I love the richness of the world of GS and cannot be logged in a majority of the time, so I found that looking at and contributing to outside sources is a way to expand my knowledge and improve and focus the time I spend in game.

Yes, I do. Anyone reading this probably does. Some don't, though. The NEWS verb should be enough to alert these players of changes. I've noticed sometimes changes are not announced there. It really helps to have some kind of notice in-game as well as out, even if it's just a regular (weekly/monthly?) recap.