OK Google, what herb do I need? 08/30/2017 08:55 AM CDT
What could we do on the Wiki to let smart assistants answer questions about what herb heals what injuries?

If I ask the Google Assistant on my phone, "In the Gemstone 4 game, what herb heals minor limb injuries?" it will provide a link to the herb guide on play.net and on the wiki. But I want it to just say "ambrominas leaf." It would also be helpful if I could ask it about Icemule, Pinefar or Teras herbs.

At first I thought maybe if we put hidden text on the Wiki with a separate sentence for each herb (e.g., "In the Gemstone 4 game, ambrominas leaf is the herb that heals minor limb injuries." "In the Gemstone 4 game, basal moss is the herb that heals minor torso injuries." and so on) and then waited several days for the search engine to index that information, then that might work. But I see that there is already a separate wiki page for ambrominas leaf that contains a similar sentence.

There is probably a way I could get my personal Google Assistant to answer herb questions using its Remember command or using IFTTT, but by now I've pretty much got the herbs memorized, and that solution would only work for one person.

Herbs seems like a good place to start because it is a fairly easy topic that would be useful to other people.
Re: OK Google, what herb do I need? 08/30/2017 11:33 AM CDT
A meta description field was invented for web pages when tables were a new innovation in a web document. They are expressly for this purpose and factor heavily into resulting click-throughs on web searches.

I don't know why the wiki doesn't use them. :( I went looking for them when I was writing ;whatis.

So I'm going to suggest a script called ;herbs2 for you if you use Lich. It won't work with your phone, but it will quickly pop up a list of what herbs work for which injuries in each location of the Realms, and monsterbold the one/s you need at that moment.

~L.

---
Rohese: "... the TownCrier (tune in if you haven’t, it’s without doubt the best thing to ever happen on LNet)"
;tune towncrier
Re: OK Google, what herb do I need? 08/30/2017 11:43 AM CDT

>I don't know why the wiki doesn't use them.

because someone has to go in and individually create them. The wiki doesn't have a professional webmaster who knows the ins and outs of webpage design, and depending on Simu for that type of input or help is unproductive. If you feel this is a major issue that the wiki is lacking, please start a discussion in the village pump and we'll see what we can do.
Re: OK Google, what herb do I need? 08/30/2017 12:28 PM CDT
Is this referring to structured data markup?
https://developers.google.com/search/docs/guides/
Re: OK Google, what herb do I need? 08/30/2017 01:00 PM CDT
Many information-heavy sites generate these crucial markups automatically from the first paragraph on the page, too. It's not optimal, but it saves work.

Whether you mean content or coding, Allereli, you're right. If there is not someone in charge of it at the home office ... we're going to have to do what we can with what we have.

Back to the question at hand, one could BUILD a mobile-friendly, search-friendly herbs web site, get Google on it, and PRESTO! Your voice assistant should be able to find the information.

;herbs2 seems quicker to me :)

~L

---
Rohese: "... the TownCrier (tune in if you haven’t, it’s without doubt the best thing to ever happen on LNet)"
;tune towncrier
Re: OK Google, what herb do I need? 08/30/2017 01:11 PM CDT
<< So I'm going to suggest a script called ;herbs2 for you if you use Lich. It won't work with your phone, but it will quickly pop up a list of what herbs work for which injuries in each location of the Realms, and monsterbold the one/s you need at that moment. >>

Thanks! That would certainly be more efficient than speaking a question and waiting for an audible answer. I was just thinking it would be fun to get the so-called "smart" assistants to respond audibly to a request for info about GS4.
Re: OK Google, what herb do I need? 08/30/2017 01:18 PM CDT

>I was just thinking it would be fun to get the so-called "smart" assistants to respond audibly to a request for info about GS4.

Alexa integration would definitely be something I'm interested in
Re: OK Google, what herb do I need? 08/30/2017 02:33 PM CDT
I cant do it on my phone but there is a focus search link some GM made that searches only GM specific sites. If i remember i will loom it up when i get home.
Re: OK Google, what herb do I need? 08/30/2017 02:41 PM CDT

>I cant do it on my phone but there is a focus search link some GM made that searches only GM specific sites.

I think he meant GS specific sites:

http://gs4search.surge.sh/

This should probably be updated to include the Elanthian Forums, Twitter, and Reddit (if that's going to be used regularly). I believe Wyrom has the info to do that.
Re: OK Google, what herb do I need? 08/30/2017 03:40 PM CDT

<< Alexa integration would definitely be something I'm interested in >>

I'm so deep in Google's other products that I only use their assistant. If GS subscribers are like the rest of the population, then more than twice as many of them have Alexa than Google Assistant.

I looked at Google's support site today. They say you can make an app for Google Assistant in 30 minutes. I'm sure it would take me more like 30 hours. It would probably be fun, though. In checking out some of the apps for Google Assistant, I decided that the developers didn't even use their full 30 minutes. I'm sure I could do better than some of them, including some of the big names who have apps.

Do not put music at the beginning! When you're looking for a quick answer, you don't want to listen to introductory music. If you're going to have a sound effect, make it no more than 0.75 seconds.

I think we would need Simu's permission before publishing an app or skill.
Re: OK Google, what herb do I need? 08/30/2017 03:40 PM CDT
Oooh, what fun!

Alexa, in Gemstone, what herb do I need for a minor limb injury?

... don't tempt me to go there. I have THINGS that need doing instead.

---
;tune towncrier
Re: OK Google, what herb do I need? 08/30/2017 03:44 PM CDT

>Alexa, in Gemstone, what herb do I need for a minor limb injury?

Alexa already keeps my animate timer because I cannot sort the spell active window the way I want to (either by choosing which ones are at the top or allow sorting by duration left)
Re: OK Google, what herb do I need? 08/31/2017 09:00 AM CDT
"I cannot sort the spell active window the way I want to (either by choosing which ones are at the top or allow sorting by duration left)" -- The WikiWitch

The last I paid attention, aren't they grouped by list in order by level?
(And seeing that word, 'window', made me think, "Okay, THERE is a reason to use StormFront (rather than having to type out/hit the macro for, 'Spell Active', each time).")
(With the Wizard, is it possible to train one of the sub-windows that doesn't get used (like Familiar, for a non-Wizard character, or Thought (for pretty much all of me)) to accept the 'spell active' readout?)
Re: OK Google, what herb do I need? 08/31/2017 09:01 AM CDT
"Alexa, in Gemstone, what herb do I need for a minor limb injury?" -- Luxelle

Hmmm. You didn't tell me what town you're in.
Re: OK Google, what herb do I need? 08/31/2017 10:27 AM CDT
>>"Alexa, in Gemstone, what herb do I need for a minor limb injury?" -- Luxelle

I am doomed. You have given me a project idea that now won't get out of my head.