Player Wiki Admins 06/18/2017 11:32 AM CDT
Why are there player administrators locking other players out on the wiki? How were these players chosen? Why does plat not have a SINGLE player administrator to my knowledge? Do we have to go back to using GSGuide if we want to be free to edit our work?

Keith/Brinret/Eronderl

Keith is correct
-Wyrom, APM

Keith is correct.
-GameMaster Estild

Re: Player Wiki Admins 06/18/2017 01:07 PM CDT
To be fair... has anybody in platinum asked and been denied?
Re: Player Wiki Admins 06/18/2017 01:57 PM CDT
>To be fair... has anybody in platinum asked and been denied?

No idea on the answer to this, but I will note that this was not the only question in the post. I think the very first question is the one that most needs an answer.

--David

"At a moment like this, I can't help but wonder, 'What would Jimmy Buffett do?'"
Re: Player Wiki Admins 06/18/2017 02:20 PM CDT
>>Why are there player administrators locking other players out on the wiki? How were these players chosen? Why does plat not have a SINGLE player administrator to my knowledge? Do we have to go back to using GSGuide if we want to be free to edit our work?

I'm going to submit my response that I posted in the DM folder here as well:

>>I responded to Issalya regarding this in PMs. The reason it was locked was to fix the formatting as it had been changed to accomodate the requests of other players, which in and of itself is fine. The issue stemmed from how it was fixed in that it created a TOC that took up a significant amount of space even before you got to the meat of the article. It was locked in order to fix the formatting while maintaining the requests of the players in how the tables were represented. It was unlocked shortly thereafter in order to allow people to continue to contribute. Nothing beyond that was undone or redone.

#bardlife
Re: Player Wiki Admins 06/18/2017 03:26 PM CDT
I want to be clear that I'm not upset with you in the slightest. I understand why you locked it and you did fix it very quickly. What I don't understand is why you were ABLE to lock it. This isn't like the blue names on the forums where it's a pretty color when you post. This is giving you some pretty significant power over other players. I'd like to know what prompted the decision to give you, and likely others, administrative access to the wiki. Further who has said access, how one earns said access and if Platinum is properly represented in that admin group.

I'm sure the powers that be just decided the most prevalent wiki updates could have admin access but it was never make public knowledge. I trust Wyrom has the best of intentions but I'd like a more open discourse about the implementation. I keep bringing up Platinum because there are a few Platinum players who are regular wiki contributors who have expressed that they do not have this kind of access and it leaves them feeling left out or put out.

Keith/Brinret/Eronderl

Keith is correct
-Wyrom, APM

Keith is correct.
-GameMaster Estild

Re: Player Wiki Admins 06/18/2017 03:55 PM CDT
I want to be clear - the access level some of the significant major contributors have earned is not 'admin' access. Trust me, I wish it were sometimes, usually when I'm trying to accomplish cool things. But it's not.

And I do not like the label of the access level granted, since it implies things that I don't believe anyone currently so labeled wants as part of the work. So I am purposefully not using it here.

I agree that our Platinum players may be under-represented here. Even though I am a Platinum player with said access, I don't frequent Platinum enough to be able to catch all the nuances that Platinum enjoys. And there are some very specific things to Platinum that I would love to see incorporated. I'd suggest probably two or three members who are comfortable contributing on the WIKI be considered. I'll be happy to help support the nominations forward myself.

I think the most unfortunate portion of all of this is the Gnomette's response. Breaks my heart.

Doug
Re: Player Wiki Admins 06/18/2017 04:25 PM CDT

I'm sorry, I could not support a person who dramatically changes the format of a page that was set up yesterday by an active current moderator to become a moderator him/herself. If you want to dramatically change the format of a page that has just recently been created and obvious effort has been put into it, use the talk pages or email the page creator.

The lockdown that was done was not done against "Platinum players," why you turn it into a Plat vs. Prime thing is way beyond my comprehension. The lockdown was to fix the formatting.
Re: Player Wiki Admins 06/18/2017 04:50 PM CDT
As I said in the Delirium Manor topic, we have set some players as moderators to the wiki. We currently have one lead moderator that has put in 60 hours a month consistently since our transition.

If you're interested in becoming a moderator, please make sure you can set aside 10 hours a month and have made a significant number of contributions to the wiki as whole (not just in a single area). Just shoot me an email.
Kaikala and myself will review everything to see if you'd be a good fit. While I realize some people might think the one single thing they want to work on is a big deal, we'd need you to be able to look at 5000+ pages on our wiki as a whole and be able to help out with formatting.

Wyrom, PM
Re: Player Wiki Admins 06/18/2017 04:53 PM CDT
Thank you Wyrom. It's good to have a process by which one might become a moderator. It feels less like a shadowy cabal of power mad dictators running the wiki this way. ;)

Keith/Brinret/Eronderl

Keith is correct
-Wyrom, APM

Keith is correct.
-GameMaster Estild

Re: Player Wiki Admins 06/18/2017 05:37 PM CDT
The forum would be a hot mess without the time people put into the wiki. So we appreciate it. Style guides, and more importantly, following style guides, is the hardest part of managing a wiki.

Wyrom, PM