Naming the new raffle system 09/06/2016 06:33 PM CDT
So we've been having a discussion in the "Good" folder about the name for the new raffle system that Wyrom put together. Thus far we've got the following suggestions:

Auffle: The thought here was that it's random like a raffle but those who spend more have a better chance to win so it's halfway between an auction and a standard raffle "fairness" wise.

Ruction: Same as above, I am honestly only adding this one because someone pointed out to me that this is online so technically it's an "e-ruction"

Raffle 2.0: Self explanatory, this is the new raffle system. Only problem is this feels like a replacement for the old raffle system, which it isn't.

Flexible Raffles: This presumably references the flexible time frame of the drawings because a GM has to pull the ticket manually.

Multi-Ticket Raffle: Referencing the ability to buy multiple tickets.

Unlimited Ticket Raffles: Same as above.

So the question is what do you like or dislike? Does anyone have any other ideas? Wyrom you want to just tell us what we're going to call this?

Keith/Brinret/Shiun

Keith is correct

Wyrom, APM

http://forums.play.net/forums/GemStone%20IV/Help%20for%20Players/Policy%20Discussions/view/246
Re: Naming the new raffle system 09/06/2016 06:37 PM CDT
Also Special Raffles (aka Spraffles) should be on the list.

-- Robert

A powerful whirlpool is suddenly overtaken by a windy vortex!
Re: Naming the new raffle system 09/06/2016 06:38 PM CDT
I like unlimited ticket raffle. Call that my vote.

Sweet is the sound of the pouring rain,
And the stream that falls from the hill to plain.
Better than rain or rippling brook,
Is a mug of beer inside this Took.
Re: Naming the new raffle system 09/06/2016 06:44 PM CDT

One aspect people are failing to mention is the ability for them to select an offline player. Though naturally it would still be up to the merchant how soon you must claim your win for it to be eligible.
Re: Naming the new raffle system 09/06/2016 06:55 PM CDT
Suggestion from Stunseed: Dedicated Event Raffle Presentation....or DERP

Unlimited Physical Ticket Offline Winning New Raffles - UPTOWN Raffles

Keith/Brinret/Shiun

Keith is correct

Wyrom, APM

http://forums.play.net/forums/GemStone%20IV/Help%20for%20Players/Policy%20Discussions/view/246
Re: Naming the new raffle system 09/07/2016 06:18 AM CDT
I want to emphasize again that multi-ticket raffles are not new. I remember in fact spending a ton of money on tickets trying to get the sorcerer pavis when the professional pavises were raffled in the early 2000s.

Therefore, I don't think the distinguishing or new feature of this more advanced raffle system has anything to do with the number of tickets a character can buy, even if in recent years tickets are most typically limited to one per character.

It's probably not the "number one" reason I don't like the name "Auffle" and probably only like number four or five, but it's the most objective disproof of the principle behind that proposed new name which is in fact a very old mechanic (setting aside that there are no auctions features at all).

Given that Wyrom has stated this is a more complicated system from the backend and isn't replacing the standard one...

Specialty Raffle
Fancy Raffle
Complicated Raffle
Bingo
Alternate Raffle System
Raffle Raffle
Raffle with Waffles
Raffle Offered by Pink Garden Faeries

...but the fact is I'm not even sure it needs a name at all. It certainly didn't need an entirely new gswiki article with an unfavorable, confusing, and inaccurate name, though. All it needed was some information on the existing Raffle wiki separate from the most common raffle type. A section subheading can be as much descriptive as a name, and should tend towards the former for unnamed things. Let's at least make sure the subject heading involves the full word "Raffle" since this is an informational wiki not cryptography. A portmanteau with an unrelated word is just bizarre, and certainly the way to push a new and unusual name for something is not making a wiki article by that name.
Re: Naming the new raffle system 09/07/2016 06:57 AM CDT
I cede the field. This is how you ensure that no one assists on the wiki by berating anyone who does something the five or so original Krakiipedia mods disagrees with. At this point maybe you five should just be given exclusive gswiki mod access and the rest of us can stop bothering. Any time one of you doesn't like something someone else does you just remove it or change it to suit your preferences. This is not the first, fifth or tenth time one of you has taken something I've put work into and removed or completely altered it because you prefer something different. The next time you ask for help keeping something updated and no one does remember this.

Wyrom, I'd like some official rules on wiki updating going forward before I contribute another goddamn thing. If the official stance is that the old krakiipedia mods can just delete or substantially alter anything they want to then make that clear and I'll stop bothering. As it stands so many people have given up contributing to the wiki because of them. This isn't about the "Auffle" page as that was mostly just a fun way for me to share information about the new raffle system. This is about previous event pages that I, and others, put dozens of hours into working on, only to have them completely changed because a few people preferred another format. This is the hacking apart of some of the profession guides to suit the wiki gestapos vision. Quite frankly people are fed up at that this supposedly open player resource is being forcibly controlled by a very small few who apparently answer to no one and can bully whomever they want.

Keith/Brinret/Shiun

Keith is correct

Wyrom, APM

Re: Naming the new raffle system 09/07/2016 07:57 AM CDT

>This is about previous event pages that I, and others, put dozens of hours into working on, only to have them completely changed because a few people preferred another format.

Are you referring to the EG page last year that we worked together on after I showed you how your idea was unworkable due to oversized pages breaking and becoming un-editable? I recall that quite a bit differently. You were also free to go help on the GSGuide list if you wanted.

Are you talking about the Duskruin Arena page? I moved the shop list when the page was getting over-long, and the "format" was changed by updating the shops using the festshop script. None of your information was changed, you had stopped updating the shops in March and I separated the pages in August, you were not keeping the page the current.

You are completely unwilling to listen to those who might have more experience. You also took the original raffle page, which I was the only editor on up to yesterday, changed the wording around a little, and turned it into a competing page with a name that didn't make any sense in order to forward, in your words, "your agenda." Various other players and staff pointed out that the name didn't make sense, no one agreed with your name, and I fixed the problem.

Believe me that official rules is on the list of requests I have for staff. This "open player resource" is something I spent about 2 years on to organize into a much more useful site, it is also supposed to be official documentation. Information need to be comprehensive and easy to find. It is not a free for all, as much as you wish it would be. If you think I answer to no one, you are sorely mistaken. Wyrom can pull my editor and/or moderator rights at any time.
Re: Naming the new raffle system 09/07/2016 08:00 AM CDT
>by berating anyone who does something the five or so original Krakiipedia mods disagrees with.

I am not one of those people, and if I happen to agree with such a person it is purely incidental.

>mods can just delete or substantially alter anything they want

Mostly the information was moved to a location anyone is likely to find it. Some aspects might have been edited (it's a wiki), but the contribution remains.

>This is the hacking apart of some of the profession guides to suit the wiki gestapos vision. Quite frankly people are fed up at that this supposedly open player resource is being forcibly controlled by a very small few who apparently answer to no one and can bully whomever they want.

It's interesting that firstly we don't have official mods. We've been asking for that for awhile. It's pretty typical that wikis have moderators, though.

I would note that I have not sworn in this discussion, compared anyone to mass murderers, or other serious (or hopefully hyperbolic but still inappropriate) comparisons in poor taste when disagreeing. One of the most important things to making a successful wiki editor is knowing that what you do might be changed and the capability to have a civil discussion on the matter. Your post is not helping your point in this regard.

>for me to share information

This is actually the heart of everything. To my mind the critical change was the deletion of a page with an arbitrary name and moving the information to somewhere people might look for it. Our goal is to make your (and everyone's) effort to help share information effective. The wiki is more about its usability to find information by the majority (who don't edit much) rather than only daffodils for people that contribute.

Trust me, if you're lumping Allereli's player and I together as some unified gestapos, you clearly don't know how much time we spend discussing things and disagreeing not infrequently. We just don't take it personally and start calling each other fascists on the forums.
Re: Naming the new raffle system 09/07/2016 08:56 AM CDT
The one big thing I'd like to see is for the default cursor location to be inside the type-in 'Search' box in the upper right.
(Kind of like how on the Boards home page, default cursor location is one of the type-in boxes, either your account name [if you're new to the page on that machine/browser] or your password [if your account name has been used here before, and so is pre-displayed for your convenience].)

The only reason I go to the Wiki is to search for something, and being able to just 'load page, start typing' (rather than having to manipulate the mouse, once I find it) would be a boon.
Re: Naming the new raffle system 09/07/2016 10:03 AM CDT
I don't see why the raffle system needs a new name.

It's a raffle. In real life, you can often buy many tickets to a raffle and sometimes you can't, but either way, it's still a raffle.
Re: Naming the new raffle system 09/07/2016 10:53 AM CDT
I think at this point its not an issue of content but process. This is not the first person i heard complain on process. Standards consistency etc is heavily needed and enforced. I actually agree with that direction heavily. The issue it seems that needs discussed is a better process for enforcing the rules.
Re: Naming the new raffle system 09/07/2016 11:28 AM CDT
>The issue it seems that needs discussed is a better process for enforcing the rules.

I don't see anything wrong with the process for enforcing the rules here so far. Someone made a page with a name that didn't make sense to describe the changes to the raffle system, but a new page wasn't really needed and the name given to the new system is both weird and not used by anyone in game, so it was changed. If the new name generally caught on, then more editors would edit the wiki that way, but it has not.

You can't just coin a new name for something and expect that everyone who edits gswiki is going to agree on its use right away, just like you can't expect that nobody is going to edit your revisions to gswiki. A wiki is a collaborative project by definition and it is relatively democratic, as long as enough people care to take on the job of editing it and cleaning it up.
Re: Naming the new raffle system 09/07/2016 07:18 PM CDT

Hpw about taking ALL the proposed raffle names, making a card deck out of them, and then going through a process that picks a raffle name at random.

We could call it 'riffle raffle'.

Clunk

(Buy your swords at CBD weapons in Zul Logoth.)
Re: Naming the new raffle system 09/08/2016 08:40 PM CDT
Not trying to add fuel to the fire, however...

I found the name Auffle slightly amusing, and a few of my characters may have/might yet use/d it. However, I never got to voice my opinion on the matter, because, less than a few hours after it was posted, it was arbitrarily decided that NO ONE liked the term, and it was removed.

Yes, its silly, it was partially in jest. Who cares? There are sillier names for other excellent events/systems/programs that exist in Gemstone.

I realize that this is indicative of a deeper problem, with long standing history. But, really, relax folks.
Re: Naming the new raffle system 09/08/2016 08:50 PM CDT

>I never got to voice my opinion on the matter, because, less than a few hours after it was posted, it was arbitrarily decided that NO ONE liked the term, and it was removed.

Once Estild posted it was pretty much over. When a senior GM makes a post like that, the decision is made, it was not arbitrary by any means. A raffle is not an auction.