Wiki Downtime 08/11/2016 10:08 AM CDT
Hey everyone, we're going to be pushing a big update to the wikis this Sunday (8/14) starting at noon. They will be largely unavailable and read only until Monday (8/15). This update is so we can have some of the latest MediaWiki software and possibly get some desired extensions for us in the future. It will hopefully help with some performance issues we've been having too.

Wyrom, PM
Re: Wiki Downtime 08/11/2016 10:19 AM CDT

>This update is so we can have some of the latest MediaWiki software and possibly get some desired extensions for us in the future.

Great to hear!
Re: Wiki Downtime 08/11/2016 11:28 AM CDT
Seconded!

Doug
Re: Wiki Downtime 08/11/2016 01:58 PM CDT
I'm glad you quoted his announcement!

I couldn't see any of the other three posts he did.
Re: Wiki Downtime 08/11/2016 03:27 PM CDT
And I guess that is because I somehow had him on ignore :/
Re: Wiki Downtime 08/11/2016 04:38 PM CDT
Could you put this on the front page of the wiki as well?

Re: Wiki Downtime 08/11/2016 04:49 PM CDT

If the server isn't on PHP 7 yet it's worth considering. Minimal to no BC breaks with PHP 5.5 and a literal double speed increase in the majority of web applications. Also, MediaWiki is pretty popular software so the PHP 7 support is likely already there.
Re: Wiki Downtime 08/15/2016 11:23 AM CDT
The wiki is coming back up. I believe we're using short urls now as well. That likely means your bookmarks are dead. But let me know if you notice anything broken. It might be slow coming as we get things back up.

Wyrom, PM
Re: Wiki Downtime 08/15/2016 11:38 AM CDT
Looking fairly good so far - including the search function! Yay.

Checking to see if the math functions are in play, too - but like what I'm seeing so far, even if bookmarks / references need to be updated.

Doug
Re: Wiki Downtime 08/15/2016 11:40 AM CDT
Hmmm. . . well maybe not so much - can't log in. Waiting . . .

Doug
Re: Wiki Downtime 08/15/2016 11:55 AM CDT
Ok, log-in fails with lowercase (used to convert to upper case, but not so much anymore).

To log in, keep in mind at the moment both USERNAME and PASSWORD are case sensitive, and the existing account is very likely ALL CAP.

Math extensions aren't enabled as yet.

Doug
Re: Wiki Downtime 08/15/2016 09:15 PM CDT
Math is working now, at least.

https://gswiki.play.net/Gswiki:Requests#Math_.28TeX.29

Front page is still redirecting to /MediaWiki, though.
Re: Wiki Downtime 08/17/2016 03:11 PM CDT

Whomever is in charge of your wiki update needs to put a 301 redirect on the site for all old links. All google search result links and links posted in forums are going to https://gswiki.play.net/Mediawiki/index.php/BlahBlah they need a redirect to https://gswiki.play.net/BlahBlah

People think the wiki is down, but it's because they are going to the old url's that aren't redirecting. This would keep all your google juice flowing as well and make it so you don't lose your rankings for google searches when people are looking for info.

It should only take about 30 seconds to do, one line in the htaccess, so easy peasy :P
Re: Wiki Downtime 08/17/2016 06:02 PM CDT
It's going to be looked at tomorrow. No ETA, but hopefully something we can get soon.

Wyrom, PM
Re: Wiki Downtime 08/18/2016 09:28 AM CDT
The redirect is now live. Bookmarks and Google search results rejoice!

Wyrom, PM