Login to read 04/01/2015 03:07 PM CDT
Is there a reason we need to login to read the wiki now?
Re: Login to read 04/01/2015 04:18 PM CDT
GSWIKI seems to be broken. It is demanding a log-in to view the wiki. Please fix! :)

~ GtG
Re: Login to read 04/01/2015 05:32 PM CDT
Haaaaalllllppppp! I wanna read pages on the Wiki, but it wants me to log in, I try and log in with my play.net account info, and it says the password is wrong!! HAAALLLPPP!!

Lyquitta, Cleric of Kuon
(Previously: Cylnthia, Paladin of Kuon)
Re: Login to read 04/01/2015 05:37 PM CDT
>>Haaaaalllllppppp! I wanna read pages on the Wiki, but it wants me to log in, I try and log in with my play.net account info, and it says the password is wrong!! HAAALLLPPP!!
This might be a personal problem. No difficulty logging in here.
Re: Login to read 04/01/2015 05:40 PM CDT
(Bug squish and re-post)

<<Haaaaalllllppppp! I wanna read pages on the Wiki, but it wants me to log in, I try and log in with my play.net account info, and it says the password is wrong!! HAAALLLPPP!!>>

<<This might be a personal problem. No difficulty logging in here.>>

Guh. I wonder if it's because I'm on a F2P account?

Gods, please tell me it's not because I'm a F2P account. What's next GSWiki passes in the SimuCoin store?!? Ugh...

Lyquitta, Cleric of Kuon
Re: Login to read 04/01/2015 06:44 PM CDT
Make sure your username is in all caps, and then type in your password.

Doug (or DOUG, who knows. . . )
Re: Login to read 04/01/2015 07:08 PM CDT
is this intended? I certainly hope not.
Re: Login to read 04/01/2015 07:30 PM CDT
Not using it myself until an announcement is made that it's intended.... could be a hacked wiki.
Re: Login to read 04/01/2015 08:19 PM CDT
It's not the end of the world. You can select 'remember my password' and it's good for a week.
Re: Login to read 04/01/2015 08:23 PM CDT
I have a prime account and I need to log in.

I suspect this is a security measure. I know that the sites I manage have multiple hack attacks frequently.

Chad, player of a few
Re: Login to read 04/01/2015 09:02 PM CDT
>>You can select 'remember my password' and it's good for a week.

The entire web is built on the concept of anonymous browsing. Benefits of people wanting to get read up before getting engaged or confusion for new players who probably don't have to log in anywhere else on any other entertainment venue to see if they might be interested seem to be overlooked in such a cavalier statement. And - unfortunate truth - unnecessary exposure of the stored session information through the local system being compromised is a weakness that shouldn't be underestimated, especially when there are so many more local systems than there is a host / server system. Editing (changing content) or greater is where some form of elevated or privileged use should be employed. Leaving it around for seven days? No, I wouldn't ever recommend that (hence why I didn't bite on Wyrom's suggesting the same.)

In short, there's no good security reason for this in the long term. If, however, there's specific work being done that opens potential vulnerabilities until that work is complete, then yes - it would be wise to prevent any anonymous activity. . . at least until the specific work is done.

Doug
Re: Login to read 04/01/2015 09:36 PM CDT
> Benefits of people wanting to get read up before getting engaged or confusion for new players who probably don't have to log in anywhere else on any other entertainment venue to see if they might be interested seem to be overlooked in such a cavalier statement.

This.

This feels like a very heavy barrier to people learning about and exploring the game.

Signed,
Raelee and her Strings

>Speaking to Zyllah, Alyias says, "See? Raelee knows all."
Re: Login to read 04/01/2015 10:44 PM CDT
I'm checking to see what changed.

The 7 day login is intended, but I don't know about the read-only issues right now.

~Wyrom, APM

>>They call him Wyrom, not afraid to get dirty; work all day, in game by 5:30; loresongs eloquent, item embellishment, double speed development... ~Silvean
Re: Login to read 04/02/2015 01:08 AM CDT
By the way, the search also went back to its non-functioning state. I don't know if that's related/useful/known but I think the search was fine for a while after logins being required.

Thanks for clearing up the intention (or apparently clearing up that this isn't intended).
Re: Login to read 04/02/2015 06:08 AM CDT
Pretty sure this is an honest mistake or a temporary thing and not the end of the world.

Check out who's dying any time! https://twitter.com/GSIVDeathLog
Re: Login to read 04/02/2015 08:44 AM CDT
Logging in to read I think is a bit much. As others have said, some times that's how you catch new players, when they read the rules.

I'm totally in favor of having to have an account to edit. And, quite frankly, I'm perfectly willing to let that be part of the bennies of being on a paying account. I don't necessarily want to have inflicted upon me the drivel that some snotnose is putting out because he's managed to scrape together the, oh, wait, absolutely nothing to be able to write all his junk over the summer while he's on vacation.

Not, you know, that I don't have an opinion about the quality of what some people do for free. You know.
Re: Login to read 04/02/2015 10:15 AM CDT
<<Logging in to read I think is a bit much. As others have said, some times that's how you catch new players, when they read the rules. ... I'm totally in favor of having to have an account to edit. And, quite frankly, I'm perfectly willing to let that be part of the bennies of being on a paying account. >>

What Krakii said.

Lyquitta, Cleric of Kuon
Re: Login to read 04/06/2015 05:49 PM CDT
You no longer have to login to read the wiki.

GameMaster Estild
Re: Login to read 04/06/2015 07:40 PM CDT
Thanks, Estild. Very good decision.

--David

"At a moment like this, I can't help but wonder, 'What would Jimmy Buffett do?'"
Re: Login to read 04/06/2015 08:32 PM CDT

>Thanks, Estild. Very good decision.

I'm pretty sure it was an accident and not any decision that closed it in the first place.
Re: Login to read 04/06/2015 09:07 PM CDT
Not even due to me. Just got word that it was fixed and wanted to pass along the news.

GameMaster Estild
Re: Login to read 04/06/2015 09:21 PM CDT
I am grateful; planned, accidental or otherwise.

Thanks!

Doug
Re: Login to read 04/07/2015 03:13 PM CDT
Thanks for the heads-up, Estild, and thanks to the people in the background who got the wiki all fixed up and happy again!

Lyquitta, Cleric of Kuon
Re: Login to read 09/19/2017 08:18 AM CDT
Re: Login to read 09/19/2017 08:19 AM CDT