Symbol of Recall - Known Spells - Bug or WAI? 11/09/2016 06:15 PM CST
I just read the GSWiki entry on Symbol of Recall and noticed it states that "after a resurrection or decay, you will receive a free full spell-up of all spells known to you and the restoration of up to 10-20 foreign spells that were present on you at the time of death (using whatever duration and magnitude they possessed at the time of your death)."

My warrior will get every spell he had back up to the duration left at time of death...except for 101 and 401. Why? Because he knows them, for those he gets just one cast's duration each. That can be over 3 hours less than he had when he died.

My magic user gets exactly one cast of all their known spells but the full remaining duration of any other spells he had (usually the wizardlies).

My interpretation of full spell-up is 4 hours. Now the meaning intended there might be "full spell-up = One cast of each known spell". I would argue that isn't optimal. I am guessing the intent was to get you started but to respell entirely would be up to you, since you know them anyway. That can take quite a while if you have 20 some spells to recast, many of them taking 5 casts to be fully spelled.

IMHO I think you should get at least the durations you had on dying if not the full 4 hours for spells you know.

Just throwing it out there.

Olgre's pea brain
Re: Symbol of Recall - Known Spells - Bug or WAI? 11/10/2016 05:52 PM CST
>IMHO I think you should get at least the durations you had on dying if not the full 4 hours for spells you know.

I think either the duration you had at death, or the most you can do in a single cast (cast 2, cast 3, cast 4, ...), whichever is greater, would be fair.
Re: Symbol of Recall - Known Spells - Bug or WAI? 11/11/2016 06:06 AM CST
Its WAI, it makes some sort of sense for pures but is perverse on squares.
Voln Symbol changes in "recent" years? 01/23/2017 12:53 PM CST

Hello,

Could someone please explain the changes to voln symbols in the past 7 or so years to me. Just got back after a long hiatus and can't seem to find documentation concerning changes. If I understand this correctly voln-fu was removed (I assume when monks were introduced and unarmed combat changed but not sure) and new symbols were added as well as old ones changed?
Re: Voln Symbol changes in "recent" years? 01/23/2017 01:50 PM CST
>> explain the changes to voln symbols in the past 7 or so years

Two handy resources that I hope will allow for you to quickly start this path.

Old symbols - https://gswiki.play.net/Old_Voln_symbols

New order and symbols - https://gswiki.play.net/Order_of_Voln

If you're back after 7 years, you'll likely find a great deal of information about changes on the Wiki. The search function is pretty good. And many of us will be happy to point out references on the Wiki if searching isn't intuitive (which happens more than I like).

Doug
Re: Voln Symbol changes in "recent" years? 01/23/2017 09:20 PM CST
< If I understand this correctly voln-fu was removed (I assume when monks were introduced and unarmed combat changed but not sure) and new symbols were added as well as old ones changed?>

The links already posted should explain the differences well, though if you have a specific questions by all means feel free to ask.

Your assumption is correct though, the Voln symbol changes, monks, and the unarmed changes were all released at the same time. If I remember correctly, the symbols were released first then UAC and monks were about a week later. In the process Voln-fu was removed, though the Kai's Strike symbol does allow Voln members that use UAC to hunt without needing blessed boots/gloves.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.