Voln smite defaulting to "precise attempts" 07/05/2015 07:36 PM CDT
I just learned smite and I am disappointed that AIMING applies to smite. I think this is adding an extra second to my smites.

Is there every any tactical reason why someone would want to make a "precise attempt" when utilizing the smite verb? I think the answer is no, so why does smite check for aim settings?
Re: Voln smite defaulting to "precise attempts" 07/05/2015 09:56 PM CDT
There really isn't any, since it doesn't do any damage unless you have flaring UAC gear that will flare on undead. Even then, those flares can't be aimed, so it's just a second timesink. The only tactical advantage I could think of would be if you aimed at a location the mob was favoring at the time, in order to make the SMITE corporeal effect last longer (possibly?) and potentially tier up (...possibly?!).

So given that I noticed it too, I set up my SMITE Stormfront macro to /xaimclear/rsmite/r, which clears whatever I may have been typing (a failsafe), clears my AIM location (because of that RT), then SMITEs (le desired effect).

Personally, I have that mapped to SHIFT+TAB, because TAB is /xaim head/rambush/r, and CTRL+TAB is /xaim left leg/rambush/r. You don't need to do similar, but that's a glimpse into how I deal with noncorporeal undead- turn them corporeal with a Smite, then just brain them. Easy peasy nice and squeezy.

-james, bristenn's player

You think to yourself, "FFF-"
A giant white bunny hurls a powerful lightning bolt at you!
You evade the bolt by a hair!

Re: Voln smite defaulting to "precise attempts" 07/05/2015 11:36 PM CDT
>Is there every any tactical reason why someone would want to make a "precise attempt" when utilizing the smite verb? I think the answer is no, so why does smite check for aim settings?

A fair point, and I'll update that with the next unarmed combat update (spoiler: there's at least one more coming for HSN).
Re: Voln smite defaulting to "precise attempts" 07/06/2015 01:13 AM CDT
Wow, looking forward to seeing what the upcoming unarmed combat update is going to be.

And, thank you!
Re: Voln smite defaulting to "precise attempts" 07/31/2015 09:29 PM CDT
"A fair point, and I'll update that with the next unarmed combat update (spoiler: there's at least one more coming for HSN)."

So, since we had an unarmed combat update this week that did not include this update, is it fair to infer that we have another combat update coming that will include this?

Just curious, I can wait and see if need be...
Re: Voln smite defaulting to "precise attempts" 08/02/2015 10:56 PM CDT
>So, since we had an unarmed combat update this week that did not include this update, is it fair to infer that we have another combat update coming that will include this?

I was wondering if someone would notice that. The inference is reasonable, yes. Although in fairness, when I said that, I actually did intend to put it in for this update. It was easier to let it go out with the next one (guaranteed) however, rather than juggle different code versions now.
Re: Voln smite defaulting to "precise attempts" 08/04/2015 04:58 PM CDT
Thanks for the information, looking forward to the next update!
Re: Voln smite defaulting to "precise attempts" 09/13/2015 11:28 PM CDT

Is this change still in QC?
Re: Voln smite defaulting to "precise attempts" 09/14/2015 10:35 AM CDT
Didn't it go through with the UAC MSTRIKE? Seems to be working on my end.
Re: Voln smite defaulting to "precise attempts" 09/20/2015 01:51 AM CDT

Ohh, sweet it does look like it went through. Now I can smite in 4 seconds, its going to be much more useful. Many thanks!
Re: Voln smite defaulting to "precise attempts" 09/20/2015 07:12 AM CDT
I think you will still need qstrike (or some other haste technique). In my experience 3s is the critical RT to achieve. At 4s the follow up attack will not beat the expiry time when the smite is minimum duration but at 3s it will.
Re: Voln smite defaulting to "precise attempts" 09/20/2015 01:23 PM CDT

I thought 5 seconds was the minimum expiry time.
Re: Voln smite defaulting to "precise attempts" 09/20/2015 05:21 PM CDT
>I thought 5 seconds was the minimum expiry time.

It is. However my experience is that I need 2s inside that. Not just with smite, but pretty much anywhere I am trying to fit an action inside a critter timer, my RT has to be 2s less than the timer on the critter or its not going to happen. A critter with a 6s action time will nail me every time if I try to stance dance a 5s RT swing inside that. Phantom RT rounds up to a second, and then the critter wins the tiebreak for actions processed on the same tick is what I think happens but it might be related to the same thing that will sometimes cause you to have a second of RT from a zero RT action. Whatever the cause, I often find the critter is incorporeal when swinging as soon as possible after a 4s RT smite.
Re: Voln smite defaulting to "precise attempts" 09/21/2015 09:23 PM CDT

Wow, that couldn't have been the design intent (I remember an old name in red post saying that there should be sufficient time to follow up against a "smitten" target).
Re: Voln smite defaulting to "precise attempts" 09/21/2015 10:00 PM CDT
Smite has a duration of one second per ten points of success margin in the final endroll, multiplied by the tier, with a minimum of five seconds and a maximum of 30 seconds. Tiering success rates are the same for corporeal and non-corporeal foes, so I suggest achieving tier two or three before smiting when you wish an increased duration.
Re: Voln smite defaulting to "precise attempts" 09/22/2015 06:12 AM CDT
If you are going to wait till you get to excellent, you'll normally be better bleeding it out. Non corps usually have relatively low hit points. Decent is only going to pay if you have a weapon, because even if you get a UAC attack in before it expires, you aren't going to tier up to the point where a kill shot is possible.

Those timings mean that in my experience, a haste effect of 1s is worth 60,30,20 on the die roll at decent, good, excellent and if you want to make more than niche use of smite you should have some means of getting that. Qstrike worked fine for me once its syntax was sorted for UAC. If the attack that got me good position gave an opening for excellent, I'd take it, but my normal tactic was qstrike smite at good position. (I also found qstrike useful for speeding up tiering when I needed to make an ineffectual attack like jab or grapple to gain a tier - if jab opening then qstrike jab)

Another problem with using smite is that it forces me to kill fading critters at the wrong time for looting. I'd still get to loot half of them, but the timing requirements of smite negated the tactics I have for making that 90-95% if I'm bleeding them out. The extra couple of seconds from qstrike is also significant for getting loot when using smite.
Re: Voln smite defaulting to "precise attempts" 09/25/2015 10:59 AM CDT
<If you are going to wait till you get to excellent, you'll normally be better bleeding it out. Non corps usually have relatively low hit points.>

There are notable exceptions to this, though. Swordsmen in RR, for example, have enough HPs I'm not sure I could stand hunting them without Pain or Smite... but since they're the highest level critters in town, I'll eventually have to with my empath (I gave it about half a second of thought with my archer before deciding I just wasn't that big of a masochist).

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Voln smite defaulting to "precise attempts" 09/25/2015 05:12 PM CDT
>(I gave it about half a second of thought with my archer before deciding I just wasn't that big of a masochist).

Its the density in the basement that was the reason I left town when I started getting those bounties. No chance of getting to use a smite because of the swarms. Bad enough trying to tier up before getting swarmed, but tier up and smite and get a follow up before getting swarmed just wasn't possible in there.
Re: Voln smite defaulting to "precise attempts" 09/25/2015 10:02 PM CDT
<Bad enough trying to tier up before getting swarmed, but tier up and smite and get a follow up before getting swarmed just wasn't possible in there.>

I haven't found it to swarm near as badly as the Jungle, though it can take quite a bit of patience if you can't kill things quickly down there. If smite worked with MSTRIKE, I could see it being possible though, if one was careful about when they attacked.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Voln smite defaulting to "precise attempts" 09/26/2015 12:06 AM CDT
I was able to get a swing in with 4 second smites, just before the creature turned back.