syntax for using non-mass offensive voln symbols feels like 1999 04/12/2015 12:29 AM CDT
I am new to voln, and I tried using "symb dim". Instead of applying the attack either to my current target, or the first create in the room (which is what happens when I use cman sweep, attack, mstrike, mstrike target, incant 410, or anything else I can think of right now), I get back a prompt saying "I could not find what you are referring to".

After some asking around I found out that the monster's name needs to follow "symb dim", like "symb dim mummy".

This is disappointing to me, because I like to have macros free of monster names. Like a macro stanc o/ att/r, or stanc o/r mstr targ/r. That way, my macros work no matter what creature I am fighting. I can always use the target command to switch targets if I don't want to attack the first target in the room. Back in 1999, I would change my macros every time I hunting a new creature, and couldn't adjust if I ran into an unexpected creature (like in an invasion). Hence the title of this post... I cant believe I have to go back to this to make use of the voln symbols that are offensive against a single target???

So, in summary:
1. let me know if I laid this out correctly (I guess I could be missing something)
2. can this be changed to work like all my other attacks?
3. is there a third party software solution if 2 will not happen?

Re: syntax for using non-mass offensive voln symbols feels like 1999 04/12/2015 04:43 AM CDT
simple verbs normally autotarget, complex ones normally don't and it is a pain

kill - autotargets
cman cmanname - typically will work on the current target but return an error message rather than autotargetting if there isn't one

Using "target" in the macro helps to force an autotarget in at least some cases, I don't know if it does for symbol symbolname target.
Re: syntax for using non-mass offensive voln symbols feels like 1999 04/12/2015 05:07 AM CDT

You are now targeting a skeleton.
>symb dim target
What were you referring to?

>symb dim skel
You draw a glowing pattern in the air before a skeleton.
The skeleton appears diminished!
Re: syntax for using non-mass offensive voln symbols feels like 1999 04/13/2015 06:58 AM CDT
You can always stick a cursor in your macros. I think this is usually the @ symbol, but it depends on your FE.

Then you hit your macro, type something and hit enter.

I agree it's a bit 1999, but it works.

The most strange part, to me, is that Voln was overhauled in the last couple years or so. If it was just the old Voln I'd totally understand, but it does seem strange that this wasn't brought up to modern standards in the review.

Check out who's dying any time! https://twitter.com/GSIVDeathLog
Re: syntax for using non-mass offensive voln symbols feels like 1999 04/13/2015 03:48 PM CDT

Would you explain the cursor a little more, or give me a link to where it is explained. Thank you!
Re: syntax for using non-mass offensive voln symbols feels like 1999 04/14/2015 03:32 AM CDT
Not sure but here is roughly how I would do it in the old days using the Wizard FE (I think it works the same in StormFront but I also don't use that, either).

You example was like this: stanc o/ att/r

Or your test-case here: symb dim target

Let me show a slightly more complicated version, then show you for your case. In the old days, we had no targeting for spells, and had to cast them at our foe. We also had no incant in general, so for Mana Disruption my macro looked like this:

prep 702\r cast at @

The first prepares 702, send it, and then "cast at " is put to my command prompt with the cursor at the @ symbols. At least, as memory serves, this was the way.

So, you should just be able to do something like:

symb dim @

Then "symb dim " will be typed out on your command prompt, and you just type "skel" and hit enter.

If you want to do it like a lich alias, you can have a look at some of my examples, but they are NOT macros:

smash => ;execq waitrt?; multifput "stance off","attack \?"; sleep 1; waitrt?; fput "stance def"

That one will work with or without a parameter. Thus "smash" alone just attacks whatever is TARGETed (or select randomly...I don't think it's ever been the top of the room? Anyway). And "smash other troll" will attack the other troll. Of course this also includes stance dancing.

So, you can do this:

;alias add dimin=;eq waitrt? fput("symbol of dimin \?");

(hopefully exactly like I wrote you can paste into lich, assuming you like the style.

Then you can (without any preceeding . or ; characters)

>dimin mummy

And avoid a little typing.

I know the above isn't exactly what you wanted, but I hope it still helps some. It would be fairly straight forward to write a lich script to grab a target in the room and use the symbol on it, but this seems to me like it loses the control of how to choose the target yourself. It would be definitely good in the case of a single target, and then putting the script on a macro. Let me think about that one...

Re: syntax for using non-mass offensive voln symbols feels like 1999 04/14/2015 03:36 AM CDT
As far as where to look for your particular front end, usually there's a little cheat-sheet of special characters at the bottom of the adding macros popup, right?

It might have something like "@: Cursor Placement" but I've no specific memory...

Re: syntax for using non-mass offensive voln symbols feels like 1999 04/14/2015 05:53 AM CDT
"@" is a way of positioning the cursor in the middle of a macro. Its redundant if you use it at the end.

e.g. the join command in cobbling often needs two targets and when it does, the SF link stops working even though there is only one thing they can be. As a workround I use macros like this one and type in whatever is on the form (hide, skin etc.)

\xjoin @ on form with my leather

while my unstun macro just looks like

\xrelease\r prep 108\r cast

and then I type the name of the stunned character (or if its a regular partner I have a macro to chain for them)

partnername\r

If you've just got a few possible critter targets, you could do the same thing with your symbol macros, hit one macro for the symbol, and another for the particular critter.

\xsym dimin
\xsym holi
mummy\r
skele\r
ghoul\r
vaesp\r

First keystroke chooses the symbol, second directs it at the specified critter.
Re: syntax for using non-mass offensive voln symbols feels like 1999 04/14/2015 09:14 AM CDT
>"@" is a way of positioning the cursor in the middle of a macro. Its redundant if you use it at the end.

Well, yes in this case. But perhaps he was thinking something more complicated like involving it to some other kind of more extended macro...

Re: syntax for using non-mass offensive voln symbols feels like 1999 04/14/2015 11:16 AM CDT
Thanks guys, this helps a lot. It was worth posting here for your help alone, but I also hope my posting about this leads to a change/update down the road.

Going to echo this:
"The most strange part, to me, is that Voln was overhauled in the last couple years or so. If it was just the old Voln I'd totally understand, but it does seem strange that this wasn't brought up to modern standards in the review."

...because you said it perfectly.
Re: syntax for using non-mass offensive voln symbols feels like 1999 04/14/2015 12:17 PM CDT
Very welcome. We're all here to see how we can help, or you know, let our fingers spill our brains in text form.

You mentioned something about requiring 3rd party software. I was thinking to work on a script to resolve this issue (it seems really easy).

So would you prefer it in .wiz style or is .lic okay? I'm trying to learn more lich scripting myself, and I have a character in Voln. Also usually lich scripting is a fraction of the code as a wiz script, even if it takes me often longer to do it finding the sneaky tricks...

(Probably I can resolve the issue you asked about with a lich alias, which could be called with a macro.)

Re: syntax for using non-mass offensive voln symbols feels like 1999 04/14/2015 06:47 PM CDT
.lic is definitely ok