I am not able to enter the hall for the next symbol 01/19/2015 03:10 AM CST

Whenever I try to enter the hall to advance to the next Voln symbol I get the following message:

"You try to walk into the east hall, but a strange resistance holds you back. It is as if the air itself were blocking your way."

Yet, I get this message when I pray in the meditation room:

"After a few moments of prayer and reflection you see a vision of a pool of clear water. You dive in and swim to the bottom where you find a gold coin engraved with the image of Voln. An overwhelming feeling makes you realize that you are indeed ready to take the next step along the Path to Enlightenment."

Can anyone help me out and let me know what is going on? I have been killing a lot of undead and still have not been able to advance to the second symbol. Is it a bug? Is there something else I need to do?

James
Re: I am not able to enter the hall for the next symbol 01/19/2015 04:10 AM CST
Hopefully my reply isn't a no-no spoiler.

Here's basically how progressing in Voln works.

1) You kill some undead

2) Once you've killed enough undead, you return to the furthest room you can reach in the hall with all the monks. Then you wait, and you are assigned an additional task. Go complete that task.

3) Return again to the same room. Now you will get promoted to the next step, and can go one room further to see the next monk (without the air blocking you). If you do this right away (after gaining a new step), the monk is going to tell you to re-dedicate yourself to the Order and slay some more undead. But you can get to that next room.

If you forget the assignment, I think they will remind you, or even give you further hints. But just wait in the last room you can get to for the monk to instruct you on how you should honor whichever Arkati is in charge of the step.

If you get really stuck, or for some reason the monk is refusing to remind you what to do, you can surely dig up a guide explaining more details than I am free to post here. I don't recall, but it might show up under SOCIETY TASK (though, I kind of recall that in Voln your only task message is to 'go kill moar undead, k thx')

>Kayse scrambles to avoid being sucked into the void!
Re: I am not able to enter the hall for the next symbol 01/19/2015 05:11 AM CST
There's a random component in the prayer result, if you are close but not quite there you can get the ready message.

You can also get the same effect as a result of levelling after praying.

Either way you are a few % short and need to release a few more undead.
Re: I am not able to enter the hall for the next symbol 01/19/2015 08:22 AM CST
While Daid and Rathboner's replies were useful (especially if you have not yet completed the task), the OP's problem was directional...

[Hall of Brotherhood - 3684]
Members of the order walk along the stone floor under the graceful arch of the ceiling in hushed conversation, their footsteps echoing as they pass by. Tapestries depicting key events in the order cover the walls extending eastward. You also see the east hall, a white door and a plain wooden door.
Obvious exits: south, west
>go hal
[Master's Hall - 3685]
The arched ceiling ends in a flat wall whose entire face is made of glass framed in arches of pure white ora. Beyond the glass is a long row of greenery interspersed with flowers and shrubs. Sunken into the floor is a lounge with tables and soft couches. Intricate tapestries decorate the walls with scenes of the struggle to free the undead. You also see an intricate tapestry, a silver globe and a large parchment.
Obvious exits: west

From the Hall of Brotherhood, the way to get to the monks is through the graceful arch, not the hall. The Master's Hall is for characters who have mastered the society.

>go arc
[Path to Enlightenment - 18212]
You are standing under a covered walkway that extends in a wide circle surrounding a vast garden. Small trees, plants and flowers artfully adorn the area which is landscaped around several fountained terraces. Nearly taking your breath away, this part of the walkway is adorned with a brightly tiled mosaic of Tonis. You also see a monk.
Obvious exits: northwest, out

/seo/
Re: I am not able to enter the hall for the next symbol 01/19/2015 11:21 AM CST

The solution was directional.

Thanks Seo!

James