UAC and setting of 'target' 11/05/2017 07:56 AM CST
I know I saw something recently where a GM replied, but I couldn't recall what Category it was in. So I'll pose my question here.

The post in question was a player asking why his attack was going at critterY, when he thought he was targeting critterX; the GM response was that from the MStrike he'd just done, the target got reset to the <the last critter struck>, which happened to be critterY.

Can someone tell me if I'm headed the right direction with how this works?
* Given: 4 creatures in the room, my 'target' is #3.
- If I do any kind of 'normal' attack (attack, kill, ambush, jab, punch, kick, grapple), it will affect that one? [expect 'true']
- If I have 'cman flurry' active, and I do a 'jab', the extra will go to #4. [expect 'true']
- If I do an open 'mstrike', it starts with #1, and NOT my 'target' (and then wrap around to the top). [expect 'true', since I believe this is what I have just observed this morning.]
- Same mstrike: my 'target' will be reset to <the last creature my MOC ranks allow for number of strikes> that I attack. [expect 'true', since this is what the GM said.]
- Same flurry: if I hit another creature after the first, my 'target' REMAINS UNAFFECTED (i.e. "still set to #3"). [expect 'true', since this is what I have just observed this morning.]
* So my question: if MStrike re-sets the target, why doesn't Flurry's effect, also? (I know, I know: "design intent".) Shouldn't they be consistent?
Re: UAC and setting of 'target' 11/05/2017 09:11 AM CST
I thought Mstrike got changed after that discussion so that it wasn't always changing your target to the worst possible choice in the room any more.
Re: UAC and setting of 'target' 11/05/2017 09:21 AM CST
>> I thought Mstrike got changed after that discussion so that it wasn't always changing your target to the worst possible choice in the room any more.

From my experience it still does this.

-- Robert

Damp deeply exclaims, "It's a wizard's locked project!"
Re: UAC and setting of 'target' 11/05/2017 09:51 AM CST
The difference with Flurry vs. MStrike is that Flurry just gives you extra jabs (not combos resulting from a jab) to other creatures in the room, but MStrike will allow for follow-up/combos to go into effect on each creature attacked in sequence. Flurry won't change your target, and I am sure nobody would want it too!

And by the way you summed it up nicely as to what happens with MStrike. Whenever I used MStrike on my monk, I always check what the last target I hit, and if that is not the target I want to focus on, I use TARGET <whatever> to change it before my next attack.

~Contemplar~
Re: UAC and setting of 'target' 11/05/2017 10:32 AM CST
>>And by the way you summed it up nicely as to what happens with MStrike. Whenever I used MStrike on my monk, I always check what the last target I hit, and if that is not the target I want to focus on, I use TARGET <whatever> to change it before my next attack.

Which presents its own challenges in the case where your foes are all the same creature. Especially when your survival tactic is to lessen the odds immediately (from 3 to 2, say).

Most of us probably don't know much about (or use?) ASSESS UNARMED though.

assess unarmed
.....(first) creature - good positioning, vulnerable to a jab attack
.....(second) creature - excellent positioning
.....(third) creature - no meaningful position
.....(fourth) creature - dead!

(periods added to mimic game output on forums)

Doug
Re: UAC and setting of 'target' 11/05/2017 10:35 AM CST
Oh, yeah! Which reminds me o-by-the-way:

Can we please move ASSESS UNARMED to a 'game command' rather than a 'character command'? Immediate benefit - use outside of RT (like, say, just after that massive screen scroll caused by MSTRIKE).

Doug
Re: UAC and setting of 'target' 11/05/2017 01:07 PM CST
Already put that in one of my QOL requests a few messages ago, Doug. :)

I put 'assess unarmed' in as the second command of Ctrl+S(tamina), so I see both how much stamina I have available to spend as well as the status of what's in the room.
And it's the second one so that I can hit a quick NumPad Enter to repeat it, in case I'm still in RT when it gets there.
Re: UAC and setting of 'target' 11/05/2017 01:19 PM CST
>>Already put that in one of my QOL requests a few messages ago, Doug. :)

Yeah, yeah - that was so last September ago.

Ok, supporting Robert's QoL request. Please?

Doug