Weighting or Flares? 10/09/2015 07:51 PM CDT
What do you guys typically use?

Right now I've utilizing fire flaring gauntlets in combination with a fire flaring slash-fist to help burn down troll warcamps quickly. Flurry+Mstrike is a wonderful combination. Stacking sigil of minor bane on top of this made me recognize how powerful jabs/punches can become under the tier conditions of good/excellent positioning so I've bought myself some SWDW gauntlets (dropping the slash-fist in the process so as to not negate half the glove's weighting).

Would it be better to simply stack minor bane with the gloves and still use the slash-fist for flares? Realistically, if I'm making frequent use of mstrike/flurry, which is going to come out ahead in raw DPS? Would crit weighting offer more value with jab strikes? Would it be overkill with punches/grapples?

I'm hoping that EG might have some kind of raffle for weighting..or something! I want to focus on designing and investing in a solid UAC set through whatever merchant services I can get.
Re: Weighting or Flares? 10/10/2015 08:13 AM CDT
I used flaring gloves, always empty handed. UAC with a weapon almost never pays. You'd need an uber script on the weapon that you couldn't get on gloves to make it worth doing as normal practice.
Crit weighting would pay for sufficiently heavily armored foes. (Those few critters where it pays to go tier to excellent rather than going for the kill shot at good)
Damage weighting (if you can get it high enough) will suit your style but was useless to me since the critters I needed to bleed out were undead.
Re: Weighting or Flares? 10/10/2015 01:01 PM CDT
Since your attacks are going to tend to be very quick, my normal answer would be "flares" every time. Same reason I advocate it for Haste or Song of Tonis users, and "small fast weapons" for Sonic Weapon bards.

Damage-weighting would also be a fair choice, because the extra hit-points of damage happen on EVERY swing. But it's tough to come by highly damage-weighted stuff.
Re: Weighting or Flares? 10/10/2015 01:30 PM CDT
In the case of UAC, however, the flare rate is adjusted to account for this quick speed (AFAIK).
Re: Weighting or Flares? 10/10/2015 02:27 PM CDT
>In the case of UAC, however, the flare rate is adjusted to account for this quick speed (AFAIK).

Pretty sure that's untrue if just using one flaring item. I have some UAC gear that flares more often than any other weapon I have used.

The only adjustments I am aware of with UAC with regards to flares is if you use hand held flaring weapons as well as flaring gloves...then the rate of each weapon is reduced substantially.
Re: Weighting or Flares? 09/24/2016 08:45 AM CDT
Duno if it's just the 'luck of the draw' but I feel like my new non-crit weighted handwraps are getting lower MM than my crit weighted handwraps. Is this just a coincidence or are crit-weighted gloves garnering a higher MM for another reason?
Re: Weighting or Flares? 09/24/2016 08:56 AM CDT
Ex) my 'lowest' MM with the weighted gloves doing a punch (in full plate, 200 armor ranks, rank 5 armored evasion, a buckler, shielded brawler maxed out and a knuckleblade and mastered punch mastery) was never as low as 61 but my new gloves i'm hitting 60's for MM.
Re: Weighting or Flares? 09/24/2016 09:44 AM CDT
If you came across an unusually high level variant of a critter, the MM you could get off that critter would be rather lower than against the normal one. The BCS +5 spawn is relatively rare, so the effect of a bad EBP roll against one will only be seen very rarely and you'd need a lot of data to check through (preferably with critter levels checked via fame for killing them too) to be sure you weren't seeing that rather than another effect.
Re: Weighting or Flares? 09/24/2016 01:09 PM CDT
The OP seems to be implying that they're going off a fair number of attacks against different individual critters.

Assuming EVERYTHING else is equal (your level, training, critter type, gear, enchantment of the two sets of gloves, etc) and you're seeing a noticeable difference in your MM range, it's likely that the weighting is giving it a boost. However, you'd need a huge number of attacks from each to pin down exactly how much due to the random element included in the formula.

I can't find any info that specifically states weighting on gloves/boots affects MM (and can't recall it mentioned in any official posts), but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if it did. Just about everything else about your character, opponent, and gear seems to affect it one way or the other.

Ultimately, if you're using one set of gloves over the other to increase your chances of scoring a hit, you'd probably be better off stowing your knuckleblade or getting into a lower ASG armor.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.