HSN: Unarmed Combat Updates 06/24/2015 09:28 PM CDT
Unarmed combat users should now have an easier time when dealing with elemental creatures. Attacking elementals without cold/hot flaring weapons will now mimic it's melee counterparts. Attacking elementals without proper gear (enchanted gauntlet's/boots) is still not recommended, but will result in much less damage than seen previously. Happy brawling!

-Viduus
Re: HSN: Unarmed Combat Updates 06/25/2015 09:00 AM CDT
How is dragonclaw treated? I think it used to hit critters that required magical gear to be hit. e.g. I think it worked to hit fire cats which were elemental enough to require magic to hit them but not elemental enough to remove your arm when you did.
Re: HSN: Unarmed Combat Updates 06/25/2015 06:48 PM CDT
Hitting an elemental with dragonsclaw active, but no enchanted gauntlets/boots will result in minor damage (5-10 points normally) to your limbs with each attack. So you can attack without enchanted gear, it's just not overly recommended.

The closet comparison to a UAC/dragonsclaw attack would be something like an ebladed melee weapon attack. Elementals actually dispel eblade, but it seemed really harsh to dispel dragonsclaw for this rare situation, hence the cursory damage.

-Viduus
Re: HSN: Unarmed Combat Updates 06/25/2015 10:04 PM CDT

could we make all brawling weapons uac friendly? brawling weapons aren't that popular in general,why give people another reason not to use them
Re: HSN: Unarmed Combat Updates 06/25/2015 10:13 PM CDT
>could we make all brawling weapons uac friendly? brawling weapons aren't that popular in general,why give people another reason not to use them

If anything, I'd go the opposite direction and disallow use of any. I don't plan on doing either, though.
Re: HSN: Unarmed Combat Updates 06/25/2015 10:32 PM CDT
Considering the fact that there is a trade off (MM drops when using a weapon in hand) my rogue never uses even a weapon that is UAC compatible. The last time I can think she needed one was on Teras; she picked up a cold flaring weapon for use on the fire critters there. It sounds like this sort of thing is no longer necessary if one is using enchanted gloves/footwear?

"So, what does that green line on the graph represent?"
"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: HSN: Unarmed Combat Updates 06/26/2015 06:29 AM CDT
>Considering the fact that there is a trade off (MM drops when using a weapon in hand) my rogue never uses even a weapon that is UAC compatible. The last time I can think she needed one was on Teras; she picked up a cold flaring weapon for use on the fire critters there. It sounds like this sort of thing is no longer necessary if one is using enchanted gloves/footwear?

There's an experience bonus for being empty handed as well. You really need legendary class weaponry to make it worth holding it on a UAC character.

You could have used cold flaring gloves/boots instead on Teras. While blessables will now work, you still should use cold flaring boots/gloves because you are only up against fire critters and get high flare damage. Its the Confluence which this change make huntable instead of impossible with UAC due to the simultaneous presence of different elemental types.
Re: HSN: Unarmed Combat Updates 06/27/2015 07:22 AM CDT

What that's it?

No, Grapple is now replaced with throw?
No, Wraps now come in one piece that cover both hands and feet?
No, We can now wear leather arm and leg greaves that add to our DS or enhance TD?

Just the elements thing huh?
Re: HSN: Unarmed Combat Updates 06/27/2015 11:29 AM CDT
<No, Grapple is now replaced with throw?
No, Wraps now come in one piece that cover both hands and feet?
No, We can now wear leather arm and leg greaves that add to our DS or enhance TD?>

1. Grapple is great (messaging anyway)
2. Want to wear a onesie?
3. This would have to go to all characters, everyone isn't getting DBs and TD. Better suggestion is TD through a monk spell or lores. DS isn't really a problem.
Re: HSN: Unarmed Combat Updates 06/27/2015 12:25 PM CDT
>1. Grapple is great (messaging anyway)

Messaging only. Grapple is a way of sacrificing combat effectiveness for flavor. Its not a bad thing to have moves that are mainly about the flavor, provided the basics are in place (but for UAC they aren't).
Re: HSN: Unarmed Combat Updates 06/27/2015 12:47 PM CDT
Grapple's got some fine status effects tied into it, utility-wise, at least. https://gswiki.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Grapple_critical_table_(UCS)

It ideally comes in handy when you're picking and choosing locations, especially against say casters that don't drop from crits. Punch and Kick are more along the lines of your big hitters- punch for the speed, kick for the bigshow. As an example, during the latest Kenstrom invasions, up against uncrittable and dangerously near-cap or post-cap casters, I've been doing neck and head grapples to keep them from casting- especially when they ignore BCS standards.

Admittedly though, while I use UAC a lot, it's not my main attack (which is twohanded melee), but it works pretty okay mixed in. Doesn't mean it couldn't use some work, though.

-james, bristenn's player

You think to yourself, "FFF-"
A giant white bunny hurls a powerful lightning bolt at you!
You evade the bolt by a hair!

Re: HSN: Unarmed Combat Updates 07/09/2015 05:42 PM CDT
<<<Messaging only. Grapple is a way of sacrificing combat effectiveness for flavor. Its not a bad thing to have moves that are mainly about the flavor, provided the basics are in place (but for UAC they aren't).>>>

Couldn't disagree more. Grappling can silence casters, rip limbs off, and is a great finisher (grapple neck--SNAP).

I do miss THROW, though. It's really a seperate category of martial arts that deserves its own verb.

~ GtG
Re: HSN: Unarmed Combat Updates 07/09/2015 06:28 PM CDT
>Couldn't disagree more. Grappling can silence casters, rip limbs off, and is a great finisher (grapple neck--SNAP).

So can punch, and its better at all those things than grapple as well as being faster.